Start by marking “The Trial of Colonel Sweeto and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Trial of Colonel Sweeto and Other Stories

The Trial of Colonel Sweeto and Other Stories

4.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,985 Ratings  ·  119 Reviews
The award-winning Perry Bible Fellowship has a achieved a cult following both online and in its weekly appearances in newspapers and magazines around the world. Now, for the first time, the hilarious cartoons of Nicholas Gurewitch are being collected in this handsome hardcover edition.
Published November 14th 2007 by Dark Horse (first published November 13th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Trial of Colonel Sweeto and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trial of Colonel Sweeto and Other Stories

Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Best Graphic Novels
384th out of 2,246 books — 5,269 voters
The Complete Calvin and Hobbes by Bill WattersonThe Days Are Just Packed by Bill WattersonIt's a Magical World by Bill WattersonScientific Progress Goes "Boink" by Bill WattersonThe Essential Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson
Comic Strip Collections
66th out of 290 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

karen
Aug 03, 2008 karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-laughter
there are still two or three i didnt understand (but i was o so sleepy at the time) which i will revisit, but the rest are wonderfully funny and sick and drawn in such a variety of styles; its truly impressive as a work of black insensitive humor.
Apr 01, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
There's a theory about the instigation of the French Revolution -- and I'm not saying I ascribe to it, but I certainly am enamored of it -- that there was so little knowledge of food science that wheat and other grains were stored without regard for safety or preservation. So much of the grain used for baking grew moldy and fermented to the point that many French, especially the poor, were basically walking around gnawing on crusty chunks of LSD. (Marie-Antoinette: "Why is everyone acting so cra ...more
kimberly
Mar 24, 2015 kimberly rated it it was amazing
huge variety of styles, much darkness and laffs.
Melanie
Dec 19, 2007 Melanie marked it as to-read
"Alright, so a case can be made that The Perry Bible Fellowship (Dark Horse, 96 pp., $14.95) is some seriously sick shit. Redlining the eclectic meter with drawing styles that include Flash Player bold, Edward Gorey quaint, and treacle pastel, Nicholas Gurewitch's weekly strips fascinatingly manipulate time. Two rabbits are trapped in a pit—in the second panel, one says, "With love, anything is possible"; in the third, they climb out atop a writhing heap of their children. Or a man loudly procla ...more
Will
May 15, 2008 Will rated it it was amazing
People, people, people. Here's one I HIGHLY recommend. This comic strip writer/illustrator is a true artist. Brilliant, clever ideas abound in language and images. Wildly imaginative, deeply funny (and/or disturbing). Some strips are so subtle I had to stare at them for awhile to get the joke. But it's there, people. Oh, it's there. And he gets real too. It's not often enough where you get to see serious topics like death and sex teased in a comic strip. I tell you, I've read this through twice ...more
Stewart Tame
Sep 05, 2014 Stewart Tame rated it really liked it
Perry Bible Fellowship is an amazingly good comic. I love how Nicholas Gurewitch seems able to assume any art style he chooses, seemingly at will. And his sense of humor is incredibly sick, twisted, and wrong. It's great! My inner self was frequently crying out, "Oh, he did NOT just go there!" Definitely not for small children or the easily offended, but scandalously funny stuff!
Cale
Dec 29, 2015 Cale rated it liked it
The Perry Bible Fellowship is a bit of an acquired taste, so I'm glad I was already familiar with them before reading this, although to be fair I'd read almost all of the collection before. But most of them retain their dark humor on re-reading. Each is a standalone, with surprisingly detailed art in many cases, highlighting a very warped sense of humor, and some jokes you're afraid to admit you laugh at. There are some never-before-published comics as well, which are a nice bonus. But this is a ...more
Melissa
Oct 14, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Endless LOLs!
Thomas
Oct 18, 2008 Thomas rated it it was amazing
Take some Gary Larson, add a little Dan Piraro, a touch of Gahan Wilson; and then add some Clive Barker, some Modern Toss, and then a little Apocolypse Culture, and whip it up with a lot of cheekiness and more than a little bit of nasty what the fuck?, and you have The Perry Bible Fellowship, certainly one of the most freaking awesome cartoons out there. And it's totally out there, man!

For instance, in one of the strips, you see a bespectacled woman approach a little girl clutching a doll. "Bad
Brenton Nichol
The Perry Bible Fellowship is one of my favorite whacked-out online comic strips, with a sense of humor reminiscent of Gary Larson's Far Side while completely avoiding anything that can be called a tired copycat mechanic of that old classic, which can not be said for a variety of other comic strips in the papers and on the web that DO soullessly mimic The Far Side. PBF resides on a world of its own.

However, after having gone back through the archives of the online strip, this book leaves out a h
Karen Powell
For fans of the online comic The Perry Bible Fellowship, this book will hold nothing new. This book is an archive of previously published comics. Yet if you are a fan, you'll no doubt be delighted with rehashing these old comics, as its biting, clever humor will catch you off guard again and again. [return]A great staple of PBF humor is the "things are not quite what they seem" reveal: everything looks sweet and innocent until the final panel, where we see that something dark and/or morbid has h ...more
Little Red Hat
Sep 27, 2014 Little Red Hat rated it it was amazing
A collection of funny, clever, but very twisted comics. The strips themselves, including some stunning homages to other artists, are very skillfully drawn, and while some of the jokes were obviously designed to shock, they are amusing too.

An ideal quick read for comic lovers. Highly recommended.
Jennie Machines
Dec 16, 2015 Jennie Machines rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Two of my coworkers were teasing me for reading this book. I told them it had been recommended to me by my Superbestie - and then they teased me even more. But after they had each paged through it they have now decided they must also read it.

This is grade A funny stuff. I love it.
Patrick
May 02, 2012 Patrick rated it it was amazing

The print collection of one of the best comics ever: The Perry Bible Fellowship. (A title which tells you absolutely nothing about the comic itself.)

Rather than try to awkwardly explain what the comic is about. I'll simply say that it is brilliantly funny, surreal, and (atypically for me) safe for work. (By which I mean that it's not full of cussing and boobs. Odds are you'll still get in trouble if you try to read a comic at work.)

Here's a link so you can read some of the comic yourself.

http
Mardie
Apr 20, 2014 Mardie rated it it was amazing
My comedy-writing son suggested this book to me and I fell in love with Perry Bible Fellowship. Irreverent, offensive to many, but it hit my twisted sense of humor perfectly and I can still laugh aloud remembering some of the drawings. Unicorn power!
Kristy
Jun 29, 2014 Kristy rated it it was amazing
I didn't even know a book version of the genius-level online comic The Perry Bible Fellowship existed until I saw it at the library. It is just as wonderful as one might expect. Chock full of three panel, stand alone, comic gut punches. I love the PBF.
Kate
Jan 10, 2015 Kate rated it really liked it
This mix of varied art style cartoons offers dirty jokes, sad irony, inappropriateness and just plain bizarre fun.

I thoroughly enjoyed this, even when the jokes were saturated with the sad expense of others!
J.T.
Jan 30, 2016 J.T. rated it it was amazing
Gurewitch perhaps is representative of the future of the comic strip. His comics are aware of their form and their place in the history of the strip, but reject the simplification seen in a lot of newspaper comics (simplified for time constraints and to appear bold and graphic despite the cheap printing process). The book is amazing even just for how unbelievably meticulously wrought every single work is, but even more amazing for how painfully funny it is. His dark humor often makes you feel li ...more
Neil
Apr 29, 2014 Neil rated it liked it
There are laugh out loud moments in this twisted little compilation of offbeat newspaper strips, but overall it's very hit and miss and would have more impact in its original form.
Brandy
Oct 13, 2007 Brandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, 2007reads
Most of the book is just reprinting strips from the web, but it's still a blast to read. I've read nearly everything in this book and it still makes me laugh. Several strips I needed to read multiple times before I got the joke, but once I did, it's hilarious. There's a section at the end of strips he's rejected for various reasons, and while I mostly agree with his reasons for rejecting them, a couple are laugh-out-loud funny.

More sex and nudity than I recalled, though, so I might have some tro
Kira
Mar 16, 2008 Kira rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I was really drawn to the book design, because the cover art was amazing and the front and backing boards were even printed on a material similar to retro boardgames. While it seemed like a fun collector's item, tens of thousands of first addition copies were sold. Also, this book provides only a small sample of Perry Bible Fellowship (yet nonetheless classic PBF moments). Additionally, now that Nicholas Gurewitch has announced the semi-retirement of the series, and that Dark Horse plans on publ ...more
Oscar
Feb 07, 2014 Oscar rated it it was amazing
I went into this already being a fan of TPBF, so it's really no surprise that I enjoyed it. It was fun to revisit old strips in dead-tree format - and to see some content that never made it to the web.
Kimber Cross
Apr 27, 2014 Kimber Cross rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous, satirical, dark. A great gift for friends with a wicked sense of humour.
Rob
Nov 06, 2014 Rob rated it it was amazing
Objectively speaking, Perry Bible Fellowship is the best webcomic of all time.
Duane Ballenger
Feb 10, 2014 Duane Ballenger rated it really liked it
A laugh storm, every time I have read it.
Lynne Premo
Apr 06, 2015 Lynne Premo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Warped and pervy and hilarious.
Jim
Dec 23, 2007 Jim rated it really liked it
As others have noted, you can find pretty much all of this stuff online. But a portable copy of these hilarious strips can come in handy on the road, the john, and other places where laptops are a bit awkward. I will note that while I like the design of the book, I did feel like a creep reading what looked like a little kids book on the bus. Thankfully, public embarrassment is a small price to pay for these hilarious comics.
Frank
Nov 30, 2014 Ben Schaffer rated it it was amazing
False
King Ævil
Jan 04, 2008 King Ævil rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of twisted humor
Shelves: 2008, comix
Take the bizarre, unpredictable humor of the Far Side, free it from all restrictions against explicit themes and poor taste, and add a hefty dollop of noir. That's The Perry Bible Fellowship. The Trial of Colonel Sweeto contains most of the cartoons currently (1/4/2008) available on the Web site, in a lightweight portable form that you can read in bed without fear of irradiating your genitalia, plus a few outtakes. Great fun for sick minds, drawn in a variety of styles.
  • The Great Outdoor Fight
  • Your Whole Family is Made Out of Meat: The Best of Dinosaur Comics, 2003-2005 A.D.
  • My Brain is Hanging Upside Down
  • Wondermark, Vol. 1: Beards of Our Forefathers
  • The Warsun Prophecies (Penny Arcade, #3)
  • Masterpiece Comics
  • The Best American Comics 2008
  • The Adventures Of Dr. McNinja (Volume 1)
  • The Best American Comics 2009