Blank-133x176
The complete short sto...

Edgar Allan Poe

The complete short stories of Edgar Allan Poe

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  589 ratings  ·  36 reviews
The Complete Tales of Edgar Allan Poe is a collection of Poe's greatest prose works. Master of the short story form, Edgar Allan Poe composed tales of terror, horror, death, ruin, murder, and revenge. Many of the sixty-eight tales included in this collection—"The Pit and the Pendulum," "The Black Cat," "The Fall of the House of Usher," "The Masque of the Red Death," and "T...more
Published 1982

Martin Hernandez
Sin duda, la mejor edición de los cuentos completos de POE en español. La traducción de Julio CORTÁZAR es una obra maestra, aplaudida y celebrada como la mejor de todos los tiempos. Esta edición contiene además sendos prólogos de Carlos FUENTES y Mario VARGAS LLOSA , y además, cada uno de los cuentos trae una introducción escrita por reconocidos escritores de habla hispana, entre los que destacan Jorge VOLPI y Fabio MORÁBITO ... ¿que más podemos pedir? Altamente Recomendable
Michael
Sep 28, 2013 Michael marked it as read-part  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to expand my knowledge of Poe somewhat, and this volume was useful for that. I'm not going to read the whole thing right now (it's too long, and I have too many other things waiting), but I will talk a bit about the stories I did read.

I think what surprised me the most was how reminiscent Poe’s style in some of these was of Ambrose Bierce. Bierce was born just six years before Poe died, so obviously it was Poe that was influential on Bierce, and not the other way round, but I read Bierc...more
Norma Christensen
Edgar Allan Poe is certainly an interesting character and I rather enjoying reading his macabre tales. I read The Telltale Heart, which seemed to be much scarier when I was young. I had also read The Murders in the Rue Morgue when I was young, but I had always thought the Rue Morgue was a morgue and didn't realize until now it was a place. Then I read The Fall of the House of Usher, which I liked okay and finished with The Black Cat, which was absolutely horrid and very scary. Great Halloween st...more
Rivka
We're delving into the writings of Edgar Allan Poe for our October book club and I'm glad for the chance to clear the dust from this book. His writings are haunting and not thrillers and I love that!

We get to choose our own selections so I started with his poetry (not in this edition). For short stories I began with "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" and then had to follow with the other Dupin stories, "The Murder of Marie Roget" and "The Purloined Letter". Logic and mystery make a captivating rea...more
Frank
This really was absolutely wonderful. Edgar Allan Poe is one of the only 19th century authors I've read, and I guess I haven't really read a ton of them, that doesn't seem antiquated at all.

His writing stands every bit as strong as anyone else contemporary I've read, and truthfully, these stories were absolutely wonderful to read.

The way he ends them, really, is masterful.

These are some of the best stories written by an American anytime ever.

The imagery is completely wonderful and beautiful and...more
Mandy Setterfield
I have read three stories.
The Murders in the Rue Morgue: largely ignoring the preamble about analysis, I sped straight on to the descriptions of the murders. Enjoyably mysterious, with a Sherlock-like detective, Dupin, but a totally ridiculous ending!
The Mystery of Marie Roget: the most tedious of the three. Lots of potential, but I didn't find it very satisfying.
The Purloined Letter: Where is the best place to hide a letter containing an important secret? In the letter rack. Amusing tale.

Can...more
Chris
I was most struck by the variation in the type of stories. The ones that tend to get included in collections are the horror stories (also sometimes the detective stories, see below), but there were a much wider range of fantastic and absurdist stories in this collection.

While I enjoyed many of the stories, there's no getting away from the fact that many of them are fairly silly and many others have not aged well. Poe was interested in mesmerism and other quack science of the nineteenth century,...more
Lau
Feb 01, 2014 Lau rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lau by: Carina
Shelves: excelente

Los cuentos de Poe son tantos y tan diversos que creo que no les voy a poder a hacer justicia en una simple opinión. Estoy alucinada con la cantidad de historias que ha escrito, pero lo que más me sorprendió es la variedad de argumentos y la cantidad de géneros en los que se ha movido con total comodidad. Se lo conoce mundialmente como un maestro del terror, pero es necesario decir que ha escrito historias increibles de prácticamente todos los géneros existentes.

Sus casi 70 relatos abarcan temas...more
Jenifer
I read; "The Fall of the House of Usher"

"The Murders in the Rue Morgue"

"The Mystery of Marie Roget"

"The Island of the Fay"
I read this one because it was one of the ones mentioned in "Your Heart Belongs to Me". More like a dream than anything else, it didn't really speak to me. I did find this helpful;

"The Tell-Tale Heart"

"A Tale of the Ragged Mountains"

"X-ing a Paragraph"

None of these were very compelling to me. At time they were boring, at times unbeli...more
Breanna Thompson
"The Complete Tales of Edgar Allan Poe" by Edgar Allan Poe, entices its readers with it's obscure and chilling poems and tales. This novel contains every tale/poem and short story Poe has ever published. The novel is ingeniously written. Poe's writings all bare a certain unique obscurity about them. Each tale contains a note of mystery.
This novel contains all of Poe's published writings (including poetry, tales/short stories.) Thus many diverse themes are conveyed throughout. Moreover, Poe's w...more
Matthew
This collection was really hit or miss for me. Many of Poe's most famous works are fun to read, but there was little here that changed my life. I've had many friends say they found Poe when they were in their angsty teens and that he was a breath of fresh air for the, so maybe I just came to explore him too late. I can totally appreciate his influence on modern literature, but many of his stories were too simplistic. In most cases, they were little more than anecdotes.

A few of them stood out to...more
Becky
Edgar Allen Poe's writing was more varied than I thought. This collection has his 28 short stories plus the poem "The Raven".

I was pleasantly surprised by some of his humorous stories - such as "The Angel of Odd", "Some Words with a Mummy" and "The Spectacles". I also really enjoyed his Dupin stories that were predecessors of the detective genre and said to directly influence Arthur Conen Doyle's Sherlocke Holmes ("The Rue Morgue" and "The Purloined Letter").

But Poe is at his best with gothic...more
Nate
Good.....not great

not a five star because the layout takes some getting used to....although minor I consider layout of a book to be important
Cheryl
Individually, some of Poe's stories would garner higher ratings. Some of the magic of them is taken away in such a collection. Even favorites like "The Cask of Amontillado" and "The Masque of the Red Death" lose their novelty when sandwiched between other stories with such similar themes. The narrators all run together, the plots become redundant. I'd recommend exchanging this volume for a 'best of' or even just a smaller collection. Many of the stories (besides the above, "The Sphinx" and "The...more
David
Después de meses de comenzar el libro, por fin lo puedo terminar con un buen sabor literario; sin embargo, algunos cuentos son difíciles de leer y muchas veces Poe y Cortázar te dejan queriendo saber más. Sin embargo, es una excelente edición, además de muy informativa. Descubrí cuentos que no conocía y que han sido más que excelentes, de todos modos "El Gato Negro" se mantiene como el favorito.

Los Crímenes de la Calle Morgue y El Misterio de Marie Roget sin duda hacen que uno piense en el buen...more
Aly Jones
I like Edgar Allen Poe.
Jiin
Edgar Allan Poe is genius in constructing a foggy atmosphere, through which you are led to a time and a space Poe creates. In Poe's world, you are led to observe characters as normal and natural as you are and encounter uncanny bits of their lives. Around when you get out of the fog and come back to the reality, you have strange feeling that the world you used to live has gone and that you arrive at the seemingly alike but different world.
Jorge Sanz
En alg��n momento retomar�� los cuentos, s��lo me le�� el escarabajo de oro.
Ignacio Germán
Encontramos en los cuentos de Poe un desasosiego abrumador, una técnica excelente y bien sentida, un toque macabro al alcance de muy, muy pocos. Las palabras hacen virguerías en manos de este maldito genio y todos y cada uno de estos cuentos atrapan al lector y lo abstraen.
(...)
Una delicia de relatos todos ellos y lectura imprescindible para cualquiera.

José Pablo
Poe ocupa un lugar de honor en la historia de la literatura sobre todo debido a sus cuentos, en los que se revela como un avanzado a su tiempo, como un faro en el llamado romanticismo oscuro, como el padre de la novela detectivesca, un maestro de la narrativa de terror, un pionero de la ciencia ficción... y si duda uno de los creadores cuya influencia ha sido más profunda y duradera.
Caro
Este hombre era (es) un genio...
Boneist
I'm pretty sure I read some Poe when I was younger and going through my ghost stories phase - probably as part of a compilation or somesuch. I don't remember the stories being soooo wordy! Honestly, Poe never uses 1 word when he can use 10 instead - or so it felt to me!

Still, he was good at building atmosphere, I'll give him that!
Jenny
I read in, rather than through, but the edition was fairly well-produced, the introduction useful, and Poe himself turned out to be far more engaging than I originally anticipated. This book is going on my "perpetually reading" shelf—I like collections of short stories like this because you can return to them repeatedly.
All the stories are surprisingly good, but BON-BON was kind of unexpected. Pierre is a metaphysical restauranter with a thing for bargains who receives a visit from the Devil. The whole scene reminded me of the Devil in Karamazov's masterpiece, but it was considerably funnier.
Cristi
i only liked the stories with macabre,crazy,murders
favorite stories:
1.The Tell-Tale Heart
2.The Black Cat
3.The Oblong Box
4.The Pit and the Pendulum
5.The Imp of The Perverse

pretty much all the rest pointless or boring
Lauren
Ligeia
The Fall of the House of Usher
The Pit and the Pendulum
The Tell-Tale Heart
Berenice
Eleanora
C. Auguste Dupin (The Murders in the Rue Morgue; The Mystery of Marie Roget; The Purloined Letter)
etc.
Javi Fornell
Cuentos, muchos cuentos, para leer tranquilo, a ratos, disfrutando del genial Poe. Poco hay que decir de él. No necesita presentación, solo tiempo para el disfrute
Melody
I prefer the poetry of EAP to his stories, but his imagination and willingness to go where most other writers refused to go is very exciting!
Andy
Nov 29, 2009 Andy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I only read this a few pages at a time. The stories come back to me on their own. I like sitting back and thinking about them.
  • The Best of Wodehouse: An Anthology
  • The Complete Sherlock Holmes: All 4 Novels & 56 Short Stories
  • Complete Shorter Fiction (Oxford World's Classics)
  • Holy Bible: New Testament: The King James Version (Everyman's Library)
  • Three Gothic Novels : The Castle of Otranto ~ Vathek ~ Frankenstein
  • The Complete Works
  • Stories of Ray Bradbury
  • Cuentos Completos #2
  • The Complete Stories of Robert Louis Stevenson: Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Nineteen Other Tales (Modern Library Classics)
  • Auden: Poems
  • Olvidado Rey Gudú
  • Dickinson: Poems
  • The Annals/The Histories
  • Sanditon and Other Stories
  • The Complete Novels
  • Essays (Everyman's Library Classics)
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Insects and Spiders (National Audubon Society Field Guides)
  • Ghost Stories of M. R. James (Popular Classics)
The name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious women who return from the dead. His works have been in print since 1827 and include such literary classics as “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven,” and “The Fall of the House of Usher.” This versatile writer’s oeuvre includes short stories, poetry, a novel, a textbook, a book of scientific theory, and hundr...more
More about Edgar Allan Poe...
The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings The Complete Stories and Poems The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales Essential Tales and Poems The Cask of Amontillado