Start by marking “Lady Doctor Wyre (A Jane Austen Space Opera, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lady Doctor Wyre (A Jane Austen Space Opera, #1)

Lady Doctor Wyre (A Jane Austen Space Opera #1)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  21 reviews
A dangerous technology could conquer the universe. Love could set it free.

Jane Austen Space Opera, Book 1

Charlotte, Duchess of Wyre, once held the Queen s highest confidence and the technological secret that keeps the royal heart beating. Fearful of what atrocities that Britannia might commit with her research, Charlotte turned to the galaxy s most infamous assassin, Lord
Published March 29th 2011 by Samhain Publishing (first published January 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Lady Doctor Wyre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady Doctor Wyre

Vivian
Toys, of the mechanical and male variety.

Fabulous steampunk worldbuilding by Burkhart. A sheriff, an assassin, and a scientist make for a delightful compilation in this polyamorous tale. Even though Lord Regret and Gil are hot, supernova hot--I'm intrigued and beguiled by Lady Wyre's creations.

Downside? Too short. More!
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion
Well, well, well this was a fun ride! Lady Doctor Wyre is one of those punks. Don't ask me which one, I've no clue. Cyberpunk, steampunk, skatepunk, Daft Punk... whatever. There are references to nanobots, assemblers, the wild wild West, space travel on a catamaran *looks around questioningly----->space travel on a sail boat?*, datapads, corsets and pink stockings so *shrug* got me. You figure it out.

description

Lady Doctor Wyre... WAIT can I just say, I'm a little bit obsessed with using the full title
Ilona
This was one of those books that had a good idea and the characters could have all been very interesting but wasn't.
I'm not sure what it was the whole story just seemed to lack depth. All the surface stuff seemed good; the world, the plot, the characters. But as I read I just had this feeling that it was lacking anything beyond the words on the page. I didn't feel drawn in or particularly care for the characters even though I liked the idea of them all individually, however they just seemed flat
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
An aristocratic lady on the run who happens to be an amazing scientist? Remind me why it has taken so long to read this book? This short story is a quick and riveting read. I sucked it down in about an hour and craved for more. Fortunately, I have the next book in this series in my hot little hands.

Lady Wyre is on the run from the Queen of Britainia. As the saying goes, absolute power corrupts absolutely. The Queen who was once saved by the brilliant Lady Wyre now wants to Lady Wyre dead. This b
~ AprilMarie4u ~

What a unique world! Really loved the mix between regency, science fiction, historical, western, & cyberpunk. How did the author put all those genres together and smash them into a smorgasbord of greatness?!?! I have no idea but it rocked!

I loved the three main characters also. There's the smart & sexy Lady Doctor Wyre who more than held her own with whatever situations came her way. Then there is the lethal & deadly assassin Lord Regret who acts like a namby-pamby when it suits his
Ivelisse Roberts
Absolute fantastic read, historical/sci-fi with a twist! Lady Doctor Charlotte Wyre has become my new favorite heroine with the most fascinating and honorable hero's by her side, Lord Sigmund Regret and Sheriff Gilead Masters. From page one you will be enthralled and completely engrossed by Joely Sue Burkhart's world where women rule but are still able to hold on to their femininity. I really enjoyed the twist and turns, as soon as you thought you knew what was going to happen you would get hit ...more
Caroline The HEA Lover
(This was originally posted on Book Lovers Inc)

Lady Doctor Wyre isn't like anything I've read before. I wouldn't say it's Steampunk but it's very close. It feels like a historical romance with futuristic technology. And instead of different countries, we have different planets. I first read some parts of the prequel Joely Sue Burkhart posted on her website, and I'm glad I did. The prequel really helps get a feel of the world. It also give some hints about the heroine's past and how she came to b
Dee Wy
A 4 1/2 star read, bumped to 5 stars. Joely Sue Burkhart has created an interesting steampunk world in outer space - very creative and fun with Londinium and Americus as the major planets in the story. Lady Doctor Wyre is in hiding, because she holds too many secrets. Some would kill her for them, others want to force her to share them to gain power.

If that wasn't enough to keep the plot moving, she has two men in her life, one who wants her to marry him and another who needs her and haunts her
Nicole
At its heart, Lady Doctor Wyre is a steampunk story. However, this is a steampunk set not in an alternate past, but an alternate future. (Sort-of.) It takes the history of our world, and transfers it to a matriarchal universe where countries are planets and all of history's famous men have become famous women. It's quite amusing to read about Madame President instead of Mister President, and how ships — space ships, naturally — are called "he". Joely's all about the details.

Even though I would c
Susi
A Jane Austen Space Opera- that's was the first thing I heard about Lady Doctor Wyre and I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm not a huge fan of Jane Austen inspired books because I usually like theoriginalityof the author's own imagination more but let me assure you this novel didn't feel like one of thoseinspiredstories.

Lady Doctor Wyre is set in a steampunk universe that resembles our world in a rather inventive way. It's a mix of historical and science fiction with more than just one steampu
Kris
A bit of a sad excuse for a book, really. Take one beautiful, poised, smart, articulate, and technology-inspired aristocratic lady and place her firmly in the middle of a love triangle with two very different types of men, one dashing aristocratic assassin and the other a rugged lawman. It will invariably - to no one's shock - end as some ridiculous roll-your-eyes ménage à trois. Ugh. I don't count this as a spoiler because it is soooo obvious from the beginning that this is where it was going t ...more
Mara
Erotic, steampunkish novella.

Please, read Ilona's review http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/....
I'm sorry mostly about the missed potential, the idea was good but was wasted.

Enjoyable as long as you don't expect much. Above all DO NOT expect a jane austeish romance. It should be clear from diffetent clues that the title is link bait, but better warned :)
Fifi LaFleur
Ok, so I read the second book first. I see the humble origins here and while I love Her Grace's Stable a bit more, I still really enjoyed this. The world building and character development is spot on and I can't wait to read more about this trio. On to book 3 pronto! I want more Regret!
Lisa
Joely Sue Burkhart is an author who brings the seemingly impossible together and makes it work and work well.

Lady Doctor Wyre brings elements of Victoriana and Sci-Fi, combines them with true love and a harsh alpha-male dance for dominance and dominion.
Krista
Once again, Joely Sue Burkhart has delivered entertainment worthy of a five-star rating. The characters were engaging, the setting was stellar, and the plot was fast-paced with high stakes.
Secretly Reading
This is a good steampunk with a fabulous heroine but mediocre heroes. The MFM menage lacks any intensity which is a real downer but since this is book one in the series perhaps that will evolve.
Angela
This was interesting and enjoyable for me. I wish it didn't end where it did or perhaps there is a book two coming??? I want to know how they all get on.
Natalie
Addy
I'm not a big fan I think I'm way to young
Priscilla
Enjoyed the book a lot

I thought this was a really good book. The author told a very good story with interesting characters in a well built alternate universe. Looking forward to continuing the saga.
Olivia Waite
I loved many aspects of the worldbuilding -- nanobots! -- but the emotional hooks weren't quite there for me. Still, a solid read to pass the time.
MM Obsession
MM Obsession marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Fred Hughes
Fred Hughes marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Night Goddess
Night Goddess marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Rita-Teodora
Rita-Teodora marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
  • Full Steam Ahead
  • The Breaker's Concubine
  • Like Clockwork
  • Wild Cards and Iron Horses
  • Avalon Revisited
  • Clockworks and Corsets
  • Victorious Star (Interstellar Service & Discipline, #1)
  • Badlands (Badlands #1)
  • Miss Bramble and the Leviathan
  • Slave World
  • Island of Icarus
  • Iron Dominance (Steamwork Chronicles, #1)
  • Blood Moons (The Blood Series, #1)
  • Counterpunch (Belonging, #2)
  • Room at the Edge (Room at the Top, #2)
  • More Fun With Dick And Shane (Memoirs of a Houseboy, #2)
  • Zeppelins West
  • Far Too Human
Author for Samhain Publishing and Carina Press.
More about Joely Sue Burkhart...

A Jane Austen Space Opera (3 books)
  • Her Grace's Stable
  • Lord Regret's Price (Jane Austen Space Opera, #3)
Dear Sir, I'm Yours (The Connaghers #1) Hurt Me So Good (The Connaghers #2) The Horse Master of Shanhasson (Blood and Shadows, #0.5) Yours to Take The Rose of Shanhasson (Blood and Shadows, #1)