Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Gorn Crisis

Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Gorn Crisis

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  10 reviews
With an interstellar war raging, the U.S.S Enterprise has been assigned a sensitive diplomatic mission: to enlist aid from an alien race knows as the Gorn. But the Gorn have a crisis of their own-a brewing revolution in their ranks.
Published December 1st 2000 by DC Comics

Jean
The Gorn Crisis is a graphic novel by Kevin J. Andersen and Rebecca Moesta, with Artwork by Igor Kordey. It is the first in the Star Trek: The Next Generation series. It is action-packed with punchy dialogue, although it has to be said that the story is a bit formulaic.

The design of the Artwork is quite pleasing and colourful. The structures, such as spacecrafts and interiors are imaginatively conceived, and the placing of characters and close-ups for the narrative easy to follow.

However, I fou...more
Andrew
A good read all in all, but unfortunately it was nothing special. Simple political intrigue and battles fought in the nick of time. It did end cleverly though, with a bought of single combat to decide the war.
It was good to learn the intricacies of Gorn society and the author provides details into the thought process behind it all after the story is finished.
Now while the story itself is a little lacking in my mind, the artwork was fantastic save for a few instances where you weren't quite sure...more
Travis Mcclain
On the one hand, I've never really liked Kevin J. Anderson's writings. I won't say he ruined the Star Wars Expanded Universe singlehandedly for me, but he certainly had a major hand in it. Combine that bias with the premise--the crew of Star Trek: The Next Generation meet the Gorn--which sounds like the stuff of fan fiction, and there's really not much to lure me here.

However, I came across a softcover copy at Half Price Books for $2.00 and decided to take a chance. Igor Krodey's paintings are b...more
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
Gorn in the Next Generation!
Klingons vs. Gorn!
Enough said? Okay, okay. That's not an insightful book review, but a drooling fanboy rave. Honestly, I think this was the kind of story we didn't see enough of on the Next Gen TV series. There were so many threads, ideas, alien races that the original series was only able to do so very little with that the Next Generation seemed to want to distance itself from all too much. Sometimes a Trekkie like me felt a little (no pun intended) alienated. Luckil...more
James Wheeler
Fun to read this graphic novel. If you love classic star trek, you will enjoy seeing the Gorn again. Anderson does a nice job of building a more in depth backstory. The plot itself is prosaic but the art is well done and visually appealing.
Jenni Moody
Fun, enjoyable, and OMG GORN FEST.

Nice art, with story told more through action and panel flow than by overburdening the dialogue. Very nicely done.

Plus, Riker hanging out with Klingons, which is always a good story element. The solutions that Riker, Data, and Picard found for dealing with the Gorn weren't particularly surprising, but they didn't take away much from my overall enjoyment of the story. It was a fun, atmospheric ride.

The Gorn dossier in the back of the book is also very cool.
Joseph
A compelling tale, set (I assume) between the First Contact and Insurrection movies and during the tail end of DS9 tv run. Wonderfully illustrated by Croatian artist Igor Kordey this could very well have made for the basis of a series of Next Generation TV movies or at the very least a series of Next Graphic novels of which Wildstorm, I believe, published a mere 3 before losing the franchise to IDW. A missed opportunity. A crying shame that so little Igor's wonderful work is in print and in Engl...more
Mike McDevitt
I can't tell you why, but I didn't like the art. Probably I'm a snob for classical realism? Honestly, I don't even know. The human characters don't look like themselves, and the main Klingon guy has Stewie Griffin football-head. Complaining aside, I liked the Gorn and the writing is workmanlike. What can I say? I like Star Trek, even mindless predictable action stories.
Noah Soudrette
While I find the art in this to be barely tolerable, this story is a lot of fun. It's great to see the Gorn again, since they don;t show up often in expanded universe titles. Also, you get to see Data fight a Gorn. How cool is that!?
Melissa
Good story, nice artwork. But I'm pretty sure that Will Riker, even his wildest dreams, wasn't *that* ripped. Nice to look at, though. ;)
Daniela Vingiani
Daniela Vingiani marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Janel Kuszewski
Janel Kuszewski marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Serendippy
Serendippy marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Dave
Dave added it
Mar 09, 2014
Jd
Jd marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Tari_Roo
Tari_Roo marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Panda99
Panda99 marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Pseudonyms: Gabriel Mesta, K.J. Anderson

He has written spin-off novels for Star Wars, StarCraft, Titan A.E., and The X-Files, and is the co-author of the Dune prequels. His original works include the Saga of Seven Suns series and the Nebula Award-nominated Assemblers of Infinity. He has also written several comic books including the Dark Horse Star Wars collection Tales of the Jedi written in coll...more
More about Kevin J. Anderson...
Jedi Search (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #1) Dark Apprentice (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #2) Champions of the Force (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #3) Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5) Darksaber (Star Wars)