Start by marking “The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days: Recipes to Make Every Day Special” as Want to Read:
The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days: Recipes to Make Every Day Special

The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days: Recipes to Make Every Day Special

The Hummingbird Bakery has brought their mouth-watering yet easy-to-make cupcakes to kitchens everywhere. In this book they show readers how to bake delicious cakes and other sweet delights for those days of the year that are just meant for indulgence, as well as those times when you just deserve a little treat.
Published March 1st 2011 by Collins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days

Hello, Cupcake by Alan    RichardsonBaking by Dorie GreenspanKaffeehaus by Rick RodgersThe Pie and Pastry Bible by Rose Levy BeranbaumThe Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum
Dessert Cookbooks
193 books — 48 voters
Front Row Center's Passion in the Kitchen by Cynthia B. AinswortheMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna OthitisMom's Island Bakens by Martha Char LoveThe New Basics Cookbook by Julee RossoBest Recipes from Eastern Europe by Sahara Sanders
Cook Books
218 books — 92 voters

More lists with this book...

Prachi
Sep 11, 2013 Prachi rated it it was amazing
I am one of those people who read recipes like they're some delightful prose or poetry. And why not? They are indeed. This one was such a joy. The recipes are written so precisely, describing every little thing thou have to do to the utmost tee. If you read the recipe once or twice before starting, its almost certain you can't go wrong. I tried the cardamom loaf and it was lovely!
Vicki
Jun 29, 2012 Vicki rated it it was amazing
Love Love LOVE the tiramisu cupcakes - they're so light and fluffy - you can add or subtract as much alcohol as you want to add to the cream filling, be as coffee-ish as you like - I love coffee, but have an aversion to most "coffee flavoured" food stuffs - I LOVE THEM!!!!! I like to add Baileys on account of not having Kahlua, but hey, anything goes!

The recipes almost always work out as it says on the page, I've never had a problem with any of them. Highly recommend this and the first book Y.U.
Hannah
May 08, 2012 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
This book is presented absolutely beautifully: the cover is stunning, all of the photography is absolutely beautiful, and the layout of every recipe is simple and easy to follow.

The recipes look absolutely phenomenal, the kind of book where I want to bake everything at least once.
Annab
Nov 04, 2012 Annab rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Spent a rainy afternoon making the strawberry daiquiri cupcakes and lemon cranberry cupcakes. Delicious! Very easy to follow instructions and beautiful photos. This is my go-to book for baking.
Dash fan
Jan 12, 2017 Dash fan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All keen bakers regardless of skill level
Recommended to Dash fan by: Purchases previous books
Fantastic baking book as always.
I'm yet to try out the recipies but there are some fantastic ones inside.

Each recipie is easy to follow and each chapter has been grouped into relevant sections ie, Valentines day, Christmas, etc... which makes it easy to find something exciting and new to bake.

The back of the book gives helpful hints and tips and a stockist of where to purchase ingredients and equipment needed. Ie, coke syrup which you can easily get using soda stream syrups.

Each page is illustra
Catarina
Dec 24, 2015 Catarina rated it it was ok
Please note that this review goes for both of the Hummingbird Bakery cookbooks I own, including The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook (2009) and The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days: Recipes to Make Every Day Special (2011) as I find them incredibly similar and see no point in writing separate reviews for them.

Rating: between 1.5-2 / 5 stars.

I first bought this cookbook before I went vegan, but even back then, I didn’t actually get around to trying out many of the recipes… In my honest opinion it’s neithe
Shonaigh Mudie
Jan 08, 2013 Shonaigh Mudie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recipe-books
A beautiful and jam packed recipe book by the famous Hummingbird Cafe. It holds an array of tantalising American baked treats. As a book, it is beautiful and bright with thick pages and generous full length photographs of the completed items. The recipes are simple with easy to follow instructions. On the most part the recipes do not call for bizarre/obscure ingredients that are hard to track down (find that some cookery books are guilty of that). The hints and tips section at the end of the boo ...more
the never-ending library
‘Tis the season to be greedy’ ... so don your festive apron and have a go at baking some treats from the Hummingbird Cake Days cookbook this Christmas.

This baking bible is adorned with impossibly beautiful and mouth-watering images of various calorific delights. The chapters are conveniently divided into occasions instead of specific cakes, such as Valentine’s Day; Spring Weekend Bakes; Mother’s and Father’s Day; Birthdays and Celebrations and Rainy Day Treats to name a few. I love this – it mak
Anula
Mar 11, 2014 Anula rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Good recipes. Nice ideas of taste combinations, but I found that in each and every recipe way too much sugar! No problem with reducing it even by 50 g without compromising on the overall result :) Some recipes are just variations of the previous ones in the book, so if you were to look at the book overall - you would discover that there are maybe 4-5 main recipes only and the rest is just "variation" of them.
Hannah
Nov 17, 2012 Hannah rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking-food
I was left slightly disappointed by this cookbook. The recipes are delicious, and they are also fairly easy to follow. It's all very fashionable.

And that was my problem. There was nothing ground breaking flavour-wise. There wasn't anything that I stopped and went "Oh my, I HAVE to make these IMMEDIATELY".

If you're after a book to start you on your way to cupcake supremacy, I can only recommend this book. But if you want something a little more dramatic, I'd go it alone.
May 02, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
There are some lovely and intriguing recipe's in this book, I enjoy how to cookbook is split up into seasonal/event sections. It's all easy to follow, but the major problem I have with Hummingbird is the sheer amount of sugar they use. So beware of the sugar overload in some recipes (particularly anything with frosting).
Amelia
God knows how, but somehow I managed to leave this in the charity shop. Just as well really, because there was barely two or three recipes in the entire book that didn't sound amazing... these things are not good for the waistline! But if they taste anything like they sound, they'll be absolutely to die for.
Frankie Valente
Jul 01, 2011 Frankie Valente rated it it was amazing
I wouldn't normally pass comments on cookery books but this book is so lush! Beautiful photographs, inspirational recipes and nothing that seems too taxing for a novice cook like myself. Just off to the supermarket now to buy the ingredients for rose muffins and lemon and thyme loaf.
Julie Miles
May 13, 2014 Julie Miles rated it really liked it
I absolutely adored the recipes in this book. I did however learn to use them more as guidelines and to adjust each one accordingly. My favourite recipe was the Guinness cake, I definitely recommend giving it a go.
Emelie
Jan 16, 2016 Emelie rated it it was amazing
Absolute favourite baking book!! Recipes are easy to follow and a guaranteed success. Love the mojito cupcakes!
Trine
Feb 21, 2013 Trine rated it it was amazing
Seriously never get tired of the cakes in this one.
YUM! Everyone with the tiniest baker inside should own this.
Gem Holbrook
Sep 29, 2015 Gem Holbrook rated it really liked it
This is the best recipe book i have used to date. Unusual and indulgent recipes for many many occasions.
Eimear M
Eimear M rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2014
Z Tsoi
Z Tsoi rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Annabelle Letten
Annabelle Letten rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2013
Esther
Esther rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2013
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2012
Thyme Sage
Thyme Sage rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Katiebubbles100
Katiebubbles100 rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2012
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2014
Claire
Claire rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2012
Sarah rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Grace
Grace rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2014
Joana
Joana rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2012
Hilary Geibel
Hilary Geibel rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2015
  • The Great British Bake Off: How to Bake: The Perfect Victoria Sponge and Other Baking Secrets
  • The Vintage Tea Party Book
  • Leon: Ingredients and Recipes
  • Baking Made Easy
  • Cupcakes From The Primrose Bakery
  • "Mums Know Best": The Hairy Bikers' Family Cookbook
  • Leon: Naturally Fast Food: Book 2
  • Mary Berry's Baking Bible
  • Ladurée: Sucré
  • The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook: Old Fashioned Recipes From New York's Sweetest Bakery
  • Seasons
  • Patisserie: Mastering the Fundamentals of French Pastry
  • Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights
  • Bake
  • How to Bake
  • I Love Macarons
  • Made in Italy: Food and Stories
  • Nigella Christmas: Food, Family, Friends, Festivities
Tarek Malouf was born in London and studied at London and Los Angeles universities, where he discovered American desserts. After working for ABC News in the UK and enjoying American desserts on trips to the USA, he decided to set up The Hummingbird Bakery on Portobello Road. The Bakery's home-cooked cupcakes, pies, brownies and other high-quality American desserts were a huge success and the Baker ...more
More about Tarek Malouf...