Start by marking “Bad Kitty (Bad Kitty, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bad Kitty (Bad Kitty, #1)

Bad Kitty (Bad Kitty #1)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  3,688 ratings  ·  338 reviews
Meet Jasmine 1, forensic supersleuth and unwitting victim of a naughty feline.

Her book is:

36% Las Vegas Mystery
49% Unstoppable Crush 2
15% Fashion Emergency
100% The Cat's Fault 3

1 That's me! Hi.
2 Is that all you're going to say about Jack? Aren't you going to mention him? I mean, other than as a crush? If I were reading this, that's what I would want to know about. I'm just
Published June 1st 2006 by Puffin Books (first published January 24th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Bad Kitty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Kitty

Emma (Miss Print)

The phrase laugh out loud isn’t used that often now that “lol” has flooded the Internet in a big way. Personally, I think that’s a loss. It’s also a subject for a different kind of post though. My point here is that people don’t often talk about things that really make them laugh out loud–literally laughing, out loud. “Bad Kitty” is a novel that had me laughing for most of it. It also has the distinction of having zero one star reviews on amazon.com. And, to make it even cooler, “Bad Kitty” is a
Sara Grochowski
I've read quite a few of Michele Jaffe's books for adults (The Stargazer, etc), but this is the first of her books for younger adults that I'd read. I wasn't sure that I wanted to read it - in fact, it came out a few years ago and I always passed by it, but I TOTALLY regret that now. Because this book is totally, totally HILARIOUS! For real - I absolutely loved it.
I like books that have a mystery element - especially one that doesn't have really obvious solution right from the beginning (becaus
Denise
Aug 14, 2008 Denise rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any S.A.S.S. or Rennison fan
I barely got through this one. At first I thought it was very cute, even looking past the unrealistic elements (being able to go to late night parties unchaperoned in Vegas, complete cluelessness by most characters, etc.). But then the "cuteness" got old fast because it was just so overdone. And all of that secondary conversation happening at the bottom on almost every page - sheesh!!! The only thing that stopped me from just putting it down was I wanted to know who dunnit. But I do realize that ...more
Lucy
I really liked this book. It's about a girl named Jasmine that likes to pretend to solve crimes. While she is at a family vacation she gets her self in to a real crime. Her friends come to help her solve the crime. This book is good for someone that likes a teen/mystery-adventure.
As with most books I read, a friend recommended reading Bad Kitty. Contemporary YA isn't really my thing given my usual choice of anything paranormal, but she talked up how incredibly funny Bad Kitty was. She went so far as to post the first haiku, and I nearly snorted out my drink. So, I basically ran to the library to get the book.

I didn't stop laughing through the entire book! My husband would roll over in bed wondering what exactly was so funny, and I'd read him snippets. He'd look at me lik
Watermelon Daisy

Bad Kitty is one of those books where I understand why certain people might like it.

But I disliked it. It was far too girly, and though it had laughable moments, it fell short to the cheesiness. I guess there’s a limit to chick-lit-girliness for me, and I’m sure others with a more affectionate taste would love this book. Really, it’s just the life of a girl who happens to be in the right place at the right time and finds herself involved in all sorts of drama and mystery.

There’s the usual aspect
Lindsey Leavitt
This is still one of my all time favorite YA books. Laughed laughed laughed. And Vegas setting. Full of win.
Ayla
May 23, 2010 Ayla rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any teenaged girl who wants a funny book with a gripping plot.
Recommended to Ayla by: my sister
From the cover, you'd think this book was a book for five year olds who dress in all pink every day and are only reading because their mommies say it will make them smarter. That assumption is wrong, although the cover is very unfitting for the book. And so is the title, come to think of it. A cat is only mentioned once in the whole book, and that is at the very beginning. The book is really about a girl named Jas, who thinks she has no talent. She has three friends that are hilarious and each h ...more
Jacob Proffitt
Apr 09, 2012 Jacob Proffitt rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a fun read and light adventure.
What a great read! Bad Kitty is witty and fun right from the beginning and doesn't let up until the very end. Jasmine is a great heroine and her friends are excellent compliments to her need to discover.

Bad Kitty is often laugh-out-loud funny with the occasional tender moment. My favorite part has to be the footnotes that break the fourth wall (as well as develop some of the central characters better).

The only sour note, for me, is Jasmine's dad. Any kid who has maintained a passion for over a d
Melanie
So I plowed through this, staying up late for just one more chapter... I LOVED this book! So much fun, so funny, great characters and Jas was hilarious with her life lessons and superpowers. The out of book asides got annoying after a while, but not enough to deter from how absolutely delightful the rest of the book was. I can't wait to read the next one - and a few adult books by this author. Seriously good stuff, if you like YA or funny chick lit/mysteries, this one is a must-read.
Almeta
I've read some "Young Adult" literature and wondered what earned them that classification. They seemed to be "Old Adult" literature to me!

This book would definitely be most enjoyed by the younger set. I felt as if I was getting in touch with my "inner Valley Girl", although I don't ever remember being "boy crazy". At least not to the point of wanting to undress them; that came much later in life for me! (Yet memory and old age dementia are related.)

Anyway, the mystery is convoluted enough that I
Kell
*REVIEWED FOR PUBLISHER*

If you’re looking for fun, fashion and super-sleuthing, then look no further than Michele Jaffe’s heroine, Jas Calihan! Jas attracts trouble like moths to a flame, so when she tries to enjoy a family holiday in Las Vegas, it’s no surprise to her friends that she ends up embroiled in a mysterious plot involving kidnapping, murder and incredibly good-looking guy who’s totally Visa (read the book – you’ll know what I mean!).

This is the first in what promises to be a witty an
Blogger Girl
Very funny and worth your time
Lucky said Meow =^_^=
WTF....I don't know what I said about this book. But, one things that I really don't like it and it was really annoying me. Ya know that this book have top of number next to the word in the sentence. Where the numbers have leave explain more information on bottom of page. So I have to stop in the middle of sentence to read the damn little conversation about Jas and her friends in the bottom. COMEON! I mean, they could have conversation in anywhere in paragraph!! Because sometimes, I lost my plac ...more
Lexi
"Bad Kitty" is very hysterical and cleverly written.This book is a page turner and cracked into my top ten favourite books. KUDOS MICHELE JAFFE!!! :)
Rachel
This book was pure, lighthearted fun. Aside from Jasmine's distinctive, quirky voice and the footnote commentary, there are silly scenes dealing with underwear, crushes, and pretending to be celebrities. It is part teen romance, part mystery thriller. I laughed out loud at the sheer silliness of certain situations, just along for the ride. It was crazy, yet predictable. I had everything figured out before the end, excepting the identity of Alex (that's my superpower).

This is not to say that the
Audrey
This book was SO funny. I laughed over and over again while reading it. I loved all the characters and I was so happy when Tom and Polly got together! That was a spoiler, so oops! But it's pretty obvious. Anyway. have fun reading it. It's a pretty short and fluffy read.
Shayla Parker
SO overall I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Super easy read.

There are 3 main things I would change about this book:
1.) The cover of the copy I checked out of the library has this AWFUL cover with "Bad Kitty" in big cheetah print words. Ugh, it is seriously a monstrosity and I refused to read this around even my family members. Thankfully it seems that this isn't the main cover version on this book.

2.) The title! The cat in this book has like nothing to do with the story???? He's the catalyst for
CeJayCe
This book currently stands as #1 on my All-Time Favorites list. Comedy, mystery, romance, murder, intrigue, AND great fashion. What more could any one book offer?
Bree
Hilarious. Brilliantly far-fetched. Be prepared to look like a freak if you read this book in public because you'll be laughing out loud.
Andrew Green
It was good, I loved the end however I did prodict it. but I guess I do read alot of these types of books.
Mimi Valentine
This book was pure FUN! I loved it, and those footnotes always had me laughing out loud! :) <3
Andie Z
Reviewed for TeensReadToo

BAD KITTY is the story of Jasmine Callihan, amateur super sleuth and trouble magnet extraordinaire. While on vacation with her family in Las Vegas, all she wants to do is lounge around by the pool, check out the cute guy she saw at the snack hut, and, most of all, be a Model Daughter and prove to her dad that she can stay out of trouble. This lasts for all of about five minutes, until a little boy and his three-legged cat entangle her, "literally," in a murder mystery.

Ad
Stephanie
Probably one of the most funniest book I have ever read. I loved the side conversations between Jas and her pals and the characters.

The side conversations were absolutely hilarious. I loved how random it was and how obnoxiously funny Jas and her friends were. They teased at each other but despite their teasings, it was obvious that each and every one of them cared about each other deeply. Their loyalty were never tested because it's genuine. Roxy, Polly and Tom's need to protect Jas and aid her
Lydia
This book is like Nancy Drew in the 21st century, even including the Dad-slash-Thwarter, complete with use of technology a la CSI, but with a far more humor. In this first volume, Jasmine is on vacation with her father and Sherri!, the absolutely excellent step-mother. A famous actress and her son are immersed in a murder scandal and are staying at The Venetian, the same hotel as Jasmine. What results is a mad-cap romp to discover who the real murderer is.

There are certain aspects of this novel
Lane
I just finished Bad Kitty by Michele Jaffe. I loved this book so much! I was expecting it to be a "life right now" book but it is mystery!

This book is about a 17 year-old girl named Jasmine Callihan who is six feet tall, has a 25 year-old step mom, and is into solving crimes. SO normal, I know. Jasmine and her family (including her annoying cousin Alison and her friends Veronique) are staying at the Venetian hotel in Las Vegas for their annual end-of-summer vacation. If Jasmine thought this wou
Molly
Oct 28, 2010 Molly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Seventh Grade and Up
Recommended to Molly by: Grace
Bad Kitty is about a girl named Jasmine, who goes to vacation at the Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas. Jasmine, or Jas, is a magnet to trouble. And cats. To make matters worse, Jas has to spend the vacation with her cousin, Alyson, and Alyson’s best friend, Veronique. Alyson has something against Jas and Jas doesn’t know what she has possibly done to make Alyson so mad at her. Jas decides that this vacation can’t get any worse when she spots a cute guy at the pool snack shop. She is about to go talk ...more
Vanessa
Suppose you were planning to be on a wonderful vacation and it all exploded into this big Las Vegas murder mystery. Welcome to the life of Jasmine, a young teen who is trying to find her special 'talent' that individualizes her as a teenager. All the while, trying to solve a mystery she got dragged into. . . by a cat.
Jasmine is a young teen who is just trying to figure out what her special 'talent' is when she becomes tangled up in a crazy adventure trying to outwit a crazed killer.She has thr
Laura Martinelli
Compared to Michelle Jaffe’s current run of ‘rich white girl with problems’ psychological thrillers (which I have enjoyed), I liked this book a lot more. While the mystery element isn’t as deep or complex as say, Rosebush, this is just straight-out plucky girl detective fluff. And it’s exactly the kind of cotton candy brain fluff that I love to read—interesting characters, a decent plot hook and just plain old fun.

Jas is fantastic. She does read a little younger than seventeen at times, but over
Annabelle Laurance
Jasmine Callihan is a 17 year old girl on vacation in Las Vegas with her family. She is spending her vacation trying to avoid her cousin Alyson and her "Evil Hench Twin" Veronique, get the 'cute guy across the pool', Jack, to notice her, and prove to her father that she is a model daughter. However, as soon as she is attacked by a three legged cat (Mean and Dangerous Joe, or Mad Joe for short), things go haywire. She is suddenly caught up in a mystery regarding the murder of Len Phillips, and is ...more
What's The Name o...: Teenage spy [s] 2 80 Dec 27, 2011 05:35PM
BAD KITTY 2 19 Jan 25, 2009 07:02PM
  • Lulu Dark Can See Through Walls
  • Death by Bikini (Death By Mysteries, #1)
  • Kissing the Bee
  • Something Rotten (Horatio Wilkes Mysteries, #1)
  • Prom Dates from Hell (Maggie Quinn: Girl Vs. Evil #1)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Psycho Kitty Queen (Sammy Keyes, #9)
  • Kipling's Choice
  • Live and Let Shop (Spy Goddess, #1)
  • Fact of Life #31
  • Perfect Cover (The Squad, #1)
  • Getting the Girl: A Guide to Private Investigation, Surveillance, and Cookery
  • Missing You (1-800-Where-R-You, #5)
  • Girl v. Boy
  • Audrey, Wait!
  • A Mid-Semester Night's Dream
  • The Murder of Bindy Mackenzie (Ashbury/Brookfield, #3)
  • You Killed Wesley Payne
  • It's a Mall World After All
Michele Jaffe (b. March 20 in Los Angeles, California), is an American writer. She has authored novels in several genres, including historical romance, suspense thrillers, and novels for Young Adults.
More about Michele Jaffe...

Bad Kitty (2 books)
  • Kitty Kitty (Bad Kitty, #2)
Rosebush Kitty Kitty (Bad Kitty, #2) Minders Ghost Flower The Stargazer (Arboretti Family, #1)

“It's so nice to have sane friends.
I imagine.”
29 likes
“that arctic blast you're feeling? it's the chill coming off my cold shoulder” 21 likes