Start by marking “Dangerous Undertaking” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Undertaking

Dangerous Undertaking (Buryin' Barry Mystery #1)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Barry Clayton has a job he doesn't want. When his father became stricken with Alzheimer's, Barry left the Charlotte police force for the small mountain community of Gainesboro, North Carolina, where his family runs the local funeral home. "Buryin' Barry" reluctantly assumed the mantle of town undertaker, trying to fit his life into this somber profession. Almost at once it ...more
Published May 27th 2010 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Undertaking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dangerous Undertaking

Jane Pope
For a first book, this was surprisingly good. I had read his Sam Blackman series and enjoyed them. The Sam Blackman series is my favorite because of the literary tie in, but this is good enough to make me want to read the other "burying Barry" books.
LJ
DANGEROUS UNDERTAKING –VG
Mark de Castrique – 1st book
It’s not often two people are shot and Appalachian policeman-turned-funeral director Barry Clayton is injured during a funeral.

This is an very good story of mountaineers versus profiteers set in Gainesboro, North Carolina. De Castrique conveys a wonderful sense of the location and the people, along with a good, suspenseful mystery. I would definitely read another by this author.
Cathy Cole
First Line: Crab Apple Valley Baptist Church sat high on a grassy knoll overseeing the sinners scattered along the valley floor.

Former Charlotte policeman Barry Clayton has a new job that he doesn't want. With his father caught in the talons of Alzheimer's, Barry quits the Charlotte police force and returns to the small mountain community of Gainesboro, North Carolina, to take over the role of town undertaker.

Almost immediately, his job turns deadly. At the graveside service for an elderly woman
Jan C
Former policeman (possibly detective) has to come home to western North Carolina to run the family business - undertaking - because his father has Alzheimer's. His girlfriend is a doctor and he gives her plenty of business.

Thought there were a few lulls here. It started out pretty good with Barry getting shot at a burial because the shooter wants Barry to give the deceased a message. Okay, the shooter isn't playing with a full deck.

There are a number of shootings in this book, plus the EPA com
Elizabeth
Burying Barry Clayron, who was thus nick-named in high school because his family were the local undertakers, left his job in the Charlotte, North Carolina Police Department to return home to help his father. Having been diagnosed with Alzeimer's Barry's dad could no longer keep on working. Despite his lack of enthusiasm for the profession Barry has picked up the slack and is helping his mother and uncle when he almost has the need for a coffin himself as he barely dodges bullets at a funeral. Ba ...more
BJ
This was my first time reading this author. Author lives in North Carolina and the book is set in small-town North Carolina. Main character, Barry returns home to run his father's funeral business, after his father is diagnosed with Alzheimer Disease. While working a graveside service, a family member of the deceased shows up and shoots 2 of his family members and Barry and the story rocks on from there. Barry, as an ex-Charlotte, N.C. police officer gets involved helping the sheriff with his in ...more
Karen
Good first book, the character development was very interesting in the beginning, the way the story was put together and ended not quite as good, but you could tell that the author had known people in the hills of the southern US, and in the acknowledgements he mentions that his father had been an undertaker, so he knew the business part, too. Main character, Barry Clayton, is a thirty something police detective who has had to go back to his home town to be involved in the family funeral home bu ...more
Caroline
May 27, 2010 Caroline rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Mark de Castrique writes an excellent story about a man who leaves his job with the police department to come back to his home town and help his uncle and mother run their funeral parlor because his father has Alzheimers. There are four books in this series, which go along the lines of the four seasons and the progression is beautiful. How he deals with solving mysteries and his father's progressing disease is well-written and very moving. Once you've read this series (preferably in order), hurr ...more
Jan
3 1/2 stars. First I want to say that I read this off and on and it made it a bit hard to follow. So I had to go back a few times which is always tedious. But that was not the book's fault. The mystery is very good. I really liked Barry and the other characters in the book. I thought the depiction of North Carolina hill folks was good if a bit over the top. I did get the feeling I was right there, and I have relatives who fit into this category. So I am planning to read the next book because I t ...more
Marci
Oct 24, 2012 Marci added it
Recommends it for: Linda Cooper
The first of 5 books in the Buryin' Barry series. Barry has moved back to his hometown from the big city of Charlotte when his dad develops Alzheimer's his dreams of joining the FBI are put on hold. His dad has been the long time funeral director in town. When two family members are shot at a burial Barry gets pulled into the investigation of why they were shot.
Kellie
This book was OK. I enjoyed the choice of setting and the humoresque chatter amongst the mountain folk. There wasn’t much suspense when at last the mystery was revealed. Your typical big business and greed. This book was recommended to me by one of the ladies in bookclub.
Megan
Despite the 'Buryin' Barry' tag which I found a little offputting, this book was beautifully written and rich with narrative and character detail - a well plotted mystery and definitely worth a read. I'm impressed by this author!
Amanda
This was a very solid first book. Liked the story and the mystery, Buryin' Barry was a relatable protagonist and believable sleuth. Will continue this series with anticipation of some good readin'!
Kitty Tomlinson
Barry come home from a police job in the city to his rural North Carolina home to take over his family's funeral home when his dad develops Alzheimer's.
Robbie
I've now read three of de Castrique's books and have been pleased with them all.
Joy
Too many cliches to be enjoyable. Don't bother waisting your time on this mystery.
Mendy
Barry is an awesome main character. I've already started book #2. :O)
Debbie Maskus
Read for Mystery Book Club 2/2006
Dean Brodhag
The first of the Burying Barry series.
Mary G.
It was a fun debut novel.
Jane(Janelba)
Oct 04, 2011 Jane(Janelba) marked it as wishlist
North Carolina
Lili
Lili marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Deb Van iderstine
Deb Van iderstine marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Sherrell C
Sherrell C marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Kimmy Yates
Kimmy Yates marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • A Case of Imagination (Madeline Maclin #1)
  • Red, Green, or Murder (Posadas County Mystery, #7)
  • Stealing the Dragon
  • Vineyard Fear (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #4)
  • Progressive Dinner Deadly (A Myrtle Clover Mystery #3)
  • September Fair (Murder-by-Month Mystery #5)
  • The Heat of the Moon (Rachel Goddard Mystery #1)
  • Footnote To Murder
  • 65 Proof
  • Embrace the Grim Reaper (Grim Reaper Mystery, #1)
  • Zoned for Murder
  • Uncaged
  • Cooking the Books (Sloane Templeton Mysteries #1)
  • Saints Preserve Us
  • Murder At The Rocks (An Alistair Fitzjohn Mystery - Book 2)
  • Dead End
  • Art's Blood (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #2)
  • Murder Passes the Buck (Gertie Johnson, #1)
Mark de Castrique is an author, playwright, public speaker, and television producer living in Charlotte.

Through his company MARK et al., he writes, shoots, and edits projects for a variety of clients.

His work has earned CLIO, TELLY, and EMMY awards.

Mark has scripted stories aired on PBS and commercial network affiliates, as well as created video presentations for major corporations.
More about Mark de Castrique...

Buryin' Barry Mystery (5 books)
  • Grave Undertaking (Buryin' Barry, #2)
  • Foolish Undertaking (Buryin' Barry, #3)
  • Final Undertaking (Buryin' Barry, #4)
  • Fatal Undertaking (Buryin' Barry, #5)
Blackman's Coffin (Sam Blackman, #1) The 13th Target The Sandburg Connection (Sam Blackman, #3) Fitzgerald Ruse (Sam Blackman, #2) Grave Undertaking (Buryin' Barry, #2)