Start by marking “Flight, Vol. 8 (Flight, #8)” as Want to Read:
Flight, Vol. 8 (Flight, #8)

Flight, Vol. 8 (Flight #8)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  343 ratings  ·  41 reviews

Kean Soo
Kyla Vanderklugt
Dermot Walshe

Published June 28th 2011 by Villard

To ask other readers questions about Flight, Vol. 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flight, Vol. 8

Sesana
If the only thing you do with this volume of Flight, or any volume of Flight, is to look at the art without reading a word, you'll be rewarded. As always, the eighth volume is filled with a wide variety of gorgeous and imaginative short comics. Picking a handful of favorites is hard, and almost pointless. They're all worth at least looking at, and most of the comics have writing just as good as the art. But here goes: this volumes Kenneth the ninja adventure, Cory Godbey's The Clockmaker's Daugh ...more
Brian
I can't believe it's already been 8 or 9 years or whatever since the first Flight came out. I think back then Andrew Henry was a young baby faced boy making weird jokes and talking about One Piece and I was in hot rising band called Dance Methodical... or something.

Anyway, It had been at least a year or two since I last cracked a Flight. But I have to say that I suddenly felt nostalgic for the Halcyon days of 2003 or whenever the first one came out. Jellaby was there, there were stories with cr
Chris
These have all been fairly solid books. I'm definitely bummed that this is the last of the series, but it had a good run considering the ample price tag and the HUGE variety of content and authors. Compared to some of the other volumes, this one felt more cohesive as a whole, and a nice way to end the series.

As I've said in the past with the other volumes, these are very much worth your time. There are a few gems in each that make the whole trip worthwhile.

And again, the talent of art showcased
P D
I think this anthology has to be unique for being more about the range of artists it features as opposed to a common theme or required element or something. Some of the stories are continuations of previous ones (or stand alone episodes), others are brand new--in general, the one thing everything here has in common is outstanding visuals.

Either because of the short format or because 'Flight' is meant to be very much about the visual, the stories suffer as a result. I'm never not amused by the an
Tung
The Flight volumes are anthologies of indie cartoonists’ creative efforts (see my reviews of volumes one through seven). The tales told in these works span the entire spectrum of contemporary comic stylings from manga-influenced works to rough sketches to symbolic surreality to more traditional graphic novel flair. The tales vary in art style, length, and unfortunately, quality as I found each volume except for the first volume fairly uneven. Volume 8 was announced as the last of these anthologi ...more
Christine
My favourites were Riddle by Kyla Vanderklugt and New Year's Day by Sonny Liew. Lots of wonderful artwork in this collection, though some of the stories were a bit weak. Still, the Flight collections are always worth reading.
Tabitha
So many wonderful things going on in one book. Wonderful stories (duh) and amazing art (double duh)
Favorites in this volume include, 'Riddle', 'The Clockmaker's Daughter', 'Echoes', 'The Hollow Men', 'New Year's Day', and 'Try, Try Again'.
Kate
Great stories, beautiful art. It was late and I told myself I'd stop reading when I hit a story with art I didn't like, so I ended up reading the whole thing.
Amelia
I love this series. I love the collection of different artists and stories. It's like a treasure box.
John
Latest volume of the best ongoing anthology since sliced bread....and every slice is both terrific and different from the others. I'd give the highest ratings for art and story both to the Kiriakis, the Godbey, Kole, Kabuishi, and Campbell. But the closest entry to a dud is the Caffoe, and that's really only because there's no plot---just an intriguing contrast between the quotidian "letter home" and the exotic setting.

Required reading, like the earlier volumes, for anyone who wants/needs to kee
Tracy
Some good entries, but overall not an especially impressive volume.
Craig
Another good outing for this series.
Damon
Great as always - though apparently this is the last volume. Too bad, since this has consistently been one of the best anthologies going, but I think maybe for the best, since it would be easy for it to become formulaic. Not much new or different or out of the mold this time around, but that's okay - the usual mix of cute and funny and poignant is fine. The IglooHead and TreeHead story is the best thing in here.
Another solid compilation, and I'm very sad it's going to be the last volume in the series. I did feel that, for a grand finale, they should have added more artists and really beefed up the volume. Maybe they tried and others didn't have time, but it didn't feel like a farewell to me. Then again, maybe that means someday in the future they'll have more unplanned volumes. ;) We can only hope!
Stephen Shores
Gorgeous artwork and clever stories. This is the first in the series I've read, which is good because the stories are not connected and none of them appear to be sequels to stories in earlier books, as I had feared. The artwork is all varied in style, but it is all high-quality and the stories are often surprising and consistently good.
Kirk
Like the rest of the volumes, most of the stories are either too cartoonish or too short and pointless to be ejoyable reads. The only artist whose work showed promise in this volume was Cory Godbey. And the usual lovely cover art by Kazu Kibuishi, which always makes me pick up the Flight books in the first place.
Traci Haley
This was, by far, the best volume of the Flight series. I usually skip over at LEAST one story, usually a few, because they don't interest me. I didn't skip one story in this one. Every single one was breathtakingly beautiful. I can't even begin to pick out a favorite... they're all amazing!
Kate
An amazing conclusion to this comic anthology series! So many great stories that make you wish you were a little kid again. I only wish they had bulked it up like they did in volume 2. They could have added past artists like Amy Kim Kibuishi, Chmakova, Gagne, Mensinga, Cloonan, etc.
Rebecca Ann
This was my favorite volumes, hands down. Keep them coming. Graphic stories are well suited to the short story format if done well, and nearly every story in here was well done! Some were a little kitschy for my taste.
Ben
A couple of slight stories (usually still with quality art), but overall a successful final (?) entry in the 'Flight' series. Especially enjoyable - 'Kenneth Shuri & the Wrong Kill', 'Riddle', and 'The Collector.'
Kathryn
I'm sad that this is the last volume of what is probably my all-time favorite graphic novel series, but at least Kibuishi & Co. are ending on a high note; I really enjoyed the stories presented here.
Oliver
Not the best volume of Flight, but that's not much of a criticism for this series. There are a couple new artists in this one that I'd like to see more from. Too bad it's the final volume!
Casey
Some of the Flight volumes have started to kind of pass me by year-by-year as good-but-not-great, but I really enjoyed a lot of the stories and the variety of art styles in this one.
Elizabeth
Lots of good ones in here. Some open-ended weirdies, too. Igloo Head & Tree Head made me laugh. Sad to see this is the last one. Wonder why. Maybe they can pick a new theme for 8 more...
Abraham
God, I love cutesy colorful comics... In other news, apparently the only way for a penguin to fly is to be kissed by another penguin. Who knew?
Michelle
Great volume! There's a good mix of stories and most of them are very good. There's a lot of talented artist that I await to read more by them.
Chelsi
Some of the stories seemed pointless but there were a couple that I really enjoyed and the graphics were pretty good.
Matt
Beautiful art but the stories are barely there: even the best of them rarely come to the level of children's books.
Tamsin Barlow
Incredibly beautiful both in writing and in illustration. This is the graphic novel I've been searching for.
Helena
This book is just awesome! Ive been reading this series for two years now and i never and never will get bored of it!
  • Castle Waiting, Vol. 2 (Castle Waiting Omnibus Collection #2)
  • Koko Be Good
  • Bad Island
  • Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics (Courtney Crumrin, #2)
  • Mouse Guard: The Black Axe (Mouse Guard, #0.5)
  • Rice Boy
  • Nursery Rhyme Comics: 50 Timeless Rhymes from 50 Celebrated Cartoonists
  • Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant (Delilah Dirk, #1)
  • The War at Ellsmere
  • The Return of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #3)
  • Lackadaisy: Volume #1
  • The Saga of Rex
  • The Professor's Daughter
  • Oz: Ozma of Oz (Marvel Classics)
  • Hilda and the Bird Parade
  • Curses! Foiled Again (Foiled, #2)
  • Comics Squad: Recess!
  • The Abominable Charles Christopher
Kazu Kibuishi (born 1978) is an American graphic novel author and illustrator. He is best known for being the creator and editor of the comic anthology Flight and for creating the webcomic Copper. He has also written (drawn) the Amulet series. The webcomic artist and noted critic Scott McCloud has said that some of Kazu Kibuishi's work is so beautifully drawn that "it hurts my hands when I look at ...more
More about Kazu Kibuishi...
Amulet, Vol. 1: The Stonekeeper (Amulet, #1) Amulet, Vol. 2: The Stonekeeper's Curse (Amulet, #2) Amulet, Vol. 3: The Cloud Searchers (Amulet, #3) Amulet, Vol. 4: The Last Council (Amulet, #4) Amulet, Vol. 5: Prince of the Elves (Amulet, #5)