Start by marking “Design*Sponge at Home” as Want to Read:
Design*Sponge at Home

Design*Sponge at Home

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,246 Ratings  ·  109 Reviews
"The long-awaited home décor bible by the beloved design blogger"

Thank you, wrote a reader to Design*Sponge creator Grace Bonney, for teaching me that houses don't have to be frumpy and formal. They don't have to be matchy-matchy or rigidly modern. They can just be comfy and unique and reflect who you are, no matter how small your budget or space.

That reader is one of the
Published September 6th 2011 by Artisan

To ask other readers questions about Design*Sponge at Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Design*Sponge at Home

Young House Love by Sherry PetersikDomino by Deborah NeedlemanThe Perfectly Imperfect Home by Deborah NeedlemanDecorate by Holly BeckerThe Nest Home Design Handbook by Carley Roney
Decoration
6th out of 66 books — 20 voters
Dream, Create, Inspire by Sophie SplattThe Handmade Home by Cherry MenloveA Beautiful Mess Happy Handmade Home by Elsie LarsonHomemakers by Brit MorinHappy Home. Charlotte Hedeman Gueniau by Charlotte Hedeman Gueniau
DIY Home Decor :: Guides & Inspiration
13th out of 22 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Oct 15, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: how-to, skimmed
I don't know why I keep checking out books that come out of blogs I follow. I always expect them to be more than print copies of things seen or read on the blogs. This one, like the others I've read, is not. I like the site so much, I almost didn't write this review, but that seemed dishonest somehow.

There are pretty pictures of many homes, like the "sneak peeks" on the Design*Sponge site. They seem less personal in print, however, missing the little comments from the homeowners about what they
Manik Sukoco
Jan 20, 2016 Manik Sukoco rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
While the old adage goes, "Don't judge a book by its cover!", Design Sponge at Home is gorgeous both inside and out!
Insights into interesting interiors of everyday people with great design eyes. Mixture vintage, antique and modern, just shows objects with excellent lines never go out of style.
Regardless of style, this book has something for every design enthusiast. While most of the spaces profiled in the book are on the small side, the styles are beautiful and varied. There's all sorts of sty
Lisa
Jan 22, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I love every single thing about this book. And website.
Ami
Apr 22, 2012 Ami rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Basically an expansion, hold-in-your-hands version of the blog. The "Sneak Peeks" were indeed lovely, although sometimes repetitive. Some houses had lots of pictures and some had few and I would turn the page and expect to be in the same house & I'd be in a different house. I like to just soak the style in, and then think about how to replicate it in my own home. Usually, though, I just get masochistically mired down in inadequacy about my not-an-architect-designed-loft-in-Park-Slope, and th ...more
Patty
Aug 04, 2013 Patty rated it really liked it
Do you love looking at interior design blogs? If you answered yes then you are going to enjoy this book. It is broken down into 5 sections.
1)Sneak Peeks - This is the largest part of the book which is exactly what it says, a peek into someone's living space. You can go to the blog and see so much more of these spaces which were originally on the blog, but here you will just get a peek of that space. A great many of the spaces are of people who are very successful in interior design or a related
Kayla Cagan
Mar 04, 2012 Kayla Cagan rated it liked it
I enjoy the Design*Sponge website and the layout of site much more than the book, which felt a bit chaotic to me. It's not as organized as I would have liked - even a break down regionally would have been interesting to me. I felt like I was just browsing schizophrenically from page to page without any rhyme or reason, which actually didn't feel very fun. I usually enjoy skipping around on the site.

This said, the writing is smart and the photographs are clear. I just wish the actual organization
Kathleen
Apr 15, 2012 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Beautifully photographed. A little on the etsy/DIY side for my taste but there are also some unique, sleek, and tailored homes. Remarkably, most homes not only incorporated books and libraries as design elements they also focused on and celebrated living with shelves and stacks of books.

I flipped through the DIY section in the back because I am not crafty, but I can see how many people would enjoy these projects.
Tiah
Dec 13, 2011 Tiah rated it liked it
A lot of great ideas and beautiful photos of amazing rooms. I got this book from the library, I would not purchase it. The ideas and photos are things you will find on the blog, so save your money. However, it was fun to look through. I am very inspired to start visiting the flea market!
Virginia
Nov 10, 2011 Virginia rated it really liked it
I love Grace Bonney's (et al) blog and this book was just more of the best stuff. Loved getting to thumb through bunches and bunches of new Sneak Peeks. Also liked getting to read more about Grace's path to the blog. Delightful. I paged through it in about two lunches.
Jan 10, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much more than I thought I would. I already tried out one of the projects (yarn vase) and am looking forward to more. It's a book that teaches and inspires, and I just plain love looking at pretty houses.
Sarah Ryburn
Jan 15, 2012 Sarah Ryburn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: interior-design
a.maz.ing. resplendent. unadulterated brilliance. five bazillion stars. seriously, i'll be scanning, rereading, referencing, indulging, etc for the next decade. an encyclopedia of home design inspiration.
Alison
Dec 12, 2011 Alison rated it really liked it
This book makes me sad about all the things I want to do to my house, but can't afford. I just have to remind myself that these people probably have massive credit card debt.
JDAZDesigns
Jan 20, 2012 JDAZDesigns rated it it was ok
Great pictures. But let's face it: If you've seen the blog, you've seen the book!
Carol
Apr 02, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it
This book is amazing! designsponge.com is my new favorite website. Such good ideas!!!
Ashley
Dec 29, 2014 Ashley rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic. I've been rationing and slowing reading it for many, many months because I didn't want to run out of beautiful pages. Sadly, it is finished, but I am feeling extra inspired now.

The first half of the book has 2-page features (magazine-style) of real homes from all over the world. They range from large, open beach houses to small NYC studio apartments and everything in-between. I loved that it featured real people with real design and space constraints. Sometimes things lo
liberal sprinkles
Aug 24, 2011 liberal sprinkles rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: designers, artists, home decorators, everybody, crafters, DIYers
this review is adapted from
a longer review at my blog, liberal sprinkles

Design*Sponge at Home is full of inspiring and do-able ideas that will get your creative juices flowing. It's interesting to see the different styles and tastes of people reflected in the homes they live in; and the photos, tips and suggestions will inspire and help you get crafty and creating so you can bring your own personality to your own home, whether it is by adding accents to rooms and furnishings or taking on a majo
Rebecca Schweitzer
Dec 28, 2011 Rebecca Schweitzer rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
A fun read from Design * Sponge, one of my favorite blogs. I love that this blog has taken book form because the pictures on the blog are the type you want o set out on your coffee table for friends to view.

The book is packed with inspiration from amazing homes around the world. There are also DIY projects with instructions, basic tips on doing general DIY tasks like making curtains or reupholstering furniture. The section on floral arrangements was my least favorite even though I did get a few
Michelle Johnston
Jul 25, 2013 Michelle Johnston rated it it was amazing
Design Sponge at Home by Grace Bonney what a little beauty this book turned out to be. Written by the humble Grace Bonney who started her blog Design Sponge 7 years ago to connect with other creative home loving people.

This book is not a flashy vogue type read, it is down to earth and full of honest pictures of rooms that you could definately create yourself, with flea market and op shop finds turned into something special. It proves my motto that you don't have to spend a lot of money to creat
Sara
Feb 27, 2015 Sara rated it liked it
Some good stuff, but a lot that I recognize as having seen on Design Sponge already at various points in time. Fun to flip through, but even flipping through got tiresome after a while (this is a BIG book).

Made me wonder how much of a "well-decorated house" is camera angle and lighting, plus a cleaning and staging crew scouring through immediately prior to the camera angles and lighting.
nicole
Oct 26, 2011 nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Pure eye candy. The blog in book format. The "sneak peek" home tours are my favorite parts of the blog and likewise, in my opinion, the best part of the book. I liked the craft/toolbox essentials lists, there are a few projects I may take on myself, but I have no real interest in the floral arrangement section of the book. Was a bit surprised to see the same design featured in homes that were featured back-to-back in the book. Felt there were many opportunities to feature more and different idea ...more
Brooke
Jul 27, 2012 Brooke rated it it was amazing
I didn't come to this book as an avid reader of the Design Sponge blog. I have had a quick look on occasion, but it is not a blog that I check in on regularly. So when I stumbled upon the book in an interiors shop and started having a quick flick through, I didn't really expect that I would want to add it to my interiors book collection!

The book features a well-curated collection of house tours and instructions for a series of achievable DIY projects. I love the diversity of interior design sty
Adriana
Mar 05, 2015 Adriana rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Adriana by: adriannaa@gmail.com
I am an avid blog reader. Grace Bonney's blog is fabulous! I was excited to hear she would be coming out with a book and it does not disappoint. Even the forward is by Jonathan Adler. One of my all time favorite designers. Grace Bonney teaches how to personalize our homes regardless of our budgets, the size of our space, our preferred styles. She shares some great DIY projects and ton of tutorials. I have already read this book more than once.

Kate Woods Walker
Nov 16, 2011 Kate Woods Walker rated it really liked it
This is a do-it-yourself and design book that can be read like a novel, cover to cover. Design Sponge website creator Grace Bonney has put together a (what else?) terrifically-designed work of nonfiction that gives you everything you ever wanted in book of this sort.

The opening section introduces us to a lineup of good designers and gives us a peek at their living spaces. Then its on to suggested projects, a basic instruction guide in tools and how to use them, a section on flower arranging, and
Danielle
Jan 05, 2013 Danielle rated it really liked it
I love Bonney's blog, Design Sponge, and I really wanted to love this book. I like the "tours" of different homes, and love the explanations of why the decor works. There are a number of home decorating projects at the end of the book that are relatively easy to master.

I'm more of a project-oriented person, and I would really have loved to see more projects in the book, or at least more projects directly "inspired" by the home tours in the book.

I like this book, and I would recommend it for so
Hayley
Oct 28, 2015 Hayley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: how-to
Loved this book. Great descriptions of a variety of design techniques, plus really cool ways to DIY decor in the back.
Angela
Jun 06, 2015 Angela rated it liked it
I especially love the floral design section!
Teresa
Feb 01, 2016 Teresa rated it it was amazing
great ideas and inspirations
Leah Hortin
Jul 26, 2013 Leah Hortin rated it it was ok
Shelves: library
This was just ok. It had some useful tidbits but the overall aesthetic of the book doesn't suit my taste. I was also very irritated by the "before and afters" that didn't talk about how they actually accomplished the projects. I guess I'm just more of a Young House Love: 243 Ways to Paint, Craft, Update & Show Your Home Some Love kind of gal.
Liz De Coster
Sep 23, 2014 Liz De Coster rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Really a 3.5.
Elaine
Jul 08, 2013 Elaine rated it really liked it
This book is a collection of interior design works of different designers and offers pro tips in making your home a better place to live in aesthetically and functionally. It also offers an array of do-it-yourself projects that are easy to follow, different types of floral arrangements for every occasion and before and after shots of furniture and room makeovers.

Click here for the full review.
  • Decorate: 1,000 Design Ideas for Every Room in Your Home
  • Domino: The Book of Decorating: A Room-by-Room Guide to Creating a Home That Makes You Happy
  • Undecorate: The No-Rules Approach to Interior Design
  • Apartment Therapy presents real homes, real people, hundreds of real design solutions
  • Flea Market Style
  • Young House Love: 243 Ways to Paint, Craft, Update & Show Your Home Some Love
  • Bazaar Style: Decorating with Market and Vintage Finds
  • Etcetera: Creating Beautiful Interiors with the Things You Love
  • Lotta Jansdotter's Handmade Living: A Fresh Take on Scandinavian Style
  • Downtown Chic: Designing Your Dream Home: From Wreck to Ravishing
  • My Prescription for Anti-Depressive Living
  • The Handbuilt Home: 34 Simple Stylish and Budget-Friendly Woodworking Projects for Every Room
  • The Nest Home Design Handbook
  • Creative Walls: How to Display and Enjoy Your Treasured Collections
  • Crafting a Meaningful Home: 27 DIY Projects to Tell Stories, Hold Memories, and Celebrate Family Heritage
  • Remodelista
  • The Selby is in Your Place
  • New Decorating Book, 10th Edition (Better Homes and Gardens)