Start by marking “The Complete Book of Spirits: A Guide to Their History, Production, and Enjoyment” as Want to Read:

An indispensable follow-up to his classic Complete Book of Mixed Drinks, Anthony Dias Blue presents The Complete Book of Spirits, a comprehensive collection of history, lore, and tasting tips, along with recipes for select cocktails. Here, in one concise and easy-to-use volume, is all the information a consumer needs to shop, mix, and sip like a spirits expert.

From bathtub
Published May 18th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published October 26th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Book of Spirits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Book of Spirits

David
Mar 20, 2012 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Complete Book of Spirits is a broad survey of a very large field. For someone like myself, with huge gaping holes in my liquor knowledge, this was a very helpful reference. A brief, shallow guide like this is great when you know a little (or a lot) about certain portions of a subject but little to nothing about others.

For example, having already read quite a bit about Tiki drinks, I already knew quite a bit about rum. But I knew very little about Scotch. Now I feel able to converse about bot
Ambrosia Borowski
Aug 26, 2013 Ambrosia Borowski rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Most of the information in the book was obviously prompted from the alcohol distributers themselves. Incredibly PC, this is as informative as a label. A good portion of the information is also out of date. I found the 'vodka' and 'tequila' section particularly incomplete or outdated. Reads like a high school book report. Recommended only to the home drunk who wants to impress her friends with random alcohol stats and info.
Jill Miller
Aug 24, 2011 Jill Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy, informative read. Great historical info about various spirits and some fun-to-know facts are included. Great tasting notes after each chapter. At the risk of sounding silly, I really wish this book had some pictures to break up the solid text a little bit. Some color pics of liquor bottles of various types would be a good addition for reference, and some mixed drink photos with the included recipes would be welcome as well.
Scott
Aug 11, 2011 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book so far, though not much info on the history of spirits themselves that I didn't already know, its still a good read, and another great reference, with its brand profiles and tasting notes. I learned a lot from the brand profiles, I knew a lot about the general history of the spirits, but not a lot about the companies. Very interesting.
Gavin Stitt
Dec 20, 2007 Gavin Stitt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a bartender, with a passion for the subject matter, I found this book very interesting. It does a great job of explaining the processes of making different kinds of spirits, and the history of each. It also gives great tips on how to enjoy them.
Pete
Sep 30, 2008 Pete rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
really really detailed. the tasting notes are very helpful.
Taylor
Taylor rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2013
Rebecca S Van Arnam
Rebecca S Van Arnam rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2015
Lucas
Lucas rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Matthew Ray Gabbard
Matthew Ray Gabbard rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2015
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
May 06, 2008
Jessica Schultz
Jessica Schultz rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2015
Phillip Bonhomme
Phillip Bonhomme rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Gail
Gail rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2009
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2015
Mario A. Garcia
Mario A. Garcia rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2014
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2010
NANCY A LANTIS
NANCY A LANTIS rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2014
Drakku
Drakku rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2016
Josh Pearson
Josh Pearson rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2015
Nezka
Nezka rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2014
Keeley Hanson
Keeley Hanson rated it really liked it
May 01, 2015
Kevin Orr
Kevin Orr rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2015
Drew
Drew rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2014
Karl Goransson
Karl Goransson rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2013
Ian Prudhomme
Ian Prudhomme rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2017
Carlo Acosta-Scagnelli
Carlo Acosta-Scagnelli rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2015
Mathieu
Mathieu rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2012
Sean Middelkamp
Sean Middelkamp rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Limingz
Limingz rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2015