Assemblers of Infinity

Assemblers of Infinity

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Nebula Award Nominee. The crew of Moonbase Columbus make an amazing discovery on the far side of the Moon a massive alien structure is erecting itself, built up atom by atom by living machines, microscopically small, intelligent, and unstoppable, consuming everything they touch. The mysterious structure begins to expand and take shape, and its creators begin to multiply.

Is...more
Published January 1st 1993 by Bantam / Spectra

Andy Coleman
The idea behind the story was a fun one and it was enjoyable to watch it unfold. At times it became a bit predictable, but I would blame this on the countless hours I've spent watching sci-fi, rather than on the authors' delivery. The one issue that should have been worked out in editing, though, was how the text jumped from one time to another or one location to another without any transitional phrasing to let the reader know. Often it wasn't until a few sentences in that I would realize that w...more
David
Feb 01, 2011 David added it
Shelves: science-fiction
Assemblers of Infinity has the underlying premise of space exploration / colonization by sending out nano-assemblers at near-light speed throughout space. There's a great deal that could be done with that concept. However, in this book, we have alien nanos building a structure on the Moon and humans trying to figure out what it is and whether it's a threat. You can figure out most of the story from that.

As far as writing technique, the book is good. But as far as SF meat you can sink your teeth...more
Creature
This book was really good. The idea of something happening on the moon and the technology used to make it happen were very "Avante Guard." the story moved along at a really good pace, keeping the reader satisfied until the next major event unfolded.
This is a very good Science fiction story that smoothly moves towards it's climax without confusing the reader. Avery good book which will not disappoint.

Have a Great Day!!!
John (aka, the "Creature")
Kevin
My recollection of this book is quite dim, admittedly, and dim recollections have ill served me before, as in my failure to attest to the awesomeness of "Startide Rising". Here I will just presume this lack of recall is because Kevin J Anderson's trademarked blandness, and move on with my life without giving "Assemblers of Infinity a backwards glance.
Diane
Great idea, sloppily delivered. I had to start the beginning of the book several times before feeling I had a grasp of what was going on. Unfortunately that continued. I never grasped the terminology. I couldn't picture the alien structure or the moon base stations. and then it was all summed up in a further sloppy epilogue.
Tommy Carlson
Serviceable SF. It's not great, but it's entertaining enough. The authors have a really bad habit of changing scene without any notification to the reader, so there are plenty of places where I was momentarily confused. The ending isn't much of a conclusion, serving really more to try and draw you into future books.
Joe
A great book! Interesting dissection of the potentials of nanotechnology - even more prescient since it was written over 20 years ago.
Richard Lessard

Really enjoyed this book, perhaps that nano technology interests me. Also needed a break from UF genre. Nice Sci-Fi but makes space flight and low gravity living seem like it was easily mastered. Story moves nicely and not overloaded with technical detail.
Petr Kalis
I really liked the book from the beginning, characters were ok, plot nice, but in the end it happened too fast to my taste, so I was little bit dissapointed. But will try another books from this author.
Tom Spetter
The book was good. There was enough character interplay and tech in it to make it interesting. I liked the general direction the plot took, but it seemed a bit rushed at the end.
Donna Slater
An excellent book for anyone interested in nanotech and science fiction. The first book I've read by Kevin Anderson. I'll certainly be reading others.
Evan
Classic sci-fi alien invasion with an inventive twist using nano-technology. Not a bad read, just something to pass the time, turn the brain off, etc.
Tom
I love science fiction. The clever of the author's imagination always intrigues. This book did not disappoint on that account.
Kerri-ann
Mar 31, 2013 Kerri-ann marked it as to-read
Nebula.1993.Nominee
Kirsty Caddy
Kirsty Caddy marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Warreni
Warreni marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Amelia
Amelia marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Joao Aroucha
Joao Aroucha marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Manuel Grünenfelder
Manuel Grünenfelder marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Sandra Wheeler
Sandra Wheeler marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Ilya
Ilya marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Nigel
Nigel added it
Jul 04, 2014
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Sara Christensen-Lee
Sara Christensen-Lee is currently reading it
Jul 02, 2014
Jonas Eckerman
Jonas Eckerman marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Alexey
Alexey marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Pseudonyms: Gabriel Mesta, K.J. Anderson

He has written spin-off novels for Star Wars, StarCraft, Titan A.E., and The X-Files, and is the co-author of the Dune prequels. His original works include the Saga of Seven Suns series and the Nebula Award-nominated Assemblers of Infinity. He has also written several comic books including the Dark Horse Star Wars collection Tales of the Jedi written in coll...more
More about Kevin J. Anderson...
Jedi Search (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy #1) Champions of the Force (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #3) Dark Apprentice (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #2) Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5) Darksaber (Star Wars)