Start by marking “The Heart of the Artist: A Character-Building Guide for You and Your Ministry Team” as Want to Read:

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  324 ratings  ·  31 reviews
This book explores issues of character facing Christian artists who want to use their gifts more effectively in church ministry.
Published May 18th 2009 by Zondervan (first published May 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Heart of the Artist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart of the Artist

Adriane Devries
Rory Noland’s The Heart of the Artist is a devotional book I’d highly recommend every artistic church ministry read as a group, be it a drama ministry, a worship band, dancing, decorating the sanctuary, creating visual graphics for sermons, etc.. In its pages, I found relief and also conviction as an artistic temperament growing in Christ as I realized I am not wholly unique; we have challenges and gifts as a group in pursuit of artistic passions while in relationship with the Lord. Noland delve ...more
Carre Gardner
The thing about this book is that the content is great but there's just...too much of it. It's like every Christian self-help book you've ever read contained between 2 covers, with the twist that it appeals to artists. It just felt way too overwhelming, a bit like having a boulder dropped in your lap.

Truthfully, halfway through the book, I started skimming and gleaned more from it this way (I think) than I would have if I'd read every word. I love Noland's appeal to those with artistic temperam
This was, evidently, one of the first books to tackle the special concerns of those involved in arts ministries and, as such, it covers a lot of ground. Rory Noland spent many years as the Music Director of Willow Creek, a church renowned for its revolutionary cultivation of the arts, so this is written from an authoritative perspective steeped in long experience. Specifically designed for small group study, it is still a useful read for individuals who are involved in such ministries. Ministry ...more
Excellent book for discipling the artist whether that person is working in a church or not. My only fault is that it takes forever to get through to the end. A good book for reading and reflecting on slowly.
A great book that talks about people with an artistic temperament and the struggles that they can have as they try and serve God.
I have read this book twice now, which is why I gave it 5 stars. It must be a book that I want to read over and over again to get 5 stars. It is geared toward the artists in the church: dancer, singer, worship leader, actor, etc... It is a great book for your artists at church and I think it should be a requirement to read because it is so darn good! It was required for us to read during one of our worship classes at school and I am so thankful we did because it was an eye opener and I loved rea ...more
AMAZING. I have read and quoted this book more times than I can count. It's a little ridiculous. For believers with creative personalities, not just musicians or worship pastors, it's a HUGE asset! My favorite bit in this book is the accountability for the creative believer to still produce the fruit of the spirit and not hide behind our creative nature as an excuse for bad-behavior. LOVE.
Many good thoughts and reminders here. I could have done with shorter, less detailed examples and fewer words in general. This could be a good resource for worship teams and other artistic types in the church. 3 1/2 stars really.

I had to take my time to read this book. I like to get right into books, read them and move on. But this book isn't like that and I appreciate that. It's dense but written in common language. It's given me a lot of food for thought and it's one of those books I'll definitely be revisiting. I enjoyed this book and have walked away with much to put into practice and be aware of.
Todd Jenkins
Aug 01, 2008 Todd Jenkins rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: worship musicians and all Christian artists
Along with Steve Turner's "Imagine", this is highly recommended reading for Christian artists of all walks. Noland shares a number of examples of ministerial and artistic weakness and how they affect the church and its members. He then outlines the various ways in which these issues can be overcome so that all involved can serve God better.
Jamie Smetzer
Right Brained? Wanting to have some light shine down of perspective of worship from the heart of an artist? This book is filled with advice, and stories of people with the gifts to express worship to God in a particular way to bring Glory to Him.
Michael Tyler
While there is solid conventional biblical provocation and encouragement, there is a slight lack of current application. I loved many pages as I started reading, but the relevance wained. I want to say thank you for what I gleaned. M
Jan 22, 2008 Bob rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who considers themselves an artist and a Christian.
One of the most useful books I've found about Christian artists and their approach to life, faith, and art. A must read for anyone who considers themselves an artist (musician, designer, painter, writer, etc) and a Christian.
This book is fine, but the author seems to repeat himself. This book could be half the size it is. That is my one gripe. However, there are some worthwhile items in there that a Christian drama team could use.
I read this book several years ago, but I really, really want to read it again. It has made a huge impact on the way I live life and how I've learned to manage (somewhat) my perfectionism.
Wes Hunter
Jul 27, 2007 Wes Hunter rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: christians/artists
this book is okay. it basically talking about balancing the artist and the worshipper in the worship leader, but its not too deep. its probably worth a read, but its close to not being.
Excellent Read, suggest if for all who are responsible for the music/arts ministry of a church or any organization that wants to use the best volunteer talent available.
Eric Shin
An honest look at Christians with strong artistic qualities. I found this book to be extremely helpful and useful when I used to lead the Youth Praise Ministry.
One of my favorites! This book is so meaningful to me as a singer. Also, the first study I did with the Cape Cod Church worship team.

A challenge, an encouragement, and a comfort for the worship artist (and those who love them!). Wonderful book!
Wayne Dalziel
Outstanding, a definite read for anyone who had a desire to be genuine in their worship and lifestyle to God.
Pete Bartel
Good book about inner attitudes for worship (and other kinds of) artists. From Willow Creek.
Alondra Rena
Good it for ministry! It helped me to understand many things about myself
Did not hold my interest. Did not give me any applicable information.
Excellent and life changing, a must-read for the Christian artist!
wow... i'm still trying to absorve the lessons from this book.
Tapped into who I am and challenged me all at once.
Rick Huemmer
Great book for worship teams and leaders.
Jason Mccutcheon
A must read for any Christian artist of any kind.
Mark Chaffee
Bootcamp for anyone in worship ministry
  • The Air I Breathe: Worship as a Way of Life
  • The Unquenchable Worshipper: Coming Back to the Heart of Worship
  • Exploring Worship: A Practical Guide to Praise & Worship
  • Engaging with God: A Biblical Theology of Worship
  • Unceasing Worship: Biblical Perspectives on Worship and the Arts
  • Addicted to Mediocrity (Revised Edition): Contemporary Christians and the Arts
  • Worship Matters: Leading Others to Encounter the Greatness of God
  • Extravagant Worship: Holy, Holy, Holy Is the Lord God Almighty Who Was and Is, and Is to Come
  • Intimacy Ignited: Conversations Couple to Couple: Fire Up Your Sex Life with the Song of Solomon
  • Engaging God's World: A Christian Vision of Faith, Learning, and Living
  • Reaching Out Without Dumbing Down: A Theology of Worship for This Urgent Time
  • Then Sings My Soul: 150 of the World's Greatest Hymn Stories
  • Worship Old and New
  • Worship by the Book
  • The Power of Words and the Wonder of God
  • Know What You Believe: Connecting Faith and Truth
  • Breath for the Bones: Art, Imagination, and Spirit: Reflections on Creativity and Faith
  • How To Worship Jesus Christ
The Worshiping Artist: Equipping You and Your Ministry Team to Lead Others in Worship Worship on Earth as It Is in Heaven: Exploring Worship as a Spiritual Discipline Thriving as an Artist in the Church: Hope and Help for You and Your Ministry Team The Heart of the Artist by Noland, Rory unknown Edition [Paperback(1999)] El corazón de un artista: Una guía que fortalecerá su carácter y el de su equipo ministerial

“Frederick Buechner said, “The place God calls you is the place where your deep gladness and the world’s deep hunger meet.”7” 1 likes
“They are trying to be significant in their universe—trying to mean something more than a random collision of molecules. Though modern philosophy tells them they are nothing, their hearts tell them something else. Because their minds cannot fathom what their hearts know, they feel the weight of the God-placed burden. Art often seems irrational, because the heart is reaching beyond the mind.” 0 likes