Start by marking “The House on Garibaldi Street” as Want to Read:

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  321 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
This is the true story of the kidnapping of Adolf Eichmann in Argentina by the Mossad, Israel's secret intelligence service. In a daring operation, a team of elite Mossad agents, under the personal command of Isser Harel, kidnapped Eichmann and smuggled him to Israel. Eichmann was found guilty of genocide and was executed two years later. This is Harel's account, revised a ...more
Published May 31st 1997 by Frank Cass Publishers (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The House on Garibaldi Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House on Garibaldi Street

Chariots on the Highway by Limor MoyalA Damaged Mirror by Yael ShaharWith Love, The Argentina Family by Mirta Ines TruppJackboot Britain by Daniel S. FletcherThe House on Garibaldi Street by Isser Harel
JEWISH ISSUES
5th out of 61 books — 22 voters
Eichmann in Jerusalem by Hannah ArendtA Woman in Berlin by AnonymousThe Reawakening by Primo LeviSavage Continent by Keith LoweBlowback by Christopher Simpson
After the Fall of the Third Reich (Non Fiction)
7th out of 145 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

La Mala  ✌
Desafío de lectura 2016: Un libro que no hayas leído desde la primaria/secundaria

Lo leí cuando tenía doce años y nunca lo he vuelto a leer desde entonces (porque, lamentablemente para mí, los de Louisa May Alcott, Agatha Christie y Stephen King que tengo los re contra re leí en todos estos años, así que calculo que no entran en la cat.)

Es el único que se me ocurrió que no haya releído de grande y es una buena excusa para leerlo de nuevo.

Un libro excelente. Si mal no recuerdo, la primera non-fi
Celeste Miller
Boy howdy, was this ever a boring book. But how can a book about Nazi hunting be boring, you ask? Trust me, it can. Flat writing (seriously, my middle school diary entries about what I got for back-to-school shopping are more interesting), zero characterization, and a "hunt" that's about as fast-paced as watching paint dry. My 84-year-old demented grandmother has craftier moves than Eichmann did in Buenos Aires. And though it takes place in Buenos-effing-Aires, it might as well have transpired i ...more
David
Apr 05, 2016 David rated it it was amazing
I sincerely enjoyed this book. I thought it was exciting and entertaining and gave a real insight in the challengers intelligence agencies face. We are given a window in which to observe ingenuity and on the spot thinking to it's max. There is not just the element of excitement that makes this book compelling. There is also a sincere sense of justice. This is felt most prevalently when Harel describes how the criminal affected the lives of those involved in the case and their families. The relie ...more
Relstuart
This is the story of the capture of Adolf Eichmann in Argentina by Jewish agents as told by the operation leader.

Interesting how they heard about him being there from someone who told someone who told someone and it eventually got back to the people that could go get him.

One of the best parts about the way this story is told is how the author explains the personal connections between the agents history of harm from the efforts to exterminate them and Eichmann. Some of their stories were horrib
Amar Pai
Mar 09, 2012 Amar Pai rated it liked it
Not gonna win any literary awards, but this book delivers the goods as far as operational details of a high stakes espionage action (the abduction of Eichmann from Argentina to stand trial in Israel)

Harel methodically (some would say tediously) lays out all the planning that went into the operation, from the initial tip that led to Eichmann, to his identification, through his capture and retrieval. Lots of stuff to consider:

-establishment of safe houses
-document forgery (false passports etc)
-tai
Allan
Feb 26, 2014 Allan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
In 1960-61 I was in junior high and I did a school project consisting of cutting out newspaper articles and putting them in a current events scrapbook. Near the back I stuck in a clipping showing a picture of Adolph Eichmann sitting at his jail-house desk reading a pile of books . I'm looking at that picture now. I was aware of Nazi atrocities having read an article on them featured in one of my dad's True magazines. Isser Harel came face to face with the monster and rendered him to ultimate jus ...more
Dusan Makovsky
Jan 05, 2015 Dusan Makovsky rated it it was amazing
Bývalý šéf Mossadu vypráví o Eichmannově únosu z Argentiny. Není co vytknout.
Velvetink
Read a long time ago - inherited from mum's shelves.
Hanna Miley
Jan 04, 2014 Hanna Miley rated it it was amazing
The book was published by The Viking Press, NY in 1975 and describes events that took place in Buenos Aires, Argentina and Jerusalem in the 1960’s.

Why did I pick up this book?
Adolph Eichmann was responsible for the practical organization of the Holocaust and while I was researching for my memoir, A Garland for Ashes, World War II, the Holocaust, and One Jewish Survivor’s Long Journey to Forgiveness, I discovered that Adolph Eichmann visited Chelmno, the place where my parents died. He wanted to
JoséMaría BlancoWhite
This book, simply put, is the most exciting, fascinating, engrossing book I have ever read. Impossible to put down, and if so, to stop thinking about it. The most amazing thing is: It really happened; this is no fiction. It is the capture of the Nazi criminal Adolf Eichmann by the Mossad chief at the time in Argentina. It reads as a thriller book but it's all true.

From the planning of the coup, so to speak, to the final bringing to Israel in a regular civil airplane(¡!) it is short of amazing. T
John and Kris
Mar 15, 2010 John and Kris rated it really liked it
Adolf Eichmann, logistical architect of the Final Solution, proclaimed "I will leap into my grave laughing because the feeling that I have five million human beings on my conscience is for me a source of extraordinary satisfaction." In the immediate aftermath of the war Eichmann escaped from Europe and quietly settled in Nazi-friendly Buenos Aires, Argentina with his family.

His son, Klaus Eichmann, an obnoxious asshole would let slip too much to the wrong person while attempting to impress a gi
Natan
Mar 14, 2008 Natan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Isser Harel was head of the Mossad for many years, and stood at the head of the Mossad's most famous operation. Adolf Eichmann, responsible, among other things, for the slaughter of Hungarian Jewry was kidnapped in Argentina (notorious for hiding Nazis) and brought to trial in Israel. Naturally, he was found guilty and executed, the only death sentence ever handed out in Israel. The trial was a major turning point for Israeli society.
The book details the planning and execution of he kidnapping
Thing Two
This non-fiction account of the capture of Adolf Eichmann read like a report, which to some extent it was. It was written by the former head of Israel's Secret Service and detailed the events leading up to Eichmann's capture by Israeli Secret Servicemen in 1960. Eichmann was subsequently held hostage until a flight could be arranged to extradite him without the Argentine government, or any of Eichmann's friends and family, noticing. He flew from Argentina to Senegal to Israel May 21, 1960.

Having
Timothy Kisare
Jan 14, 2013 Timothy Kisare rated it really liked it
By: Isser Harel
Pages: 290

This fascinating book is the "first full account," replete with real names, of the capture of Adolf Eichmann (the architect of the "Final Solution to the Jewish Problem" for the Third Reich) in 1960. The book is a first person account by the former head of Israel's Secret Service who led this operation. The story is told in an amazing retelling, with the action building and building as you turn the page. The planning and attention to detail
Ann
Mar 04, 2009 Ann rated it really liked it
This fascinating book is the "first full account," replete with real names, of the capture of Adolf Eichmann (the architect of the "Final Solution to the Jewish Problem" for the Third Reich) in 1960. The book is a first person account by the former head of Israel's Secret Service who led this operation. The story is powerfully told, building and building. The planning and attention to detail were extraordinary. I found especially powerful the scene on the plane (covertly flying Eichmann from Bue ...more
Jodi
Jul 20, 2015 Jodi rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-irl
While Harel's style of writing isn't exactly enthralling, the content is interesting. After all, his expertise is "secret service" and not literature. Still worth the read, from an historical context. It made me think about how "normal" people carry out atrocities and how it would be easy for people to forget their deeds and have empathy for prisoners - something our country deals with constantly. Perpetrator vs victim rights.
Ruth
Oct 12, 2013 Ruth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
C1975 FWFTB: Eichmann, Brazil, capture, Buenos Aires, camps. If you have read a lot of books about the Second World War and the terrible accounts of some of the few survivors, it only seems right to try and learn more about the capture of some of the perpetrators. The persistence and drive of the author was the key ingredient in the eventual capture of Eichmann.You really could not have made this up and I am not surprised that a film was made based on this book. Harel was the head/deputy head of ...more
Holly
Dec 03, 2014 Holly rated it it was amazing
This is a riveting story of the capture of Adolf Eichmann and his secret removal from Argentina to Israel. The book is well written and keeps the reader totally involved. It's one of my favorite books.
Gabriel Salter
Isser Harel's account of the real-life capture of Adolf Eichmann is as gripping and fast-paced as any fictional spy thriller.
Mervi
May 16, 2016 Mervi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
A true thriller. AN excellent proof of Israel's intelligence brilliance.
Bart
Apr 01, 2009 Bart rated it liked it
This is an interesting story that goes on way too long. As an intelligence expert, multiple meetings at multiple hours in multiple Buenos Aires cafes is probably interesting stuff. For the average reader, though, it’s pretty dull. This book would be better if it were 50 pages shorter. Still, it’s a fascinating story that is part of the birth of a fascinating country.
Ariel Burbaickij
May 10, 2013 Ariel Burbaickij rated it really liked it
Do not expect the book to be THE COMPLETE TRUTH, of course, then it is fine. As time passes by, more and more questions appear about why Israel was very lenient towards other perpetrators (Kurt Beck, Walter Rauff) whom it easily could apprehend or why Eichmann did not touch on some sensitive topics of German-Israeli cooperation and was the price of this silence.
Mr. Crusader
Apr 10, 2010 Mr. Crusader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is absolutely amazing, especially for those of us who weren't even more in 1960, when one of the world's worst (if not worst) criminals, Adolf Eichmann, was captured in Argentina by the Israelis.

The book documents a very important historical mission. The writing is good, and the story is suspenseful.
Sam Norton
A very interesting look at the Israeli Security Service's surveillance and capture of Adolf Eichmann. Not always very well-written, and it really doesn't stand up to "Vengeance" in terms of entertainment. Nevertheless, an entertaining read, particularly for anyone interested in Israel's secret services.
Kim
Jan 27, 2010 Kim rated it really liked it
True story of the capture of Adolph Eichmann, the Nazi war criminal in Argentina. Very ingenious..both the way Eichmann eluded capture for so long and the plan for his capture. It was years in the making. What can I say? I am a history buff particularly when it comes to the Civil War and WWII.
Theodore
Jan 27, 2008 Theodore rated it it was amazing
I read the Cass version, which I note because it is first to use all/only real names and to explain the involvement of German authorities in Eichmann's capture, a role that had previously been minimized for diplomatic and political reasons.
wally
Sep 21, 2010 wally rated it really liked it
Shelves: harel
though i read this one years ago, the story-line is still fresh though details might be a bit foggy. that it is true, or based on true events, might have something to do with that. fascinating read. a good read.
Susan
Dec 18, 2010 Susan rated it it was amazing
One of my all time faves I have read many times. The true story of the capture of Adolf Eichmann by Israeli intelligence. It reads like a suspense novel and the fact it is all true makes it even better
Ellen Bonlender
May 18, 2013 Ellen Bonlender rated it it was ok
Interesting, although the spy activities have changed so much over the years! I pictured an NCIS episode, but without all the technology. However, knowing that it is a true story made an impact.
Audrey
May 24, 2011 Audrey rated it really liked it
A very detailed book. Perhaps a bit dry in that regard. The author takes great pains to show what great pains they went to to capture Adolf Eichmann for trial in Israel.
  • Hannah Senesh, Her Life and Diary
  • Spandau: The Secret Diaries
  • The Ultra Secret
  • Rickenbacker: An Autobiography
  • The Greatest Battle: Stalin, Hitler, and the Desperate Struggle for Moscow That Changed the Course of World War II
  • The Fiftieth Gate: A Journey Through Memory
  • The Killing of Reinhard Heydrich: The SS Butcher of Prague
  • A Soldier's Story
  • Bodyguard of Lies: The Extraordinary True Story Behind D-Day
  • Mengele: The Complete Story
  • Babi Yar: A Document in the Form of a Novel; New, Complete, Uncensored Version
  • O Jerusalem
Isser Harel was spymaster of the intelligence and the security services of Israel and the Director of the Mossad. In his capacity as Mossad director he oversaw the capture and covert transportation to Israel, of Holocaust organizer Adolf Eichmann.
More about Isser Harel...