Start by marking “Page” as Want to Read:
Page

Page (Protector of the Small #2)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  29,600 ratings  ·  452 reviews
Kel fights to maintain the rigorous regimen of a page while confronting the prejudices that come with being a female in a man's world and coping with a crush on her closest friend, Neal.
Published May 1st 2001 by Perfection Learning (first published May 23rd 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Page, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Page

Emma Larkins
Sep 16, 2008 Emma Larkins rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Everyone should read Tamora Pierce. Not just fantasy readers, not just young readers, but anyone who enjoys a good tale. And who doesn't? If you've read Tamora Pierce, then you already know what I mean.

Tamora never tries to win an award for the most confuscated use of the English language. She never lets language get in the way of her story. She writes her books in a simple, honest way to hook her readers into a fascinating tale. And she succeeds brilliantly in doing so.

In Page, Tamora Pierce ge
Anila
Here is another book that I love too much to really review, and since I'm trying to save all my reminiscing about how important this series has been to me for the third book, I'm going to keep this short, with just a few of the things I loved about this entry:

- Kel's friends, and particularly Neal. From page 13 of the trade paperback: "Neal had taught Kel to know the palace the year before, assisting her with classwork and cheering her worst moods with his tart humor. In return she tried to keep
Sophie
WHYYY isn't "Squire" waiting at the library for me yet? MUST READ NOW.

I continue to love this series. This one was the Puberty Book, in which Keladry grows breasts, gets her period, and starts attracting male attention. She's kind of oblivious to it, though, which is amusing. I hope she and Neal get to make out at some point.

Anyway, Kel gets a dog and a maid on the same day. The maid is Lalasa, a timid woman who slowly learns how to defend herself thanks to Kel's persistent teachings. The femini
Paranormal_Madness
What I liked:
-Keladry. She grows on me with each book I read. She’s just such a normal girl trying so hard to prove to everyone that she can be as good as any boy, and she’ll stop at nothing until everyone sees it. She trains harder and longer than the others, and it really shows how dedicated she is to the life of a hero. And in this book, Kel shows that she really thinks those below her should be treated with respect.
-Lalasa. She begins the book as a timid little mouse, and she slowly begins t
Rachel E. Carter
Buddy reread with Monica 1/23/15-1/24/15

5 Perfect Stars Again!!!

Even more amazing follow up to the first in series. I've already fangirl'd really hard so if if you are interest in this series this is the review to read: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show.... I don't have the heart to do another GIF/quote-ladden review so just trust me, if you loved the first Kel book the second only gets better.

Anna
‘Page’ is a worthy follow-up to First Test. The characters make it shine, and while Kel is a wonderful hero, it’s the cast of secondary characters I’m especially fond of. I simply adore Neal, who is funny and quirky and just awesome. I love amiable and humorous Cleon and the way he uses flowery figures in his speech while talking with Kel. And I like Jump, the dog who is as much courageous and loyal as he is ugly. Most of all I love Lalasa. She isn't a warrior; she is shy, meek and soft-spoken m ...more
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

In Page, Kelladry has passed her first year in probation and still has to complete 3 more years of page training to become a squire. She still has her friends, Jump the dog, and Crown and her flock of sparrows, along with Neal, Cleon, Roald and the rest. She has gained a new maid, Lalassa, who is a country girl new to the city. She also has to contend with the conservative squires, who wish her to leave.

I like how K
Vickie
Nicole
This one was even better! She has more friends, the challenges are different, she makes a female friend, she starts experiencing all kinds of ~lady~ things. Seriously, I love this series. I love that Kel's goal is to be a knight that defends the weak/small - she doesn't even just defend, she *teaches* others how to defend themselves. So good. Would recommend to all!
Monica
1/25/15 buddy re-read with Rachel

All of the stars. Perfection in all ways. Complex, lovable characters; detailed, believable world-building; suspenseful action scenes and climax; hilarious writing inducing real, actual LOLing; kickassiest kickass themes of kickassery.

The only thing - and it's a tiny, stupid thing - is that Kel is still too mature for her age at the beginning. In particular, her crush. She's eleven/twelve, she hasn't been socialized for this type of behavior, and it does not seem
Dichotomy Girl
2nd Read: 7/21/2015
Original Read: 11/13/2012
Amy
Page by Tamora Pierce Review

For those of you who haven’t read my review of First Test you can find it here

Heads up because this is not a 'real' review, it’s just me gushing over one of my favorite books because I love this series!

This is one of those perfect sequels that give you everything you could ever ask for from an author. Keladry of Mindelan is now a page, having proven herself to Lord Wyldon and being allowed to stay and train for her Knighthood after her unfair probation. The book detai
Kathy Davie
Second in the Protector of the Small fantasy series for children revolving around Kel of Mindelan, only the second girl to want to become a knight of Tortall.

My Take
We get all the rest of the years Kel spends as a page in this one story. She matures and has all the complications which that entails including coping with falling in love with Neal and some of her school friends starting to see her in a more romantic vein.

Kel continues to set the moral tone with support from her friends. Well, those
Stephanie Jobe
Kel’s three years as a page fly by in this volume. Where previous heroines did much with natural ability Kel’s success comes more from her determination. Kel is not the only one whose growth you watch, of course there are her fellow pages, but some of the most powerful changes are in the two friends introduced at the opening of the book, Lalasa and Jump. Kel makes her way over hurdles as a page, a young woman and as someone afraid of heights. In many books this kind of time passage would make me ...more
Kathleen
I continue to love how hard Kel has to work to earn her place and prove that she is as good as any boy. In her drive to protect those that need it, she acquires a maid and a dog. The maid gets self defense lessons while the dog proves to be quite able to defend Kel. It is all to the good. I also really like that Kel's weakness is a very realistic fear of heights. The precipitating incident with her brother also explains her dislike of bullies, all of which comes to a head in this book. I enjoyed ...more
Tonileg
Second book in the Lady Knight Quartet where we live through Kel's second through fourth (and last) year as a Page in the capital of Tortall.
Kel still has a tough time proving herself to the other male pages and instructors, but it is a bit easier because she has a good entourage of friends. She is also growing up and becoming a woman which only annoys her as she is working so hard to become the best. Kel is obviously the best but because of her upbringing of modesty and silence, she doesn't eve
Lena
Mar 10, 2014 Lena rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tortall fans
Alright Tamora high fives back to you I definitely enjoyed this one better than First Test.
The humor is back! I really love the humor in the Tortall books. Light passes between the pages that make me laugh out loud. It's so easy and natural, too!
Now, there are some crazy happenings in this book alright! Much more eventful than the first. There are a whole lot of characters and Tamora did a better job of weaving them meaningfully into the story. I MEAN THE DEATH OF A CERTAIN IMPERIAL PRINCESS?!?!
Fantasy Literature
Keladry of Mindelin (or "Kel" to her friends ) has completed her first year of training to be a knight, and conquered the unfair probation that the training-master Wyldon inflicted on her. Now she hopes she can finally get on with her life-long dream of following in Lady-Knight Alanna's footsteps, and take the next step in becoming a knight of Tortall.

But things are never as easy as that, and there are still those among her who are determined to see her fail. Yet, as in her first year, Kel is he
Tulip Springrose
I enjoyed this installment for two reasons: More scenes with NEAL, and the scenes between Lalasa and Kel about puberty, and normalizing it for the younger readers, I thought that was lovely. (SPOILERS ahead!)

Aside from all of that, I still don't like Keladry, or think she's heroic at all, even in the scene with Lalasa and the tower.

Keladry's apporach to everything is very one-track minded, follow the book, and very rule and law oriented. She's never CREATIVE or even just flexible about anything,
Lea Bourg'
May 28, 2015 Lea Bourg' rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lea by: Asm63
Shelves: must-read
A second book AWESOME !!
Despite the trials and the opinion of everyone, Keladry is finally a page and after the holiday, she is back to continue her training. But if Keladry stands out for her coolness and her abilities, the danger is never far away for the future first girl knight ...
The author's style is still great (full of humor, adventure, thrills ... I love it ><), the universe is still as intriguing as ever and the plot and subplots are also very exciting (the suspense in the end is
Ariana
This was yet another enjoyable book in the Protector of the Small series. I didn't enjoy it as much as the first book, but it was still a good read and it wasn't boring at any point in the story. I won't talk about the world and the characters because I've already discussed that in my review of the first book, so my review of this novel will be mostly about the plot.

This story is where we truly see how Kel develops her sense of justice and need to protect those who can't protect themselves. Lala
Wealhtheow
Kel continues training to be a knight. She faces sexism from her fellow nobles and danger from the kingdom's enemies.

Kel goes through puberty (at 12, which seems early for her time period) and immediately starts being interesting to boys--and gets interested right back. I wish we'd gotten more of her training, which is the most interesting part of these books to me. I also wish Kel was a little less perfect.
Catherine Thompson
Page continues the story of Keladry of Mindelan. Having successfully completed her first year, Kel returns to Corus to continue her training. She has her friends and supporters, but still there are many who wish to see her fail. She takes on a maid, Lalasa; over the three years covered in the book, Kel teaches Lalasa how to defend herself and brings the older girl out of her shell. Kel also has to contend with growing into a woman amongst all the boys. But in the end, it's not the big examinatio ...more
Renee
The last three years just flew by, full of struggles and challenges and some odd things. But Keladry has proven herself once again...

Page follows the last three years of Kel's time as, well a page, as the name suggests. She is no longer on probation and has gained the trust and respect of many of her fellow pages.

Kel really starts coming into her own in this book. The training gets hard, her skills are put to more and more difficult tests, and changes are happening with her own body that she ha
Kjirstin
A continuation of Kel's years (2-4) as a page in training to be a knight. She works through the challenges of being a girl in a boys' world, and takes on a series of new charges to protect, and as in the book before, it's her willingness to work hard and her straightforward honesty that keep her going. The dilemma that she's placed in at the end of the story is a very good capstone to the book as a whole -- she has to decide between two equally terrible outcomes and then follow her own understan ...more
Gail
This books shows how strength and determination can get you through. I thought how she protected her maid from the advances of other men--- How she gave up her chance at the tests, to go after and protect her dog and maid was a very good example of how more important people are than tests. I thought how she was willing to redo the 4 years of training was a good example of her incredible integrity. She didn't argue, she didn't complain, she didn't blame her tardiness on anyone - in fact she hadn' ...more
Dee
Having passed a probationary year Kel is a proper page, undergoing the four (well, three now) years before becoming a squire. So obviously we cover a lot of ground in this entry. I adore the minutiae, the special exercises, the bigotry, the class divide, the animals, the newcomers, it's all great. And the penultimate event, well, of course such a scheme would occur, it makes perfect sense in the behaviour of Kel's detractors.

As for early puberty, well, I know the pains of it myself. To those wh
Loren Weaver
Page is the second book in the Protector of the Small series by Tamora Pierce.

Kel, Neal, and the others are back. Against all the odds, Kel made it to her second year as a page. She's faced with new hardships as she and Lord Wyldon come to an unspoken understanding.

Kel also has decided not to let bullies rule the castle, and she's going to do everything she can to stop it. Her friend circle expands, and she finds that nothing else is more important than her studies and her friends.

Kel really gr
Casey
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • Crown Duel (Crown & Court #1-2)
  • Wizards at War (Young Wizards, #8)
  • The Waterless Sea (The Chanters of Tremaris, #2)
  • Rise of a Hero (The Farsala Trilogy, #2)
  • Firebirds Rising: An Anthology of Original Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Page (Tamora Pierce Novel)
  • Wolf Star (Claidi Journals #2)
  • Arrow's Fall (Heralds of Valdemar, #3)
  • Half-Human
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join gro
More about Tamora Pierce...

Protector of the Small (4 books)
  • First Test (Protector of the Small, #1)
  • Squire (Protector of the Small, #3)
  • Lady Knight (Protector of the Small, #4)
Alanna: The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness, #1) Lioness Rampant (Song of the Lioness, #4) In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the Lioness, #2) The Woman Who Rides Like a Man (Song of the Lioness, #3) Wild Magic (Immortals, #1)

“I suppose he could have changed," Neal said dryly. "I myself have noticed my growing resemblance to a daffodil." The other pages snorted.

Kel eyed her friend. "You do look yellow around the edges," she told him, her face quite serious. "I hadn’t wanted to bring it up."

"We daffodils like to have things brought up," Neal said, slinging an arm around her shoulders. "It reminds us of spring.”
454 likes
“A friend had commented once that Neal had a gift for making someone want to punch him just for saying hello.” 362 likes