The Song Of Homana (Chronicles of the Cheysuli #2)

The Song Of Homana (Chronicles of the Cheysuli #2)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  1,151 ratings  ·  17 reviews
For five long years the land of Homana had been strangling in the grasp of a usurper king--its people ravaged by strife, poverty and despair' its magical race, the Cheysuli, forced to flee or face extermination at the hands of their evil counterparts, the sorcerous Ilhini.

The time had come for Prince Carillon, Homana's rightful ruler to return from exile with his Cheysuli...more
Published (first published 1985)

Songs from the Phenomenal Nothing by Steven LunaTailchaser's Song by Tad WilliamsDragonsong by Anne McCaffreySong of Susannah by Stephen KingSong of Solomon by Toni Morrison
Novels with the word Song in the Title
15th out of 66 books — 20 voters
Legacy of the Sword by Jennifer RobersonThe Song Of Homana by Jennifer RobersonThe Silver Branch by Patricia KennealyShadow Dance by Anne LogstonHow the Gods Wove in Kyrannon by Ardath Mayhar
Where Are They Now?
2nd out of 89 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Richard Houchin
The Chronicles of the Cheysuli series is the first fantasy epic I read. In fact, it's one of the few series I read repeatedly, likely due to my young age and limited literary horizons.

Nevertheless, these books shaped my first views on philosophy, religion, sexuality, racism, and sexism. The responsible way Roberson handles these issues is inspiring and commendable.

On returning to read these books in later years, some of the characters and plot devices appear hackneyed and cliched, and some of t...more
Wendy Ward
Carillon and Finn have returned to Homana after a five year exile to attempt to reclaim the throne taken from him by Bellam of Solinde and Tynstar of the Ihlini. To do so, Carillon and Finn must amass an army of both Homanans and Cheysuli, a difficult task, given the prejudices of both. Carillon must also save his sister and mother who are both held captive by Bellam, but he is given the opportunity when his soldiers capture Electra, Bellam's daughter and Tynstar's "light woman". Will Carillon a...more
Nieva21
There were a few engaging parts in this novel. Carillon's voice narrating the story was a switch from Alix's and took me a while to adjust to his perspective. Too many of the women, Alix, Electra, and Torrey were impregnated by Tynstar.

Some surface things change; Alix mostly accepts her heritage, Carillon grows older and becomes king, but no one ever fundamentally changes. Oh, except Finn, who by the second book finally stops trying to rape Alix. (What a terrible character! Even after she become...more
Victoria
This second novel in Roberson’s Cheysuli Chronicles series is a lot stronger than the first (Shapechangers). The focus shifts from Alix to Carillon and it is through his eyes that this sequel unfolds. The pacing rushes past a few details, but overall this is an exciting novel and a much fuller one than its predecessor in the series. Tynstar’s villainy steals the show a bit and the scope of the setting widens with more descriptions of other lands in Roberson’s universe. The very memorable Electra...more
Leslie Wiederspan
Great follow to a great first story! This one is from the viewpoint of Prince Carillion. Very fascinating story! Im looking forward to reading the third book to see who tells the story and what happens to the characters. Very sad ending though.
Knitwit Tarvin
Book 2 takes place from Carillon's point of view, and I really enjoyed the shift in perspective from Alix to Carillon. Finn remains one of my favorite characters, though I don't think I admired him as much when I was younger. Even though it has been over 10 years since I've read these books, some of the storylines are coming back to me as I'm reading. But it has been long enough, that I am enjoying the story once again. I wish I could get these on my nook, so I could recycle my old copies that a...more
Wilderquill
A very good series which I am re-reading after about 20 years. Good characters and loads of political and magical intrigue.
Dana
I often think that the first book in this series was the best, but that's probably because I like Alix more than all her various male relatives. But this is still one of my favorite series from teenagerhood, so I'm enjoying rereading it.
Caroline
One of my favorite fantasy series. I loved the complexity here, and the multi-generational story that was so immersive. There are some rough bits here and there, but it really is a satisfying story in many ways.
Emily
I read this series when I was in high school and tried to re read it now. It wasn't nearly as engaging as I'd remembered, but the story was still fun. Don't think I'll pick up 3-8 quite yet.
Alex
Again, a series I was completely hesitant to take on...specially after having loved the Dragonlance charcters so much...I never thought I would care again...but there you go. Great series.
h
Apr 07, 2010 h rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010, sff, fiction
this one's from carillion's perspective. well-paced, lots of twists. his character development is a bit shallow, for all that he's the narrator. still lots to like about this series.
Theresa
a great beginning of the story that makes a series that is one of the few i could not put down'
Tamara
Great book! Even loved it from a new perspective! Excited about the rest of the series.
Nick Edwards
i loved it and one of the best books i have ever read
Iska
Loved it! Couldn't wait to pick up the next one!
Joe
Very good world that Roberson builds here.
Christine
See my review of the first book, Shapechangers.
Tyra Berger
Re-read
Rotar Ozana
Rotar Ozana marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Sherman Tank
Sherman Tank marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
  • The Dragon Token (Dragon Star, #2)
  • The Changeling (The Fey #2)
  • Harp of Winds (Artefacts of Power, #2)
  • The Sword and the Chain (Guardians of the Flame, #2)
  • The Silver Sun (Book of Isle, #2)
  • The Door into Sunset (Tale of the Five, #3)
  • Sword and Sorceress II
  • The Shining Court (The Sun Sword, #3)
Jennifer Mitchell Roberson O'Green is an author of fantasy and historical literature. Roberson has lived in Arizona since 1957. She grew up in Phoenix, but in 1999 relocated to Flagstaff. She obtained a Bachelor of Science in journalism from Northern Arizona University. Roberson had spent her final semester in England at the University of London. This enabled her to do indepth research at castles...more
More about Jennifer Roberson...
Sword-Dancer (Tiger and Del, #1) Sword-Singer (Tiger and Del, #2) Shapechangers (Chronicles of the Cheysuli #1) Sword-Breaker (Tiger and Del, #4) Sword-Maker (Tiger and Del, #3)