Start by marking “Princess in Waiting (The Princess Diaries, #4)” as Want to Read:
Princess in Waiting (The Princess Diaries, #4)

Princess in Waiting (The Princess Diaries #4)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  28,888 ratings  ·  554 reviews
Never before has the world seen such a Princess.

Nor have her own subjects, for that matter. But Genovian politics are nothing next to Mia's real troubles. Between canceled dates with her long-sought-after royal consort, a second semester of the dreaded Algebra, more princess lessons from Grandmere, and the inability to stop gnawing on her fingernails, isn't there anything
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published September 6th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Princess in Waiting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Princess in Waiting

Jessica (priceiswong)
I had to give this one a four instead of a 5 like the others.. Mia was SO whiney.. She was in Europe yet l she could think about was missing Michael.. That part didn't really bug me. BUT once she got home, she started just acting crazy. First, she goes through that phase where she reads Jane Eyre and thinks she should ignore Michael and basically play hard to get. Okay girl, I just read pages after pages of you missing him and now you're NOT going to call him back? Are you kidding me? I'm glad h ...more
Rachel Brand
Jan 13, 2008 Rachel Brand rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to read a book which they don't have to concentrate on
Shelves: teen-ya, 2003, meg-cabot
Sonja - Intellectual Badass
description
Because even a princess has to have fun sometimes.

'The Princess Diaries: Mia Goes Fourth' is a short but delightful read. I loved reading this novel and I'm looking forward to picking up the next book in the series! ^ ^

On a whole another note: I love Chris Pine in Princess Diaries 2 (the movie) :D
description
Julia
This book is probably the worst princess diaries book I've ever read. It is okay but the entire story is about Mia in Genovia (the small European country she will one day rule) and she is missing Micheal her boy friend. It is very annoying to here her constantly talk about Micheal and if he is going to break up with her or not. After I read this book I decided to take a break from the Princess Diaries books because I just couldn't take it! Mia was becoming too Micheal-obsessed and the books were ...more
Sabine
Mia has the boy of her dreams, finally! But how fair is it that she is whisked off to Genovia for several weeks before they can even have their first official date? And what with trying to help boost Genovia's infrastructure income, trying to find time to text her beloved, and worrying about the perfect present for his birthday, this Christmas vacation is anything but restful.
After reading the first book in this series I went to the library and just happened to see the rest of the books (11 of t
Melissa
This may be the straw. The final one. The whine factor in this book is so rediculously high I may just skip to when Mia is supposed to be older to continue with this series.

Mia spends most of the entire book (which only spans a few months) being paranoid or a big mouth.

I wonder if I was this annoying when I was 14. If I was I certainly wouldn't have written it down for anyone to find and read. Who goes into their boyfriend's bathroom to for a half hour afterwards to write about their amazing d
Jill
1. So far, the most amusing of the Princess Diary series. It's written in short journal style form where you are basically reading Princess Mia's personal diary.

1a. If you haven't figured it out yet, once I read one book in the series, I have to read the entire series.

2. I like that someone managed to write a teen series without explicit sex and use of profanity. I'm fine with explicit sex and profanity, and I know that's part of the world today, but come on. It doesn't always have to be used. (
Candi
Oh man, I wasn't sure if this series could continue after such a great ending to book #3, but I have now found one of my favorite quotes ever:

"There was a DJ who stayed up for eleven days straight, the longest recorded period of time anyone has ever gone without sleep, and he started playing nothing by Phil Collins, and that's how they knew it was time to call the ambulance."

It's like me and Meg Cabot are besties, because Phil Collins is THE WORST.

Ah crap, now I'm starting to write things like M
kari
While I liked seeing bits of Mia's time in Genovia, most of this book is taken up with thoughts of Michael. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but her lying to him about something very important, well, that doesn't start out a romance too well.
Still, it's a fun read and I enjoy Mia's voice.
Maddie
I just had to read something bubbly in between reading 'Heir of Fire' by Sarah J Maas. These are quite addicting!
Safa
4.5 stars. I just got SO annoyed at Mia. She literally has 0% confidence in herself..
Amaranthos
Siento que los libros de la saga, son como capítulos de una serie de televisión. Pasa mucho pero no pasa nada y todo podría resumirse en veintidós minutos (¿eso duran?).
Al final del libro, siento unas ganas locas de escribir la reseña, pero cuando al fin tengo el teclado en frente de mí, no se me ocurre que escribir. Básicamente el libro, cuenta la historia de Mía, y su preocupación por que Michael la deje. Las primeras páginas transcurren en Genovia. Y las últimas, en la primera semana de regre
Michelle
Oh no. This might be the worst book of the series (so far).

Book 3 ended with Mia and Michael finally getting together. I then spent most of Book 4 wondering what the hell was wrong with Michael to end up with Mia. Mia spends most of Book 4 wondering how they ended up together too. As Mia constantly says, Michael is a senior with early admission to an Ivy League. He has his own webzine, his hobby is computers, etc. Basically he's cute, smart, and interesting. And as Mia whines, she's too tall an
Howdy YAL
To see full binge for books 4, 41/3, 4 1/2, and 5 click here.

Groans.

Do I have to?

If I was reviewing books when Princess in Waiting came out, I’d probably give up on The Princess Diaries series. This is my least favorite book in the series and I really think it was a waste of space-if you would’ve added some of Valentine Princess to it I think it would’ve been a stronger book.

The good thing about this particular installment, was I sort of knew what I was getting into when I reread it, so I didn’t
Maria
I really liked the series up to this book. Mia is terribly annoying. She moans the whole book about how Michael is going to break up with her. Why is this such a big problem to just say that she cannot come to a date because of the family commitments? And am I the only one who thinks that it is wrong for 17 years old to date 14 years old?
Kristine
This is a fun book--really different to see things from the 14-year-old perspective again! I really enjoyed this book-- once I could forget about the way these characters were portrayed in the movie.
Jenne

I think this is where I gave up on the series.
Rebecca
I wasn’t as keen on this one as I have been on the other books in the series. Mostly because in this one Mia was so angsty and whiny that it got on my nerves a little.
I thought it was funny that they made reference to a movie that was made about Princess Mia and her life, which of course there is. Those parts made me laugh a lot.
I have to say that I don’t really see what’s so appealing about Michael. At the moment he seems kind of boring and generic but I’m hoping that maybe he’ll develop furthe
Marianne
I can't... Really bring myself to like this book.

So basically the 259 pages of the book focus on Mia whining about how she can't go on a date with her boyfriend Michael, the boy she's been in love with for 8 years... I would've put up with this, if there was a significant other plot present somewhere in the book. There wasn't. What did the book amount to in the end? What was the message that we received at the end? That it's okay to whine and mope for about 100 pages because you can't go on a d
Anna
ynopsis
Mia and Michael are finally an item, but Grandmere seems to have other plans. Just before the happy couple's first hot date, an unmissable royal engagement turns up. Could it be that Michael doesn't measure up and that (please not!) Grandmere's got someone else in mind for Princess Amelia Mignonette Grimaldi Thermopolis Renaldo?

From the Back Cover
Mia's back from her first royal trip to Genovia. Now she's ready for what's REALLY important: her love life. Mia and Michael are finally an item
Monica
Mia thought she could handle her formal introduction to the Genovian populace. She didn't expect to cause a rift in the political structuer when she suggested that parking meters would provide a great deal of revenue for the tourist destination. Calamity has ensued, though, and despite her best efforts she feels as if she's sinking more than swimming. On top of all that, she's finally gotten together with Michael, the object of her desire for, well, her entire life. Can you be someone's girlfrie ...more
Karen
I loved the references to the movie that was made of Mia's life in this movie because it was obvious that it was referring to the actual movie made from the books (which I watched again last night!). Too funny. I wish Mia would learn to be a little more assertive and trustful of herself (and those around her), but she is still really young (only 14). But at least she figured out what her secret talent is!
Lisa
Mia is now dating Michael and dealing with being a Princess, as well. I love the part where she makes a detailed list of how to take care of her cat, Fat Louie. Fat Louie in general is my favourite part of the Princess Diaries books.

Anyway, there's also lots of talk of Jane Eyre and cute lists in this book. Quick and cute read.
Sara
I tried this one on audiobook, but Anne Hathaway spoiled me! It's not that the new girl isn't nice, but in my head, she's just not Mia. Instead, I have gotten the further adventures of the princess out of the library...

I actually DID wind up on the audiobook for this one. And the book didn't let down or disappoint.
Melanie
It wasn't Anne Hathaway reading this time! This narrator has a slightly nasal voice that grated on me when I first started listening, especially since I had finished book three only a few minutes beforehand, so the differences between the voices were more acute. Still, a light, entertaining read.
Skylar
This book was Mostly about Mia going to Genovia, and Mia's relationship with Michel. Some thoughts that I had about this book were that the while I was reading, to me the book felt rushed. By saying that, I mean it seemed like the author rushed to get over in some parts of the story. Not the whole story but there were like one to three it seemed like places where it seemed that she rushed through the story. For example when Mia was at the ball, I understand that Mia wanted to get out of there so ...more
Erin (NY)
Not as good as the first 3, and is a bit repetitive (Mia still has all the same obsessions and keeps writing about the same thing!) but still pretty entertaining to read. I will probably end up reading the rest of the books, but just to find out what happens.
Shalin
Can I say I love Micheal more than Mia? But Mia is always so humorous... I like her. I really like how her concerns and thoughts are real. I still find the book refreshing to read though it's not my first. I'm still kept at the edge of my toes.
Meg Cabot Fan Club: Princess in Waiting 1 3 Oct 31, 2013 02:10PM
  • Away Laughing on a Fast Camel (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #5)
  • The Princess & the Pauper
  • Dates, Double Dates and Big, Big Trouble (Ally's World, #2)
  • Tall Cool One (A-List, #4)
  • Losing the Plot (Angels Unlimited, #2)
  • Forever in Blue: The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood (Sisterhood, #4)
  • Spells & Sleeping Bags (Magic in Manhattan, #3)
  • Alice the Brave (Alice, #7)
  • Don't You Forget About Me (Gossip Girl, #11)
  • Family Affairs (Secrets of My Hollywood Life, #3)
  • The Worry Website
  • Mates, Dates, and Sequin Smiles (Mates, Dates #7)

More about Meg Cabot...

The Princess Diaries (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Princess Diaries (The Princess Diaries, #1)
  • Princess in the Spotlight (The Princess Diaries, #2)
  • Princess in Love (The Princess Diaries, #3)
  • Princess in Pink (The Princess Diaries, #5)
  • Princess in Training (The Princess Diaries, #6)
  • Party Princess (The Princess Diaries, #7)
  • Princess on the Brink (The Princess Diaries, #8)
  • Princess Mia (The Princess Diaries, #9)
  • Forever Princess (The Princess Diaries, #10)
  • Royal Wedding: A Princess Diaries Novel
The Princess Diaries (The Princess Diaries, #1) Size 12 Is Not Fat (Heather Wells, #1) All-American Girl (All-American Girl, #1) Shadowland (The Mediator, #1) Queen of Babble (Queen of Babble, #1)

“French: why does this language even exist? Everyone there speaks english anyway.” 36 likes
“I realized Michael was right. I mean, I am always writing in this journal. And I do compose a lot of poetry, and write a lot of notes and emails and stuff. I mean, I feel like I am always writing. I do it so much, I never even thought about it as a talent. It's just something I do all the time, like breathing.” 16 likes