Start by marking “Death in Berlin” as Want to Read:
Death in Berlin

Death in Berlin (Death in... #2)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  670 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Miranda Brand is visiting Germany for what is supposed to be a month's vacation. But from the moment that Brigadier Brindley relates the story about a fortune in lost diamonds--a story in which Miranda herself figures in an unusual way--the vacation atmosphere becomes transformed into something more ominous. And when murder strikes on the night train to Berlin, Miranda fin ...more
Published June 8th 2000 by Minotaur Books (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Death in Berlin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death in Berlin

Tadiana ✩ Night Owl☽
I have a soft spot in my heart for all things Germany-related, and this 1955 murder mystery, set in post-WWII Berlin, has its charms, but it was kind of like an old-timey train ride (the kind this novel actually starts out with). The train has some reasonably comfortable sleeping compartments, and attendants who direct you when you're feeling a bit lost. The food's a little old-fashioned, but fairly tasty. There are a few odd people in the passenger cars, but you're not too worried about them be ...more
Buddy read with Diane Lynn & Jeannette

My re-read of the last of M.M. Kaye's 6 book "Death in..." murder mystery series, and very enjoyable even though post WWII Berlin, Germany isn't the exotic locale Kaye was famous for using in her 5 other whodunits. That being said, I very much liked the change in setting. Kaye easily conjured up the sights, colors and smells of the allied occupied capital in the years following WWII. In her hands, the hopeful optimism of the city years before the rising
Diane Lynn
Buddy read with Jeannette and Hannah

Another really good mystery by MM Kaye. This one set in Berlin, Germany in 1953. Kaye did a very good job of describing the bombed out buildings, the piles of rubble that had already been grassed over into ski hills, bullet riddled statues and the different sectors. She was living there at the time so her descriptions have that ring of authenticity.

There is a large cast of suspects and more than one mystery to be solved. I certainly didn't figure everything ou
1.5 stars. Ok, a 1.5 star rating is probably a little harsh, but I just did not enjoy this M.M. Kaye mystery! I wanted to, because I enjoyed her Death in the Andamans and Death in Kashmir: A Mystery very much.

I tend to not be much of a fan of stories set against the backdrop of WW II, so that probably played a role in my distaste for this book. It's also possible that I almost hated this book because it took for-ev-er for this mystery to get going. I don't think things really started to pick up
Terri Lynn
I really didn't see THAT coming! How often can you say that about mystery or suspense fiction where the who in whodunit is often crystal clear and glaringly obvious half-way through the book, especially with clues generously lining the path? It was near the end when I even entertained the notion that the murderer was the one. M.M. Kaye is so deliciously clever.

I also was amused by the fact that the 9-year-old boy Wally and his friend 7-year-old Lottie actually knew all of the facts that would s
Lee Roberts
This was the first M M Kaye murder mystery I ever read, and it remains one of my favourites. Sometimes I get a bit frustrated by the helpless heroine scenario in the six books, but I guess it was a reflection of the times.
Many of my complaints about Death in Kashmir could be applied to Berlin as well... and I could add a few more. Something about a helpless heroine, a massive coincidence, and a cast of underdeveloped characters, perhaps. But even so, I genuinely liked the novel.

Miss Miranda Brand is visiting her cousin and his wife, stationed in Berlin just after WWII. But on the train over, she wanders into the wrong compartment and comes out with blood on her hands and her slippers. The man in charge - a vague
Timothy Stone
*Death in Berlin* by M. M. Kaye is one of those novels that is quite difficult to read and rate impartially. At least for me it was. An ordinary person may have problems enough with it, but may be able to get past the faults. Someone who has been steeped in military culture, as I have, has a hard time with some of the less than admirable aspects of the worldview expounded upon in the work.

For this reason, I am torn somewhat. I have been told by some before that it is necessary to rate a work im
This is my 3rd mystery by M. M. Kaye, and the dialogs, scenes and even the characters are getting very predictable. The lead is always a lady, always determined to be a spinster, always abysmally young. This story took forever to start, the female lead was annoying or saying and doing things that were annoying, and in the end the criminal wasn't even convincing, that is, the reason for the crime was quite uninspiring. Zero chemistry between the lead protagonists. Having said all that, it was a p ...more
Suspense novel with a sliver of romance that is elevated by good writing and a classic vintage feel. Strong sense of place - Berlin, post WWII. Fun vacation read.
By far my favorite of the M. M. Kaye 'Death in...' books. It was the perfect book to devour in almost one sitting on a lazy Saturday afternoon.
I'm working my way through all the M. M. Kaye mysteries. This is my least favorite so far (only two more to go) It's a decent book but something is lacking. Perhaps it's the setting. The ruins of postwar Berlin don't make one want to visit the place. In all her previous books I was enchanted by the settings and longed to see them. I have visited Berlin but much later when it was cleaned up.
Miranda Brand who s visiting Berlin gets mixed up in a mystery that harks back to her childhood as a war re
My current read-to-sleep mystery.
An interesting writing. I liked the atmosphere of the divided Berlin just at the end of the war. I enjoyed the small details of the life of that time, the train journeys, the movings to new houses and the raising of children. The murder story was consistently build up without making it totally clear who the murderer is. Interesting also the old story of Herr and Frau Ridder, around which the murders are turning. Easily read and enjoyable. It was the first book of this writer that I read and I wi ...more
Tempa Pagel
Aug 14, 2014 Tempa Pagel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: classic mystery lovers
Despite the fact this book was written sixty years ago, it still delivers. M.M. Kaye was a masterful plotter and builder of tension. I enjoy reading her to study how she crafts a fine mystery.
M. Keedwell
My favourite of the "Death in..." series by M. M. Kaye. I love all of this series, but there's something about Simon Lang that just got me the right way. Love this author!
As a fan of Mary Stewart I was bummed when I finished her "young woman in danger" books. But this was the perfect follow-up. I can't wait to track down and read the rest.
Zara Keane
This is my favourite of M.M. Kaye's mysteries. There's a complex cast of characters and plenty of red herrings that kept me guessing until the last few pages.
Jasmin Willan
Loved it!!! Bit slow throughout the book but at the end I fell in love with the characters Miranda and Simon!!! Tip top and I want more of it!!
M.M. Kaye's mysteries are on par with Agatha Christie. Excellent writing, in-depth characters, keep-you-guessing-until-the-end mysteries.
Went through and read every M.M. Kaye book many years ago. I remember I loved all of them.
[7/10] I liked it a lot, but I gave better books 4 stars here, and I felt this was a very pleasant but ultimately a lightweight effort. The heroine is believable, and the rest of characters around her quite good, especially Wally the Snoop. The image of the ruined post-war Berlin is OK but it doesn't take centre stage to the murdeer story. Also fine was the mystery part, in the style of Agatha Christie, where everyone is a possible suspect.
Ultimately though this is not in the same class as the
I enjoyed all of Kaye's Death in... books. The most interesting thing about them is that they were written as contemporary novels and republished later with no editing. The forward of each tells the background of how she came to write them. Early Cold War, Berlin Wall era. Spies and ruins from Hitler's Berlin. Creepy!
M.M. Kaye manages to write a mystery where you get around to think every character the suspect and where the solution is more complicated than what you would ever have imagined. The setting in post-war Germany gives it a special atmosphere when you compare life at that time with what it is like in Berlin today.
Another read-over of a book from my teens. Good mystery novel, kept me guessing, and a little romance thrown in too. I'll probably forget the plot in a few years (again) but I will remember that I like M.M. Kaye books.
Comfort reading, but nowhere near as good as the others. Despite some truly chilling scenes, there were too many background plots which were interesting enough, but not as good as Andaman and Cyprus for example.
So far I liked this one on her series of mysteries the best. It deviated from the formula a bit. M. M. Kaye wrote about post-war Berlin from her own experience of it first-hand and you could tell.
MM Kaye, who wrote the stunning novels "The Far Pavilions" and "Shadow of the Moon," devolved into writing formulaic but mildly entertaining mystery novels, of which this is one. Little more to be said here.
Another of MM Kaye's great mysteries; this time situated in Berlin after WWII. Since I have visited Berlin, I related to the description of the locale and war time history. Very good story.
Sarah Ryburn
Marvelously sinister! I love Miranda Brand: she reminds me of Flora Poste, cool and crisp and refined in the midst of chaos. Simon Lang. So debonair: like Cary Grant in Charade!
  • Madam, Will You Talk?
  • Out of the Past (Miss Silver, #23)
  • Witch
  • The Copenhagen Connection
  • Secret Father
M. M. Kaye (Mary Margaret) was born in India and spent her early childhood and much of her early-married life there. Her family ties with the country are strong: her grandfather, father, brother and husband all served the British Raj. After India's independence, her husband, Major-General Goff Hamilton of Queen Victoria's Own Corps of Guides (the famous Indian Army regiment featured in The Far Pav ...more
More about M.M. Kaye...

Death in... (6 books)
  • Death in Kashmir
  • Death in Cyprus
  • Death in Kenya
  • Death in Zanzibar
  • Death in the Andamans (Death In..., #6)
The Far Pavilions The Ordinary Princess Shadow of the Moon Trade Wind Death in Kashmir