Start by marking “The Widow and the King (Cup of the World, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Widow and the King (Cup of the World, #2)

The Widow and the King (Cup of the World #2)

This stunning book opens 12 years after the end of The Cup of the World and tells the story of Ambrose, son of Phaedra and last in the king’s line, who is living exiled with his mother in the dilapidated manor of Tarceny.

Ambrose’s life is threatened by the hooded priest of the Undercraft, an ancestral spirit of pure evil who must end Ambrose’s life in order to survive him
Paperback
Published April 6th 2006 by Corgi Childrens (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Widow and the King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Widow and the King

Nikki
Mar 28, 2012 Nikki rated it it was ok
Emily
Jun 18, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it
I inter-library loaned(?) this book - the second in the series, and read it without having read the first. It is able to stand alone, but I think there are pieces that I could'nt fully grasp without reading the first. This is a dense and complex book and I am not surprised that I have not heard of the series in the YA world. I would not encourage any teens to pick up this series. They are more suited for older readers. I fail to understand why having characters who are young makes a book a YA ...more
Monica
Jun 11, 2010 Monica rated it it was ok
What I liked about the first book is what I eventually dislike about this one. Understandably, the plot calls for gloom and ominous feelings but there is just too much of it that is becomes very dull, repetitive, and monotonous, which kills the interest to read further. They tried to make a balance with Sophia but she just did not fit in the whole scheme to me. Situations and dialogues feel flat, abrupt, and anti-climactic (the ending is such). I still wanted to have seen some life and passion. ...more
Adela Bezemer-Cleverley
Jul 19, 2014 Adela Bezemer-Cleverley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-stars, wish-list
There's not much I can say in this review because I'm writing it like two weeks late... I really need to get better at this.

Like The Cup of the World, The Widow and the King is beautifully written and compelling. The story has a little more action than the first book, and some more loveable characters. I absolutely adore Ambrose as a protagonist. Chawlin was one of my favourite characters. And Sophia was an interesting addition for a second narrator. She doesn't seem like that important of a cha
Eskana
Jul 15, 2014 Eskana rated it liked it
Although not as good as the first book in the trilogy ("The Cup of the World,") I thought this second installment was interesting enough.
Anyone who's come this far will know the first book, so I forgive me if I "spoil" a little...

This book centers on Phaedra's son, Ambrose Umbriel, whose life was promised to Paigan, Prince under the Sky, by his father. Most of the book deals with Ambrose's journey around the kingdom after his home is attacked and... well, if it can't be described as character de
Attila
Oct 28, 2015 Attila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Ambrose, the young son of a dead and despised king and the last of an ancient family, lives in an abandoned fort in the mountains. His life is threatened and he has to flee when an evil power that has brought a lot of suffering to the kingdom is freed from its magical prison. For a while he stays at Develin, a haven of peace and education, where he learns a lot and makes friends. He is still hunted though, and in the end he must face his nemesis, and understand the meaning of kingship.

Loved this
Joyce
May 06, 2013 Joyce rated it liked it
The storyline itself was really good, especially when told from Ambrose's perspective because it is like looking through the world as a child. But I couldn't really relate to the other characters since they didn't feel like they were developed fully.
I did like how it wasn't quite like other fantasy books I have read since after reading a couple they tend to become cliche.
My only other concern that I didn't like was that I feel Ambrose's character could have developed a bit more, especially with
ivana
Dec 14, 2010 ivana rated it it was ok
2.5. I couldn't decide with this one: it was well-written, but I had no idea what Dickinson was going on about with the plot! Chess pieces? Suns and moons and sons? Cups? Tears? What? I think that if he had stuck to one or two major metaphors or symbols, then it would have been a LOT easier for me to understand. However, I think that while I now find it a good effort, I believe that it may deserve a re-reading at a later time.
Tracy
Mar 26, 2008 Tracy rated it it was ok
Although the first one was just ok, I went on to read this sequel as well.
I did like it better, perhaps I liked the characters a bit better, but still, just bordering on being actually likable and actually anticipating the outcome.
But oh well, not horrible either. Won't leave a lasting impression.
Victoria
May 22, 2012 Victoria rated it really liked it

I thought this was much better than the first. Ambrose's language and thought process was quite simple in the beginning, but it evolved and made me happy :D I'm happy it wasn't a really whiny POV this time. Definitely better than I expected after the first book. Wish it had a more romantic element.
Margaret
This didn't quite live up to the first book (The Cup of the World, I thought; the pacing was a little too slow, and the alternating POVs didn't hold me as well as Phaedra's sole POV, but the worldbuilding and atmosphere remained excellent.
Zee
May 08, 2013 Zee rated it did not like it
good but wanted to see the struggle ends with the Heron man better than it did. i wanted it to end by a great fight or something.. it was a good book anyway and the author totally improved his language and narrating skills.
Hope Braddock
Feb 08, 2014 Hope Braddock rated it liked it
Shelves: sequels, fantasy
I can't remember if I read the book after this or not, but I think I stopped because it was getting to freaky and witch for my 12 year old self to handle. I was not happy with the way Phaedra was only partially loved through the entire book or previous book. as I said before, long tome ago.
Belle
Dec 20, 2015 Belle rated it liked it
This book was just okay. It had a good story plot, but was not very well written. It was a bit too gloomy for me as well.
Amy
Dec 12, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing
this series puts me into a spell. I can't stop reading and I sigh a lot when I'm forced to put them down. Wonderful fantasy for older teens and adults.
Jodee
Jul 27, 2008 Jodee rated it really liked it
Good follow for Cup of the World. Nice story showing that what we have planned for life isn't the way it usually turns out.
Selah Bell
Dec 04, 2011 Selah Bell rated it liked it
Madeleine Davies
Madeleine Davies rated it it was ok
Sep 10, 2016
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2012
Lui
Lui rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2011
Adena
Adena rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Sheena James
Sheena James rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2014
Audry
Audry rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2011
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2011
Nic West
Nic West rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2013
Rhiannon
Rhiannon rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Lazilda
Lazilda rated it liked it
May 12, 2013
Anne Mathison
Anne Mathison rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2011
Sarah rated it it was ok
Apr 11, 2010
Deborah
Deborah rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • If I Just Had Two Wings
  • Heritage of the Xandim (Chronicles of the Xandim, #1)
  • Otto and the Flying Twins (The Karmidee, #1)
  • The Droughtlanders (Triskelia, #1)
  • Returner's Wealth (Wyrmeweald, #1)
  • The Last Universe
  • Montmorency's Revenge (Montmorency #4)
  • The Friendship
  • The Riddles of Epsilon
  • The Bards of Bone Plain
  • Traction Man Is Here!
  • The Sword of Straw (The Sangreal Trilogy, #2)
  • The Monkey House
  • A Long December
  • Jango (Noble Warriors Trilogy, #2)
  • City of Secrets (Stravaganza, #4)
  • Toad Rage (Toad, #1)
  • Company of Spears (Matthew Hervey, #8)
John Geoffrey Hyett Dickinson (born June 1962) is an English author of young adult novels, and has also written one adult novel- Lightstep.
Dickinson lives in Painswick, Gloucestershire with his wife, Pippa Thomson, and two children. He is the household cook, an accountant & church treasurer when he's not writing.
More about John G.H. Dickinson...

Cup of the World (3 books)
  • The Cup of the World (Cup of the World, #1)
  • The Fatal Child  (Cup of the World, #3)

“There is no treasure but Truth, there is no Truth but Wisdom. There is no Wisdom, but from Learning, and Learning is won by the devotion of hours, years, days and nights to the works of Nature and the Treasures of Truth that others have gathered.” 1 likes