Start by marking “Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser” as Want to Read:
Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser

Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser (comics))

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  1,946 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Since their first appearance in 1939, Fritz Leiber’s Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser have ranked among the most beloved characters in fantasy. Their rollicking adventures in the fantastic land of Nehwon have influenced the work of some of the best in modern fantasy, including Michael Moorcock, Terry Pratchett and countless others.
Published March 27th 2007 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser

J.G. Keely
A lot of fun, much like the stories that inspired them. Though Chaykin's pacing is sometimes choppy, his use of the language is delightfully in-character. It's unfortunate that the series didn't catch on, it could have been a more humorous compliment to the many successful Conan comics.

As usual, Mignola is a delight, though it's amusing to see him at a much earlier stage, where his lines are more sketchy and his angular shading has that definitively early nineties 'edgy' look so favored in comic
Eric
lankhmer

thieves

rogues

4 1/4 stars
Craig
Nov 24, 2013 Craig rated it really liked it
This isn't a graphic novel, but rather adaptations of seven stories from Fritz Leiber's series about Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser. The classic series is arguably the second most influential in the sword-and-sorcery fantasy genre (after Conan of course), and are richly told, subtle tales. Sheelba of the Eyeless Face and Ningauble of the Seven Eyes have got to be the best-named patron wizards ever! Adapting the original classics to this form is a daunting undertaking, but Chaykin does pretty well fo ...more
DeAnna Knippling
Dec 17, 2013 DeAnna Knippling rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I wanted to LOVE this book.

Here's Fritz Lieber:

"Sundered from us by the gulfs of time and stranger dimensions dreams the ancient world of Nehwon with its towers and skulls and jewels, its swords and sorceries."

Here's Howard Chaykin:

[No setup whatsoever.]

It's like that Lieber delights; Chaykin strips everything down to bare bones. It misseth the point, and not even the Mignola illustrations can do anything with it.
J.M.
Mar 06, 2012 J.M. rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, fantasy
The artwork by Mike Mignola was very good, but Howard Chaykin's adaptation of Leiber is just way too choppy. Art: good. Writing: Nonsensical. Not good.

I can only give this two stars.
Eric
Feb 16, 2011 Eric rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
This was really fun. I'd never heard of Fafhrd or the Gray Mouser, but I had heard of Lanhkmar (a fantasy version of New York where most of their adventures take place) somewhere distantly in the past. I can see how having a duo to act as foils for each other can really work. Although the differences between the two were more in their backgrounds. They both arrived at the same place in life in very different ways and found kindred spirits in each other.

The art I actually like more that some of M
Sep 23, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it
Didn't realize this was a reappearance of two characters from previous works by Fritz Leiber. With that said, one can completely read and enjoy this book without previous knowledge about these two guys. The trouble they get into is page-turning and Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser are a couple of characters that work really well together in kind of a love-hate-partner-competition comedic relationship. I picked it up because of Mike Mignola's art, the guy behind Hellboy, I admire and enjoy his work and ...more
Carl Nelson
Feb 25, 2011 Carl Nelson rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The artwork and dialog really brings Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser to life. It's very well-written and a fun adaptation of the series. It lacks the depth of the stories (of course, as any comic adaptation must) but the fun, adventure, and urbane wit carries through. (I wasn't a huge fan of the "Lean Times in Lankhmar" arc, but that's a tough story to adapt.)

It really makes me want to go read the Leiber stories again, they are some of my favorite "sword & sorcery" adventures, and the graphic nov
Paul
Nov 08, 2012 Paul rated it really liked it
Characters created by Fritz Lieber, story by Howard Chaykin and art by Mike Mignola... how could I possibly NOT like this graphic novel?

I had actually read, oh so many years ago, Chaykin's original take on the characters in DC Comics' Sword of Sorcery and had liked it even then. So yeah, this book was a giddy little school girl feeling kinda book for me.

It desperately needs a sequel though.
Asher J. Klassen
Oct 21, 2013 Asher J. Klassen rated it it was amazing
It had been far to long since I'd read any good Sword & Sorcery when I picked this volume up at Hemingway's Books in Abbotsford, BC. Mignola's art caught my eye, as it always does. I bought it on a whim, took it home, and eventually sat down with a glass of mulled wine and Thanksgiving leftovers to read it.

I loved it.

It doesn't read like a modern comic; I think that's part of what endeared it to me. This is old-school Sword & Sorcery to the core, the kind of fantasy that has been replace
Matt Sadorf
Dec 28, 2012 Matt Sadorf rated it really liked it
Fritz Leiber's stories, Howard Chaykin's adaptations, and Mike Midnola's art, that's a winning combination right there.

These are fun and interesting tales that are accompanied by great art, and I really enjoyed reading them. I wasn't sure what to expect as I don't know that much about the source material, but when Mignola is involved, I always want to check it out. At the same time, Chaykin is a revered name in the comic world, so I knew there was a good chance I would enjoy all of this, and I w
Matthew DeCostanza
Aug 01, 2010 Matthew DeCostanza rated it really liked it
Chaykin's stilted dialogue is mind-numbing (although I can't entirely say that this quality is far-removed from the source material), but this anthology still stands as an apt abbreviation/introduction to the Leiber series. Obvious highlight: Mignola's and Williamson's fantastic artwork. It makes one regret the aesthetic shift Mignola underwent for the Hellboy series; the watercolor-like designs blend his standard engraving style with an art nouveau influence with a richness that makes Seed of D ...more
Macha
Jun 20, 2012 Macha rated it really liked it
great job, as befits the best sword & sorcery series ever. the original stories by Fritz Leiber are artfully rendered - and there's a lot going on in Leiber to capture. the best bromance ever conveys the joy they both take in their unlikely association. and the early Mike Mignola art is very nice - bit of an oriental fantasy feel to it, like maybe Groo drawn with sharper edges, not quite what you might expect from the author of the sometimes very stark Hellboy series. a labour of love, this ...more
Feather Mista
Menos mal que este tomo trae uno de los relatos originales al final y me lo leí primero, así no siento esa culpa tonta que me da siempre que leo adaptaciones antes que el material original. Ni el cuento original ni las adaptaciones me volaron la cabeza, por cierto, pero tienen momentos muy altos, que alguien con más poder de observación que yo se dedicará a resaltar en algún momento.
Matt
Feb 12, 2010 Matt rated it it was amazing
Really fun stuff. Chaykin's view of the original material as fantasy-set noir really shines through, and is great stuff. Plus, BIG SECRET, I kinda like Mike Mignola's older stuff better than his current. In some ways. Weird, huh?
Charles
Sep 20, 2009 Charles rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Although I enjoyed the art, the stories didn't make any sense. I think the issue is that Leiber's works are too complicated to be translated easily into graphic novel format. Too much had to be left out and the result was a kind of hack and slash approach to the stories.
Daniel
Jul 22, 2010 Daniel rated it it was amazing
An easy ★★★★★ from me.
Darnell
Sep 30, 2015 Darnell rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Very conventional episodic sword and sorcery, hence I'm not a fair reviewer.
Ron
Feb 25, 2017 Ron rated it liked it
I read all the stories in high school plus many other works by Leiber, but my initial reaction to this graphic collection (the first story) left me cold. I loved the artwork, but put it down and didn't pick it up again for over a year, but I was impressed with it when I picked it up again.
Helmut
Apr 14, 2013 Helmut rated it liked it
Eff--ay--eff--aitch--arr--dee
Der Hauptgrund, sich diese Adaption Leibers Geschichten zuzulegen, ist natürlich Mignolas Artwork. Als Zwischenstufe zwischen dem mittelmäßigen Ironwolf: Fires of the Revolution und dem herausragenden, brillianten, perfekten und bestem Comicbuch aller Zeiten, Hellboy, erkennt man bereits Mignolas Vorliebe für Schattenwürfe, holzschnittartige Flächen und Kanten, sowie seine Abneigung, Füße zu zeichnen. Viele Ideen, die Hellboy so auszeichnen, sind hier bereits im Ansa
John
Jul 02, 2013 John rated it liked it
Shelves: sf, graphic-novel
It's probably been 15 or 20 years since I read the Fritz Leiber books on which this graphic novel adaptation is based. I didn't have a very well developed critical faculty then, but I remember enjoying them a great deal, although I have a sense that the series seemed to me a bit weaker as it went on. That seems to be the case here as well, where as the books go on motives grow murky, friendships strained, and events increasingly bizarre.

But you know, that's ok. Because this is still a well writt
Luis Diaz
Jan 25, 2016 Luis Diaz rated it really liked it
I've had this book (Darkhorse) and it's original incarnation (Epic Comics) for some years and finally got around to reading it. It was during a time in the 80s-90s that Mignola drew and let others ink his work. He did several miniseries which were usually painted in some form under the inks of another inker. I think the formats were great and Mignola was slightly more representational yet still uniquely Mignola. This story was handsomely colored by Sherlyn Van Valnenburgh and inked by Al William ...more
Jukka Kuva
Feb 12, 2013 Jukka Kuva rated it liked it
Fafhrd and Gray Mouser (don't ask me how to pronounce Fafhrd) is one of the comics Mignola worked on before gaining fame with Hellboy. It's title characters are two swashbucklers whose various adventures are depicted in this four issue comic adaptation of a book. Fafhrd is sometimes a lot like Hellboy and the former has probably been an influence for the latter. The introduction is quite hasty but it's enough. After that the first few stories are quite good but the last ones lack intencity and e ...more
The_Mad_Swede
Oct 18, 2008 The_Mad_Swede rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy, 2008
Friz Leiber's sword and sorcery duo of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser are classics within the fantasy genre in their own right and Howard Chaykin's and Mike Mignola's adaptations of seven of Leiber's stories are certainly enjoyable reading.

While not the most awe inspiring work of either of these comics legends, Chaykin does a good job scripting these tales and Mignola seems to enjoy drawing these, at times somewhat wacky, adventures. Perhaps he's not cutting loose as much as he does on Hellboy but t
Я.
Dec 29, 2015 Я. rated it liked it
I don't generally go much for the sword and sorcery subset of fantasy, it's usually a mite too neanderthal in its views of gender, sex, and race--and make no mistake that this is in the usual sexist vein--but the stories are solid. It's funny, there's a distinct flavoring of the also notoriously sexist hardboiled detective genre to this. Despite this caveat, I was still charmed.

The writing is choppy, and the tales could use room to breathe, but the overall effect is fun and imaginative. The dial
Ben
May 21, 2012 Ben rated it liked it
The artwork and the progression were a little hard to follow sometimes, but visually quite appealing. The story definitely read like an early century fantasy novel, which is what they said they were going for, so, job well done, a la Conan, Perelandra and even Elric, and I'm sure many others that I have yet to read. I will probably read more of these, though I wasn't blown away. It was mostly just... familiar. Which is good. Just not GREAT.
Damian
Aug 13, 2009 Damian rated it liked it
A relatively charming but incoherent graphic novel. This book is a series of adaptations of Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd/Grey Mouser stories. However, spaced out as they are, they don't provide much of a through line for a reader approaching the subject for the first time. So while the worlds are exotic (and very unique in character) and the dialog witty, with plenty of period flourish, what you get out of it in the end is not story but mood.

Another good quality: it is very short.
Walter
Dec 05, 2007 Walter rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of strange adventure
Mignola does a great job bringing the adventures of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser to the graphic novel format. The artwork is quality and captures the "feel" of the mythical world of Nehwon perfectly. The images well match the mental images I created while reading Fritz Leiber's stories.

On the whole, I am very happy to see a recent published work dealing with these characters. Maybe this is a Renaissance for Leiber! He certainly deserves to be remembered and read.
Keith Davis
Jan 17, 2010 Keith Davis rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories are among the absolute best of the Fantasy Adventure genre and although they are not widely read today they have had a huge influence on fantasy writing and on fantasy gaming. Chaykin here takes some of the best stories and adapts them well to the graphic medium, while Hell Boy creator Mike Mignola delvers some of the cleanest and clearest work of his career on the art.
Jeff
Jul 30, 2015 Jeff rated it it was ok
A respectful retelling of the plots of Leiber's classic early stories. While the art is appropriately moody, and the storylines are true to the originals, the stories lose quite a lot in the transition to the fast visual format of a graphic novel. This volume reinforced my view that it is the language of Leiber's work that is its core treasure.
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 7: Garden of Souls (B.P.R.D., #7)
  • Conan, Vol. 1: The Frost Giant's Daughter and Other Stories
  • Swords in the Mist (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #3)
  • The Savage Sword of Conan, Volume 2
  • Conan, Vol. 5: Rogues in the House and Other Stories

Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser (comics) (5 books)
  • Ill Met in Lankhmar (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser #1)
  • The Circle Curse/The Howling Tower (Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser 2)
  • Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser - volume 3