Start by marking “A Year with Rumi: Daily Readings” as Want to Read:
A Year with Rumi: Daily Readings

A Year with Rumi: Daily Readings

Coleman Barks has played a central role in making the Sufi mystic Rumi the most popular poet in the world. A Year with Rumi brings together 365 of Barks's elegant and beautiful translations of Rumi's greatest poems, including fifteen never-before-published poems.

Barks includes an Introduction that sets Rumi in his context and an Afterword musing on poetry of the mysterious
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published October 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Year with Rumi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Year with Rumi

Nick
Jan 04, 2010 Nick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I only spent about a half-year with Rumi, but that was because the poetry is so wonderful and Rumi's voice so startlingly fresh that I raced through this splendid volume. If you haven't run across this remarkable 15th Century poet before, this fat volume is a good place to start. You'll find an arresting image, thought, or musing on nearly every page.
Vicky
Oct 21, 2009 Vicky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite book of poems, I read them 3 years ago and I like to read them again every couple of years. Regardless that Rumi lived in the 13th century, his poems are modern and relevant to our time, their meaning did not change with time and their beauty speaks with the heart.
Ashley
I bought and started "A Year with Rumi" on the morning of January 1, 2014 and finished on the evening of December 31, so for me, this truly was a year-long experience. I couldn't be happier that I did it.

Coleman Barks is the preeminent translator of Rumi's texts and has compiled a wonderful collection here. Each piece is thought-provoking; many days are more challenging than they are melodic or calming. Barks very, very loosely organizes poems in accordance with the Northern Hemisphere seasons
Linda Hollingsworth
I have been re-reading these short writings of the 13th century poet, Rumi, for three or four years; the length of each one is ideal for a thoughtful drift into sleep each evening. His poetry obliterates all dogma of any one religion in favor of innate wisdom which explains why it is read and quoted the world over.

A quote from May 27

..."At night before sleeping you take off the tight shoes,
and your soul releases into a place it knows.
Dream and glide deeper."
Jobie
Nov 24, 2014 Jobie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
This one will definitely go into my regular rotation.

I don't consider myself a romantic but the way Rumi talks about love is idea shattering and familiar at the same time. He is a sympathetic lover-poet. He talks about God and life and doing the right thing as well. He is a great addition when I'm wrapping up my yoga class.
Jenn
Mar 10, 2016 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first introduction to Rumi; life changer. Really beautiful, powerful words.
Michael Zone
A superb introduction to not only the Sufi poet but to Coleman Barks as well. Some of the poems did prompt to reflect and meditate on current scenes in my life, yet not all the poems hit home... which is fine because that is what poetry tends to do.
Karen Hugo
Jan 05, 2014 Karen Hugo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rumi is timeless! No matter how many times I read through this day book--there is something new that hits me. I enjoy spending the year with his beautiful words and elegant thoughts.
Rumi rocks!
Jen ƸӜƷ
What a journey, reading Rumi' s beautiful words of wisdom has been a true pleasure.
Karen
Sep 27, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the poems in this book a lot. They are some of the best Rumi poems.
Cindy
Everything that is important I learn from this book!
Janel
Dec 27, 2009 Janel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I start my day with it.
Susan
Jan 26, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Born in Afghanistan in the early thirteenth century, Rumi and his family moved to what is now Turkey where he wrote these mystic Sufi poems. Mr. Barks’ interpretations present the poems in an accessible, modern format (he provides some background and an explanation of his working methods in the introduction).

The modern poet Robert Bly talks about “leaping” poetry, which is what these poems do -- taking the reader with them in their abrupt but poignant transitions between images and ideas:

“Solom
David Roberts
This is a wonderful book of daily readings from the works of Rumi, skillfully selected and translated by Coleman Barks, who, I am told, is one of the great Rumi scholars.

The book consists of a daily poem, generally one-half to one page long. There is only occasional commentary explaining a word or context. (I would have enjoyed a bit of context for each poem, to aid in understanding.)

In any case, the selections are just wonderfully thought provoking and each a great substrate for meditation and
Eleni
May 09, 2014 Eleni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely way to begin each day--with grace & beauty, and light.
Jim Krotzman
Apr 06, 2015 Jim Krotzman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three hundred sixty-five poems, one for each day of the year, contain depth and density. I found myself reading most poems two or three times.
Cynthia
Aug 17, 2007 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone in need of a good way to start the day
I listed this as "currently reading" and won't change that ever. 2007 was declared (by someone) as The Year of Rumi and this collection was put out, with a short passage for every day of the calendar year. Reading even the shortest passages changes my perceptions every day, challenges me, sometimes makes me clap my hands and laugh. I look forward into delving further into the works of Rumi in the coming years.
Brandice
Jun 13, 2011 Brandice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, spirit, poetry
I've reached a point where I think I've read every day in this book over the past two years (caught up with the months I missed last year), but I continue to read it regularly. :) Beautiful, beautiful writing and wonderful insights. I love that there are days where the verses are perfectly fitted to the day I'm having, or at the very least give me a lot to think about...
GeekChick
Feb 15, 2008 GeekChick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I like being able to randomly pick this book up and get a daily dose of Rumi. I don't do it every day, but it's a nice resource to have when you just want a little something to make you think.
MacKenzie
Sep 04, 2008 MacKenzie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book chooses inspirational Rumi quotes and pairs them with beautiful imagery. Not much reading to do, but if you want to be wowed by the writing of a true love poet, have at it!
Ruth Scotti
Apr 27, 2009 Ruth Scotti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading a daily poem since I started this book in late January. Though not all of them resonate, I feel like this little ritual adds much depth and meaning to my daily life.
Luellen Phelps
This is a delightful book and a wonderful way to spend a whole year with Rumi. It is my second reading and some days it takes my breath away. He is truly my favorite poet.
Shana
Aug 21, 2009 Shana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Poetry fans
What can I say? I have a thing for 16th century Persian poetry, and Rumi is the backbone of Persian poetry. Not to mention beautiful, timely, etc..
Cade
Oct 19, 2014 Cade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really great writtings from Rumi. It makes for a great read just before bed. One a day and something to ponder just before going to sleep.
Eka Listy
Oct 17, 2015 Eka Listy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Through this book, Rumi brings us to the journey of life cycle and deliver essential messages for our reflection. Definitely a must read!
Patrick T. Randolph
Bring this fine collection with you on a trip and let your spirit become intoxicated with the power of God's grin!
Skylar Burris
Oct 11, 2010 Skylar Burris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, islam
I like the idea of a daily reading from Rumi, but the selections in other collections of his work are better.
Kimberly
Apr 28, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rumi is ravishing- cannot get enough of him.
Recently was in Konya, Turkey at the Rumi Museum and Mausoleum.
Joy
Nov 15, 2012 Joy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Rumi is helping me add some depth to my life.
Paige
Sep 23, 2014 Paige rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great poems all throughout!
  • A Year with Hafiz: Daily Contemplations
  • A Year with Rilke: Daily Readings from the Best of Rainer Maria Rilke
  • The Illuminated Prayer: The Five-Times Prayer of the Sufis
  • Ten Poems to Change Your Life
  • Learn to Meditate: A Practical Guide to Self-Discovery and Fulfillment
  • Love Poems from God: Twelve Sacred Voices from the East and West
  • Silence in the Snowy Fields: Poems (Wesleyan Poetry Program)
  • I Am Wind, You Are Fire: The Life and Work of Rumi
  • Me and Rumi: The Autobiography of Shams-i Tabrizi
  • Moorish Spain
  • After
  • The Soul of Iran: A Nation's Struggle for Freedom
  • Crisis of Conscience
  • Earth Prayers: From Around the World: 365 Prayers, Poems, and Invocations for Honoring the Earth
  • Given
  • Life's Companion: Journal Writing as a Spiritual Practice
  • Forgotten Queens of Islam
  • Harry Potter for Nerds: Essays for Fans, Academics, and Lit Geeks
Rumi was a 13th-century Persian poet, jurist, Islamic scholar, theologian, and Sufi mystic. His poems have been widely translated into many of the world's languages, and he has been described as the most popular poet and the best-selling poet in the United States.

His poetry has influenced Persian literature, but also Turkish, Ottoman Turkish, Azerbaijani, Punjabi, Hindi, and Urdu, as well as the l
More about Jalaluddin Rumi...

“At night, I open the window
and ask the moon to come
and press its face against mine.
Breathe into me.
Close the language-door
and open the love-window.
The moon won't use the door,
only the window.”
421 likes
“You left ground and sky weeping,
mind and soul full of grief.

No one can take your place in existence,
or in absence. Both mourn, the angels, the prophets,
and this sadness I feel has taken from me
the taste of language, so that I cannot say
the flavor of my being apart.”
37 likes