Start by marking “Adventurer's Handbook” as Want to Read:
Adventurer's Handbook

Adventurer's Handbook

What makes a good explorer? Adaptability, ambition, stamina, self-confidence, curiosity, optimism, authority—and fund-raising ability. Though few of us will ever have to face a charging elephant, or survive solely on penguin stew, when it comes to project management, crisis aversion, or any number of everyday problems, there is much we can learn from the larger-than-life

Published October 12th 2010 by Palgrave Macmillan (first published October 3rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Adventurer's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adventurer's Handbook

Karen
Jan 12, 2009 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The raw material of this book is a fascinating (if occasionally grisly) collection of exploration stories, mostly centered around the 19th and 20th centuries. Everest, the North and South pole, and expeditions across Africa and Australia are covered, among others. The book had a good level of detail. My only real complaint is that the author tried to organize the book around "lessons" that can be learned. This meant that the stories tended to be broken up. For example, chapter one is called "Get ...more
Jesse
Mar 18, 2009 Jesse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot more than I thought I would. I expected it to be very objective and uninvolved. Instead, Conefrey provided interesting, narrative examples from various expeditions. He talked about the value of teamwork, good leadership, planning, knowing the native animals and peoples, quality equipment, transportation, etc. In each instance, he provided an example from an expedition to showcase his point.

While he drew from expeditions of Australia, north African desert, Canadian wildern
Oceana2602
This book was everything it promised to be, and more, because it contained a lot more historical information than I was prepared for - and that made me like it even better.

The authro focuses maybe a little bit too much on team-spirit and leadership, after all, that seems to be one thing you cannot learn by reading about it. But I guess it also makes for the more interesting stories, so he's forgiven.

Altogether, great fun! Everything you ever needed to know in order to survive your latest expedit
Summer
Nov 27, 2007 Summer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history buffs, mountaineers, and modern-day explorers
First-person accounts and diary excerpts, harrowing expeditions, nothing but the facts. When people see me reading this, they think it's one of those "Worst Case Scenario" or "Zombie Survival Guide" books. But it's not. It's a well-researched run-down on successful and tragically unsuccessful trips into unexplored lands over the past couple hundred years. So don't let the bargain-book cover fool you!
Caro
Apr 08, 2010 Caro rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An overview of mostly English 19th- and 20th-century explorers, focusing on how you assemble a team, raise money, lead the team and make the often fatal decision to press on or turn back. A quick read and an enticing introduction to some books and explorers I had not known of, including Englishman Eric Shipton.
Nora
Jan 03, 2011 Nora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 100bookyear
A curious mix of advice for explorers and tales of historical figures. Somehow, it works - I didn't pick it up looking for super-technical advice, and Conefrey has plenty of exciting stories to tell about successful and unsuccessful expeditions. Would be nicely accompanied with a few historical accounts of the expeditions mentioned in the book. Review at www.noracoon.com
Mar 22, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Impulse buy today and I can't put it down.
Jean
Jan 07, 2013 Jean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice roundup of classic explorers. A bit repetitive though.
Nick Woodall
Lot's of interesting and esoteric stuff in this book.
Alan Thomson
Sep 14, 2011 Alan Thomson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Excellent book, the stories of Great Explorers of the 19th & 20th century.The book taught me a lot and inspired me in times of defeat when ever I was on an expedition .Over all good book to read
Palgrave Macmillan
Palgrave Macmillan rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2011
Austin Kremer
Austin Kremer rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2010
Andy
Andy rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2017
Paula
Paula rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2011
Chris Hall
Chris Hall rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Maggie
Maggie rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2011
Roop
Roop rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Teresa Mcnamee
Teresa Mcnamee rated it it was ok
May 02, 2015
Joey Bahamundi
Joey Bahamundi rated it really liked it
May 13, 2014
Katrina Tan
Katrina Tan rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2011
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Jessica North
Jessica North rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2015
Austra
Austra rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2012
Stacia
Stacia rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2011
Mitch
Mitch rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2012
Kyle Davis
Kyle Davis rated it it was ok
Mar 02, 2015
Bill
Bill rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2014
Julia
Julia rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Skook
Skook rated it liked it
May 08, 2014
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Fatal Storm: The Inside Story of the Tragic Sydney-Hobart Race
  • In Tasmania: Adventures at the End of the World
  • On the Road to Kandahar: Travels through conflict in the Islamic world
  • A Labyrinth of Kingdoms: 10,000 Miles through Islamic Africa
  • Walking the Big Wild: From Yellowstone to the Yukon on the Grizzle Bears' Trail
  • Abendland
  • Hydra (Stargate SG-1, #13)
  • International Spy Museum: The Handbook of Practical Spying
  • The Mammoth Book of Killers at Large
  • My Path Leads to Tibet: The Inspiring Story of How One Young Blind Woman Brought Hope to the Blind Children of Tibet
  • 101 Things You Never Knew about Disneyland
  • The Man Who Owns the News: Inside the Secret World of Rupert Murdoch
  • My Year Without Matches: Escaping the City in Search of the Wild
  • Psychovertical
  • Die Kunst, kein Egoist zu sein
  • The Mammoth Book Of Travel In Dangerous Places
  • The Lonely Planet Guide To Experimental Travel
  • Weird Texas: Your travel guide to Texas's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
Mick Conefrey is the author of the award-winning Adventurer’s Handbook and How to Climb Mont Blanc in a Skirt. An internationally recognised filmmaker, he has produced several BBC documentaries on mountaineering and exploration, including The Race for Everest. He lives in north Oxford with his family.
More about Mick Conefrey...