Start by marking “Out of Time's Abyss” as Want to Read:
Out of Time's Abyss

Out of Time's Abyss (Caspak #3)

pubOne.info thank you for your continued support and wish to present you this new edition. This is the tale of Bradley after he left Fort Dinosaur upon the west coast of the great lake that is in the center of the island.
Published September 15th 2010 by Pubone.Info (first published 1918)

To ask other readers questions about Out of Time's Abyss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of Time's Abyss

Kat  Hooper
Dec 13, 2012 Kat Hooper rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at FanLit. http://www.fantasyliterature.com/revi...

In Out of Time’s Abyss, the last volume of Edgar Rice Burrough’s CASPAK trilogy, we learn what happened to Bradley, one of the adventurers we met in the first novel, The Land that Time Forgot. As we expected, Bradley has frightening adventures on Caspak, is nearly killed by lions, bears, tigers, dinosaurs, etc, and he saves and falls in love with a beautiful young damsel in distress.

In this installment, we meet the Wieroo, the
Carol Storm
Mar 24, 2015 Carol Storm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was 12 and absolutely loved it. Yet strangely, I never did get around to reading the first two books in the series. Now I'm trying to read the first book, THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT, since I got it for free on Amazon Kindle. So far it sucks.

This book seems to be the best of the three -- contrary to what other reviewers say. That's because it starts out where you're already in the world of the dinosaurs, and you can just roll into it, without having to waste dozens of page
John
Jul 06, 2014 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, pulp
The third and weakest entry in the CASPAK trilogy, OUT OF TIME'S ABYSS is too silly and implausible for readers to stay interested in all the world-building throughout. Burroughs should have just stuck with dinosaurs; instead, our hero is pitted against a race of bat/human hybrids with a convoluted evolutionary history that requires them to kidnap unwilling females in order to reproduce, and to become serial murderers in order to climb the social ladder. Our hero spends much of the book punching ...more
AndrewP
Jan 11, 2012 AndrewP rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The third and final book of the Caspak trilogy, although I use the term 'book' loosely as each one is less than 200 pages. To be fair, they were originally serialized as pulp fiction, so it's not surprising that they are relatively short.

Out of Times's Abyss was never made into a movie, but it would make a decent one I think. One thing the book does do, is nicely ties into the other two books and brings the series to an overall conclusion at the end. The final explanation of the evolution proces
Quicksilver Quill
The climactic finale of the Caspak trilogy, Out of Time’s Abyss is possibly the strangest, most creative, and most intense of the three books. Choosing an interesting and quite unexpected plotline, in this tale Burroughs follows the adventures of Bradley and his small group of men who had set out on an exploratory expedition in the first book only to disappear, their fate unknown . . . until now.

This was a great premise, although initially it took me a moment to remember exactly who Bradley was
Stephen Brooke
Dec 05, 2012 Stephen Brooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
One of the all-time great titles for a novel, isn’t it? The final of the three Caspak books, in some ways it is more reminiscent of a Barsoom adventure than its two predecessors—Burroughs’s favored lost-city-with-strange-inhabitants motif is added to the prehistoric dangers we’ve already seen.

It’s an odd mix but an inventive one, and it works. Overall, ‘Out of Time’s Abyss’ is perhaps the best of ERB’s short novels set in this world. The book also fully lays out the odd and rather preposterous s
Mark
Aug 30, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Old ERB, you can still entertain 100 years later. Sure, you have some silly dialog and your books certainly don't often appeal to women but you write action scenes as well as anyone ever has.

Ray Bradbury said it well: "I love to say it because it upsets everyone terribly—Burroughs is probably the most influential writer in the entire history of the world," Bradbury said.
"By giving romance and adventure to a whole generation of boys, Burroughs caused them to go out and decide to become special.
Stuart
Mar 03, 2015 Stuart rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
By the third Caspak book, it is clear that Burroughs' heroes and villains are pretty cookie cutter. Brave hero meets native girl, they fall in love through their shared ordeals and they defeat the villains.

With that said, the strength of this story is the interesting society he develops with the Weiroos. Through book 1 and 2 there have been hints about the winged creatures, but in this book we finally get to see why the other tribes fear them and why they are heading to an evolutionary dead end
Samantha Glasser
This is my favorite book of the Caspak series. It follows the excursion of a group of men who went exploring in the first book. One of them, Bradley gets kidnapped by a Wieroo, a winged man with claw-like hands and a dead man's eyes. He is taken as a prisoner to a small island next to Caspak where the Wieroos live. He learns they are a violent race of men who are decendants of the Galu, the highest form of human evolution. On their island, Bradley finds a girl and attempts to help her to safety. ...more
Ringman Roth
Not too bad, but not as good as the previous, and the same "Guy gets separated from group, fights his way through hordes of critters while falling for a girl" story is getting old. The first one had the awesome submarine sequence in it, the second one tried to mix things up with a character and look at the deeper cultures of the races of Caspak, but this one seems more like a rehash of the second book. It throws in the race of the Wieroo, but they seem too one dimensional, and a bit ludicrous at ...more
Ernest Solar
Jun 16, 2015 Ernest Solar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always been a fan of Edgar Rice Burroughs. His writing is timeless and simple. His stories are born out of his imagination. However, I could argue the stories he shares with us (the reader) could easily be glimpses of worlds that he has been privileged to see and feels compelled to share with us. We should all feel honored by what he has shared with us over 100 years ago!
John Peel
Aug 25, 2016 John Peel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final book in the Caspak trilogy answers the various questions raised by the first two books. Adventure as only Burroughs could do, with the usual array of improbable coincidences that Burroughs reveled in. A nice conclusion to the storyline.
Ali Mandala
Jan 31, 2014 Ali Mandala rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book but I missed the first person narrator of the other books.
I enjoyed the story and the explanation of the islands evolution (although I'm still a little confused about where the wieroos come from).
I thought that the adventure was wonderful and was quite glad that the main character worried less about the "social standing" or "evolutionary standing" of his match.
The treatment of language was still quite interesting to me, simply because I spend so much of my time teachi
Steve
Aug 01, 2014 Steve rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed these types of new/other world adventure stories in the past. The first couple books in the series were interesting and developed some plot elements that held some promise. This last book became very repetitive and much of the storyline was just a rehash of the prior installments. I stuck around to the end of the series to see the explanation for the lost world and it's rather unique evolutionary system. It wasn't worth the time. The resolution of the story and the underlying expl ...more
Benjamin Elliott
This book fleshed out the Wieroos and gave a more complete look at the evolutionary method of the island. I'm not sure it entirely held together, but it was definitely interesting. I think the book would have been better if the Wieroos were not so 2-dimensional. They could have been less obviously evil, which would have made the dynamic of the story much more interesting (not too mention how hard it is too believe they can repopulate anywhere near as fast as they were killing each other off). Al ...more
Nick Cincotta
May 22, 2016 Nick Cincotta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scot
Feb 06, 2011 Scot rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Third installment in Burrough's Caspak trilogy. This book introduces characters who disappeared in the first novel and takes up the tale of their subsequent adventures, eventually connecting figures and events across both earlier novels. This time around we spend a lot more time among the Wieroo, a winged species of human banshees who might have advanced intelligence but have used it to create a human bird-bat civilization based on advancement through murder. The theme of Anglo-Saxon hero fallin ...more
Cathy
Jul 11, 2011 Cathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
The third and final book in the Caspak series picks up on the struggle of some of the survivors from Book One. We finally learn of THE highest evolved human but I'm not sure human is the correct term. They seem to have gone beyond human.

Murderous winged creatures abound on one isolated island on the inner sea. They are desperate to learn how to reproduce, sexually, that will result in the birth of females to their race. (All their live-birth offspring are males.) They are in the habit of kidnap
astaliegurec
May 07, 2015 astaliegurec rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edgar Rice Burroughs' "Out of Time's Abyss" ties up the loose ends left from the previous two books in the series and finishes the whole thing off. The writing lies somewhere between the first book and the second in quality and feel, while the characters are pretty much your standard Burroughs characters. If you liked the previous two books, then you'll want to read this one (if only for the closure). I'd actually like to rate it at 3-1/2 stars. But, since I can't, I guess I'll bump it up a tad ...more
Randy
Mar 29, 2011 Randy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the tale of Bradley's adventures in Caspak after he left Fort Dinosaur with his hunting part(The Land That Time Forgot).

He is captured by the winged humans, the Wieroo, and flown to their island in the middle of the inland sea. There he meets the beautiful Galu, Co-Tan, frees her and himself from their clutches, wins her love amidst adventures in getting back to the mainland.

Great fun for a long time fan of Burroughs. It's been a good many years since I fitrst read these three adventures
Julia
Mar 16, 2014 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
By the author of the original Tarzan books, this is the last novel of the CASPAK trilogy. It brings together lost characters from the first two stories, and takes place largely in the city of the highest order of evolved humans, a group of horribly murderous and spooky winged people. Full of more impossible escapes from impending doom amid beastly humans and "extinct" beasts. Once again, the evolutionary angle is off-putting, but it's still a fun read. (I listened to this as a free audiobook fro ...more
Jonathan
Jul 25, 2012 Jonathan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, 2012
This is the third book in the Caspak trilogy. I enjoyed how each book told the story of different individuals. There's definitely a cookie-cutter feel to Burroughs's stories, but they are enjoyable nonetheless.

This third book ties together the discoveries made by the protagonists of books one and two. It expounds on the evolutionary process in Caspak as well as the social structure of some of the different civilizations.

If you enjoyed book one or two, you might as well read this one. Like the fi
Thomas
I really liked the first two books in this Burroughs lost world series; in this third novel, he inexplicably breaks the format and switches from first person to third person. He does eventually get around to explaining some stuff and wrapping it all up, which is kinda cool. But overall I wasn't stoked about the storytelling and didn't get that much out of this third entry in the series. I found it disappointing.
Matthew George
Aug 12, 2013 Matthew George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pleasing, if predictable, end to this trilogy. I have begun to tire a bit of Burroughs's pattern for romance: strong and intelligent man finds absurdly pretty girl who is capable of handling herself, falls in love (perhaps not right away), protects her through all danger (despite her own formidable skills, with which she will save him at least once), happily ever after. Still that doesn't hinder my enjoyment too much.
Andrew
Mar 25, 2012 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, fantasy
A shortish read but the best of the three books in this series as far as I am concerned..in some ways it reminded me of the film 'beneath the planet of the apes' in regard the race of people living in tunnels in this book.
It's a quick read as it's very short and certainly it has that 'pulp' quality but it is a fun read and only really slowed down at the end....which is a pretty good place to slow down!!
Andrew
Jun 01, 2014 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final book in the Land/People That Time Forgot series ties up the threads of the story in a satisfactory manner. The narrative here is interesting, if not remarkable. However, I read the three stories with gaps in between and think they would definitely benefit from a reading of all three one after the other as the events are cross-referenced. Worth a look, especially for this who grew up seeing the films.
Todd Martin
Oct 29, 2014 Todd Martin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Out of Time’s Abyss is the third and final book in the Caspak series. It strays rather a lot from the original premise (the whole land that time forgot concept) with the introduction of the Wieroo, and is basically the same story as the other books in the series, but it’s fun all the same. With that said, I’ve had my Burroughs fix for the time being and will be taking a break.
David Meiklejohn
A short book, this follows one of the adventurers from the previous books as he is captured by winged people and taken away to their city. As usual there's an attractive young girl to rescue and awkwardly fall in love with, and lots of danger to overcome with the indomitable English spirit. It was a decent read but nothing to write home about, though I suppose that's what I'm doing here.
Frans Karlsson
In this book we follow Bradley who went missing in the first. We also find out the full story about the evolution in Caspak. Same concept like the first two books. A girl, love at first sight and a escape from monsters. This time we find out about the winged people.
Tonya
Mar 09, 2010 Tonya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Audiobook from LibriVox. (LibriVox provides free audiobooks from the public domain. http://librivox.org)

Classic adventure pulp from the man who gave us Tarzan. A highly entertaining escape from the work day. :)
  • Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan: The Land That Time Forgot
  • Lord Of Thunder (Beast Master / Hosteen Storm, #2)
  • Almuric
  • Masters Of The Pit Or Barbarians Of Mars (Michael Kane, Vol. 3)
  • The Sky So Big and Black (Century Next Door, #4)
  • The Story of Atlantis and the Lost Lemuria
  • Dinotopia: First Flight
  • Conan of the Isles (Conan 12)
  • The Disintegration Machine
  • Lost Legacy
  • Edgar Rice Burroughs : Master of Adventure
  • The Misplaced Battleship
  • A Dream of Armageddon
  • The Red Skull (Doc Savage, #17)
Edgar Rice Burroughs was an American author, best known for his creation of the jungle hero Tarzan and the heroic John Carter, although he produced works in many genres.
More about Edgar Rice Burroughs...

Caspak (4 books)
  • The Land That Time Forgot (Caspak, #1)
  • The People That Time Forgot (Caspak, #2)
  • The Land That Time Forgot (Caspak, #1-3)