Start by marking “A Night Without Armor” as Want to Read:
A Night Without Armor

A Night Without Armor

3.46  ·  Rating Details ·  3,426 Ratings  ·  246 Reviews
One of the most respected artists in popular music today, Jewel is much more than a music industry success with her debut album selling more than 10 million copies.

Before her gifted songwriting comes an even more individual art: Poetry.

Now available in paperback, A Night without Armor highlights the poetry of Jewel taken from her journals which are both intimate and inspir
Published August 3rd 1999 by It Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about A Night Without Armor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Night Without Armor

Alex
Mar 10, 2010 Alex rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009
I loved this book! It is hilarious. Here's my favorite line: "Can you imagine how quiet a plane crash would be if you were deaf?" Lolzers, Jewel. What else would be quiet if you were deaf? *folds hands under chin*

In case you were wondering, this was the second selection for our short-lived Very Bad Book Club. I was the only person motivated enough to actually read it, tragically.
Samantha Newman
Jun 29, 2007 Samantha Newman rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
I read this when I was in high school, way in to poetry. I don't remember it too specifically, and I even think I may have been like "wow, cool poetry" back then, but mainly, probably because I felt like, "Wow if she can get this stuff published I could totally publish my poetry too!" From what I am remembering, it's not good poetry. Sorry Jewel.
Jessica
Apr 27, 2010 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I picked this book up because of the beautiful and meaningful title, A Night Without Armor. How telling. But as I began to read each and every page filled with the chorus of a life, I realized that it was so much more than a book of poems, but more a memoir of a woman's life written in poem form. This compilation is fantastic.

Here is my favorite poem of all the ones in the book, so spoiler alert, or simply a sampling from a grouping of poems that I recommend any writer or poet to read.

"So Just
Val
Jun 23, 2008 Val rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
This book marked the beginning of an on-going passionate love affair I have with free verse poetry. Imperfect, raw, simple, and beautiful. It is not the "best" poetry, but a great initial read for those who may be wary of poetry. I think most will find within the book poems they can relate to, poems to roll your eyes at, poems to hate, and poems to read a thousand times over. And, you just might say, hey I could write this stuff, and begin your own love affair with writing and reading poetry. I ...more
Rachel Hope Miranda
Apr 13, 2011 Rachel Hope Miranda rated it really liked it
Jewel’s A Night Without Armor quickly became an inspiration for my own writing, after first reading it. I had been familiar with Jewel’s music, and was more then shocked when I found a book of poetry by her. Her collection’s honesty spoke to me. I admit there were some poems that, at the time, I did not understand or necessarily like, but overall the collection was marvelous. Her poems were open, truthful even and raw; there were so many instances where I felt “I’ve thought this, but never had t ...more
Luke Reynolds
I first heard of Jewel when I saw a music video of hers on VH1 in 2006. "Again and Again", the lead single to her 2006 album Goodbye Alice in Wonderland, enchanted me, and then I began listening to some of her music. 0304 still stands as one of my favorite albums from childhood, and I now own a copy that I regularly listen to from time to time.

This collection of poems comes from an earlier time, originally released right after her second album in 1998. I remember seeing it at the library when I
SmarterLilac
I read this to get my spirits up about my own writing, which is in something of a slump right now.

It worked.

To be fair, it's not all bad. But in these 109 (!) pieces, there are only a few that didn't make me laugh out loud, and not in a good way. Rarely have I read poetry so inane or sophomoric, yet so serious in tone and subject matter and all the worse for it. I wonder if Jewel has any idea how terrible these are?

Now--the question of what to do with this book next. Inflict it on a used book st
Missy LaRae
May 07, 2012 Missy LaRae rated it really liked it
I really appreciated this book by Jewel. While some of the poems were just not for me, she has such an amazing grasp on emotions and how to bring them to life in short bursts that I couldn't help but really love this short book.

I was given this book as a gift in 1999 while I was deployed to Bosnia, and I read it many times while I was on duty and on my time off. It was one of the only books I had, and it gave me great moments of joy while in an otherwise depressing situation.

Definitely recomme
Donald Armfield
Mar 02, 2013 Donald Armfield rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
The Alaskan beauty Jewel lets us look into some of her writings that she kept to herself just reading to friends and family.

She talks about men looking at her breast a few times for us guys seeing would be better.

Some of these poetries read like a diary. My favorites

Bukowski's Window
Taking The Slave
Sun Bathing
Vincent Said
Sara Said
Parking Lot
Anthony
Mar 08, 2009 Anthony rated it did not like it

Pretentious crap. Still, it's the most successful poetry book of all time. It almost makes me wish that every folksy pop star would put out a book of poetry, just so one of them compiles a better book of poetry.

Hannah Montana's "My achy, breaky heart." It would sell 2 million copies.
Marrie
Apr 17, 2015 Marrie rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own, adult, 2015-reads
Rating Clarification: 3.5 Stars

Yes, I read Jewel's book. No, I didn't hate it. Enough said.
Rebecca
Sep 27, 2016 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Totally enjoyed this. Tip: read the Afterword first. Doesn't contain spoilers, but explains this is a collection of Jewel's poetry, from the amateurish teenage years to her best works. I found this inspirational, rather than intimidating.
Travis McClain
I'm not a fan of poetry, but I have recently fallen in love with Jewel as an artist. I came upon this collection of poems and decided to take a chance on them based exclusively on the poet. I found in Jewel's poetry the same elements that I have come to appreciate in her songs. Some of the poems could be excerpts from a memoir; others are the kinds of thoughtful, outside-looking-in perspective on the human condition that make her as much a sociologist as an entertainer.

Jewel's poems are largely
Misti Rainwater-Lites
Mar 10, 2010 Misti Rainwater-Lites rated it did not like it
I saw Jewel in concert in the '90s! Yes! I didn't have to pay for the ticket. RockFest. Fort Worth, Texas. Bush, No Doubt, the Wallflowers, a bunch of other fuckers and JEWEL. I remember during one of her songs she said,"Faggot. It's okay. Say it. Faggot." That was really brave and poetic of her. I don't like this book but I'm glad she wrote it.
Sara
Apr 03, 2009 Sara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really love Jewel - at least her first album is up there in my favorite albums of all time - but her poetry really is just not that good. I hate to say it, but I love poetry, I've read my fair share, and this just wasn't that great. But, if you're into Jewel, I guess it provides a window into her thoughts and feelings.
Lauren Houston
Jan 23, 2008 Lauren Houston rated it did not like it
A friend gave me this book for a birthday gift. We played guitar together, she was teaching me how to play and she only played Jewel songs. She was obsessed. Well, I hated the book. I never told her though.
LaDonna
Oct 19, 2007 LaDonna rated it did not like it
Apparently if you have the slightest stench of celebrity about you, you can get anything published, including completely juvenile and trite poetry that should have stayed in a pretty pink diary under lock and key somewhere.

Christina
Feb 16, 2016 Christina rated it really liked it
I'm rating this '4 stars' as my 17 yo self. I'd like to revisit this as an adult and see if it is actually any good.
Chloe Jane
Dec 07, 2016 Chloe Jane rated it it was amazing
Yyeee my shit yes
Lori Dumelie
Jan 15, 2017 Lori Dumelie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
always loved her Lyrics, but her
poems speak louder.
Daphney
May 02, 2013 Daphney rated it liked it
This is a really lengthy review, so bear with me please.

I highly commend the poems:

You Tell Me (on page 6)
So Just Kiss Me (on page 16)
The Inertia of a Lonely Heart (on page 21)
Infatuation (on page 77)
Lost (on page 94)
I Guess What I Wanted Was (on page 102)

Aside from poem compilations on Wattpad, this is my first actual (published, tangible, etc…etc…) book of poems. I love poetry as much as I love actual stories, and I believe that every poem has a story, in its own right, to tell.
I decided to r
Mark Carey
Nov 15, 2016 Mark Carey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, books-i-own
It shouldn't surprise me that a songwriter would also be a talented poet. After all I am married to one. This collection by Jewel runs the gamut from playful to poignant. As a writer, I know I am into something special when I find myself saying "Damn, I wish I wrote that." In one poem Jewel is describing a kiss in a parking lot when she describes herself as "... stretched between the moon and a Chevrolet." Damn, I wish I wrote that! I own a copy of this book... you should too.
Mark
Jan 04, 2011 Mark rated it liked it
Shelves: poems-poetry
This was a reread. I am not sure when I first read it but I discovered that I bought it 10 years ago this month. I do know that it has been several years. It is also possible that this was the first full book of poetry that I ever read; certainly was one of the earliest. Go ahead. Laugh (or sneer) if you must. But it is better to begin with some poetry than never beginning at all.

I liked Jewel's music quite a bit back then. I still enjoy her early CDs even if I don't listen to them very frequent
Dionne
Mar 06, 2013 Dionne rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I am going to defend this collection of poetry not because I am a fan of Jewel's music. I happily came across a copy of this less than 2 weeks ago at a second-hand bookstore. I did not know that Jewel had a published book of poetry - let alone that it is rather badly received, and from what I gather, mostly for the 'she-only-got-published-because-she-was-a-popstar' reason which I personally feel is bullshit. It's true that most of the poems seem too self-indulgently written and some ways through ...more
J.V. Stanley
Oct 21, 2013 J.V. Stanley rated it really liked it
Opalescent singer/songwriter Jewel’s collection of poetry ‘A Night Without Armor’ ( HarperCollins; May 19, 1998) has been an object for debate. Written when she was roughly 23 years old, she can be compared to a raw and unfiltered Bukowski with elements of Joni Mitchell. At times she appears to be fragmented in her words while in others she seems slightly awkward with language. The overall meat of the poems expound upon the pure unadulterated manifestation of the deepest recesses of her wistful ...more
nimrodiel
There was a sadness to some of the poems in this collection. A few seemed rather flippant and whimsical, and a few grabbed me with their imagery.

These poems are the free form style that is not as hard to grasp as other types of poetry. This poem type worked well with some of the poems that Jewel has written, and made me want to skim over other poems in the book.

I've been a fan of Jewel as a songwriter for years. I very much enjoyed this look into her poetry. It is not as polished as her songs. S
Brooke Linder
I believe this book was truly about jewels feelings toward the person she loved and about people she has met long ago in the past when she was a young girl.She said in her poems what she truly felt about people and herself mostly about people whether it was her boyfriend her father or grandmother they were all about something.I imagine most of the visions in my head of what she was trying to tell these readers and people who read the book through words.In my personal opinion she is a wonderful a ...more
J
Apr 24, 2013 J rated it liked it
I am another for whom the late teens became a time of obsessively devouring both modern poetry and the classics, such as Longfellow and Byron. A friend knew of my love of poetry in all its variations, for my tolerant personality, and for the occasional song I hummed that was Jewels' - she gifted this particular collection of verse to me and I was both surprised and disappointed. In short, there were some that I loved and lines stay with me to this day (15 years later) ...and some I wanted to sel ...more
Jessica
Dec 13, 2014 Jessica rated it liked it
I've owned this for years just because my friend Sam and I would randomly pick it up at Barnes and Noble on a regular basis for our poetry club. It reminded me of those times and it made it worthy of being held on to. I'd never read the whole thing. I knew it would be a fast read and I'm short on my book goal this year so I read it to help catch up a bit (awful, I know).

Here's the thing: poetry is hard for me. I want to like it and understand it but I don't. This I could understand. Some of it
Cherlynn Bennett
Jan 22, 2013 Cherlynn Bennett rated it liked it
honestly, I was obsessed with jewel in high school. I loved her lyrics, her voice, her melodies, her sincerity and her unwavering ability to be her raw, approachable self. at that time she was the only artist that seemed like a real person to me. I was struck by her story of rags to riches and humble beginnings. it gave me hope that life could end up much different if you put in the effort, so when she released a book of poetry I had to have it! I liked a few, but a lot of the poems just didnt m ...more
Around the Year i...: A Night Without Armor, by Jewel 1 9 Sep 23, 2016 11:42AM
  • Ani DiFranco: Verses
  • Hinge & Sign: Poems, 1968-1993
  • The Wind Blows Through the Doors of My Heart: Poems
  • Absolute Trust in the Goodness of the Earth: New Poems
  • A 3rd Serving of Chicken Soup for the Soul:  101 More Stories To Open the Heart and Rekindle the Spirit
  • Blinking with Fists: Poems
  • Dictionary of Mythology
  • Blackbird Singing: Poems and Lyrics, 1965-1999
Jewel Kilcher is an American singer, songwriter, actress, poet and philanthropist, generally known just by her first name, Jewel. She has received three Grammy Award nominations. Her debut album Pieces of You became one of the best selling debut albums of all time going platinum twelve times.
More about Jewel...