Start by marking “Swamp Thing, Vol. 1: Saga of the Swamp Thing” as Want to Read:
Swamp Thing, Vol. 1: Saga of the Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing, Vol. 1: Saga of the Swamp Thing (Swamp Thing, Volume II #1)

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  17,561 Ratings  ·  641 Reviews
Before WATCHMEN, Alan Moore made his debut in the U.S. comic book industry with the revitalization of the horror comic book THE SWAMP THING. His deconstruction of the classic monster stretched the creative boundaries of the medium and became one of the most spectacular series in comic book history.

With modern-day issues explored against a backdrop of horror, SWAMP THING's

Published February 23rd 1998 by Vertigo (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Swamp Thing, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Rebecca Kramb I have only read volumes 1 and 2 so far from this series but the story does pick up a better pace in the second volume and I fell like that is where…moreI have only read volumes 1 and 2 so far from this series but the story does pick up a better pace in the second volume and I fell like that is where this series really gets going! I hope this helps!(less)

Alejandro
Jun 17, 2013 Alejandro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Swamp Thing's epic run by Alan Moore begins here!

This TPB Hardcover Edition collects "Swamp Thing" (Vol.2) #21-27.

Creative Team:

Writer: Alan Moore

Illustrators: Steve Bissette & Rick Veitch

A GOOD ROOT GROWS

If you are a fan of Alan Moore, you must read these hardcovers editions. No question about it.

For me it had been a wonderful experience.

It's amazing how brilliant is the writing and how great are the events.

You will never see the character of Swamp Thing in the same way, after to
Patrick
Feb 15, 2015 Patrick rated it it was amazing
When I was a kid, I didn't read comics.

This is a little strange, as I loved picture books. And I loved reading. Even so, I'd just never gotten into it.

But back when I was 10 or 11, I was in a convenience store with my mom. I saw a rack of comics and thought to myself, "Maybe I could buy one. Maybe this would be cool..."

So I picked one at random off the rack, took it home, and read it.

It freaked my shit out. Like, all the way out. Absolutely terrified me.

I didn't understand what was going on
Dirk Grobbelaar
There is a red and angry world.
Red things happen there.
The world eats your wife.
And eats your friends.
It eats all the things that make you human.
And it turns you into a monster.

As a youth I didn’t get Swamp Thing. And reading this as an adult it’s rather easy to see why. Before I get into any details, I have to just say that the prose in here is breathtakingly beautiful at times. This is not a book for children; it is a book for people who have seen a bit of the world and have experienced some l
J.G. Keely
Oct 22, 2007 J.G. Keely rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, horror, reviewed
Here Moore laid down a marker in the history of comics, ominous and unlikely as Archduke Ferdinand's tomb. Reading through the new wave of British authors who helped to reconceptialize the genre for us poor Americans, one understands more and more why it had to be this man. There is a flair amongst them all for a certain madness and depth of psychology, but Moore was the only one who didn't think it made him special. Our curiosity is always piqued by the mysterious stranger, and Moore will alway ...more
Sam Quixote
I know this is a beloved book and so, so many people adore this and everything else Alan Moore wrote, especially in the 80s, and that all kinds of superlatives are thrown around when discussing Swamp Thing – and I’m not being contrarian when I say this isn’t all that and a bag of chips, either. Paul O’Brien from the House to Astonish podcast nailed it when he said that “if Alan Moore’s books were as good as everyone said they were, they’d cure cancer”. Which is to say, I think this isn’t a bad b ...more
Brad

I am hu-man.
I am meat.
Brad
Oct 29, 2016 Brad rated it really liked it
I'm slightly biased in favor of Swamp Thing in general since reading Snyder's work, and I'm willing to let some other things slide because this is still Alan Moore of Watchmen and V for Vendetta as he's first gaining his fame in the early 80's, so even when I'm juggling all this in my mind, where does this first volume actually land?

It's okay. It doesn't feel *at all* like a comic for children, and I keep this in my mind because at the time this was written, *MOST of them STILL WERE*. Instead, i
Matt
Sep 15, 2008 Matt rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Matt by: Dan Connors
This made me question if I should have gotten my Watchmen tattoo, because it made me realize that there are comics out there that I haven't read yet that have the potential to be just as good if not better than Watchmen, and this is one of those. Then I remembered that Alan Moore wrote both Watchmen and this. I should have gotten an Alan Moore tat is the problem. Seriously, one of the greatest things I've ever read.
Danger
Sep 23, 2015 Danger rated it it was amazing
Alan Moore's impact on the pop-culture landscape is apparent, though I personally feel like his writing can sometimes be a bit dry or esoteric (and I'm looking at you V for Vendetta).

But GODDAMN this book had some of the finest writing I've ever come across. Poetic and terrifying and hypnotic and beautiful. I'm not (or rather wasn't) a Swamp Thing fan, nor am I that well versed in the history of the DC Universe, but I was glued to every word on every page of this thing.

If you're into graphic st
Riku Sayuj
Nov 02, 2013 Riku Sayuj rated it it was ok

The best part of this Saga is the hype that surrounds it and invites the reader into the swamp. It is supposed to be Moore's first real foray, it is supposed to be an environmental hyper-roar. Of course, in the end it turns out that most of the stuff is just trippy.

The introductory pages were quite something though - they built this one up unlike any other comic I have read. Moore for instance goes on this vein before introducing the story to the reader:

One of the major factors separating comi
♞『Ƙєє Qυєєη』
"It seems where demons fail and monsters falter, angels may prevail."

I'm coming to this version of Alan Moore's the Swamp Thing without any knowledge of his original creation by Len Wein, except of course with the brief appearances he had made during the Jamie Delano for Hellblazer: John Constantine. That being said, it had been a neat introduction to a comics icon. It was a rather baffling start at first, but one that is also beguiling enough to see through its finish.

This first volume had
Sesana
Aug 25, 2012 Sesana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, fantasy, comics
I am pretty sure this is the first I've read of Swamp Thing. I have a vague memory of Swamp Thing guest starring in an issue of a trade I read long ago, but that hardly counts. So I don't have a background in what Alan Moore is doing here that's different from what came before. What must have been a big reveal to those who had read Swamp Thing before him (view spoiler) comes so ear ...more
Donovan
Jul 19, 2014 Donovan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I like Alan Moore, and that's a bias. But as I started reading this I thought, "Are you kidding me? This is seriously awesome." Swamp Thing is one of the coolest, weirdest books I have ever read. Moore's writing is fierce, the 80's coloring is wild, the stories are as much science-fiction as they are horror. Every single page was enthralling. I was giddy after finishing it, wanting to read yet another of his works. There was literally no moment of "I wish he had done this."
Peter Derk
Mar 04, 2009 Peter Derk rated it liked it
This one gets points for being a brilliant reinvention of a fairly silly character. Something that really shouldn't be any good.

This book is a nice jumping-on point if you're curious about what happened to comics in the mid-80's, the time when everything got pretty dark. It certainly qualifies as a piece of history in that respect.

Great moments in this one, but the art certainly feels specific to its time.

I've started wondering if the art and the trends within comic book art might be something
Nicole Cushing
Jun 19, 2011 Nicole Cushing rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one more than WATCHMEN. Moore inherited a clunky origin story for Swamp Thing, and immediately went about rebooting the series by questioning some core assumptions of the previous continuity. This sort of maneuver could have been poorly executed, but it's this re-imagining of Swamp Thing as a creature embracing his "monsterness" (rather than yearning for its "lost" humanity) that gives this book its brilliance. I also love how Swamp Thing's non-violent (sort of) approach to the vi ...more
Gavin
Aug 30, 2012 Gavin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Very good stuff, enjoyable, engaging, and philosophical without being dense. There's a few page section where Swamp Thing has to choose between holding on to a memory of 'his' dead wife or his humanity, and it is brilliant.
The major antagonist in this one is very well written (Jason Woodrue) because he's not wholly evil at all, and in fact, he's just misguided until Swamp Thing points out the inherit logical flaw in his vision.
Appearance by the Justice League, but they don't do much at all other
Sud666
Sep 21, 2016 Sud666 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
When I started reading Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, I was unsure of what to expect. I had heard a great deal about this famous series and finally ran across a collected works of the venerable AM run. This first volume collects issues #20-#27. While 20 might seem an odd number to start volume one on, it makes eminent sense in the context of Alan Moore taking over the writing duties for this series.

His breathtaking vision for the "reboot" of the Swamp Thing made him famous. Moore changes the premise
Rick Hunter
Jun 01, 2014 Rick Hunter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Swamp Thing fans and Alan Moore fans
I've read a good many things written by Alan Moore through the years. I've also read a few issues of Swamp Thing. If I've ever read any of Moore's run on Swamp Thing, it would have been in the early 1980's when I was less than 12 years old. There is no way that I'd have understood or even enjoyed this back then.

Moore has a really dark tone to his writing that only a mature audience can appreciate. I didn't know what to expect of this series other than that darkness. I thought that the story star
Jemir
Nov 11, 2014 Jemir rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jemir by: 87
"Retconning" has been a point of contention and debate within comic book fan and professional circles for years. The word, when used by its general meaning in regards to big company comic book story telling, is used to describe the act of taking either events or moments of a characters' (or teams) history and saying either:

1. Past canonical events or moments never happened
2. Those same moments happened in ways different from original tellings (due mostly to updates to the characters' current or
David "proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party"
"Yes...I...have read...the file." - Read this book to learn why that is one of the most chilling pieces of dialogue to ever appear in a graphic novel!

I would give this edition five stars just for Alan Moore's brilliant reinvention of Swamp Thing (as well as The Floronic Man, a one-time B-lister Justice League villain who is truly terrifying this time around). But this book is more than just a reboot of a character. It's also a perfect mix of horror and drama presented in a format which had usua
Stephen
Jan 15, 2009 Stephen rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. Not bad, but not up to the level of much of Moore's other work V for Vendetta, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1 and Watchmen to name just a few. Parts of it were very well done, but not enough to push it up another star.
Matt Garcia
May 29, 2014 Matt Garcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great atmospheric horror comic. The writing is crisp yet eloquent and the artwork is top notch. Swamp Thing is a tragic character and Moore does an admirable job making him sympathetic to the reader. I liked it but didn't love it however this is not a detriment to the collection at all. It is an eerie yarn spun by a very talented writer
Emily Green
Apr 06, 2014 Emily Green rated it really liked it
While Saga of the Swamp Thing is not the first Alan Moore comic I have read, it is by far my favorite. Among the Moore works that I have read, including The Watchmen, I have been deeply disturbed by his need to use rape as a plot device. While I believe that it is important to discuss violence against women and violence in general, and that it should not be ignored, I don’t feel comfortable with it becoming a way to move the plot forward. How anyone can justify Moore’s liberal use of rape is bey ...more
Ryan Stewart
Nov 17, 2013 Ryan Stewart rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a masterpiece. I had always heard glowing reviews of Moore's Swamp Thing run but had never had the opportunity to read it myself. Now that I have, it met all the hype and then some.

The second issue of this volume, No. 21 "Anatomy Lesson," is the greatest single issue of a comic book I have ever read. And I don't take that statement lightly. (Note: this should be considered by the reader as Moore's first issue on the book, as No. 20 was used to tie up loose ends for the previous author's
Kandice
Jan 19, 2015 Kandice rated it it was amazing
This was fantastic! I hope that didn't come across as surprise because I am never surprised by the genius of Moore. I am often thrilled and delighted by it, but surprised? Never!

Moore is so respectful of those who wrote Swamp Thing before him. Episode 20 is all about his tribute to them, cleaning up their story lines and keeping house. Moore's Swamp Thing really shows up in episode 21.

Moore's characters are always more than the sum of their parts and there are no exceptions in these pages. Even
David Schaafsma
2nd time reading, for a class on graphic novels, on the encouragement of Greg, and I like it better this time. It is pretty crazy in places, but also shows the depth that Moore brings to what seems to me to have been a mundane, run of the mill project. . . you know, a monster/horror book that he turns into this cosmic environmental hippie thing.

In some places it feels like a kind of mystic journey, an acid trip, a philosophical meditation on life and the planet, a meditation on the possibilitie
Emanuel
Sep 23, 2015 Emanuel rated it really liked it
I de första numren av "Sandman" försökte Neil Gaiman skriva en skräckserie i DCs superhjälteuniversum men det kändes alltid som en trång och illasittande kofta (som serien lyckligtvis lade ifrån sig rätt snart). Först nu förstår jag vad han siktade på! På Alan Moores "Swamp Thing" passar koftan urtjusigt! Här är en superhjälteserie - komplett med invecklad backstory, märkliga skurkar och handgemäng. Samtidigt är "Swamp Thing" en genuint kuslig skräckserie. Moore bejakar DC-universumets absurdite ...more
Eric Mikols
Oct 11, 2011 Eric Mikols rated it really liked it
Shelves: vertigo
Creepy stuff.
This has that 80's DC vibe all over it, but the vibe you don't really such much of because you don't want to be creeped out. Alan Moore writes this series a lot like Gaiman wrote Sandmand and thats with a desire for adult stories set in a bizarre superhero universe. Swamp Thing goes through some changes here, realizing that he's not the man he thought he was and, instead, is a plant that thought it was once human. Now he has to discover his place in the whole wide world, with this v
Jlawrence
May 25, 2015 Jlawrence rated it really liked it
Wasn't always crazy about the art (the way Bisette and Tolleben diagonally line-shade faces puts me off - however, their depictions of the Swamp Thing himself (view spoiler) are pretty magnificent), but Alan Moore's writing (especially Etrigan's rhymes), the existential retcon he runs on Swamp Thing's origins and the gothic situations he pulls the characters through are all solid stuff. (view spoiler) ...more
Aidan
Oct 23, 2015 Aidan rated it it was amazing
Alan Moore. Swamp Thing. Cameo appearance by Jason Blood. If you have read it already, you know how much this series broke new ground for comic book writing. If you haven't read it yet, what are you doing reading this review? Go grab a copy and let the page-turning begin. I'm serious, off with you. Now. You'll thank me later.
  • Animal Man, Vol. 1
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 7: Regenesis
  • Swamp Thing, Volume 1: Raise Them Bones
  • Swamp Thing: Dark Genesis
  • Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits
  • Planetary, Volume 1: All Over the World and Other Stories
  • Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, Volume One
  • Hellblazer: Original Sins
  • Abe Sapien, Vol. 1: The Drowning (Abe Sapien, #1)
  • Lucifer, Vol. 2: Children and Monsters
Alan Moore is an English writer most famous for his influential work in comics, including the acclaimed graphic novels Watchmen, V for Vendetta and From Hell. He has also written a novel, Voice of the Fire, and performs "workings" (one-off performance art/spoken word pieces) with The Moon and Serpent Grand Egyptian Theatre of Marvels, some of which have been released on CD.

As a comics writer, Moor
More about Alan Moore...

Swamp Thing, Volume II (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 2: Love and Death
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 3: The Curse
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 4: A Murder of Crows
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 5: Earth to Earth
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 6: Reunion
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 7: Regenesis
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 8: Spontaneous Generation
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 9: Infernal Triangles
  • Swamp Thing: The Root of All Evil (Millar's Swamp Thing, #1)
  • Swamp Thing: Darker Genesis (Millar's Swamp Thing, #2)

“Please, don't go. It's lonely. There's a hole in my head as big as the world and it's so very lonely...” 13 likes
“Yes, of course, the whole idea is utterly inane, but to let its predictable inanities blind you to its truly fabulous and breathtaking aspects is to do both oneself and the genre a disservice.” 6 likes