Nelson Mandela In His Own Words: From Freedom To The Future: Tributes And Speeches

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  11 reviews
A collection of some of the most historic and inspirational addresses by one of the most renowned political leaders of our day.The most stirring voice to come out of South Africa, Nelson Mandela has brought his message of freedom, equality, and human dignity to the entire world. Now, for the first time, his most eloquent and important speeches are collected in a single vol...more
Published (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Nelson Mandela In His Own Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nelson Mandela In His Own Words

missy ward-lambert
550 pages of Nelson Mandela's speeches? Yes, please. Mandela is one of my heroes, so reading speeches from his amazing life (before he went to prison, while he was President, from his more recent humanitarian initiatives) has been a real joy. The book also includes essays on Mandela's legacy by people like Kofi Annan, Graca Machel, Bill Clinton and Bill Cosby.
Max Boukesse
It's a collection of some of Nelson Mandela's great speeches from his release from prison up to after his presidency.

Some of my favorite quotes from this book:
"The most terrible walls, is the walls that grow up in the mind" N. Mandela
"...mistakes are inevitable element of any process of learning. It is always the case that the spectators are better than the players on the field" N. M.
"It is not where you start but how high you aim that matters for success" NM
"When you give up hope, you may as w...more
Sabrina Neumann
I grabbed this book from the library on a whim and didn't realize until later that it was not a biography. Thought I would be bored to tears reading speeches, but it turns out I was wrong. While the speechless did tend to get a little repetitive towards the end they were still well worth reading. Mandela deserves every honour. A leader we should try to emulate.
~kris~
Here is a leader that so clearly and eloquently presents the case of his people over and over again in speeches and writings. He could see the injustices and issues that hurt the people and his clarity of vision enabled him to be a respected leader unlike so many freedom fighters-turned oppressors throughout the African continent.
Stacy Parrish
Aug 16, 2007 Stacy Parrish rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who strive for Peace
I read this book my first year of teaching. Until then, I had never really studied about South Africa or about the life of Nelson Mandela. If I live my life accomplishing half of what he has done, I will leave this earth at peace.
Stephanie
I made it about halfway through this before it was due back at the library, and I'm ashamed to say that I wasn't enjoying it enough to renew it. So be it.
Tushar
Repetitive, Makes for an exhausting read and the same points are repeated over and over again, I would rather recommend the biography.
Corey
Aug 27, 2008 Corey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in great leaders
This so far is a great read about the Nelson's speaches and inserts in the life of a man we know as Nelson Mandela.
Rachel
this book is a collection of Nelson Mandelas speeches. truely inspiring, a true hero!
Jonathan
This book is a big collection of Nelson Mandela's speeches. It is a good book, as far as describing the political problems that face most of the countries on this planet. Nelson Mandela is an interesting person. He always stresses moving on and forgetting the bitterness from Apartheid's past, he believes strongly in compromising, and he always stands so firmly on the need for equality for all. Nelson Mandela frequently mentioned the problems that AIDS, poverty, violence, lack of education, healt...more
Muhammad Asif
Muhammad Asif marked it as to-read
Basma
Basma marked it as to-read
Saddam
Saddam marked it as to-read
Sada Meka
Sada Meka marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Bandana Pandey
Bandana Pandey marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Humayun Khan
Humayun Khan marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Luisa
Luisa marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Magguie May
Magguie May marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Giveus Mangisi
Giveus Mangisi marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Faisal Deri
Faisal Deri marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Magda Narima
Magda Narima marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Bhoop Singh
Bhoop Singh marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
David Guhl
David Guhl marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was a former President of South Africa, the first to be elected in a fully representative democratic election, who held office from 1994–99.

Before his presidency, Mandela was an anti-apartheid activist, and the leader of the African National Congress's armed wing Umkhonto we Sizwe. The South African courts convicted him on charges of sabotage, as well as other crimes com...more
More about Nelson Mandela...
Long Walk to Freedom Conversations With Myself Nelson Mandela's Favorite African Folktales No Easy Walk to Freedom Long Walk To Freedom (Volume 1: 1918-1962)

“Everything seems impossible until it's done!” 5 likes