His Mistress By Morning

His Mistress By Morning (Marlowe #1)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  792 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Oh, how I wish . . .

When a promised inheritance turns out to be a fraud, shy spinster Charlotte Wilmont makes an impetuous wish that despite her lack of charm and fortune, she could capture the heart of the one man whom she's forever adored—Sebastian, Viscount Trent.

Be careful what you wish for . . .

With that utterance, Charlotte awakens shocked to find herself entwined...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published August 29th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about His Mistress By Morning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Mistress By Morning

Amanda
Be careful what you wish for! Charlotte made a small wish without intending to...the kind of passing thought we have every day but don't expect to ever come true. But Charlotte had received a ring through her late-aunt's will, and suddenly her small wish isn't so small anymore.
Charlotte is the kind of character you have to love: quiet, kind, and a bit of a dreamer. She blends in with the drapes and hopes that someday her prince charming will actually notice her. When she suddenly becomes the mo...more
Claire
Ivana Maria David
hmm, cukup membutuhkan waktu satu malam untuk nyelesain buku ini.

Awalnya menarik banget..banget..banget..
Diceritakan, Charlotte, spinster at age 26, mempunyai cinta yang terpendam pada Sebastian, Viscount Trent, kakak dari teman baiknya, Lady Hermoine.

Charlotte tidak mempunyai daya tarik apapun, dia pemalu, dan penampilannya sangat biasa-biasa saja. Charlotte bahkan tidak bisa mengucapkan satu kata pun kepada sang Viscount saking gugupnya.

Well, never once he did pay any attention to her..
yeah,,...more
Jenn
This is the second time I've read this charming story and it's been teasing around my mind for weeks as I remembered bits of the plot but not the title or author and kept searching and searching with each little bit I remember to learn what book it was that was tempting me to read but wouldn't reveal it's title in my memory. So happy to have rediscovered this hidden gem to enjoy again.

The delightful thing about this story is the way it combines both a regency romance with just an air of fairy ta...more
Shelly
This book seemed to drag on forever and then the ending was rushed. I felt like some of the middle of the book could have been removed and more could have been added to the ending of the book to make this a better read. It was not a horrible book but I got really tired of the main characters trials as 'Lottie'.
Victoria
When shy Charlotte Wilmont makes a wish after one particularly devastating afternoon with her best friend Hermione Marlowe and her handsome older brother; Sebastian - Viscount Trent, she has no idea that the inherited ring she is wearing has the power to grant it, and change her life forever. When she awakes the next morning, she finds herself in quite a shocking situation, not to mention that her wish has come true.

I don't really remember the synopsis that I first read for this book that made m...more
Mandy
This was not what I expected at all. Based on the other Elizabeth Boyle book I read, I thought this would be your standard historical romance. It’s not. There’s time travel, a fairy godmother, and a magic ring. Different, but fun.

Charlotte, a shy spinster, thinks she’s in love with her best friend’s older brother, Sebastian. Even though she’s barely said a word to him and he doesn’t even remember her name, she makes a wish that he would love her. When Charlotte wakes up the next morning, she’s i...more
Georgie Rosehill
Dear fellow readers,

When I picked up this book, I thought the plot would be quite straightforward. A young debutante falls in love with a rake but the rake looks right through her. She then offers herself by becoming his mistress because of the undying love she felt for him. Well, in some cases, Elizabeth Boyle did fulfill the plot lines with just that and a touch of fairy dust. This was not a typical account of hero and heroine attraction amidst social standings. Instead, there was an added mag...more
Megan
4.5 Stars

I just have to say wow. I had really low expectations of this book by all the reviews which now leaves me absolutely puzzled. I can't see where people disliked the book. I thoroughly ENJOYED this book. I didn't want to put it down. I thought the book was well thought out in reference to the story line and I can't wait to read what happens to the rest of the characters. Maybe it was my low expectations but I really thought the plot line was refreshing from other historicals of tortured h...more
Annii
I love the idea of this book. "His Mistress By Morning" is a fantasy/regency romance which combines magic and regency manners in a rather charming matter. Unfortunately, it's not quite as good as it could be. "His Mistress By Morning" follows shy, plain Charlotte Wilmont, a girl destined to be a spinster who finds herself desperately in love with her best friend's older brother, Sebastian Marlowe, Viscount Trent. Sebastian barely knows she exists, and is nearly betrothed to a young lady of wealt...more
Mary
I actually enjoyed this book once I got into it. The story was all right, and the characters grew personalities as the tale went on. As happens sometimes in these "French stories" (hee hee) the author thought of a new word part way through a chapter, and then you kept seeing that word over and over again - "Made a cake of herself" is one that got repeated towards the end.

You could really see the author's research into London fashions and traditions at the time, and this paid off because it made...more
Rita
I really had a hard time with this book although I enjoyed the plot and the new kind of twist the author created. Maybe it was a little too tame for me and hoped there would be more. I give Elizabeth Boyle credit for thinking outside the box and will give her other books a try.
Mia Marlowe
Oh, how I wish . . .

How many times have we all wished for something, and then when our wish came true, we discovered our heart's desire wasn't all we expected? Elizabeth Boyle blends a touch of magic into her historical when a wish turns her heroine's world on its head.

The story is witty, fast-paced, and deliciously sensual. Yet it also explores serious themes. The possibilities of character, the roads not taken, the chance that turns a lady into a wanton, a gentleman into a cad. A whole life c...more
Bookworm1858
This was an unusual read for me because of the paranormal aspect. While I've loved Boyle's historical romances, she added a twist this time. Charlotte has been in love with Sebastian for years and one day she makes a wish that she could be loved by him. The next morning she wakes up as his mistress, infamous throughout the ton. While her days are filled with shopping and gaiety and her nights with Sebastian, she feels the lack of stature that being Sebastian's wife would afford her. But if she g...more
Rox
So Boyle decided to add a bit magic and fantasy to her work but "Mistress by Morning" is sadly disappointing. There is something off with the story and it irks me how stupid Charlotte was when she became "Lottie".
Heather Tisdale
I'm honestly only giving this one 2 stars because I was okay with the end. I don't mind someone doing something new and unique, but I really wanted to skip ahead at the beginning of the book. I didn't. I forced myself through it all only to realize that I really should have skipped a good 200 pages. Mind numbingly dull. There's some potential here, but it didn't connect with me personally.
I'll brave through at least another one of her books before calling it quits. I'm hoping to find something...more
Ginny Lakes
I loved the concept of this book. I generally don't care for paranormal stories, but this one had just enough magic in it to make things interesting without overpowering the historical setting. The story was full of unexpected twists and turns, things that were very realistic to the heroine, being who she is, waking up and finding herself in that situation. Things could have followed a trite, fairytale path, but they didn't. I really appreciated that.

I'd love to see more from this series. I like...more
LibrayDanielle
I really don't like Sebastian. he's a bastard in both time flows.
Virginia
Clever premise! Rather like Sliding Doors but different.
Stasha
If you could have a wish, and only one change in your life could affect that change, would you do it? Would you give up your place in society to have the man you loved? If it cost him and his family everything would you still do it? An inherited ring gives Charlotte the chance to be the love of Marlowe's life. However, instead of the steady man she knows, Marlowe is now a rake and Charlotte is no longer accepted in polite society since she is Marlowe's mistress. Is the wish worth it?
Nadine Jones
not loving this book ...

Oh, who am I kidding, I'm never going to finish this book. It's just so ... so ... so LUDICROUS. And ... UNPLEASANT. The writing isn't even that great. Innocent heroine wishes to be loved, isn't that sweet ... wakes up the next day to discover she's a prostitute. Is not happy about change in circumstances. Adventures ensue. I never found out what those adventures were because I couldn't stand it any more.
Shannon
I'm usually a fan of Boyle's stories but this one was too far off for me. Charlotte wants the man of her dreams, the aloof Sebastian who doesn't notice her until she wakes up as "Lottie" his mistress and a so called other version of herself. Not many places to go with this story besides Charlotte trying to adjust to her new "life" and the reader wondering when and how it will end. I really didn't care and finally just stopped reading.
Siska
spoil alert!
one thing i like about this book is, when she realize she is being selfish about her wish, and she trying to make him notice and love her again. that when i think the story become interesting, and kinky.
especially when they both in the library...
but i still confuse about the owner of the ring itself, so i read the second series and still didn't understood
Kelley
I made the mistake of beginning this book at about 8 o'clock at night. I finished about 2 o'clock this morning. Oh well, who really needs sleep. What an amazingly wicked sense of humor comes though in this book I keep laughing at the situations the characters were in. The romance is quite steamy. I really enjoyed the unusual paranormal twist.
April
This was a good light read. I thought it was different to have the heroine "learn" from her alternate self in the world she created after she made her wish to become the talk of the ton when she was only just a retiring miss before the wish. That was definitely a neat twist in the storyline.
Vera
I loved this book, the characters, the story, the passion between Sebastian and Charlotte. I had this book on holiday with me and finished it far quicker than I thought I would. I actually reread it right after finishing it!
Sally
Not my favorite...
Gail
This one has a fairy-tale element, where the heroine makes a wish on a magic ring, and becomes the hero's "Mistress by morning." He finally notices her, but it's one of those "be careful what you wish for" stories.
  • Seduction of a Proper Gentleman (Last Man Standing, #4)
  • Two Little Lies (MacLachlan Family, #3)
  • The Reluctant Reformer
  • Lessons in Seduction (Greentree Sisters, #1)
  • For the Earl's Pleasure
  • To Wed a Scandalous Spy (Royal Four, #1)
  • How to Seduce a Duke (Royle Sisters, #1)
  • The Wicked Games of a Gentleman (Boscastle, #4)
  • Hero, Come Back
  • In the Thrill of the Night (Merry Widows, #1)
  • Never Seduce a Scoundrel (School for Heiresses #1)
  • By Love Undone (Bancroft Brothers, #1)
  • Revenge Wears Rubies (Jaded Gentleman, #1)
  • His Favorite Mistress (Mistress Trilogy, #3)
19842
Elizabeth Boyle was an antipiracy paralegal for Microsoft before settling down to write full-time. Her first novel, Brazen Angel, which won Dell's Diamond Debut Award in 1996, also won the Romance Writers of America's RITA Award for Best First Book, and was a finalist for Best Long Historical Romance. She lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington. She is also the author of Brazen Heiress.
More about Elizabeth Boyle...
Love Letters From a Duke (Bachelor Chronicles, #3) Something About Emmaline (Bachelor Chronicles, #1) Confessions of a Little Black Gown (Bachelor Chronicles, #4) This Rake of Mine (Bachelor Chronicles, #2) Mad about the Duke (Bachelor Chronicles, #7)