Start by marking “Essential Manners for Couples” as Want to Read:
Essential Manners for Couples

Essential Manners for Couples

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  11 reviews
From the man who closed the lid forever on the "toilet seat debate" in the New York Times bestseller Essential Manners for Men comes the follow-up book that paves the way for couples everywhere to fix relationship problems before they start.

Peter Post offers the secrets to a long and happy marriage or partnership—without psychoanalysis or prescription medication. The good...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published November 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Essential Manners for Couples, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Essential Manners for Couples

Bree
Nothing ground-breaking, but a nice reminder of how to treat your spouse with civility
Tatjana
Apr 20, 2011 Tatjana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people in relationships.
I was a little surprised to read the comments people made:
You probably know everything in the book, blah blah
If you would read this book you are probably already conscientious...

Yes. I'm a contentious person, in a great relationship; but I had a lot of a-ha moments reading this. I also started to see how truly rude people are to their partners. I'm pretty sure some of the people taking it for granted that they are doing the stuff in this book are not.

Stop and think for a moment the last time yo...more
Bryan
I'm a therapist and most of my work is in the realm of mental health. That being said I also do a lot, privately and in the mental health field, in negotiating relationships and their pitfalls.

This book, while full of good information, is a rather.... lets say safe, if not common sense approach to negotiating some of a relationships most common pitfalls. While it has good information most of it isn't very in depth or comprehensive. It sort of glosses over the problem topics and gives some very...more
Cameron
May 24, 2012 Cameron rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all parents and those poor kidless folks we call couples
Recommended to Cameron by: a parent
Parents should give this to their kids when they marry. Kids can give this book to their parents. Parents and(those poor folks who remain childless whom we call)Couples can give it to each other. Practical advice for keeping each other first in mind. I dont recall who gave it to us, but my Love and I both read it years ago and many of the ideas are still in play in our life.
Nicole
The anecdotes were charming, but the information wasn't anything that I hadn't heard before. Reading an article from the relationships section of a site like WebMD would have been quicker and more informative. I finished the book with the unsettling feeling like I had wasted my time.
Elizabeth
I think every couple needs to read this whether they're newlyweds or have been married for years. It really makes you stop and think about how your actions are affecting your spouse--things you didn't even realize could make a difference.
Don Incognito
You should read this at least once in case there's anything you don't already know, but if you're a conscientious person, you're probably already doing everything in it. A lot of the obvious.
Brenda
May 05, 2007 Brenda rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is in a long-term relationship
I bought this book before I got married, just in case. Actually, it was pretty validating; but for others it may make them think about how they treat their partner in day-to-day life.
sarah
Especially if you are prone to throwing down occasionally, you and your partner may not be aware of the other's boundaries. We like to drink heavily once every two months.
Stephanie
This book is a great reminder of the little things that mean so much.
Hannah
Has great advice and interesting ideas and facts
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Izabela Todorova
Izabela Todorova marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Martin Martinov
Martin Martinov marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Honorable Azis
Honorable Azis marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Rosenblad
Rosenblad marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Karin
Karin marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Katie
Katie added it
Feb 13, 2014
Arielle
Arielle marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Johan
Johan marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Jenna Lynn
Jenna Lynn marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Julinda Ooi
Julinda Ooi marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Peter Post, Emily Post's great-grandson, writes the "Etiquette at Work" column for the Sunday edition of The Boston Globe. He is the author of the best-selling book Essential Manners for Men, Essential Manners for Couples and co-authored The Etiquette Advantage in Business, which is in its second edition.
More about Peter Post...
Essential Manners for Men: What to Do, When to Do It, and Why Essential Manners for Men 2nd Ed The Etiquette Advantage in Business, Third Edition: Personal Skills for Professional Success Emily Post's: A Couple's Guide to Etiquette Playing Through: A Guide to the Unwritten Rules of Golf