Page

Page (Protector of the Small #2)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  24,612 ratings  ·  368 reviews
Kel fights to maintain the rigorous regimen of a page while confronting the prejudices that come with being a female in a man's world and coping with a crush on her closest friend, Neal.
Published May 1st 2001 by Perfection Learning (first published May 23rd 2000)

Emma Larkins
Sep 16, 2008 Emma Larkins rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Everyone should read Tamora Pierce. Not just fantasy readers, not just young readers, but anyone who enjoys a good tale. And who doesn't? If you've read Tamora Pierce, then you already know what I mean.

Tamora never tries to win an award for the most confuscated use of the English language. She never lets language get in the way of her story. She writes her books in a simple, honest way to hook her readers into a fascinating tale. And she succeeds brilliantly in doing so.

In Page, Tamora Pierce ge...more
Anila
Here is another book that I love too much to really review, and since I'm trying to save all my reminiscing about how important this series has been to me for the third book, I'm going to keep this short, with just a few of the things I loved about this entry:

- Kel's friends, and particularly Neal. From page 13 of the trade paperback: "Neal had taught Kel to know the palace the year before, assisting her with classwork and cheering her worst moods with his tart humor. In return she tried to keep...more
Sophie
WHYYY isn't "Squire" waiting at the library for me yet? MUST READ NOW.

I continue to love this series. This one was the Puberty Book, in which Keladry grows breasts, gets her period, and starts attracting male attention. She's kind of oblivious to it, though, which is amusing. I hope she and Neal get to make out at some point.

Anyway, Kel gets a dog and a maid on the same day. The maid is Lalasa, a timid woman who slowly learns how to defend herself thanks to Kel's persistent teachings. The femini...more
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

In Page, Kelladry has passed her first year in probation and still has to complete 3 more years of page training to become a squire. She still has her friends, Jump the dog, and Crown and her flock of sparrows, along with Neal, Cleon, Roald and the rest. She has gained a new maid, Lalassa, who is a country girl new to the city. She also has to contend with the conservative squires, who wish her to leave.

I like how K...more
Kathy Davie
Second in the Protector of the Small fantasy series for children revolving around Kel of Mindelan, only the second girl to want to become a knight of Tortall.

My Take
We get all the rest of the years Kel spends as a page in this one story. She matures and has all the complications which that entails including coping with falling in love with Neal and some of her school friends starting to see her in a more romantic vein.

Kel continues to set the moral tone with support from her friends. Well, those...more
Vickie
Samantha
What I liked:
-Keladry. She grows on me with each book I read. She’s just such a normal girl trying so hard to prove to everyone that she can be as good as any boy, and she’ll stop at nothing until everyone sees it. She trains harder and longer than the others, and it really shows how dedicated she is to the life of a hero. And in this book, Kel shows that she really thinks those below her should be treated with respect.
-Lalasa. She begins the book as a timid little mouse, and she slowly begins t...more
Kathleen
I continue to love how hard Kel has to work to earn her place and prove that she is as good as any boy. In her drive to protect those that need it, she acquires a maid and a dog. The maid gets self defense lessons while the dog proves to be quite able to defend Kel. It is all to the good. I also really like that Kel's weakness is a very realistic fear of heights. The precipitating incident with her brother also explains her dislike of bullies, all of which comes to a head in this book. I enjoyed...more
Tonileg
Second book in the Lady Knight Quartet where we live through Kel's second through fourth (and last) year as a Page in the capital of Tortall.
Kel still has a tough time proving herself to the other male pages and instructors, but it is a bit easier because she has a good entourage of friends. She is also growing up and becoming a woman which only annoys her as she is working so hard to become the best. Kel is obviously the best but because of her upbringing of modesty and silence, she doesn't eve...more
Lena
Mar 10, 2014 Lena rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tortall fans
Alright Tamora high fives back to you I definitely enjoyed this one better than First Test.
The humor is back! I really love the humor in the Tortall books. Light passes between the pages that make me laugh out loud. It's so easy and natural, too!
Now, there are some crazy happenings in this book alright! Much more eventful than the first. There are a whole lot of characters and Tamora did a better job of weaving them meaningfully into the story. I MEAN THE DEATH OF A CERTAIN IMPERIAL PRINCESS?!?!...more
Tulip Springrose
I enjoyed this installment for two reasons: More scenes with NEAL, and the scenes between Lalasa and Kel about puberty, and normalizing it for the younger readers, I thought that was lovely. (SPOILERS ahead!)

Aside from all of that, I still don't like Keladry, or think she's heroic at all, even in the scene with Lalasa and the tower.

Keladry's apporach to everything is very one-track minded, follow the book, and very rule and law oriented. She's never CREATIVE or even just flexible about anything,...more
Ariana
This was yet another enjoyable book in the Protector of the Small series. I didn't enjoy it as much as the first book, but it was still a good read and it wasn't boring at any point in the story. I won't talk about the world and the characters because I've already discussed that in my review of the first book, so my review of this novel will be mostly about the plot.

This story is where we truly see how Kel develops her sense of justice and need to protect those who can't protect themselves. Lala...more
Wealhtheow
Kel continues training to be a knight. She faces sexism from her fellow nobles and danger from the kingdom's enemies.

Kel goes through puberty (at 12, which seems early for her time period) and immediately starts being interesting to boys--and gets interested right back. I wish we'd gotten more of her training, which is the most interesting part of these books to me. I also wish Kel was a little less perfect.
Dee
Having passed a probationary year Kel is a proper page, undergoing the four (well, three now) years before becoming a squire. So obviously we cover a lot of ground in this entry. I adore the minutiae, the special exercises, the bigotry, the class divide, the animals, the newcomers, it's all great. And the penultimate event, well, of course such a scheme would occur, it makes perfect sense in the behaviour of Kel's detractors.

As for early puberty, well, I know the pains of it myself. To those wh...more
Loren Weaver
Page is the second book in the Protector of the Small series by Tamora Pierce.

Kel, Neal, and the others are back. Against all the odds, Kel made it to her second year as a page. She's faced with new hardships as she and Lord Wyldon come to an unspoken understanding.

Kel also has decided not to let bullies rule the castle, and she's going to do everything she can to stop it. Her friend circle expands, and she finds that nothing else is more important than her studies and her friends.

Kel really gr...more
Lee Ann
Welp, everything I said about this series in my review of book one holds true. I still love Kel and all her friends and I'm eager to move on to book three. It's been a relief to have Joren out of the way (though I suspect he had something to do with Lalasa's kidnapping...), I'm glad Wyldon came around (still hate him though), and I'm glad Jump didn't die... Or Peachblossom... Or the sparrows.

My problem with this book though was the pacing. There were a lot of summarizing paragraphs. It's hard to...more
sylas

I adore this series. Keladry is one of my favorite characters in the history of ya novels!
June
Sep 28, 2007 June rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults and fantasy readers
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed this series more than the Alanna books. They seemed to have a bit more meat to them.
Harlie
Obviously I am already in love with the world that Tamora Pierce created and this is when it really picks up. I appreciated the fact that she didn't feel the need to write out four entire years of the same stuff again and again. It hits all the important points of her years, though I do wonder what happened in the days that she didn't write about, but I'm glad I didn't have to re-read the same day to day things for four years. That would've made a boring book. I love how she brought in the side...more
Go
I became bored with this 2nd book. It was rather mundane, especially when it started off right away with Kel fighting the bullies again. Wouldn’t the leaders have figured this out by now and done something about it? It seemed like the kids would have realized the seriousness of their training and done away with childish behavior. Then Joren, the main bully, has a change of heart. It was unexplained really as to why he behaved differently. Also the food service training was uneventful. Barely any...more
Courtney
I still think that Kel might just be my favorite of Tamora Pierce's characters, ever.

While not my favorite book she's written, I completely enjoyed this one of this series.

WHAT WAS WRITTEN

Keladry of Mindelan, the first girl to apply to train as a knight since Alana the Lioness, is finally a Page. She's finally on equal footing as the rest of her class - equal to the boys in all things. However, she still has three years before she can become a squire and train at the side of an established knigh...more
Katie
Another of the many books from my childhood that I plan to read again. First Test was just as good as I remembered it, so now I'm moving on to Page.

No longer on probation, Keladry of Mindelan is back training as a Page and still righteously protects those weaker and smaller. She saves both a dog, Jump, and a timid servant girl, Lalasa. The bullies, Joren and his gang, are also back in action but Kel isn't taking any of that lying down.

The only problem I have with this series has to do with Kel's...more
Kereesa
Page is the second book in the Protector of the Small Quartet and follows Keladry, a full fledged page now through her last three years of her pagehood (is that a word?) as she fights her way to squiredom. Fighting off bullies, negative opinions, and the rising challenges by her training master, Kel must keep true to herself and her values while fighting to become stronger and better.
Page is really a continuation of the problems, situations, and activities predominant in the first Protector of t...more
Annette
I'm on a fantasy kick, so I am sure I'll finish up this series. But there is really nothing deep or substantive here. It's a very basic bildungsroman, with all the unbelievable pathos of a pre-teen / early teen who can't seem to believe she's something special. In many ways, it's nearly the duplicate of the first book - Kel fights bullies, attempts to dodge those nasty misogynists, makes friends with a few animals, and proves herself in actual combat just as an aside. About the only variation fr...more
Bridget Mckinney

I'm just falling more and more in love with Kel and this series. I should definitely have made it a point to read all of Tamora Pierce's Tortall books before now. Page wraps up Kel's next three years of training on her path to becoming a knight, and it expands upon many of the ideas that were introduced inFirst Test.

Kel has made it through her "probationary" year as a page and won the right to continue training for knighthood, but her struggles aren't over and there are still people who want to

Debbie
Allison
Ashley
I'm really enjoying my romp through Tamora Pierce's third Tortall quartet. I read this one through in one sitting in just a couple of hours, not because of the length, but because I was so engrossed in the world she's created, and probably more importantly, because I was so invested in what happens to Keladry, her main character.

Page picks up not long after First Test. It's Kel's 2nd year training to be a knight, and she's no longer on probation for being a girl. It would have been really easy f...more
Wesley Mcginnis
The book, Page, by Tamora Pierce is the squeal to First Test and does not let you down. The book picks up right where the last once left and does it without missing a beat. Page is all about young Kel's journey to become a squire and the three harsh long years she has to go through in order to get there. Nobody respects women or thinks of them as fighters which is why Kel often can't walk one step without being yelled at and teased. It's terrible to think that a world like this ever existed and...more
Courtney Reads A Lot
In Page, Book 2 of the Protector of the Small series, Kel is no longer under probation. She has returned for her second year of training as a page, and has taken many of the people in court by surprise, including her training master and fellow pages. They had expected her to give up the previous year under the pressure of bullying and rigorous training, but Kel finished with flying colors. Now, she finds herself feeling differently about her friend and fellow page Neal, noticing his good looks w...more
  • Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)
  • Rise of a Hero (The Farsala Trilogy, #2)
  • The Tenth Power (The Chanters of Tremaris, #3)
  • The Lioness and Her Knight (The Squire's Tales, #7)
  • Wizard's Holiday (Young Wizards, #7)
  • Crown Duel (Crown & Court #1-2)
  • Page (Tamora Pierce Novel)
  • Sign of the Dove (The Dragon Chronicles, Book 3)
  • Lirael (Abhorsen, #2)
  • Wolf Queen (Claidi Journals, #3)
  • The Crown of Dalemark (The Dalemark Quartet, #4)
  • First Rider's Call (Green Rider, #2)
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join gro...more
More about Tamora Pierce...
Alanna: The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness, #1) Lioness Rampant (Song of the Lioness, #4) In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the Lioness, #2) Wild Magic (Immortals, #1) The Woman Who Rides Like a Man (Song of the Lioness, #3)

“I suppose he could have changed," Neal said dryly. "I myself have noticed my growing resemblance to a daffodil." The other pages snorted.

Kel eyed her friend. "You do look yellow around the edges," she told him, her face quite serious. "I hadn’t wanted to bring it up."

"We daffodils like to have things brought up," Neal said, slinging an arm around her shoulders. "It reminds us of spring.”
430 likes
“A friend had commented once that Neal had a gift for making someone want to punch him just for saying hello.” 335 likes