100 Great Operas And Their Stories: Act-By-Act Synopses

100 Great Operas And Their Stories: Act-By-Act Synopses

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  9 reviews
An invaluable guide for both casual opera fans and afficionados, this volume contains act-by-act descriptions of operatic works ranging from the early seventeenth century masterworks of Monteverdi and Purcell to the modern classics of Menotti and Britten. Written in a lively anecdotal style, entries include character descriptions, historical background, and much more.

From...more
Published November 17th 2010 by Anchor (first published April 22nd 1989)

To ask other readers questions about 100 Great Operas And Their Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Great Operas And Their Stories

This book is a great reference for opera viewers.

What to expect from this book:
-Character names (helps you keep everybody straight in those operas with big casts)
-General background information (setting time and place, first performance date, who wrote the music and libretto, and the literature it is based when applicable)
-Some background information about the opera, its creation, its composer and/or librettist(s)
-Act-by-act synopses that help you follow or prepare for the plot
-Brief histor...more
Eyehavenofilter
This is an absolute must for opera lovers and theatre lovers alike. The plot thickens with each opera we all learn that there is nothing new in the world as far as plots go! (and this goes for Shakespeare as well) so use this as a great resource when your head runs dry! Or you want to feel really smart and well educated!
julie
Feb 23, 2009 julie marked it as reference-and-continual-reads  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to julie by: Passed on to me from my grandmother
I return to this book frequently as a reference; it's a wonderful refresher for familiar operas and an enormous help for works into which I'm venturing. It will probably remain on my "currently-reading" list and, obviously, I'm not ever truly "on" any page in particular.
Pamela Taylor
This is a wonderful book - one that I will never really "finish". I love the Opera, and it is so much more enjoyable to understand the story of what you are seeing acted out on stage. This book helps a great deal in addition to library lectures prior to a performance.

Aaron
Just another book that reviews opera stories. Not too much stands out in this book. This book gets just 3 stars from me, anything less is considered having stolen my time to read it.
Meltha
If you're even attempting going to an opera, for pity's sake, read the plot first! This actually makes everything very understandable and interesting.
Castiron
Good summaries of many popular and less well-known operas.
Gregory Knapp
A great basic resource.

One-stop shopping!
Suzie
A must have for any opera lover
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Candy Wyman
Candy Wyman marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Ellie
Ellie is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2014
Carol
Carol added it
Aug 13, 2014
V
V is currently reading it
Sep 09, 2014
Marta  Sandoval
Marta Sandoval marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Sparky
Sparky added it
Jun 06, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Kevan
Kevan marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Spencer Colvin
Spencer Colvin marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Pocket Book of Great Operas A Treasury of Grand Opera: Don Giovanni, Lohengrin, La Traviata, Faust, Aida, Carmen, Pagliacci The complete sonnets, songs and poems of William Shakespeare 100 Great Operas And Their Stories: Act-By-Act Synopses The Victor book of the opera