Start by marking “The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 4” as Want to Read:
The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 4

The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 4 (The Story of Saiunkoku #4)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  248 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Shurei Hong, destitute but of noble birth, has always dreamed of working as a civil servant in the Imperial court of Saiunkoku, but women are barred from holding office. The emperor Ryuki, however, refuses to take command, leaving everything to his advisers. Shurei is asked to become a consort to the emperor to persuade the ne'er-do-well ruler to govern.

Shurei has been di...more
Published August 2nd 2011 by VIZ Media LLC (first published February 26th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 4

Judy (Geeky Reading)
~3/5

[Read more at my blog, Geeky Reading!]

I really want to like this series, but I think I’m giving it an indefinite pause for now.

It’s interesting. The characters are fun: I like Shurei, she’s smart and feisty. Ryuki is my favorite; he’s adorable and sweet and I love how he talks. There’s a bunch of other characters that intrigue me as well. The plot is interesting: I like the attraction between Shurei and Ryuki, and Seiran and Shurei, and their pasts. I really find where Shurei is going intere...more
Estara
Aug 05, 2011 Estara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of the series
Shelves: manga, read-in-2011
Natalie
Ok, where to begin . . . .

Well, I will start by saying that this review will go between volumes 1-5. If anybody knows any online site that goes even further than volume 5, let me know.

Anyway, I guess I should say that as sad as this is I'm still having problems with their names. I can tell the difference between characters but it's just that some names are so similar that when their names are mentioned I'm thinking, who?

Going into this series, I thought I was going to hate it. The idea that this...more
Mely
Aug 03, 2011 Mely marked it as read-seq-art
Shelves: manga, shojo
"Your Majesty, you didn't dig up something strange and eat it, did you?" "What do you think I am?"

"Midnight tryst" is probably the best period-appropriate translation, but from everyone's reactions I think the most accurate translation for "yobiai" might be "booty call." Oh, Ryuuki.

I wish there were more women in this series, but I do like that Shurei is sincerely more interested in a career than romance. Poor Ryuuki, though.

I am completely at a loss as to why Kouyou is convinced Ryuuki will mak...more
Leah Webber
Shurei finishes her stint as a civil servant, just in time to be the first woman to take the civil servants exam.
CJ - Drop Dead Cute
Slowly plodding along and while it's dense it's still refreshing and intriguing.
Denisse
Denisse is currently reading it
Oct 21, 2014
Hazel Mary Cussons
Hazel Mary Cussons marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Debra
Debra marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Vivienne
Vivienne marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Zm Dimla
Zm Dimla marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Kimberly Saldana
Kimberly Saldana marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Deval Singh
Deval Singh marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
  • A Bride's Story 02
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 04 (Library Wars: Love &  War, #4)
  • Natsume's Book of Friends, Volume 7
  • Dawn of the Arcana, Vol. 04 (Dawn of the Arcana, #4)
  • Basara, Vol. 11
  • Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 08
  • Skip Beat!, Vol. 31
Also known as 由羅 カイリ
More about Kairi Yura...
The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 1 The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 2 The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 3 The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 5 The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 6