Start by marking “Wrecker” as Want to Read:

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  296 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Jane thought a loveless marriage was as bad as it could get. Steve thought life was perfect with a hired man to do his chores. They were both wrong. Jane Havelock is coping a day at a time in a bad marriage when her husband Steve hires handyman Rob Manteo for a never-ending series of odd jobs around the house. At first Jane is repulsed by Manteo, a huge, muscular man with ...more
Published (first published January 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Wrecker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wrecker

Feb 27, 2011 Al added it
Shelves: kindle, read-2011
My favorite fiction genre is the thriller so this book was a perfect fit for my tastes. It has all the elements you look for in a thriller - conflict, mystery, and an intense thrilling conclusion, hence the name.

The character of Jane was someone I immediately connected with and liked. Her husband Steve was irritating and unlikeable in the beginning and got worse as the story progressed, becoming a full-fledged … I’m not sure I should use the word I want here … suffice it to say I disliked him mo
I absolutely did not see this one coming. What a wild ride of twists and turns and general insanity. The story line for this book is really wonderful. Fairly unique and it opens up at a nice pace, I didn't feel rushed and I didn't feel like he was dragging it out. The pacing is perfection.

It falls a little left of believability. The author had me completely on his side until a final "reveal" and then he kind of lost me. I felt slightly cheated because there really was no foreshadowing there, it
Larry Enright
Simple enough. You need work done around the house. You bump into a guy at Home Depot who does it cheap. You hire him. Three simple things – who could imagine that they would have anything to do with a convoluted mystery that has wrapped itself around the Havelock family and begins to strangle the life out of it. But it seems like every time their new found worker Manteo does something wonderful at the house, a piece of their life unravels somewhere else. His simple manners and straightforward a ...more
Jennifer D.
This was a great book and it surpassed any expectations I may have had for it. It is written from the different perspectives of a few of the characters, which I thought was great. When it would switch from one person to the next I would yell, "Oh come on! I want to know what happens with this person!" Of course, I had to continue reading to get there and then would yell the same thing once the next change occurred.

Overall, I thought it was a great and original story. I highly recommend this book
Okay, I admitted it once before and I'll do it again. I have a thing for mysteries. It has to be my favorite genre, so whenever I see a book with a bit of a mystery in it, I have to read it. I stumbled across this book while looking for a different title. Of course, I had to find out what happened to Jane and her family. When I started reading this book, it didn't seem like it would be a mystery of any kind. Truthfully, I thought I had been duped into buying a romance. Pushing myself to keep rea ...more
Starla B
This was a good story. I absolutely hated the husband character, which is the only reason I gave it only 3 stars. There were twists and turns I definitely didn't expect.
Brenda Roberson
This novel starts with a typical overworked couple: Jane, a nurse and mom to a 4 yr old daughter named Allie and Steve, her husband, who is a computer programmer. Steve takes his family for granted. He mostly ignores his daughter and decides, on his own, that there will be no more children.

For Steve, things start going wrong at work when he is up for a promotion. Steve blames everyone but himself and eventually starts taking his frustrations out on his wife. Then he loses his job completely. But
Surprisingly, I enjoyed the book. And, at 89cts only....
Pat aka Tygyr
This novel starts out slowly with a typical overworked couple. Jane is a nurse and mom to a 4 yr old daughter named Allie. Jane's husband Steve is a computer programmer. He takes his wife for granted, mostly ignores his daughter and decides unilaterally that there will be no more children. Eddie is Steve's best friend and serves as Steve's conscience. Eddie tells Steve he needs to appreciate his wife and treat her better or he'll lose her. Steve isn't paying attention. Lots of things are going v ...more
Bob W
This is a good one to read.
Grace Krispy
I enjoyed this book. There were some neat connections that tied the story together and made for an exciting plot. These connections result in a satisfying, if a little unrealistic, ending. The final twist is definitely unexpected, and I'm not sure how I felt about it. I found it interesting, and it just added that much more to the ending, but the way it was written made it seem a little outlandish. I think it would have gone over better had the reveal been a little more subtle.

I really liked th
Michele Weiner
Disclaimer This review may contain spoilers

This is the story of Wrecker, a toddler whose mother, Lisa Fay, fell into the drug culture and went to prison, leaving him at the mercy of the system. The system called Lisa Fay's sister, Meg. They didn't know that Meg had suffered an event and was incapacitated mentally. Her loyal husband, Len, felt obligated to take Wrecker home to his isolated home on the Mattole River, in the redwood forests and within sight of the ocean. He couldn't keep Wrecker, t
Storyline: I feel like I hide behind my puns and so I’m not going to use one with Dave Conifer’s Wrecker. It doesn’t need one. So there. (Of course, I couldn’t think of one, but that’s not the point.) What the book needs is…well…nothing. It’s pretty damned good, if I do say so myself.

Jane and Steve are trapped in a bland, loveless marriage. She’s a nurse and he’s a computer programmer. Together, they have an average life, a decent home and a 4 year old daughter, Allie, and…a whole lotta nothing
Matt Schiariti
I discovered this book from one of those Amazon '100 thrillers under a dollar!!' emails a while back so I figured what the hey, I'd give it a shot. I'm always looking for some new people to read so I figured it couldn't hurt. I'm glad I did because I found it to be a pretty entertaining page turner of a thriller. It also doesn't hurt that a lot of the locations are familiar to me as part of the story takes place within miles of where I actually live! Come to find out Dave Conifer lives in my nec ...more
D.P. Prior

Wrecker was a foray outside my usual reading genre, but I decided to give it a go based on the reviews and the striking cover.

The writing style was fluid and the word choice economical. This made it easy to get straight into the story. The principle characters, Steve and Jane, were well sketched (Jane in particular in the early stages of the book). Their dialogue was naturalistic and revealed heaps about their personalities.

Steve came across as self-absorbed and rather loathsome, which was key t

I'm not sure how to feel about this book. It read like a lifetime movie. The beginning was a little slow, and I figured out some major plot points wayyyy before the main character was getting there. I spent a long time wondering why Jane couldn't get it together.

I also have trouble because I liked the bad guy for the majority of the book. I didn't want him to be the bad guy.

Also, the husband was an awful person and then suddenly at the end was all lovey and stuff. I didn't get that part.

I plowed through this book not expecting much. Honestly, this story telegraphs it's punches so far ahead that you really only need to read the first couple of chapters to figure out how it will develop.
After I finished, I realized that I didn't like any of the characters very much.
Jane is remarkably passive about a lot of jerky husband's behavior, which makes me wonder why she's so pro-active in other ways.
Anyways, the conclusion would've been fine except for a weird extra twist thrown in. Which
DeAnn Burnett
This book will keep you on edge.

I have never read such a long book in such a short period of time. while on the he edge of my seat I could not stop turning the pages. The twists and turns in this book are fascinating. It will definitely make you think twice about doing wrong to others. You just never know how bad it will effect them or what they may try to do to you in return.
The ultimate thriller!
Jen - At Random
This is one of those books you want to read in one sitting because you know something good is right around the corner. I, unfortunately, wasn't able to do that. I read half during my read-a-thon but I had to fit in the second half where I could. I was even tempted to read at red lights (I managed to resist though) because the action had started and it was so hard to put down!

Overall, it wasn't quite as much of a thriller as I expected but the story was interesting and unique enough that it didn
K.R. Bankston
Found this book to be interesting as far as holding my attention. The plot was a bit murky at times, and some of the characters stretched a bit for credibility. I would however recommend it as a quick, enjoyable read. The end began to drag a bit for me, but even that was forgiveable. I do like the non-fairytale ending of the book, a welcome change of pace. All in all, I don't regret purchasing it or reading it.
a "Thriller" with no thrill. no suspense very easy to figure out every time he introduces a new "twist" it is so obvious of what will happen. The language was atrociousness! I always heard that fowl language made a person sound stupid and I say after reading this book David conifer must be the biggest idiot around! Was not worth the price I paid $0.00 I had it removed from my kindle.
Ty Hutchinson
Sharon Smith
This was pretty good for a free book. For once I found myself kind of rooting for the bad guy a little bit. He was a very sympathetic character. Jane was a great heroine. Steve was a horrible person, nothing about him was likable. I suppose that was why I wanted Creedmoor to finish him off!
It was great! When I first read it I thought something totally different was going to happen at the end. I was so blown away. I usually read horror but this was just a mind play! I love the characters I really got into Jane!
Interesting book. Good plot, believable characters. Once the cat is out of the bag, the story became a bit predictable, but still a good read. I did like the way it all came together in the end.
An implausible story; elemental vocabulary; terrible writing; and apparently nonexistent editing. Not even sure why I finished it. Paid 99 cents for it and feel like I got ripped off.
Started out great. Seemed that the writing devolved as the story went on. The ending was completely implausible and totally disappointing.
Nice start, but this book quickly became a totally unbelievable story. I mean a real, " Oh, come on now!!!!!" Really a disappointment!
The Free Book Cha...: Wrecker, by Dave Conifer 2 12 Dec 02, 2012 07:34PM
Wrecker: From Sweet Romance to Thriller 1 11 Apr 10, 2011 01:24PM
  • Irrefutable
  • Subculture
  • The Devil's Game
  • Implant
  • Night Corridor
  • Man of Wax (Man of Wax Trilogy, #1)
  • The Prophet Motive
  • The Abigail Affair
  • Accountable to None (Eviscerating the Snake, #1)
  • The Covert Element (James Becker, #3)
  • Hybrid
  • Blown Away
  • The Donzerly Light
  • Blood of My Brother
  • Three Days to Die (Aaron Quinn thriller series #1)
  • Three To Get Deadly
  • Coombe's Wood
  • Dark Visions (Sarah Roberts, #1)