Start by marking “Happy Never After” as Want to Read:
Happy Never After

Happy Never After (Callahan Garrity Mystery #4)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  833 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Since retiring from the Atlanta Police Department, Callahan Garrity is really cleaning up with her House Mouse housecleaning company -- especially since she added"crime investigation" to the list of services offered.

Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Happy Never After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Never After

Marleen
On a hunch I picked this book out of a bargain bin not knowing what to expect. It turned out this was an easy and entertaining read about a former Atlanta cop named Callahan Garrity, who quit the force and started running a cleaning service with her mother from their house, while doing some private detecting on the side. This is actually the 4th book in the series, but I didn’t feel like I missed out on prior history with these characters. Callahan accepts to search for Delores, the long lost si ...more
L8blmr
When I read that this Callahan Garrity story was going to be about a singing group from the sixties and the music industry in Georgia, I thought it just might be my favorite in the series so far. However, it occurred to me about halfway through the book that I really do not like Callahan that much (nor her mother Edna, as a matter of fact). Therefore, I had to rely on the mystery and the locales I might recognize to keep me reading and neither of those factors met my expectations this time aroun ...more
Tiffany
Happy Never After was rereleased this year and is the 4th book in the Callahan Garrity series. In this book from the series, Callahan is tasked with finding the third member of a now defunct girl group from the 60s called the Velvet Teens. The other two members of the group, her cousin and sister, have not seen her for 20 years. The search is on as a movie producer wants to use some of the Velvet Teens' old songs in a movie and possibly record new tracks with the group. Unfortunately along the w ...more
LJ
HAPPY NEVER AFTER - G
Trocheck, Kathy Hogan - 4th in Callahan Garrity series

Callahan agrees to locate the missing member of the popular '60s girl group, the VelvetTeens, and she doesn't have to search long. Deloras Carter, the a.w.o.l. singer, is found passed out drunk by a swimming p
Judy Collins
I am in the process of reading the Callahan Garrity Mystery Series-- not entirely in order; however, each can be a standalone, as these are being released this year. This was #4 and Kathy Hogan Trocheck (Mary Kay Andrews) always adds spice and humor with her sassy southern belles.

With the housekeeping business (House Mouse) and her detective work, the array of colorful characters (quite eccentric) are always into some sort of mischief. This time, Callahan is trying to track down a missing membe
Pr Latta
[audio] Narrator did a fine job. This could almost be "historical" in the focus on the black experience in Georgia in the 1990's (or earlier) which might be offensive to some. Once again, I find the insertion of Callahan's breast cancer to be superfluous. Cute, convoluted mystery sprinkled with some serious topics.
Debbie Maskus
This is Trocheck's (Mary Kay Andrews) first series about a private investigator/maid service owner named Callahan Garrity and set in Atlanta. This is the 4th in the series, I had read the prior three novels many years ago, and decided to return to this series, since I am not employed. The characters in Trocheck's series are everyday people, but some of the characters are very comic, like the two old sisters: Baby and Sister, who are over 80 and still clean and help with investigating. This novel ...more
Kathy
Another book in the Callahan Garrity series. Callahan is hired to track down the missing third girl from a 60's trio. A simple tracking assignment turns out into murder when one of the women is found dead drunk and passed out holding the gun that killed their old manager whose body is lying there. There's a lot of insight into the world of the music industry of that era up until the 90's when the book was written. fast moving and very enjoyable.
Linda
Callahan Garrity, owner of the House Mouse cleaning service, has been asked to locate a missing member of an oldie singing group. During her search for the missing woman, she gets involved in a murder case. And one of her clients is accused of the murder.
Marilyn Groves
A sidetrip back to the 60s Motown music when Callahan is hired to find one of the members of a singing group so they can have a comeback. Callahan ends up delving into the workings of an independent record label, which was interesting as well.
Janet
A good mystery with lots of fun stuff tucked in. I enjoyed the music references. And now I have to listen to the next book to find out what happens. This one left us with some questions.
Paula Hatch
I am really enjoying this Callahan Garrity series - A police officer turned cleaning company owner and part time detective makes for a lively story! Well written with colorful characters!
Megan
Good book in the series! I appreciate the fact that there has been character progression in the series - not something that is commonly seen in a murder mystery series. Worth reading! 4 stars
Gerry
"Music soothes the savage beast" is a famous old saying. in Happy Never After, the savage beast has too much power over music leading to murder.
Robin B
For those who don't know, Kathy Trocheck has recently republished these mysteries under her real name of Mary Kay Andrews.
I just finished this book, the most recent in this series, but I was a little disappointed. I think it was very drawn out, with too much going on. Callahan is hired to find a missing sister by her sisters, that made up a girl band from the 60's, due to a movie deal that would feature the group, however, when there old manager Stu turns up dead, one of the sisters is a prime suspect. Many twists & turns, interesting characters, murder, & mystery, for me it was all too much for one book. I ...more
Lisa Neal
Mishka
Just getting started with this series. Enjoying it but out of order...oh well.
Judym
This is an entertaining series with quirky, interesting characters.
Rushbug23
ooouu can't wait to know what happens between Callahan and mack
Valerie
Darker than the rest of the series thus far.
Karen
Continues to be a great series.
Janet Martin
Decent mystery--I enjoyed the story about the music business quite a lot, although the main character was a bit short tempered and self destructive in this episode. Hilary Huber's performance turned it from a slightly better than ordinary read into a terrific listen.
Karen
Good mystery. Kept you guessing till the end.
Nicole
Turned into a murder mystery. Wasn't my favorite Mary Kay Andrews book, but it kept my attention. Easy summer read
Annette Meier
Didn't care for this one as much as the others.
Marylu Sanok
Better story than the first books and I am becoming familiar with the characters. A few suprises and I am enjoying these more
Jennifer Arnaboldi
I just love Callahan Garrity and her staff at the House Mouse!
GIZMO
excellent example of the genre...a fun read
  • Blue Christmas (Weezie and Bebe Mysteries, #3)
  • Hark! The Herald Angel Screamed (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
  • Did You Declare the Corpse? (Thoroughly Southern, #8)
  • Murder on a Bad Hair Day (Southern Sisters Mystery, #2)
  • Since You're Leaving Anyway, Take Out the Trash (Domestic Equalizers Book 1)
  • Busy Bodies (Claire Malloy, #10)
  • Peaches and Screams (Savannah Reid, #7)
  • Them Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #1)
  • Agent Gates and the Secret Adventures of Devonton Abbey: A Parody of Downton Abbey
  • In this Rain
  • Killer Wedding (Madeline Bean, #3)
  • The Red Hat Club Rides Again
  • A Fete Worse Than Death (Jack Haldean Murder Mystery #1)
aka Mary Kay Andrews

Kathy Hogan Trocheck is the author of critically acclaimed mysteries, including the Callahan Garrity mystery series. A former reporter for the Atlanta Journal Constitution, she is also the author of Little Bitty Lies and the Edgar- and Macavity-nominated Savannah Blues, under the name Mary Kay Andrews.
More about Kathy Hogan Trocheck...

Callahan Garrity Mystery (8 books)
  • Every Crooked Nanny (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #1)
  • To Live & Die in Dixie (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #2)
  • Homemade Sin (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #3)
  • Heart Trouble (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #5)
  • Strange Brew: A Novel (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #6)
  • Midnight Clear (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #7)
  • Irish Eyes (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #8)
Every Crooked Nanny (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #1) To Live & Die in Dixie (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #2) Homemade Sin (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #3) Irish Eyes (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #8) Heart Trouble (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #5)