Start by marking “The Song Of Homana (Chronicles of the Cheysuli #2)” as Want to Read:
The Song Of Homana (Chronicles of the Cheysuli #2)

The Song Of Homana (Chronicles of the Cheysuli #2)

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  1,506 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
For five long years the land of Homana had been strangling in the grasp of a usurper king--its people ravaged by strife, poverty and despair' its magical race, the Cheysuli, forced to flee or face extermination at the hands of their evil counterparts, the sorcerous Ilhini.

The time had come for Prince Carillon, Homana's rightful ruler to return from exile with his Cheysuli
Published October 16th 1987 by Corgi (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Song Of Homana, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Song Of Homana

Dragonflight by Anne McCaffreyArrows of the Queen by Mercedes LackeyThe Rowan by Anne McCaffreyThe Dolphins of Pern by Anne McCaffreyArrow's Flight by Mercedes Lackey
Telepathic Bonds
12th out of 156 books — 19 voters
Dragonsong by Anne McCaffreySongs from the Phenomenal Nothing by Steven LunaSong of Susannah by Stephen KingTailchaser's Song by Tad WilliamsSong of Solomon by Toni Morrison
Novels with the word Song in the Title
8th out of 116 books — 29 voters

More lists with this book...

Richard Houchin
Apr 24, 2008 Richard Houchin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, philosophy
The Chronicles of the Cheysuli series is the first fantasy epic I read. In fact, it's one of the few series I read repeatedly, likely due to my young age and limited literary horizons.

Nevertheless, these books shaped my first views on philosophy, religion, sexuality, racism, and sexism. The responsible way Roberson handles these issues is inspiring and commendable.

On returning to read these books in later years, some of the characters and plot devices appear hackneyed and cliched, and some of t
Jan 06, 2012 Nieva21 rated it liked it
There were a few engaging parts in this novel. Carillon's voice narrating the story was a switch from Alix's and took me a while to adjust to his perspective. Too many of the women, Alix, Electra, and Torrey were impregnated by Tynstar.

Some surface things change; Alix mostly accepts her heritage, Carillon grows older and becomes king, but no one ever fundamentally changes. Oh, except Finn, who by the second book finally stops trying to rape Alix. (What a terrible character! Even after she become
I rather struggled with this one and I don't know why. It's still a good book and I definitely enjoyed it, especially in the second half, but I got stuck for a while in the middle. I was enjoying it while I read it, but not rushing to pick it up again. Once I did settle back into it - which seemed to be helped by a bit of skipping ahead and then going back to read properly - I was very pleased to do so and got it finished in the last few days.

Like the other 70s and 80s books I've been rereading,
Wendy Ward
Sep 01, 2016 Wendy Ward rated it it was amazing
Carillon and Finn have returned to Homana after a five year exile to attempt to reclaim the throne taken from him by Bellam of Solinde and Tynstar of the Ihlini. To do so, Carillon and Finn must amass an army of both Homanans and Cheysuli, a difficult task, given the prejudices of both. Carillon must also save his sister and mother who are both held captive by Bellam, but he is given the opportunity when his soldiers capture Electra, Bellam's daughter and Tynstar's "light woman". Will Carillon a ...more
This second novel in Roberson’s Cheysuli Chronicles series is a lot stronger than the first (Shapechangers). The focus shifts from Alix to Carillon and it is through his eyes that this sequel unfolds. The pacing rushes past a few details, but overall this is an exciting novel and a much fuller one than its predecessor in the series. Tynstar’s villainy steals the show a bit and the scope of the setting widens with more descriptions of other lands in Roberson’s universe. The very memorable Electra ...more
Oct 08, 2016 Natasha rated it really liked it
The first book is tedious at best, but you have to read it to really appreciate how good the second book is. I don't know if I'll keep reading the series because I'm completely satisfied.
Knitwit Tarvin
Jun 02, 2012 Knitwit Tarvin rated it really liked it
Book 2 takes place from Carillon's point of view, and I really enjoyed the shift in perspective from Alix to Carillon. Finn remains one of my favorite characters, though I don't think I admired him as much when I was younger. Even though it has been over 10 years since I've read these books, some of the storylines are coming back to me as I'm reading. But it has been long enough, that I am enjoying the story once again. I wish I could get these on my nook, so I could recycle my old copies that a ...more
Sandy Millin
Jun 15, 2016 Sandy Millin rated it liked it
At first I wasn't sure whether I could be bothered to read this, as I've read a few same-y fantasy books this year, but by about 50 pages in I wanted to know what happened, and that kept me going until the end. There were some good twists and turns in the story, and the author chose not to describe some key events, but just to focus on the lead-up to them and the consequences, which was an interesting choice. An enjoyable read.
Kate Millin
May 03, 2016 Kate Millin rated it it was amazing
Carillon returns from exile with his Cheysuli right hand man with the aim of gathering supporters to help him regain his throne. Along the way he finds it hard to decide who he should trust, other than the men who were in captivity with him and his Cheysulis supporters. They all go through some difficult up times, especially when up against the Ileni sorcerer who has enraptured the current usurper King on the throne.
Jul 02, 2015 Sunsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dank des langen Wochenendes habe ich nicht lange für die 461 Seiten gebraucht. Das Buch konnte mich erneut fesseln und gefiel mir noch etwas besser als Buch 1 der Reihe.

Mehr könnt ihr in meinem Blog lesen: . Ich gebe 08/10 Punkte
Leslie Wiederspan
Mar 14, 2014 Leslie Wiederspan rated it really liked it
Great follow to a great first story! This one is from the viewpoint of Prince Carillion. Very fascinating story! Im looking forward to reading the third book to see who tells the story and what happens to the characters. Very sad ending though.
Nov 03, 2008 Dana rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I often think that the first book in this series was the best, but that's probably because I like Alix more than all her various male relatives. But this is still one of my favorite series from teenagerhood, so I'm enjoying rereading it.
Todd R
Mar 18, 2014 Todd R rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A very good series which I am re-reading after about 20 years. Good characters and loads of political and magical intrigue.
Jun 14, 2015 Gosia rated it it was amazing
Um... good... very good. The first one was better though. This one tells us more about Homanans. Necesarry for the whole picture.
Mar 20, 2011 Emily rated it liked it
I read this series when I was in high school and tried to re read it now. It wasn't nearly as engaging as I'd remembered, but the story was still fun. Don't think I'll pick up 3-8 quite yet.
Apr 07, 2010 secondwomn rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, sff, 2010
this one's from carillion's perspective. well-paced, lots of twists. his character development is a bit shallow, for all that he's the narrator. still lots to like about this series.
Mar 20, 2015 Alex rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
Again, a series I was completely hesitant to take on...specially after having loved the Dragonlance charcters so much...I never thought I would care again...but there you go. Great series.
April rated it liked it
May 14, 2012
Jesse Marbulcanti
Jesse Marbulcanti rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Susan rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2014
Whitney rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2011
George rated it really liked it
May 08, 2009
Megan rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2013
Angmclure rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2013
Kirsten Jones
Kirsten Jones rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2011
Lianne Pheno
Lianne Pheno rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2014
Charysjoy rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2010
Alli rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2015
Veronica rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2015
Trinitrit rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2013
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN 0886770572 2 9 Mar 22, 2015 09:21AM
  • The Horse Lord (Book of Years, # 1)
  • The Dragon Token (Dragon Star, #2)
  • Harp of Winds (Artefacts of Power, #2)
  • The Changeling (The Fey, #2)
  • Heritage and Exile (Darkover Omnibus, #1)
  • The Door into Sunset (Tale of the Five, #3)
  • New Moon (Oran, #1)
  • Shadow's Realm (Bifrost Guardians, #4)
  • The Warrior Lives (Guardians of the Flame #5)
  • The Timekeeper Conspiracy (Time Wars, #2)
  • The Thrall and the Dragon's Heart
  • The Harem of Aman Akbar
  • World Without End (Moontide and Magic Rise, #1)
Jennifer Mitchell Roberson O'Green is an author of fantasy and historical literature. Roberson has lived in Arizona since 1957. She grew up in Phoenix, but in 1999 relocated to Flagstaff. She obtained a Bachelor of Science in journalism from Northern Arizona University. Roberson had spent her final semester in England at the University of London. This enabled her to do indepth research at castles ...more
More about Jennifer Roberson...

Chronicles of the Cheysuli (8 books)
  • Shapechangers (Chronicles of the Cheysuli #1)
  • Legacy of the Sword (Chronicles of the Cheysuli #3)
  • Track of the White Wolf (Chronicles of the Cheysuli, #4)
  • A Pride of Princes (Chronicles of the Cheysuli #5)
  • Daughter of the Lion (Chronicles of the Cheysuli, #6)
  • Flight of the Raven (Chronicles of the Cheysuli #7)
  • A Tapestry of Lions (Chronicles of the Cheysuli #8)