Start by marking “Nelson Mandela In His Own Words: From Freedom To The Future: Tributes And Speeches” as Want to Read:

A collection of some of the most historic and inspirational addresses by one of the most renowned political leaders of our day.The most stirring voice to come out of South Africa, Nelson Mandela has brought his message of freedom, equality, and human dignity to the entire world. Now, for the first time, his most eloquent and important speeches are collected in a single vol ...more
Published (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Nelson Mandela In His Own Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nelson Mandela In His Own Words

missy jean
Jan 21, 2009 missy jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
550 pages of Nelson Mandela's speeches? Yes, please. Mandela is one of my heroes, so reading speeches from his amazing life (before he went to prison, while he was President, from his more recent humanitarian initiatives) has been a real joy. The book also includes essays on Mandela's legacy by people like Kofi Annan, Graca Machel, Bill Clinton and Bill Cosby.
Max Boukesse
Dec 01, 2009 Max Boukesse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a collection of some of Nelson Mandela's great speeches from his release from prison up to after his presidency.

Some of my favorite quotes from this book:
"The most terrible walls, is the walls that grow up in the mind" N. Mandela
"...mistakes are inevitable element of any process of learning. It is always the case that the spectators are better than the players on the field" N. M.
"It is not where you start but how high you aim that matters for success" NM
"When you give up hope, you may as w
Jonathan
This book is a big collection of Nelson Mandela's speeches. It is a good book, as far as describing the political problems that face most of the countries on this planet. Nelson Mandela is an interesting person. He always stresses moving on and forgetting the bitterness from Apartheid's past, he believes strongly in compromising, and he always stands so firmly on the need for equality for all. Nelson Mandela frequently mentioned the problems that AIDS, poverty, violence, lack of education, healt ...more
~kris~
Aug 13, 2008 ~kris~ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here is a leader that so clearly and eloquently presents the case of his people over and over again in speeches and writings. He could see the injustices and issues that hurt the people and his clarity of vision enabled him to be a respected leader unlike so many freedom fighters-turned oppressors throughout the African continent.
Sabrina Neumann
Dec 20, 2013 Sabrina Neumann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I grabbed this book from the library on a whim and didn't realize until later that it was not a biography. Thought I would be bored to tears reading speeches, but it turns out I was wrong. While the speechless did tend to get a little repetitive towards the end they were still well worth reading. Mandela deserves every honour. A leader we should try to emulate.
Stacy Parrish
Aug 16, 2007 Stacy Parrish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who strive for Peace
I read this book my first year of teaching. Until then, I had never really studied about South Africa or about the life of Nelson Mandela. If I live my life accomplishing half of what he has done, I will leave this earth at peace.
Tushar
Jun 28, 2012 Tushar rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Repetitive, Makes for an exhausting read and the same points are repeated over and over again, I would rather recommend the biography.
Rachel McQuoid
Apr 06, 2011 Rachel McQuoid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is a collection of Nelson Mandelas speeches. truely inspiring, a true hero!
Stephanie
I made it about halfway through this before it was due back at the library, and I'm ashamed to say that I wasn't enjoying it enough to renew it. So be it.
Shelby Delbert
Nov 10, 2014 Shelby Delbert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Larger than life!
Corey
Aug 27, 2008 Corey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in great leaders
This so far is a great read about the Nelson's speaches and inserts in the life of a man we know as Nelson Mandela.
Eva
Jun 24, 2008 Eva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspirerend
Angela Dawn
I really wanted to give this more stars. it just got a little long and redundant. I had to put it down for a while and come back to it. it is a series of speeches made by Mandela or about him. some of them are very interesting. I also love the way he presents things in a nonracial manner for the most part. very nice departure from what we here in America today.
Fahmie Zae
Fahmie Zae rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2014
Siena Go
Siena Go rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2012
Muhammad Akram
Muhammad Akram rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2013
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2014
Vijaya Kumari
Vijaya Kumari rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
May 16, 2012
Alexandria
Alexandria rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2009
Joseph Schmoll
Joseph Schmoll rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2016
Sanvisi Felion
Sanvisi Felion rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2014
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
Bkenti
Bkenti rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2013
Junead
Junead rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2014
Katrina Jayne
Katrina Jayne rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2016
Laemel
Laemel rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2014
Phillip
Phillip rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2010
Debs Erwin
Debs Erwin rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Daniel Woestman
Daniel Woestman rated it really liked it
May 28, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Mandela: The Authorised Biography
  • Power Lines: Two Years on South Africa's Borders
  • A History of South Africa
  • Rabble-Rouser for Peace: The Authorized Biography of Desmond Tutu
  • A Human Being Died That Night: A South African Woman Confronts the Legacy of Apartheid
  • To My Children's Children
  • Eight Days in September
  • Where We Have Hope: A Memoir of Zimbabwe
  • No Future Without Forgiveness
  • Stealing Water: A Secret Life in an African City
  • The Devil That Danced on the Water: A Daughter's Quest
  • After Freedom: The Rise of the Post-Apartheid Generation in Democratic South Africa
  • The Lion Sleeps Tonight
  • Singing Away the Hunger: The Autobiography of an African Woman
  • Mafeking Road: and Other Stories
  • Shirley, Goodness & Mercy: A Childhood in Africa
  • The Smell of Apples
  • Tales From a Troubled Land
Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was a former President of South Africa, the first to be elected in a fully representative democratic election, who held office from 1994–99.

Before his presidency, Mandela was an anti-apartheid activist, and the leader of the African National Congress's armed wing Umkhonto we Sizwe. The South African courts convicted him on charges of sabotage, as well as other crimes com
More about Nelson Mandela...

“វាតែងតែហាក់ដូចជាមិនអាចទៅរួចរហូតដល់វាធ្វើរួចរាល់។”