Start by marking “Witch Hunt” as Want to Read:
Witch Hunt

Witch Hunt (Ophelia & Abby Mystery #4)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  1,460 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Small-town librarian Ophelia Jensen is finally starting to embrace her lot as one of the "chosen"—a psychic and folk magick practitioner, a.k.a. a witch. Expert loving guidance from her magickally adept grandmother Abby helps—and adopting Tink, an exceptionally talented teenage medium, has given Ophelia's life new purpose . . . until a brutal murder clouds the sunshine of ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published May 29th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Witch Hunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witch Hunt

Angie Lisle
Shirley Damsgaard has carved a new niche in the market: Appalachian Paranormal Fiction! Being a West Virginia gal, I love how Appalachia figures into the books without all the negative stereotyping that usually goes along with it!

I always have problems getting started with Shirley Damsgaard's books. But once I make it past the first couple of chapters, I fall in love with the characters again (and again). I am sucked in by the storyline and I have a very hard time putting the book down.

I love
Sfdreams
I'm liking this series more and more. Ophelia is becoming more likeable as the series goes on, becoming more and more outgoing. I'm really glad that Tink is a regular character now...but when will her friend the Native American shaman Walking come to visit?

I absolutely LOVE Abby!! The best thing for Ophelia is to become more like her grandmother. It was interesting to meet Ophelia's mother as well in this book.

I'm vicariously enjoying watching Ophelia struggle with becoming a mom to a teenager a
Fanficfan44
This is the 4th book in the Ophelia and Abby Mystery series. I am not a big reader of paranormal cozies, but I really enjoy this series. Mainly due to the character of Ophelia, I like her a great deal. She has shown tremendous growth over the span of the four books so far in the series. In the beginning, she was very untrusting and closed off from everyone around her. Over the course of time she has opened up to more people and relaxed her rigid outlook somewhat, fostered a child, and has come i ...more
Rosey
Ophelia brought Tink home (from book 3) and now has a thirteen year old girl to take of. It is fun to watch her try and be a good mother. A biker gang has moved into town and the majority of the residence don't like it. One is murdered and Ophelia is warned to stay out of it by multiple groups. Well, she just can't do that. Oh and Comacho is in Iraq. I feel we will never see him again and that makes me sad :(.

Kitty
This one was much better than the last. Ophelia was less annoying this time around. She still made some mistakes, but she didn't get on my nerves like the last book. Biker gangs have infiltrated our sleepy little Iowa town, and of course, Ophelia ends up in the middle of another murder investigation.
Cher
no surprises for me in this mystery, and I continue to find the main character far too fusty
Tresa da BookNerdette
Jacki
Once again Ophelia Jensen finds herself discovering a dead body. Well technically it was her best friend Darci finding the body, by Ophelia was with her.

This time, her wise grandmother, Abby, insists she keep her nose out of the case, as a rough motorcycle gang heads takes up residence in Summerset, but the top suspect is Darci's cousin. What's a girl to do? But her life on the line and figure out the truth of course.

With psyhic abilities, a disgruntled grandmother, a ghost, and outlaw bikers, O
C.
I gobble this series, partly from familiarity and because this is truly a unique storyline. A likeable Grandmother is a herb and energy healer, teaching her Granddaughter. Occult front covers misrepresent gentle, positive pages because Abby and Ophelia are witches in the folk medicine sense. I was new to the witch theme and found Shirley Damsgaard's books a light, benign introduction. This title wasn't any more dynamic than investigating a biker gang but is a worthwhile mystery with one expected ...more
Irena
I love cozy mysteries as much as the next person, but when the main character starts acting as if she doesn't have a brain, then they are not so enjoyable. I could say that Ophelia is very judgemental and full of herself, but I won't.

Darci's cousin Becca came from California to celebrate Darci's birthday. The town is full of bikers. A bank accountant committed suicide. One of the bikers was found dead in Darci's house with Becca holding the bloody knife. Oh, and the teenager Ophelia adopted is h
Shala Howell
Either Ophelia really is, as she herself says late in the book, really dense for a psychic or Damsgaard just isn't that great with the subtle. By page 24 I'd figured out half the murder team, although Ophelia herself was blindsided by the revelation that this particular guy was a baddie hundreds of pages later. By page 98, it was really clear that Ophelia's nomination for the other half of the team wasn't in fact a bad guy at all (although again it took Ophelia a hundred pages or so to catch up) ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Ophelia Jensen, Foster Mother of a Medium, Tink and Granddaughter of an Appalachian Witch (Psychic Wise woman,) Abby is coming into her own psychically. When Ophelia's assistant at the library, Darcie needs her help, she defies Abby to immerse herself in a biker's murder.

Abby can only sense fear and is unable to back Ophelia in this latest case. Meanwhile Tink may be messing in areas that are dark and should be left alone.

This book really was about control. Control of their personal lives and co
Vickie
There's trouble brewing in Ophelia's neck of Iowa. A motorcycle gang has moved in and the cousin of Ophelia's best friend Darci has been accused of murdering one the gang. She can't remember a thing, but was found in a compromising situation. It's up to Ophelia to help clear the cousin's name.

There's a plethora of schtuff going on in this one: murder, Ouija boards, spirits, outlaw motorcycle gang and one of the gang in particular, Cobra, has pegged Ophelia to intimidate.

I enjoyed this fast mov
Margaret
I am dithering over whether two or three stars for my rating. I liked it enough to read it, but did not think it was great. I seem to be rating things lower than others are. So she gets three stars.
Hazel
By now I'm really familiar with Damsgaard's storytelling format. But I'm still fascinated with the characters. Ophelia is still stubborn & dense but loyal to her friends & protective of her family. The more I read about Abby the more I like her as a character. She must be based on a person as she seems very realistic. Ophelia is less endearing which I find a little surprising since readers can get turned off by a protagonist that's not likeable. Darci is a hoot & Tink is quickly show ...more
Kelly Russell
Another good story in the series, a few good twists and turns, although I am starting to figure out the ending halfway through. Will wait a few books to finish the series. Well written and enjoyable
Linda
I missed the title before this one and have to get it pronto. This is an excellent series. Ophelia and her grandmother Abby are good witches who use their psychic talents to help people. The series is very tastefully done and I really enjoy it. In this one, a motorcycle gang comes to Ophelia's quiet little Iowa town and Ophelia gets nothing but bad vibes. When one ugly gang member is murdered and her friend Darci's cousin Becca is accused of the murder, Ophelia gets involved in yet another case. ...more
Nell
I'd give this one 2 1/2 **. Ophelia's alternately ignoring and exploiting her abilities has become tiresome. New characters are not likable and key ones poorly developed. (view spoiler) It becomes obvious to the reader who the bad guys are long before Ophelia figures it out. The ghost who wants Ophelia t ...more
Kellie
Maybe it's just me, but I found this to be the most unexciting, boring Abby and Ophelia mystery of all. Either I'm getting really good at solving these things, or they are getting too predictable. I just figured it all out way too early and way too easily. Danny, Pete and his wife, the ghost, everything! I also didn't like the ending; I thought there should have been more dialogue or interaction or something between Ophelia and "Cobra" at the end. I really don't like the addition of Tink to the ...more
DK Hoffman
A nice cozy, paranormal mystery. I liked the characters and the town. Had a great twist at the end.
Still loving this series with Book 4. This time, while trying to help Tink, Ophelia's foster daughter you meet in book 3, Ophelia tries to deal with a new motorcycle bar and the people it attracts as well as helping Darci prove her cousin didn't murder one of the bikers. There are the usual twists and turns, Ophelia gets into trouble as always.

The characters are devloped a little more in this book, as Ophelia is learning to trust and appreciate her gift, which I liked. The end was somewhat predi
Deirdre
Ophelia Jensen juggles her job as librarian and her life-path of witch. Ophelia has adopted Tink a gifted teenage medium, and then a co-worker's cousin is implicated in a murder of a biker. The bikers are an outlaw gang determined to get their own way, Ophelia is determined to sort things out.

It's a fun series, nothing deep, and the bikers are a little over-cliched but still entertaining.
Lisa
I enjoyed this book, even though it is the fourth book in the series, it stood alone just fine. I enjoyed the characters, although for a witch, Ophelia was not very "smart" when it comes to paranormal activities. I mean if you live with a medium, wouldn't you expect to have a ghost around? Anyway, I liked this book and will seek out the rest of the series to read.
Terri
I struggled to finish this book. Ophelia's lack of perception and passive nature are beginning to wear on me, and the clues as to who the murderer is were really heavy handed. For a psychic, Ophelia is incredibly dense and 4 books in, I would expect her to have grown up some. I may go back and read more of these later, but it is definitely time for a break.
Nikki
These are easy readers - brain candy - but fun. Ok, the books are starting to annoy me. I suppose while I was originally caught up in a book where all of the main characters are female, with an easy read and an interesting story line, I am over it. I dislike that the women solve their mysteries through the use of gifts instead of their skills and intellect.
Jan
First of the series that I have read although it is #4 of the Ophelia and Abby mysteries. Ophelia, a small-town libriarian, and step-mom of Tink, a teen-age medium, is just coming into her own as both a reluctant witch and a detective. Outlaw bikers in town and in the past are bringing trouble and murder to the quiet town.

Willing to read more.
Melissa
Ophelia is helping her best friend Darci free her cousin from a murder charge that she might or might not committed. But with a biker gang roming the streets causing fires and intimdating people, Ophelia's temper flares. Tank is settling into small town life and is having a bit of trouble at school.

Good read. Wonderful characters a nice light read.
Diane ~Firefly~
Wow, the clues were so noticeable, they might as well have been in bold print, not that they seemed to help Ophelia much. I don't remember the previous books being so obvious, nor Abby being so clueless. The story was ok. I definitely like the addition of Tink, I just hope the mysterious are a bit more mysterious in the next books.
Joyce
Ophelia Jensen is finally starting to embrace her lot as one of the chosen. Expert guidance from her magically adept grandmother Abby helps, and adopting Tink, a talented teenage medium, has given Ophelia's life new purpose--until a brutal murder takes place and a cousin of Ophelia's best friend is implicated.
Sheila
This was the first book by Shirley Damsgaard that I have ever read. I found that the author really kept the story flowing. Loved the humor and events with a teenager that I could relate to. Also really loved the ending. All in all I felt a very good book even if I did figure out the killers.
  • Where There's a Witch (A Bewitching Mystery, #5)
  • A Cast-Off Coven (A Witchcraft Mystery, #2)
  • Death by Diamonds (A Vintage Magic Mystery #3)
  • Tombs of Endearment (Pepper Martin #3)
  • The Ghost and the Femme Fatale (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #4)
  • Ghouls Gone Wild (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #4)
  • Devil May Ride (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #2)
  • Murder Under a Mystic Moon (A Chintz 'n China Mystery, #3)
  • Tempest in the Tea Leaves (A Fortune Teller Mystery, #1)
I’ve read many bios that start with the words “I wanted to be a writer all of my life and wrote my first story at the age of five.” I honestly can’t say that’s true for me—at the age of five, as an only child growing up on a farm, my career goal was to be a princess. Unfortunately, all those positions happened to be filled, so I followed the path so many other women have traveled—marriage, childre ...more
More about Shirley Damsgaard...
Witch Way to Murder (Ophelia & Abby, #1) Charmed to Death (Ophelia & Abby,  #2) The Trouble With Witches (Ophelia & Abby, #3) The Witch Is Dead (Ophelia & Abby, #5) The Witch's Grave (Ophelia & Abby, #6)