Start by marking “Emerald Sea (The Council Wars, #2)” as Want to Read:
Emerald Sea (The Council Wars, #2)

Emerald Sea (The Council Wars #2)

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  2,561 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
The battle against those determined to rule the world-or destroy it-continues in the sequel to There Will be Dragons. Science fiction adventure by the author of the New York Times best sellers When the Devil Dances and Hell's Faire.

Published December 1st 2005 by Baen (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Emerald Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emerald Sea

Morgan Engel
Jul 09, 2007 Morgan Engel rated it really liked it
It's books like this that make me want to go back and set all of my other ratings to 4 stars because this one blew them away. Try to stop reading it... I dare you.
Briana
Nov 07, 2008 Briana rated it it was amazing
The second one is as good as the first. But this time there are dragon-carriers!!! Add to that the wonderful characters of the first book, mermen, dolphins, orca, and bad guys. What a wonderful series.
Jess
Sep 23, 2013 Jess rated it did not like it
UGH. UGH.

This shit is tripe. Utter tripe. Let me draw your focus to a character in the story that is introduced at the beginning thusly:

"Excuse me, Mr. Herrick," a soft voice said from over his shoulder.
He looked around and was faced by a tiny tuft of pubic hair. Looking farther up he was stunned by the vision. If the girl standing over him wasn't absolutely perfect in every way she could see it on a clear day. Brunette, about a meter and a half, perfectly rounded breasts, high and incredibly fi
Eric
Oct 18, 2010 Eric rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, ebooks
The sequel to There Will be Dragons was an enormous let down on a variety of fronts.

The most obvious and constant is Herzer's extreme Mary Sue-ness. I have never much liked the Milkmaid of Destiny sub-set of stories, and Herzer has that going on in spades. Never lived underwater? Don't worry, you can still fight better than everyone else. Never ridden a dragon? No problem, you can learn what takes months for anyone else in a couple of weeks - on a rolling ship.

Ringo's heavy dependence upon rape
Tom
Dec 15, 2007 Tom rated it really liked it
Great cross between miliary science fiction and fantasy (although fantasy aspects are based on technology, not magic). Check out the AI in the form of a bunny whose programming includes tracking down the cast of an ancient TV show caled aywatch and killing all telemarketers.

Part of a series, read "There Will Be ragons" first.
Ron
Mar 13, 2009 Ron rated it really liked it
Shelves: milfic
This continues the fantasy post apocalyptic story from There Will Be Dragons. In the previous novel combat was focused on Roman legion style land warefare.

Now we move to sea.

With a Dragon carrier and mermen.

Still interesting characters in interesting situations.
Courtney
May 01, 2009 Courtney rated it really liked it
Just as good as the first book. The characters from the first book continue to grow, new characters are introduced, and the fallen world starts to really get back on its feet.
John
Oct 29, 2014 John rated it did not like it
This is what happens when authors can do whatever they want without any editors.
Douglas B. Hull
Dec 24, 2016 Douglas B. Hull rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third version of this series

The first collection was lost to a hurricane, second to a stolen nook. Now slowly rebuilding my collection as I can afford to. I have enjoyed three series Ghost, council wars, Wands series. Along with the looking glass series with Travis S. Taylor. When you repurchase a book at least in my case you have to really enjoy the author. John Ringo, Mereedes Lackey ( Valdemar series) , David Weber's (Sword Oath) Edgar Rice Burrerous (Tarzan and Mars series) and D
Erin Penn
I found the second book in the Council War series by John Ringo better than the first. The first book I nearly quit a dozen times in the first six chapters because of boredom; once society's Fall occurred, things got interesting. Set completely after the Fall, book two, Emerald Seas, never slowed down.

Mr. Ringo continues to expand the world after the Fall, introducing both sky and sea powers for military action in the Council Wars. We learn about the Dragons promised by the first book title "The
Allisyn
Mar 22, 2010 Allisyn rated it liked it
This is the sequel to There Will Be Dragons which I absolutely loved. I felt like there was some loss of character development and stagnation in the characters but in the end it didn't really detract too much from my enjoyment of the book. I was a bit more miffed by his treatment of formerly strong female characters, especially Daneh and Rachel, who were given tasks that took place far from the action in a side plot line that kind of trickled into oblivion. Also a thorn in my side was the severa ...more
Jim
Mar 02, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it
Product Description

The fast-paced sequel to There Will be Dragons is a rollicking adventure above and below the high seas with dragons, orcas, beautiful mermaids-and the irrepressible Bast the Wood Elf, a cross between Legolas and Mae West. Duke Edmund Talbot has been assigned a simple mission: Go to the Southern Isles and make contact with the scattered mer-folk-those who, before the worldwide collapse of technology, had altered their bodies in the shape of mythical sea-dwelling creatures. He

Doc
Dec 02, 2009 Doc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, military, series
Book 2 of the Council War series continues the adventures of Duke Edmund, the warrior Herzer, et al.

At the beginning of the series, humankind had reached a state of perfect comfort. Mother, the omnipresent and omnipotent computer, provided for every need and whim, including people who wanted to change their physical forms into everything from killer whales to dragons and elves. Paul, a member of the ruling council, became convinced that humankind was atrophying. He tried to confine access to Mot
Scander
Aug 21, 2015 Scander rated it it was ok
In this continuation of the Council Wars series, things really start to go south. To Sea World apparently.

What started out as a good series, starts to get ruined due to the authors infatuation with mermaids, dolphins and Orcas. Also, the reader is bogged down with excessive military drudgery. WHile this is the author's strong suit, he over-seasons the soup with this unnecessarily.

Dragon-Carriers? Cool. Swiss-Army appendage? Cool. Mermaids and mer-babies? Not cool.

Also, one of the main character
David
Feb 18, 2012 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Like the first book in the series, this book is essentially a fantasy genre story with just a touch of science-fiction taking the place of the magic that is normally found in fantasy novels. The story was an enjoyable fantasy journey with likeable characters, but it was fairly standard fare. What is different about this world is the incorporation of science-fiction elements. I though that this was ingenious. However, I have switched the book to my fantasy bookshelf rather than its original home ...more
Samuel Jones
Mar 31, 2015 Samuel Jones rated it really liked it
This is a fun sequel There Will Be Dragons.

Ringo's sense of whimsy is given more reign. We're treated to horny mermaids and a girl stuck as a unicorn because she'd Changed for a party the night of The Fall.

The book also features an hilarious (and weirdly effective) homage to the obscure web-comic character Bun-Bun, apparently a rogue AI construct loose in the post-Fall world.

Much of the story focuses on Ringo's expert field of military logistics, in this case the operational concerns of a "Drago
Andreas
Sep 23, 2011 Andreas rated it it was ok
The sequel to There Will be Dragons has a big disconnect from the earlier novel, as the setting changes and the storyline moves forward a few years between the books. It seems Mr Ringo had an idea about underwater action and aircraft (ahem, dragon) carriers and went with it. It’s all good fun for a fast read, but hardly what I would call profound. If you like the other Ringo novels, you’ll probably enjoy this one. Dark humor, cool action scenes and likeable characters.

The short story at the end,
Bryce
Jan 02, 2011 Bryce rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
OK...this was kind of weird. On the one hand, it was easy to rip through the book, and I was at least somewhat interested in the plot. The plot, however, felt less engaging than There Will Be Dragons, perhaps because the scope is narrower, just a mission within the Council Wars, and not so much, the world has collapsed what do we do now. Also, Ringo's habit of making his characters (usually Edmund) expound on some topic (usually military history trivia) for a few sentences started to wear on me. ...more
Richard Gibbs
Aug 02, 2013 Richard Gibbs rated it liked it
Easy enough to read but less an integral part to a complex story and more an idea that the author wanted to run with. There's one ill advised attempt at commentary on climate change in the modern era, but ringo's conservative/libertarian leanings are pretty obvious from the get go and he's not as irritating as Terry Goodkind. Still, I like the universe in the series so we'll see how this goes, though I won't be rushing to the next book in the sequence.
Cupcakencorset
Oct 05, 2010 Cupcakencorset rated it really liked it
A good sequel to “There Will Be Dragons,” this second book takes us out of land battles in the US northeast and into marine/air battles near the Bahamas. It was a fun read, if not a quick one, and I can’t wait to what the third book in this world will be like. Judging by the “we won the battle, but the war is still ongoing” scope and ending of the book, there may be several more. And I want to read them all.
Ruby Hollyberry
Better than the first book, but nowhere near good. Author puts too much of his own personal problems and quite lamentable political opinions into it. Some good ideas, but terrible writing and terrible plotting. I haven't had such a feeling that the author is a loathsome lout since I quit reading Piers Anthony novels.
Barbara Ghylin
I had to stop reading this one for a few days. A book I had resevered at my local library came.
I really enjoyed this one. Talking orcas that are bad guys, mer-people that are doing everything they can to survive with a massive secret. Then there is the dragon and the krackon. What a battle! I may have to see about getting the next one.
Heidi
Apr 01, 2011 Heidi rated it liked it
"This series is an imaginative page-turner marred by some not-even-thinly-veiled politics and a weirdly adolescent take on sex. Nevertheless, Ringo has a great grasp on military techniques, culture, and history that makes me forgive him. I still think men would probably enjoy this more than I did, since they wouldn't have to keep overlooking his, I have to say, offensiveness."
Riko Stan
Jul 28, 2015 Riko Stan rated it it was ok
So much to like and so much to hate in this one. The overall story was engaging and most of the characters enjoyable, but so much of the story is just extraneous. The global warming denial part comes to mind.
Nix Gerit
Oct 02, 2013 Nix Gerit rated it liked it
This book was like the previous one. It had great militaristic passages and great ideas. It was quite intriguing, though I had some problems with the author's writing style which just doesn't seem to suit me. I appreciate the creativity and originality of this author.
Lisa
May 26, 2008 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
The part where they cleverly recreate an aircraft carrier was a little much and it slowed the plot down some. Reading the afterward, I can easily see that the author was really in love with that section. (Slay your darlings, anyone?) Anyway, still a quick read and pretty enjoyable.
Ashtray
Jul 09, 2013 Ashtray rated it it was ok
This book lost all of its thrill when the entire plot was dominated by the logistics involved in embarking on a sea campaign. Page after page of mindnumbing details. I'm sure there's some folks out there who are super in to engineering and pointless detail but it's not for me.
Katharina
May 24, 2013 Katharina rated it it was ok
Shelves: sifi
like the first, an interesting story but neither logical nor realistic. And I dont mean the fantasy-part but the "lets (re)build a countrywide society from scratch and lets have done it in 2 years"- part
Vomithatsteve
Apr 06, 2009 Vomithatsteve rated it it was ok
This was a decent book. I enjoyed reading it, but I probably won't bother picking up the next one. It's interesting enough, but the same basic topics have already been covered in other books that I enjoyed more.
Kjirstin
Nov 04, 2013 Kjirstin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much fun! I enjoyed a sci-fi rendition of how you'd genengineer dragons and merfolk and the like... and the plot particulars (and action sequences) were very interesting -- your attention is kept throughout. Good reading!
  • The Tyrant (The General, #8)
  • Conqueror (The General, #3-5)
  • The Excalibur Alternative (Earth Legions, #3)
  • The Forlorn
  • Planetfall
  • Caliphate
  • Warp Speed (Warp Speed #1)
  • Pandora's Legions
  • The Creatures of Man
  • The Hub: Dangerous Territory (The Hub)
John Ringo is a prolific author who has written in a wide variety of genres. His early life included a great deal of travel. He visited 23 foreign countries, and attended fourteen different schools. After graduation Ringo enlisted in the US military for four years, after which he studied marine biology.

In 1999 he wrote and published his first novel "A Hymn Before Battle", which proved successful.
More about John Ringo...

The Council Wars (4 books)
  • There Will Be Dragons (The Council Wars, #1)
  • Against the Tide (The Council Wars, #3)
  • East of the Sun, West of the Moon (The Council Wars, #4)