Start by marking “Death of the Fox: A Novel of Elizabeth and Ralegh” as Want to Read:
Death of the Fox: A Novel of Elizabeth and Ralegh

Death of the Fox: A Novel of Elizabeth and Ralegh (The Elizabethan Trilogy #1)

A meticulous re-creation of Elizabethan England that forms a trilogy with The Succession and Entered from the Sun. Here the author delves into the story of Sir Walter Ralegh's fall from favor for alleged conspiracy against James I. Garrett transports the reader to a world of cunning, intrigue, and colorful abundance.
Published September 16th 1991 by Mariner Books (first published October 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Death of the Fox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death of the Fox

The Idle Woman
This rich tapestry of a book follows the final two days of Sir Walter Raleigh's (or Ralegh's) life. Taking those two days as a framework, it lures the reader into a sequence of dreams, memories and visions that come together to create a vivid picture of Elizabethan and early Stuart England, and the men who lived in it.

Garrett's writing is dense and picturesque and this is a book that demands time to be spent on it. It is really less of a novel and more a series of fictionalised meditations on li
Andrew
Feb 28, 2010 Andrew rated it liked it
A book about the reign of Elizabeth I and her trusted ally Sir Walter Raleigh, Death of the Fox was a book that I thought I would like more, but I did not enjoy it nearly as much as I wanted to.

Historical fiction in one of the genres that is the equivalent of baked pasta for me...it is the comfort food of books. And I love the Elizabethan era. But George Garrett tells the story of the rise, fortunes and final downfall of Raleigh in a disjointed, oblique way, and I must admit, it did not grab hol
David Schaafsma
Jul 24, 2014 David Schaafsma rated it liked it
George Garrett was my teacher at Bennington in a summer writing program there in the 1979, co-taught by Nicholas Delbanco. He wrote fiction, some of it historical fiction, poetry, essays. One title I was looking for was a collection of stories he invited dozens of writers to do, to include an image of a man with a hat, or umbrella...
Tom Leland
Nov 04, 2012 Tom Leland rated it it was ok
I couldn't state my problem with this book any better than was done by another GoodReads reader:

"...(Garrett) uses many different narrative voices, and this is where he lost me. Because some of these voices are first person, but seem to belong to disembodied beings, I had no idea where the narrative was emanating from, or why that voice took over the narrative."

Supposedly Garrett researched this book for many years, and it shows...but its style was just so distracting....got to about page 310,
Redsteve
Suprisingly, this book failed with me as a historical novel. Not, as in most cases, because the history was bad - in fact, the history was excellent. My problem with Death of the Fox was that it wasn't much of a novel - the POV kept changing (which was extremely distracting) and good chunks of it were bacically historial facts delivered in the guise of dialogue, or, in many cases, monologue. Like being buttonholed by a monomaniacal 16th Century first-person interpreter.
Mary
Apr 26, 2008 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-have-read
Takes you back to Raleigh's time - full of the images of his times - London, prison, the monarchy, politics, love
Amy Case
Dec 21, 2013 Amy Case rated it liked it
Actually I gave up, maybe I just wasn't in the mood.
Thomas Atkins
Apr 19, 2013 Thomas Atkins rated it it was amazing
A masterpiece of historical imagination.
Geni
Jun 22, 2008 Geni rated it did not like it
Didn't like it; didn't finish it.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Yasaman
Yasaman marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Chandra
Chandra marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Robert Tessmer
Robert Tessmer is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2016
Korie K
Korie K marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Leslie Smith
Leslie Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
BhBookBeat
BhBookBeat marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
C.A.
C.A. marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Rebeccao
Rebeccao marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Jessica Jackson
Jessica Jackson marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Linda Cordovano
Linda Cordovano marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Kathy A
Kathy A marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Noah Count
Noah Count rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Deanna
Deanna marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Lee Monks
Lee Monks marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Susanna
Susanna marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Elizabeth St.John
Elizabeth St.John rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Debra
Debra marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Death of the Fox 1 2 Oct 04, 2013 12:31PM
(For the British short story writer, playwright, and political activist see George Garrett)

George Palmer Garrett was an American poet and novelist. He was the Poet Laureate of Virginia from 2002 to 2006. His novels include The Finished Man, Double Vision, and the Elizabethan Trilogy, composed of Death of the Fox, The Succession, and Entered from the Sun. He worked as a book reviewer and screenwrit
More about George Garrett...

The Elizabethan Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Succession: A Novel Of Elizabeth And James
  • Entered From The Sun: The Murder Of Marlowe

“All malice, real and imagined, Ralegh's and the KIng's, will die upon the instant stroke of an axe. Be buried with him. His faith, then? Whatever remains will be parted. Some will go with the head and some with the headless body. Let them look for each other on Judgment Day. Perhaps on that day, in the haste of it, the bodies of traitors will have to settle for heads other than their own. Some inevitable mismatching of villians and rogues will take place. And one fine bony fellow will spy his skull upon another's body. Then another. And then maybe we shall be witness to the brawl and battle of the bones...” 1 likes