Start by marking “Now You See Her” as Want to Read:
Now You See Her

Now You See Her

3.11 of 5 stars 3.11  ·  rating details  ·  369 ratings  ·  64 reviews
For Hope Shay the entire world is a stage. Really.

Acting has been her dream for as long as she can remember. She will do anything, anything, to get a leading role. Okay, maybe faking her own abduction was extreme. But a true actress suffers for her art. And Hope is a born actress if ever there was one.
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperTeen (first published February 27th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Now You See Her, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Now You See Her

Karin
NOW YOU SEE HER by Jacquelyn Mitchard is a frightening look inside the head of a very confused girl. The book is, essentially, the journal of Hope - a girl in trouble.

The event that led to her downfall unfolds throughout the course of the story. It involves a boy, “The Plan”, “The Idea”, and Romeo and Juliet.

Jacquelyn Mitchard, author of MIDNIGHT TWINS, has written another thought-provoking book. She has created a character that is a little hard to like while at the same time weaving a story the...more
Hayden
An almost-interesting unreliable narrator. The teen who reviewed it for us thought it was so bad that she suggested other teens read it for a laugh.
Maya
Irritating character, too many exclamation points...an interesting story idea, but it just didn't work for me.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Amber Gibson for TeensReadToo.com

NOW YOU SEE HER is an amazingly realistic look into the life of a self-centered girl who has been showered with attention from her parents all of her life. Bernadette, or Hope, her stage name, dreams of being a famous actress--and she is willing to do anything to get to the top. Her mother has always pushed her so hard, and now her mother's dreams for Hope are her own. Hope knows she's the best and explains that her lack of friends is simply because e...more
Annie
Unraveling the story from Hope/Bernadette's perspective was interesting, but that was about all I enjoyed about this one. Maybe it's because I don't really like drama queens unless they have redeeming characteristics. Learning about Hope's mental illness did help with understanding why she was so unbalanced in the way she approached the world, but that clarification did not happen soon enough to help me understand her behavior. Having pity for a character doesn't lead to liking them and that was...more
Rebecca
Feb 19, 2010 Rebecca rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone, but particularly teens.
Shelves: for-fun, library
Kate Kerby
This book is about a girl named Bernadette Romano, aka Hope Shay. She has grown up in the acting world ever. Ever since she was little, she has been doing plays and small commercials. She pretty much thinks that she is the best actress there is. She thinks that she’s so good that she can fake her own kidnapping. Her plan was to pretend to get kidnapped so that she could get some fame. But, she gets fame and attention beyond what she ever thought. And not all the attention she gets is good or pos...more
Michelle
Mar 01, 2011 Michelle rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: like, no one
I actually abandoned this book, but wanted to add it to the list to warn fellow friends and myself that it is not worth it. It is very obvious that the author is trying really hard to sound like a teenager and really that just makes the book feel all the more contrived and patronizing. At the third misuse of like I was ready to throw the book across the room. I guess I will never know the surprise ending that it was building up to. The author should stick with books for adults.
Alicia
This book had me hooked from the start of Bernadette/Hope's ill-fated rise to stardom. Plot twists and turns kept me turning pages.

Then the last chapter was awkward and felt tacked on and un-edited. Lame.
Steph Su
Hope Shay—real name Bernadette Romano—is a talented fifteen-year-old actor whose desire to perform is ambiguously mixed up with her mother’s hardcore stage mother actions. We meet Hope when she’s at a strict prep-like school called Miss Taylor’s for supposedly faking her own kidnapping. Hope has got it good: the lead role in her prestigious arts school’s production of Romeo and Juliet, a blossoming acting career, the right clothes. So why would someone like her do what she did?

In her journal, Ho...more
Eleanor
Jan 09, 2009 Eleanor added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
I hated this book. It was a girl named Bernadette Romano who is a very talented young actress. As she gets more and more famous, her mom changes her name to Hope Shay. Hope gets excepted to Starwood, a private school for those who are exceptionally good at acting. When the school play is announced, Romeo and Juliet, Hope auditions for the part of Juliet and gets it which means she beat out a lot of really talented seniors. As Logan, who plays Romeo, works more and more with Hope, he starts to b...more
Susan
Aug 16, 2007 Susan rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Susan by: harper teen
Shelves: youngadult
Vicki
Rebecca
I really liked reading Now You See Her. I sat down and read it in an entire day. It's not very big either so it wasn't impossible. Anyhow, I really thought that Now You See Her was a thoroughly enjoyable read.

It definitely was not what I had expected. There were a couple of plot twists and turns that really surprised me as I would never have guessed them.

The characters were all really good and I really liked Hope, I felt sorry for and how she got sucked into the life she did.

The story line itsel...more
Carla
the writer uses suspense to captivate the reader and draw them in. while reader you have to put the pieces together. not knowing the whole story and just knowing some pieces of the story makes you want to know even more. you can only find out if you continue reading. the suthor makes you understand the why without telling you. she leaves it open for you to figure out.

this book descibes a realistic look into the life of a self-centered girl who has been showered with attention from her parents al...more
Jasmine Salinas
I feel like the story was confusing at times and kind of dragged on. When the author finally let you know why everything was happening it wasn't until the very end and then everything made sense but I just felt like that took too long. The main character got annoying half way through the book and i just wanted to tell her she was dumb. lol also the consistent use of the word like (i assumed was used to seem teenager-ish???) was very annoying. It made me swear to not use it as often as i do hahah...more
Haley Keller
My initial reaction upon finishing this book was that it was insane. I started off really hating the main character Hope. She's an actress and basically thinks she is the greatest person to ever live. For the first few chapters all I could think about was how much I didn't like her. I was slightly tempted to stop reading, but I saw that other people seemed to have liked the book, so I kept reading.

You can read the rest of my review here:
Carrie Wilson
The protagonist of this short, quick read is not at all likable or reliable. Hope is foolish, conceited, delusional and a victim of her own foibles, which include a botched staging of her own kidnapping. The book was fairly entertaining because Hope's grandiosity is funny. It is also interesting to finally find out what really happened; Hope has spun a tangled knot of lies. It is a very quick read that I'd recommend to teens who enjoy The Midnight Twins books.

Tessa
This is one of the most disappointing books I have read in a while. The narrator was unlikable, and I had to make myself finish it. Mitchard's first attempt at YA lit is not very successful, but I do recommend her other book for teens called All We Know of Heaven: A Novel. It is a much better book with far more likable characters.
Emma
Now You See Her is a majorly confusing book about a girl who you think is a healthy teenage girl. I won't say more about what you think and what is because that is the entire point of the book. So I'll just say that Hope Shay is a girl at a high school for the arts and that hijinks ensue. I would recommend it to people who don't mind major confusion and are okay with endings that most people like as much as the ending to Mockingjay.
Maree  ♫ Light's Shadow ♪
This is one of those unreliable narrator stories. Hope is an aspiring actress who has the talent and the drive, but they've shut her up in a recovery hospital because of something that we learn about along the way. It's actually a pretty nice journey, if not a little predictable. I especially liked the analysis at the end of herself and her ways. It started out very rambling and slow, but once she got to the story, it went all right.
Amy
I'm not sure how I feel about this book, the narrator is someone I didn't have any sympathy with, especially at first, and too many exclaimation marks were used, but I actually enjoyed the first part of the story, and thought it the idea behind it was great, the only problem was, I guessed what had happened early on, so spent the rest of the book a bit bored, I was hoping to be proved wrong by the end, but was disappointed.
Amyc
teen novel that started out ok with a pretty good plot, but it seemed to lose focus by the end. At the end it seemed as if the author was trying too hard to "explain" what had happened. I had pretty much figured everything out, so the end was not as "surprising" as the author had probably hoped. If you want a great book (so much better than this) read "I Am the Cheese" by Robert Cormier. Now that will blow your socks off!
Diana
Not really sure what to say; it's not like other books I've read which is probably why I liked it so much.
I first read it when I was 16 and I really did like the twist, but I guess it's one of those books that only makes sense reading it once because once you know what happens it's kind of hard not to notice small details you missed the first time around. Which kind of ruins it.
Kate
Hope Shay is going to be famous; at least that is what her mother says as she sends her off to art school. Hope has already been in several predictions and is willing to do anything to become famous. When things start not going Hope's way; she can't get the guy; she didn't get the role in the school play she wanted; Hope decides to do something drastic. She stages her own kidnapping.
Maris
Since the beginning I wanted to just stop reading it but I convinced myself not to, thinking it would get better.
It never got interesting, until towards the end... the rest was boring.
I liked actually liked Hope, mostly because I felt sorry for her though but she annoyed me to no end.
I'm just happy I'm done with this book so I can move on to another one.
Whitney Housenga
Pamela
Feb 02, 2008 Pamela rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Pamela by: Nobody
Shelves: teen
Now You See Her was an amaizing book. Only thing about it was that it made me VERY depressed and confused. Even if the story confused me, i though it was interesting to read a story told by an unreliable narrator. Some parts i didn't think were that great. I don't think other people would like this book much.
Kit
This is a technically brilliant book, and I couldn't put it down. I can't say much about the look into troubled Hope's life without spoiling the plot, but I can say it's one of those books that, while it was too disturbing to want to reread for the story itself, I want to reread so I can see how Mitchard did it.
Jerrica
Apr 13, 2008 Jerrica rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Jerrica by: No one
I didn't like this book very much. The author didn't really dive too much into teenage perspective, instead of Hope being the smart girl that she was described to be, the author made her seem like one of those stereotypical Hollywood divas. Which is sometimes fun to read about, but not in this book.
  • An Improvised Life
  • Behind the Bell: Behind the Scenes of Saved by the Bell with the Guy Who Was There for Everything
  • Just in Case
  • Rat Life
  • Blonde Ambition: The Untold Story Behind Anna Nicole Smith's Death
  • Life: The Movie: How Entertainment Conquered Reality
  • Invisible
  • The Naked Lady Who Stood on Her Head: A Psychiatrist's Stories of His Most Bizarre Cases
  • John Belushi Is Dead
Jacquelyn Mitchard’s first novel, The Deep End of the Ocean, was named by USA Today as one of the ten most influential books of the past 25 years – second only to the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling (but second by a long shot, it must be said.)

The Deep End of the Ocean was chosen as the first novel in the book club made famous by the TV host Oprah Winfrey, and transformed into a feature film p...more
More about Jacquelyn Mitchard...
The Deep End of the Ocean (Cappadora Family, #1) Cage of Stars A Theory of Relativity The Breakdown Lane The Most Wanted

“They talk about everything that happened right in front of me like I’m not there. They don’t see me. When you don’t see someone, she disappears. That’s why I’m vanishing.” 2 likes