A Year with Rilke

A Year with Rilke

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  19 reviews
One of the most beloved poets of the twentieth century, Rainer Maria Rilke is widely celebrated for his depth of insight and timeless relevance. He has influenced generations of writers with his classic Letters to a Young Poet, and his reflections on the divine and our place in the world are disarmingly profound. A Year with Rilke provides the first ever reading from Rilke...more
Published (first published October 29th 2009)

James Klagge
This is the second year I have used a book of daily readings. Once again, I didn't do too well keeping up on a daily basis. But I have liked trying to be disciplined.
I have a love/hate relationship with Rilke. 35 years ago I read "Letters to a Young Poet" which I still enjoy and recommend to others. That has led me to want to read his poetry, but that has been tough. I have struggled to appreciate poetry now for about 20 years, with very mixed success. Rilke is someone who seems genuinely deep...more
Laura-nassidesa Eschbaugh
I find these daily doses of some of Rilke's works an excellent way to start the day. I admire both his poerty and prose. If you start reading is works, you will thirst for more.
"You said live out loud
and die you siad lightly
and over and over again you said be"
This is part of the entry for Aug 12th.
Angie
Just started using this book as a daily reader for 2013. Already a few daily entries have been luminous, and all have been worthwhile. I will say I am ambivalent about the translations, and am finding myself wanting to dig out more familiar translations for comparison to Macy and Barrow's versions. Maybe by the end of the year the turns these authors give Rilke will become familiar too, and I'll warm to them. I'm keeping an open mind.
Katy
Jan 06, 2014 Katy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
January 4 - "I have experienced a truth more completely than ever before: that life's bestowal of riches already surpasses any subsequent impoverishment. What, then, remains to be feared? Only that we might forget this! But around and within us, how much it helps to remember!"
Jenwhitson
i thought i loved rilke, but it turns out i actually love rilke filtered through the collaborative translations of joanna macy and anita barrows. everybody always hatin on them for being non-literal and taking liberties and so on, but i feel ok about it. rilke through the lens of these two ladies is about the most beautiful and comforting and illuminating thing that has ever existed in the world.
Eling
As I believe I've read in other reviews, this suffered some from a lack of consistent quality in the daily readings. Had I stuck to reading one page per day as formatted, I would have been very disappointed in a number of the days. Still a lot of good material here -- but it's Rilke, so that should sort of be a given -- and worth a read.
Janet
Rilke's work doesn't really do it for me as a daily reading. While some snippets from his poems, prose, letters and journals are lovely and profound(e.g.Live the Questions, Along with the Laughter), most are too fragmented to provoke the "aha!" moment I look for in this sort of book.
Marie
This book offers a daily thought in the form of poetry of Rilke which I have always loved. Just a small piece of poetry every day--nice. Some of my favorites are not included, but I have read something new too!
Steve
I stopped reading this after a while. The entries were not as interesting or inspirational as I had hoped. I'll get back to it sometime later.
Janet Tuck
I have been dipping in and out of this book with mixed success for a while. Some days readings are extraordinary. Others less so.

Marcia
This was my project read for 2013. It was enlightening to see all the familiar Rilke quotes in context. Overall, a very thoughtful collection.
Laurie
Literally, I started reading this book, and I was like "Where has this author been all my life!" Amazing.
Laura Munson
This book has me back in the practice of daily devotional.
Lynne
Enjoyed doing these one per day. Like a daily meditation.
Anne
I enjoyed this immensely- I highly recommend!
Tim Budge
I love Rilke, nice to read a bit of him everyday.
Anne
Feb 16, 2013 Anne marked it as on-hold  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anne by: Mikki
Shelves: poetry, austria
Waiting until Mikki can join us.
Karyn
Apr 06, 2011 Karyn is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Daily inspiration. Very nice.
David Roberts
One of my Top 5 daily reading books
Jimajima9
Quit early. No traction.
Bipin Upadhyay
Bipin Upadhyay is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Jennifer is currently reading it
Mar 05, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Christina
Christina is currently reading it
Mar 01, 2014
In Praise of Mortality Rilke's Book of Hours Rilke's Book of Hours: Love Poems to God About Chinese Women Benmussa Directs: Portrait of Dora : The Singular Life of Albert Nobbs (Playscript 91)

“She who reconciles the ill-matched threads of her life, and weaves them gratefully into a single cloth— it’s she who drives the loudmouths from the hall and clears it for a different celebration” 0 likes
“In the face of our collective condition of danger and pervasive loss, Rilke summons us to be present to our world in all its exquisite fragility. He reminds us that there is not a more important gift we can make to life on Earth. Knowing our own vulnerability is essential, both to the artist and to all who would awaken to the miracle of what is.” 0 likes