Start by marking “The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 4” as Want to Read:
The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 4

The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 4 (The Story of Saiunkoku #4)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  294 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Shurei Hong, destitute but of noble birth, has always dreamed of working as a civil servant in the Imperial court of Saiunkoku, but women are barred from holding office. The emperor Ryuki, however, refuses to take command, leaving everything to his advisers. Shurei is asked to become a consort to the emperor to persuade the ne'er-do-well ruler to govern.

Shurei has been di
Published August 2nd 2011 by VIZ Media LLC (first published February 26th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 4

Blue Exorcist, Vol. 1 by Kazue KatoBlack Butler, Vol. 05 by Yana TobosoOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 17 by Bisco HatoriNaruto, Vol. 51 by Masashi KishimotoHighschool of the Dead, Vol. 1 by Daisuke Sato
Manga realeased in America in 2011
35th out of 73 books — 52 voters
Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriHana-Kimi, Vol. 1 by Hisaya NakajoThe Gentlemen's Alliance †, Vol. 05 by Arina TanemuraTenshi Ja Nai!! (I'm No Angel), Vol. 1 by Takako ShigematsuVoice Over! by Maki Minami
Gender-Bender Manga/Manhwa
21st out of 34 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Judy (Geeky Reading)
~3/5

[Read more at my blog, Geeky Reading!]

I really want to like this series, but I think I’m giving it an indefinite pause for now.

It’s interesting. The characters are fun: I like Shurei, she’s smart and feisty. Ryuki is my favorite; he’s adorable and sweet and I love how he talks. There’s a bunch of other characters that intrigue me as well. The plot is interesting: I like the attraction between Shurei and Ryuki, and Seiran and Shurei, and their pasts. I really find where Shurei is going intere
Estara
Aug 05, 2011 Estara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of the series
Shelves: manga, read-in-2011
Natalie
Ok, where to begin . . . .

Well, I will start by saying that this review will go between volumes 1-5. If anybody knows any online site that goes even further than volume 5, let me know.

Anyway, I guess I should say that as sad as this is I'm still having problems with their names. I can tell the difference between characters but it's just that some names are so similar that when their names are mentioned I'm thinking, who?

Going into this series, I thought I was going to hate it. The idea that this
Debby
Jun 07, 2015 Debby rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga, mnc
suka suka sukaaa banget dengan vol yang ini membuat daku menyadari,

1. meraih cita2 tuh memang enggak bisa yah tanpa bantuan dan dukungan orang lain, minimal ada yang membukakan jalan seperti ryuki yang membuka jalan untuk shuurei. walau tetap kembali ke kemampuan shuurei sendiri kan akhirnya.
2. yah ampunnn ryuki kamu tuh puppy banget yah lol. kepolosan yang mengerikan.
3. aihhhh ada the ultumate cowo cantik bertopeng. lollll that why i love this comic a lot lol.....

kelemahan nih komik tetep den
Rachel (Sfogs)
It passed! Women can now apply to take the exam!
And the strange man is not who he seems ;-)
Mely
Aug 03, 2011 Mely marked it as read-seq-art
Shelves: manga, shojo
"Your Majesty, you didn't dig up something strange and eat it, did you?" "What do you think I am?"

"Midnight tryst" is probably the best period-appropriate translation, but from everyone's reactions I think the most accurate translation for "yobiai" might be "booty call." Oh, Ryuuki.

I wish there were more women in this series, but I do like that Shurei is sincerely more interested in a career than romance. Poor Ryuuki, though.

I am completely at a loss as to why Kouyou is convinced Ryuuki will mak
Leah Webber
Shurei finishes her stint as a civil servant, just in time to be the first woman to take the civil servants exam.
CJ - So, you wanna play with magic?
Slowly plodding along and while it's dense it's still refreshing and intriguing.
Kaitie DuLaney
Kaitie DuLaney marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Bethan
Bethan marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Bre
Bre marked it as to-read
Cheza Carlisle
Cheza Carlisle marked it as to-read
Abhi.R_22
Abhi.R_22 marked it as to-read
Weng Lopez
Weng Lopez marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Astrid Tansidar
Astrid Tansidar marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Scarlett
Scarlett marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 03 (Library Wars: Love & War #3)
  • From Far Away, Vol. 10
  • A Bride's Story, Vol. 2
  • Natsume's Book of Friends, Volume 7
  • Dawn of the Arcana, Vol. 06 (Dawn of the Arcana, #6)
  • Basara, Vol. 27
  • Beauty is the Beast, Volume 2
Also known as 由羅 カイリ
More about Kairi Yura...

The Story of Saiunkoku (9 books)
  • The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 1
  • The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 2
  • The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 3
  • The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 5
  • The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 6
  • The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 7
  • The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 8
  • 彩雲国物語 9
The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 1 The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 2 The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 3 The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 5 The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 6