Start by marking “Appleseed #4: Promethean Balance (Nfsuk)” as Want to Read:
Appleseed #4: Promethean Balance (Nfsuk)

Appleseed #4: Promethean Balance (Appleseed #4)

Functional simplicity, structural complexity: the best life for all. That's the maxim of Olympus, the utopian city that sprung from the ashes of World War III. But Deunan and Bri, a young woman and her cyborg companion just entering the rose-tinted society, find that so long as there are different kinds of people there will be differences among them. Such is the story of A ...more
Paperback
Published August 1st 2000 by Dark Horse Comics (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Appleseed #4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Appleseed #4

Alexander Engel-Hodgkinson
It still retains the flaws of the previous books, but it's an entertaining read nonetheless. Aside from whatever problems this volume maintains from its predecessors, the only other problem I have is that this volume doesn't really feel like an ending.

It's the last volume in the main storyline (as far as I know, unless there's some sort of obscure fifth volume I don't know about), but as far as appropriate endings go, this doesn't seem to have resolved much. I mean, the main characters struggle
Eric Johnson
Mar 04, 2015 Eric Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book for years and as a whole is one of the best pieces by Masamune Shirow. The layout is good and the whole plot from start to finish is very good. I've reread it and it still enthralls me given the layout, the artwork, and the detail that he put into the collection. Overall there are still some parts that could have been more clear but overall I don't let it detract, though I wish he'd put more story into certain parts I'm still going to give it 5 stars. Simply one of the best.
Rev. Nyarkoleptek
Jun 16, 2012 Rev. Nyarkoleptek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Appleseed as a series lacks the hard-science speculation and fringe philosophizing in Masamune's Ghost in the Shell comics, and in my opinion suffers in their absence. Without them, I don't think Appleseed is much more than a showcase for sci-fi demolition toys, and in the hand of a less-skilled designer, this series wouldn't have much to recommend it. But at least the pictures are purty.
Nicolas
Jul 06, 2012 Nicolas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Le coup du landmate pour cyborg est un peu gros, mais bon, l'un dans l'autre, ce tome est sympa : on y découvre un Briaeros moins sentencieux que dans le troisième, une Dunan à la hauteur de sa réputation de tank de ville, et des flingues encore plus gros que dans les tomes précédents (pas facile, mais possible).
Jon
Dec 16, 2015 Jon rated it it was ok
(Reviewing the whole thing.) After starting out okay, the plot got lost in the second volume and never really came back. Instead of plot, or characterization, we get characters spewing great page-spanning gouts of political pseudo-philosophy, heavy on might-makes right. It's also hard to tell the actors apart when they're all in identical powered armor.
Gabrielle
I am horribly offended by how short this entire series was. So horribly offended. I need more, dammit, especially since that ending wasn't really an ending. Nothing anyone says or does will ever convince me otherwise.

First read in : July 2015
Andre
Aug 22, 2012 Andre rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another cyberpunkesque appleseed story. Fits with the others.
Víctor Segovia
Dec 11, 2014 Víctor Segovia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
es un cuarto tomo que sí bien cierra la obra, es un tanto decepcionante, considerando todo lo que ocurrió. Pero es de lejos, una de esas obras mangas que me disfruté leer
Alex Cunningham
May 17, 2007 Alex Cunningham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cops, cop lovers
Best. Procedural. Ever.

Plus: robots, mecha, ass-kickings, jokes, babes, dudes, guns, car chases, politics, and more robots, mecha, and guns.
Adam Zawadzki
Adam Zawadzki rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2011
dennis
dennis rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2008
4l3x
4l3x rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2011
Tommi Lätti
Tommi Lätti rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2012
Miguel
Miguel rated it it was ok
Nov 02, 2013
Ian Brooks
Ian Brooks rated it did not like it
Dec 26, 2012
Kristina Chew
Kristina Chew rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2017
Jo
Jo rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2012
Rik
Rik rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2012
TohaHeavyIndustries
TohaHeavyIndustries rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2017
Mike Cuervo
Mike Cuervo rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2016
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2013
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2012
Milan
Milan rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2016
Sinigamhs
Sinigamhs rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2012
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2012
Lloyd Ash Pyne
Lloyd Ash Pyne rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2011
Tuan
Tuan rated it it was ok
Nov 16, 2016
Roy Cowing
Roy Cowing rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2013
John Spashett
John Spashett rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2013
  • Blame!, Vol. 7
  • Lazarus Churchyard: The Final Cut
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 12: Grasscutter (Usagi Yojimbo, #12)
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 09: Angel's Ascension
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Vol. 3
  • Martha Washington Goes to War
Masamune Shirow (士郎 正宗 ) is an internationally renowned manga artist. He is best known for the manga Ghost in the Shell, which has since been turned into two theatrical anime movies, two anime TV series, an anime TV movie, and several video games. Shirow is also known for creating erotic art.
Born in the Hyōgo Prefecture capital city of Kobe, he studied oil painting at Osaka University of Arts. Whi
More about Masamune Shirow...

Appleseed (6 books)
  • Appleseed, Vol. 1: The Promethean Challenge
  • Appleseed: Prometheus Unbound (Appleseed, #2)
  • Appleseed: The Scales of Prometheus (Appleseed, #3)
  • Appleseed: Databook