Start by marking “Crewel World” as Want to Read:
Crewel World

Crewel World (A Needlecraft Mystery #1)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,853 Ratings  ·  223 Reviews
When Betsy's sister is murdered in her own needlecraft store, Betsy takes over the shop and the investigation.But to find the murderer, she'll have to put together a list of motives and suspects to figure out this killer's pattern of crime...Includes a beautiful embroidery pattern!
Published March 1st 1999 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Crewel World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crewel World

Sarah Sammis
Aug 29, 2007 Sarah Sammis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: released
Crewel World is the first in the Needlecraft Mystery series and probably the last one I'll read. It's supposedly a cozy mystery but I found it one of the most depressing books I've read this year. Usually in a cozy the death of a character isn't the focus of the book except to provide impetus for the main character to solve the crime. Here, though, the tragedy of the death was the central focus for a large chunk of the novel.

Roughly speaking, Crewel World is divided into thirds. The first third
Cheryl
Oct 15, 2015 Cheryl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have read several cozy mystery books and thought I would love this one since it has to do with crafts.

Little did I know that this book would seem to drag on forever and have more mistakes in it than I could count.

I finally got through to the end. But i don't think that I will be reading the rest of the series.
Kirsti
Nov 11, 2015 Kirsti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised to find myself enjoying not only the mystery aspects of this novel, but the knitting parts too! Who knew that a complete novice could still enjoy patterns and purling? Haha, I learned things, though. I really loved the characters as well. Pretty much a perfect mystery read, and someone went to all the trouble to collect these, tie them in a bundle and leave them in an Op Shop, so I now have the entire set! Look out for more reviews of the next couple of books soon :)
Melissa
Jul 08, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crewel World is the first in the Needlecraft series from Monica Ferris.
I like the writing style of this cozy mystery. It left me guessing
"who did it"..until the very end.
If you like needlework, you will LOVE this series!
Dec 15, 2008 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mn-Wi crafters who like a PG mystery.
I picked up this book because I am a knitter who likes mystery's - so it seemed like a good fit. Oh - And it is by a local author which made it a triple threat to my wallet. Had to get it!

The story is set in Excelsior, MN at Margot Berglund's needlework shop Crewel World. She is a widow in her 50's and she has a pretty nice life. Her sister Betsy decides to come and stay with her when her second marriage hits the rocks. Betsy seems somewhat aimless and it seemed like she came to be with her si
Heather
Nov 10, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in a series that's being shared around in my church choir. I like cozy mysteries and I was pretty well stalled on my other reading and falling behind on my goal of a book a month for the year. So... I picked it up and started reading it.

It was an excellent read and went quickly. I did not read that blurb on the back, so I was just a bit surprised (but only a bit) when Margot was killed.

The characters were likeable and engaging, also believable. I really felt for Betsy when
Laurel Bradshaw
Review from Literary Times
Margot Berglund owns a needlework and wool store called Crewel World [set in Excelsior, MN]. She's fifty-three, a widow and an expert in her field. Her store does very well for a small town, and she is able to support two part time staff as well as other casual workers. Her husband Aaron had been a wealthy man but despite this she lives a simple life, causing speculation among the town's people. Margot's older sister, Betsy, comes to live with her. When Betsy was young
Lee Miller
Jan 27, 2013 Lee Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Library Journal" reported that this was one of the best current mystery series, so I picked up the first volume just to satisfy my curiosity. I was completely charmed. Cozies are usually light on characterization or real mystery, but Monica Ferris wonderfully combines the American small town cozy with diverse, interesting, fully-formed characters. She also crafted an actual mystery that was hard to put down.

The needlecraft angle was also surprisingly enjoyable. I knew nothing about needlecrafts
Almeta
Apr 02, 2011 Almeta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Almeta by: Cozy Mystery Group Read
Shelves: dying2read
Renee Mezzell
This book truly had potential, however it dragged on and the writing just seemed too much...
Easy to figure out who done it
And no way to get attached to the characters.
This is the 1st in the series and since I struggled to even finish this book I doubt I read the rest.
Kitty Jay
Crewel World by Monica Ferris is yet another crafting cozy mystery, this time based around the world of needlecraft. In this series, we meet Margot, the demure fifty-some-odd woman who runs a quaint needlepoint shop in Excelsior, Minnesota called Crewel World. When her sister Betsy divorces a philandering husband, she joins Margot and begins learning the ropes (threads?) of the the finer (needle)points of running a business.

Ferris is a more than satisfactory writer, with a fluidity to her prose
Barbara Bruneau
This might have been a 4 if I had read it in print rather than listened to the audiobook. The reader (Susan Boyce) had a somewhat unusual cadence to her voice that I found a bit distracting. But that was nothing compared to her mangling of the pronunciation of place names. As a 30+ year resident of the Twin Cities, it the reader's mispronunciation of Edina, Wayzata, Navarre, and more was like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. Wouldn't you think that a contract to read an entire novel would be ...more
Shelley
Feb 25, 2014 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2014
I think the target demographic for this book is a little older than myself, but I still liked it.
Sonia Ashby
A friend suggested I would like reading Monica Ferris' mystery books since I enjoy reading Charlaine Harris' books. "Crewel World" seemed a little slow to draw me in, and since I am not big on needlepoint or knitting I found myself glossing over details having to do with needlework. It ended up being a good mystery book, and the needlepoint played a huge part in solving the mystery. I will try a couple more books in the series and see if I want to keep reading her books.
Suzanne
Jul 10, 2014 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Betsy comes from BigCity, California to visit her sister, Margot in SmallCity, Minnesota. Margot runs a needlework shop and lives upstairs in an apartment. She hires Betsy and shares her apartment with her. Betsy has been invited to go to the opera with one of Margot's girlfriends because Margot has a prior commitment. When Betsy returns, she notices the door to the shop is open and it's dark inside. Betsy hurries upstairs to call the police from their apartment. After the police arrive and have ...more
Stephanie
Apr 24, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie by: goodreads cozy mystery group
Monica Ferris was an author of the month at the Goodreads Cozy Mystery group, this is the first book I've read by her.

I liked the characters, was slightly surprised at who the victim was. I found the mystery to be fairly easy to solve, was about at that point of wanting to yell at the characters -- "come on, don't you see it?" but I ended up enjoying how the author wrapped it all up.

I will read more in this series.
Jim
May 07, 2009 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this first book in this series. If you like female sleuths such as Hannah Swenson, Lucy Stone, Goldy Schulz, or Jacobia Tiptree, I think that you'll really enjoy this mystery. This book revolves around a small Minnesota town's needlework shop and its owner. It made me look forward to reading more books in this series.
Tracy
Apr 21, 2009 Tracy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I enjoyed the setting of an embroidery/yarn store in a small suburban Minnesota town, but I didn't get too pulled in by the characters, and the story wasn't all that suspenseful. I will read more in this series, though, because I did like the setting.
Kitty
Nov 22, 2008 Kitty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
A cozy mystery series that revolves around a needlework shop. If you're into needlework, it's a cute, not-too-heavy, murder mystery series. Start with this one, even if you don't read the others in order, as it introduces the characters.
Cleo
Feb 26, 2011 Cleo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Mystery - I liked the characters - understated mystery, not intense - a fun read
Aug 24, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book- it is not a typical mystery and I can't wait to
Andra
May 17, 2015 Andra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a knitter, I was drawn to this sweet mystery series immediately. I read this one out of order, so had already been introduced to the characters. Love how each mystery evolves uniquely, rather than a formulaic start (many tv episodes are like that). Also enjoy the character development through the series as well as the interpersonal relationships cultivated over time. I appreciated the span of seasons that occurs between stories and casual referral of past murders, without spoiling the solutio ...more
Heather Pearson
I thoroughly enjoyed this cosy mystery and it didn't hurt that it was set in a needlework shop. This type of shop brings together all sorts of people who generally wouldn't associate with each other except for their craft. Makes for an interesting set of suspects when the shop owner, Margot Berglund, is murdered. Her sister Betsy is left to clean up and take over the shop.

Due to the various visitors to the shop and their different interests, author Monica Ferris offers up lots of potential murde
Toni Moore
Something made Margot glance up as a car pulled to the curb. It was an older white hatchback, thickly layered with road dust, a woman driving. Margot had a feeling the license plates on it would be Californian.

Shelly said, "Is that her? Is that her?"

But Margot was on her way to the door, and didn't answer, because what if it wasn't? She opened it and watched the woman climb tiredly out on the driver's side. She was about five-three, plumper than Margot remembered, her brown hair well streaked wi
Kathleen Hagen
Crewel World, by Monica Ferris, b-plus, Narrated by Susan Boyce, produced by Audiogo, downloaded from audible.com.

This is the first in the Betsy Devonshire series which takes place in Excelsior, Minnesota in a needlecraft shop started by Betsy’s sister, called Crewel World. Betsy comes to visit her sister Margot, and they are getting along well. Betsy is deciding whether or not she wants to move to this rather small town when she has lived in some of the largest cities in the past. Then her sist
Katie Kenig
Sep 13, 2012 Katie Kenig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This was an okay read. If you know me, you know that I'm a needlecraft fiend. I even have a series of videos on youtube - check out CraftyDivaKat some time over there if you're so inclined. And so, after seeing my mom give this book a good review, along with others in the series, I thought I'd pick it up and give it a go.

Betsy is newly divorced from her cheater of a husband, and has sold all her worldly possessions to restart her life. The first step on that journey is a visit to her sister, so
Melinda
This author and story line have potential, but the story was a little weak or "fluffy". The action was a bit slow and the investigation was light. Most of the evidence came from witness testimony which everyone was willing to share...eventually. There was no real sleuthing, mostly pestering questions and a little stumbling over clues. I hope that as the series progresses the main character will become more bold and practiced in her sleuthing skills. I liked the characters, some of which I liked ...more
Jillian
I adore this series. One of the main reasons is the books are consistently good and I always know what to expect, and I am never disappointed. I don't feel there's one bad book in the bunch, despite how surprisingly long the series has gone on.

I do many needle crafts, so that aspect is fun for me to read, but I think they'd be enjoyable for anyone who likes a mystery series and it certainly doesn't dominate it in a bothersome way.

I wouldn't call this series fluff, but it's definitely a light rea
Jodi
Jul 30, 2011 Jodi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I know I read this book years ago but I didn't mind listening to it. The first thing that I noticed was that the characters were not in the first flush of youth and that was appealing (and not only because I'm not either.) It was appealing because maturity is supposed to come with age. It was also interesting that the book did not feel dated until more than three quarters of the way through when the computer came into play and Betsy was excited her sister had Windows 95 on her machine. But the n ...more
Emily Cullen
Jan 08, 2016 Emily Cullen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a divorce, Betsy arrives in her sister's small town in Minnesota to figure out what she's going to do next. But it turns out she enjoys Margot's small town life and knitting store. One night she comes home to find her sister murdered. The police believe it was a burglary gone bad but Betsy thinks otherwise. This is the first in the cozy Needlecraft mystery series that I am starting to re-read and then catch up on the books I've missed. It's a good read with good characters.
  • Needled to Death (A Knitting Mystery, # 2)
  • The Quick and the Thread (An Embroidery Mystery, #1)
  • Died in the Wool (Knitting Mysteries, #1)
  • While My Pretty One Knits (Black Sheep Knitting Mysteries, #1)
  • Murder Most Crafty
  • You Better Knot Die (Crochet Mystery, #5)
  • Steps to the Altar (Benni Harper, #9)
  • Sew Deadly (A Southern Sewing Circle, #1)
  • Death By Cashmere (Seaside Knitters, #1)
Has published as
Mary Monica Pulver (real name)
Mary Kuhfeld
Margaret Frazer (with Gail Frazer)

[from the author's own website)

Mary Monica Pulver (her maiden name) is an incidental Hoosier — Terre Haute, Indiana, had the hospital closest to her parents’ home in Marshall, Illinois. She spent the later part of her childhood and early adult life in Wisconsin, graduating from high school in Milwaukee.

Sh
More about Monica Ferris...

A Needlecraft Mystery (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Framed in Lace (A Needlecraft Mystery, #2)
  • A Stitch in Time (A Needlecraft Mystery, #3)
  • Unraveled Sleeve (A Needlecraft Mystery, #4)
  • A Murderous Yarn (A Needlecraft Mystery, #5)
  • Hanging by a Thread (A Needlecraft Mystery, #6)
  • Cutwork (A Needlecraft Mystery, #7)
  • Crewel Yule (A Needlecraft Mystery, #8)
  • Embroidered Truths (A Needlecraft Mystery, #9)
  • Sins and Needles (A Needlecraft Mystery, #10)
  • Knitting Bones (A Needlecraft Mystery, #11)