Start by marking “First Frost (Detective Jack Frost Prequel, #1)” as Want to Read:
First Frost (Detective Jack Frost Prequel, #1)

First Frost (Detective Jack Frost Prequel #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  269 ratings  ·  39 reviews
It's Denton, 1981. Britain is in recession, the IRA is becoming increasingly active and the country's on alert for an outbreak of rabies. Detective Sergeant Jack Frost is working under his mentor and inspiration DI Bert Williams, and coping badly with his increasingly strained marriage. Probably not helped by the fact that he never goes home...
Published February 7th 2011 by Bantam Press (first published January 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about First Frost, please sign up.

C Beard Not quite as good. RD Wingfield died a few years ago and given that he only wrote a handful of Frost novels I was very pleased to see the return of my…moreNot quite as good. RD Wingfield died a few years ago and given that he only wrote a handful of Frost novels I was very pleased to see the return of my favourite fictional detective. The plot is as good as Wingfields, but it somehow lacks the humour and warmth that marked Jack out in earlier books - he's as scruffy, unkempt and sexist as ever but he's not quite the same. (less)

Tyrone
Jan 29, 2012 Tyrone rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the original series and TV series
As always the death of an author is a sad event, doubly so when they are the author of a series of novels with a beloved charater. It must be my age but i have lost a number of authors over the last few years. RIP David Gemmell, Robert Jordan & Robert B. Parker to name a few. My relationship with R.D. Wingfield is slightly different in that i didn't really discover his books until after his death. The only disappointment I have had with them is coming to the realisation of how few Frost book ...more
Madonna
Much of this book is comfortable and familiar to me, in spite of a different "author" of the series. We do have a direct conversation between Frost and his wife, instead of Frost remembering and reporting the snippets of conversations as he remembers them. In this conversation we get the gist of the problems with his wife--no time at home and no ambition for promotions. And, Frost has been a reliable narrator in that regard since that was exactly as he reported. Maybe we should then believe what ...more
Sandy
Written in the style of R D Wingfield's Frost Novels with the blessing of his son, who was pleased that the writing pair of James Gurbutt and Henry Sutton had caught his father's flair.

Set in the 1980's, the tale is typical of the Un-Politically Correct times with corrupt police (has anything really changed?)and the racism. The IRA feature heavily in this story, but the IRA featured heavily in real-life also!

One passage that particularly made me chuckle was one copper was saying that he didn't u
Elizabeth Jones
This is the first time I've read anything in this series. I wonder if the work of the original author, who has died, was better, as he seems to have a legion of fans. I was not impressed with this book. There were too many story lines to follow that were not wrapped up. I didn't find the main character particularly likeable either. There were two nights were he didn't go home - one spent in his office, the next passed out drunk in his car - doesn't the man ever bathe? An unrepentant sexist, Fros ...more
Mieneke
First Frost is a prequel to the Inspector Frost series written by R.D. Wingfield. James Henry is a pseudonym for James Gurbutt and Henry Sutton. I haven't read any of the original Wingfield books, but have watched some of the TV series, A Touch of Frost, in the 90's. I can't recall too much of it, mostly I just remember the wonderful David Jason and the general atmosphere of the series, but not any other specific characters. In my memories the atmosphere and colour tones of the TV series, were g ...more
Mike Gabor
This is a prequel to the Jack Frost series. This book was not written by R.D. Wingfield who passed away in 2007 but by two writers James Gurbutt and Henry Sutton under the pen name James Henry. The book is set in 1981. Frost is just a DS at the time. Frost is a very busy man. His mentor DI Bert Williams is missing, the station is short handed and the bad guys seem to taking advantage of this. There is a 12 year old girl missing, a possible outbreak of rabies, what may or may not be a case of chi ...more
Miles
When R.D. Wingfield was invited to write “Frost at Christmas” in 1972 by MacMillan – and then not have it published until the early 1980’s in Canada – little did we know then that Frost would become a television phenomenon spanning 18 wonderful years. Wingfield died of prostate cancer in 2007 and his final novel A Killing Frost published the following year.

With that in mind, James Henry (pseudonym for James Gurbutt and Henry Sutton) has authored a prequel to the Frost series and the first title
Fiona
At the end of last year, I won a competition on Goodreads. It's the first time I can remember that I've won something, so that was exciting, and then the book came and I got very excited because honestly, who isn't excited by owning a new hardback? Especially when it's signed. If that's not exciting to you, you have no sense of adventure.

I was even more excited, because the death of RD Wingfield is one of the greatest tragedies for detective fiction that I know of. The man was a genius. I loved
Elizabeth
As a fan of the Wingfield Jack Frost series I was really intrigued when I saw this book. I think it is always fun to read about a favorite character in his more formative years. This younger Frost is not very different from his more mature self. Keeping in mind that Jack Frost was in his forties in the first of the regular series (the TV series portrayed him as much older it seemed to me)there is not that much of an age difference is these alternative portrayals. Jack is still married but is muc ...more
Carole Hawthorne
Have read 64% of this book, but cannot continue reading it, because it's so boring. Frost is nothing like the R D Wingfield character that I know and love. James Henry has captured none of Frost's humour, I don't know why he bothered to try and write a prequel.
Anyone who has read this and not enjoyed it should not be put off reading the original author R D Wingfield's books - they are absolutely brilliant and so funny. I won't be reading any more of James Henry's books.
Larry
This was for the Audio CD Abridged edition.
I don't normally listen to Abridged books and this one is about 30% of what the Unabridged edition.
Saying that it lacks nothing and typical Frost book all threads are cleaned up in the end.

This one is narrator David Jason
David Jason, Stared as Detective Inspector Jack Frost in the long-running TV series A Touch of Frost.

And will always be DI Frost in my mind.
Firedragon
First Frost is a prequel to the Frost series by R. D. Wingfield. It is written by James Gurbutt and Henry Sutton, who do a good job in illustrating Frost as a younger detective, while staying true to the character.

As usual, Frost is investigating a number of crimes at the same time. The inclusion of existing characters from the Wingfield novels, such as Mullett, Arthur Hanlon and Bill Wells make the story all the more believable. I especially liked the introduction of Sue Clarke, she's intellige
This is a prequel to the Frost series but written by a different author as RD Wingfield died. I think it does keep the general character of Frost fairly well. The story is not quite so dark as I remember the original Frost stories to be but nonetheless I do think it is a good addition.

Julie Hudson is 12 adn trying on a new school uniform when her mother leaves her to look in the lingerie department. Upon her return she discovers her daughter is missing. Another woman reports that her daughter h
C Beard
Decent book which persuaded me to get the next two and while the plot is as good as any of those put down by RD Wingfield it lacks the humour that Wingfield put into his novels, and I missed that.
Matthew
I'm biased as I love Jack Frost, but this was enjoyable. Admittedly, I was often thinking that this isn't a Wingfield book, and that earlier in the references to the eighties were a bit clumsy but it's enjoyable nonetheless.
Leeswammes
Jack Frost was definitely the Jack Frost from the TV series. I haven’t read the original books by R. D. Wingfield, so cannot compare this book with those. But there was no doubt that this was the Jack Frost that we all know and love from TV.

The way Frost interacted with his colleagues was also spot-on. Jack has a soft spot for his female colleague but takes no nonsense from anyone.

The story was well-written but the build-up was rather slow. Maybe because of this, after a while, I didn’t care muc
Lili
Difficult to review this book impartially against the original Wingfield books as the TV series dominates my mind. The story reads true to the version I have of Sir David Jason playing Jack Frost and it was interesting to read a portrayal of Jack in his early days; overall I enjoyed the read.

An interesting note; Wingfield, apparently was not too enthusiastic about the TV portrayal of his books. Wonder what he would think of this book! However it is quite an accolade that someone would be so ena
Marla Madison
I haven't read any of the other Frost books, and this one would not influence me to read any of the others. Crime novels by nature feature multiple characters, and this novel had more than I could keep straight. The author did not do a real good job of keeping them separate. Frost, although a determined investigator was not particularly likable. And Mullet was such a bad leader it was hard to believe he'd actually achieved that level of responsibility. Very confusing plots with not very satisfyi ...more
Lynne
Pre-quel to Inspector Frost books, not bad. It was more like the TV plays than the novels.
Karl K
Tough getting thru the first third. But after that it became a good read.
Balthazar Lawson
I found this to be a good read, except for the ending. This story is set in 1981 when Jack Frost was still a Sergeant and before he appeared in the first of the DI Jack Frost series by R.D. Wingfield. It still contains the enjoyment of the earlier books, even though it's written by different writers. This is a collaborative effort and they have chosen a rather silly name. Too much like the more famous Henry James for my liking.

But this is well worth a read and I shall read the other books in thi
Gerda
Like reading an episode of "a touch of Frost".
Lynne Bartram
This is the second time I have read this book I enjoy these Frost books and feel that James Henry writes as well as R.d. Wingfields
David Gooch
To be fair it is well written and tries to follow the style of the original author. It is always hard to follow on in someone's footsteps and while a good read it show that it is not their character.
That said it weaves together quite a few little events going off that seem to impact on Frost's daily life until he through the pages knits it all together to sort the puzzle. An easy and reasonably well written read.
Bia
It is good to have Jack Frost back again. Even though he's isn't the old gramps I knew who liked to chase cases till they were solved, James and Henry did a good job of capturing Jack's personality. The book was great, had the same weird pace that R.D.Wingfield had, but I was slightly dissapointed in the ending. Yet overall, James adn Henry should continue writing, because, a dead character is no good.
Debbie
I read the original Jack Frost mysteries by Wingfield many years ago, and I felt this kept to the same pattern as the originals, at least as I remember them. Jack is dealing with his by the books boss, dealing with being perpetually short staffed, always trying to find cup of tea or a snack and following leads on a handful of different crimes in Denton.
Jane
I was a bit apprehensive about reading this as I used to enjoy R.D. Wingfield's books but I needn't have worried. The authors have perfectly captured the style and humour of previous Frost books and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this. Let's hope it is not to long until the next book.
zenbren
Didn't realise this was a Det Frost novel when I bought it and was dubious as I'm not a great fan of the tv series. But the storyline and writing was pithy,witty and a pleasant surprise.
Well developed characters and some humour along the way.(Kept visualisng the David Jason character).
Dan Barbier

Maybe not as funny as Wingfield's Frost, but entertaining none the less. Frost is still knee deep in cases and never going home. So, if you like tv Frost or novel Frost, this is right in your alley. I sure did.
Lisa
This was written not by the original writer of the series. I have not read any of those books, but was an avid fan of the movies.
This book is so Jack! A very clever write.
  • Night Frost (Inspector Frost, #3)
  • The Hanging Wood (Lake District Mystery #5)
  • Telling Tales (Vera Stanhope, #2)
  • Asgard Park
  • Blood Sinister (Bill Slider, #8)
  • Child's Play (Dalziel & Pascoe, #9)
  • Truth Lies Bleeding
  • Random
  • The Last Boat Home
  • Road Closed
  • The Disinherited: A Story of Family, Love and Betrayal
  • All My Enemies (Brock & Kolla, #3)
  • Requiem Mass (Andrew Fenwick, #1)
  • The Redeemed (Jenny Cooper, #3)
  • Aftermath (Inspector Banks, #12)
James Henry is the pen name for James Gurbutt and Henry Sutton. James is a publisher at Constable & Robinson, R.D. Wingfield’s original publisher back in the 1980s. Henry Sutton is the author of seven novels written under his own name. He is the book editor at the Daily Mirror and teaches create writing at the UEA. Philip Wingfield, son of the late R. D. Wingfield approves; he remarked, 'The a ...more
More about James Henry...

Detective Jack Frost Prequel (3 books)
  • Fatal Frost (Detective Jack Frost Prequel, #2)
  • Morning Frost (Detective Jack Frost Prequel, #3)
Fatal Frost (Detective Jack Frost Prequel, #2) Morning Frost (Detective Jack Frost Prequel, #3) Edward Monkjack Exterminator Badass Prepper's Handbook: Everything You Need to Know to Prepare Yourself for the Worst Kwanzaa Klaus