Start by marking “Assemblers of Infinity” as Want to Read:
Assemblers of Infinity

Assemblers of Infinity

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  304 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Nebula Award Nominee. The crew of Moonbase Columbus make an amazing discovery on the far side of the Moon a massive alien structure is erecting itself, built up atom by atom by living machines, microscopically small, intelligent, and unstoppable, consuming everything they touch. The mysterious structure begins to expand and take shape, and its creators begin to multiply.

Is
Published January 1st 1993 by Bantam / Spectra

To ask other readers questions about Assemblers of Infinity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Assemblers of Infinity

The Dark Lady by Mike ResnickThe Saga of Seven Suns by Kevin J. AndersonDrumbeats by Kevin J. AndersonWorking Stiff by Kevin J. AndersonAssemblers of Infinity by Kevin J. Anderson
Humble Sci-Fi Book Bundle 2
5th out of 17 books — 4 voters
Assemblers of Infinity by Kevin J. AndersonThe Godmakers by Frank HerbertLights in the Deep by Brad R. TorgersenThe Golden Queen by Dave WolvertonBone Shop by T.A. Pratt
Fiction Bundle - Chapter 1
1st out of 5 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

TwitchyRedPen
Apr 20, 2016 TwitchyRedPen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, ebook
Could certainly be better. Parts of it seemed very long. Some parts were page-turners while holding it, but if I put it down, I didn't feel an urgency to pick it back up. It didn't become can't-put-it-down interesting until the end.

Perspective moves between different locations on Earth, on moon, or in space. I feel the whole Antarctic storyline could have been written out -- What does it provide other than more pages and another half a dozen characters? Someone for Erika to talk to, who could ha
David
Feb 01, 2011 David added it
Shelves: science-fiction
Assemblers of Infinity has the underlying premise of space exploration / colonization by sending out nano-assemblers at near-light speed throughout space. There's a great deal that could be done with that concept. However, in this book, we have alien nanos building a structure on the Moon and humans trying to figure out what it is and whether it's a threat. You can figure out most of the story from that.

As far as writing technique, the book is good. But as far as SF meat you can sink your teeth
James Taylor
Mar 25, 2016 James Taylor rated it liked it
In Assemblers of Infinity, astronauts on the moon find an alien construct. They discover this has been assembled by nanomachines, but for what purpose?

The story constantly switches between a few groups of people. Trainee astronauts and nanotetchnology researchers based in the Antarctic, the astronauts on the moon, the United Space Agency in Washington. There are other characters frequently mentioned but not visited throughout the book. The amount of characters can be quite hard to keep track of,
Eero
Aug 06, 2014 Eero rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, story-bundle
Another StoryBundle book.

This was an Analog serial in 1992; I remember seeing the cover in the magazine rack of the local bookstore at the time, but I was not really reading Analog then. Nanotechnology had already gained exposure in the magazine in the previous decade through Stanley Schmidt's editorials; and consider also that Greg Bear's Blood Music was published in the same magazine almost ten years earlier.

The writing style is rather workmanlike. This is a plot and idea book rather than a ch
David Willson
Jul 29, 2014 David Willson rated it liked it
Though Anderson and Beason's vision of nanotechnology is not nearly as imaginative as David Marusek's in his Counting Heads series, this is still a good near-future yarn that moves right along. The characters are convincing for the most part and there were only a few spots where I felt a plot mechanism was thrown in just to get from point A to B without being convincing enough. Also, the plot pretty much telegraphed the ending well in advance, so that really there was no surprise. The whole thin ...more
Stephanie
Dec 24, 2014 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This is a well-written story solidly based in the science known at the time and even now for that matter. It moves along at a great pace, has well-developed characters and just the right amount of suspense to keep the pages turning. The actions of the characters are very believable and you find yourself saying "I would do that" often just as you realize the consequences of those actions.

The scope of the book is huge and the portrayal and speculation of the aliens is very plausible and interestin
Andy Coleman
Mar 11, 2014 Andy Coleman rated it liked it
The idea behind the story was a fun one and it was enjoyable to watch it unfold. At times it became a bit predictable, but I would blame this on the countless hours I've spent watching sci-fi, rather than on the authors' delivery. The one issue that should have been worked out in editing, though, was how the text jumped from one time to another or one location to another without any transitional phrasing to let the reader know. Often it wasn't until a few sentences in that I would realize that w ...more
Kynan
Nov 19, 2014 Kynan rated it it was ok
This book ponders some of the interesting new solutions and problems that nanotechnology may bring us. There's a kernel of a good escapist (as opposed to hard sci-fi) story here, starting with the get-you-hooked first chapter from the Moon Base perspective and then branching into three different locales (two Earth-based and the moon) with a few different characters that are iterated through for the rest of the story. There are a couple of sub-stories that are wound in with the overall plot that ...more
Tyler Hill
Feb 02, 2016 Tyler Hill rated it really liked it
This book was great in the first half, but I have to say that the second half didn't keep the pace up from the first. I felt like the book should have ended about 100 pages before it did; the final stretch felt like there were obstacles made up just to make the book longer instead of naturally progressing from the story. That being said, I was pretty riveted for most of the book. Character development started out pretty on the nose (having a character named 'Can't wait', or repeating characteris ...more
Nick
Sep 21, 2014 Nick rated it really liked it
I liked these book. It hits most of the bases that I look for in a good Sci-Fi book. Good plot, suspense, character development and interaction. I wasn't particularly fond of the ending, and that's why I didn't give it 5 stars. It was a valid ending in its own right, but really was an ending for a book that was going to continue into a series. As a standalone novel, I don't feel like it was wrapped up nicely.
Mark
Nov 03, 2014 Mark rated it liked it
An intriguing story that continues to get more and more interesting as the mystery of the alien construction on the moon unfolds.

It was an enjoyable read with interesting characters, but it did feel as if the novel suddenly stopped out of nowhere.

I quite enjoyed the Anderson/Beason novel ILL WIND, and am looking forward to reading more of their collaborative novels.
Charl
Oct 09, 2014 Charl rated it liked it
Shelves: y2014
Interesting story, but Mr. Anderson keeps messing up the real world science in little ways that keep interfering with my enjoyment of his stories.

The story was worth reading, but if you're a hard sci-fi fan, you'll grind your teeth in a couple of places.
Barton
Oct 01, 2014 Barton rated it liked it
I enjoyed it. Interesting tale of nanotechnology. It was a StoryBundle ebook, so I definitely got my money's worth. Bland somehow, but it kept me interested.
Tymothy
Although enjoyable over-all, some of the characters were a little difficult to relate to and didn't really change over time.
Brian Kelly
Nov 09, 2014 Brian Kelly rated it really liked it
Interesting book about the dangers of nanotech.
Eivind
Jul 13, 2015 Eivind rated it liked it
Both ends are fairly decent, but the middle is nonsense soup.
Matevž
Sep 17, 2014 Matevž rated it really liked it
Decent high-tech science fiction. Not too far fetched. Nice pace.
Creature
Mar 17, 2010 Creature rated it it was amazing
This book was really good. The idea of something happening on the moon and the technology used to make it happen were very "Avante Guard." the story moved along at a really good pace, keeping the reader satisfied until the next major event unfolded.
This is a very good Science fiction story that smoothly moves towards it's climax without confusing the reader. Avery good book which will not disappoint.

Have a Great Day!!!
John (aka, the "Creature")
Kevin
Jul 31, 2009 Kevin rated it did not like it
My recollection of this book is quite dim, admittedly, and dim recollections have ill served me before, as in my failure to attest to the awesomeness of "Startide Rising". Here I will just presume this lack of recall is because Kevin J Anderson's trademarked blandness, and move on with my life without giving "Assemblers of Infinity a backwards glance.
Diane
Apr 24, 2013 Diane rated it it was ok
Great idea, sloppily delivered. I had to start the beginning of the book several times before feeling I had a grasp of what was going on. Unfortunately that continued. I never grasped the terminology. I couldn't picture the alien structure or the moon base stations. and then it was all summed up in a further sloppy epilogue.
Tommy Carlson
Jun 06, 2014 Tommy Carlson rated it liked it
Serviceable SF. It's not great, but it's entertaining enough. The authors have a really bad habit of changing scene without any notification to the reader, so there are plenty of places where I was momentarily confused. The ending isn't much of a conclusion, serving really more to try and draw you into future books.
Joe
Dec 31, 2013 Joe rated it it was amazing
A great book! Interesting dissection of the potentials of nanotechnology - even more prescient since it was written over 20 years ago.
Richard Lessard
Aug 08, 2012 Richard Lessard rated it really liked it

Really enjoyed this book, perhaps that nano technology interests me. Also needed a break from UF genre. Nice Sci-Fi but makes space flight and low gravity living seem like it was easily mastered. Story moves nicely and not overloaded with technical detail.
Petr Kalis
Dec 12, 2010 Petr Kalis rated it it was ok
I really liked the book from the beginning, characters were ok, plot nice, but in the end it happened too fast to my taste, so I was little bit dissapointed. But will try another books from this author.
Tom Spetter
May 05, 2013 Tom Spetter rated it liked it
The book was good. There was enough character interplay and tech in it to make it interesting. I liked the general direction the plot took, but it seemed a bit rushed at the end.
Donna Slater
Sep 30, 2012 Donna Slater rated it it was amazing
An excellent book for anyone interested in nanotech and science fiction. The first book I've read by Kevin Anderson. I'll certainly be reading others.
Evan
Jun 17, 2009 Evan rated it it was ok
Classic sci-fi alien invasion with an inventive twist using nano-technology. Not a bad read, just something to pass the time, turn the brain off, etc.
Tom
Jul 27, 2012 Tom rated it really liked it
I love science fiction. The clever of the author's imagination always intrigues. This book did not disappoint on that account.
Kerri-ann
Mar 31, 2013 Kerri-ann marked it as to-read
Nebula.1993.Nominee
Melissa
Melissa is currently reading it
Apr 29, 2016
What's The Name o...: SOLVED - Alien nanotechnology lands on moon? [s] 5 23 Oct 05, 2014 06:07PM
  • Second Paradigm
  • The Byworlder
  • Temporary Agency (Unquenchable Fire, #2)
  • Picoverse
  • A Million Open Doors (Giraut #1)
  • Half Past Human
  • Frontera
  • Against Infinity
  • Redshift Rendezvous
  • Celestis
  • Fourth Mansions
  • To Crush the Moon (The Queendom of Sol #4)
  • Mars Crossing
  • Eternity's End (Star Rigger, #5)
  • The Void Captain's Tale
  • The Road to Corlay
  • Mission Child
  • Crescent City Rhapsody (Nanotech, #3)
Pseudonyms: Gabriel Mesta, K.J. Anderson

He has written spin-off novels for Star Wars, StarCraft, Titan A.E., and The X-Files, and is the co-author of the Dune prequels. His original works include the Saga of Seven Suns series and the Nebula Award-nominated Assemblers of Infinity. He has also written several comic books including the Dark Horse Star Wars collection Tales of the Jedi written in coll
More about Kevin J. Anderson...