Start by marking “The Boy Next Door” as Want to Read:
The Boy Next Door

The Boy Next Door

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  266 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews

LGBT Contemporary

When Lowell moves back to his hometown to take care of his ailing mother, the last person he expects to see living in the house next door is his childhood friend Jase, grown up now and more attractive than ever. Jase had starred in many of Lowell's teenage fantasies, but Lowell is convinced Jase is straight. And yet, as they rekindle their friendship, it

Published January 25th 2011 by Loose Id

To ask other readers questions about The Boy Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy Next Door

Hot Head by Damon SuedeThe Locker Room by Amy LaneCaught Running by Madeleine UrbanKeeping Promise Rock by Amy LaneA Fostered Love by Cameron Dane
Childhood Friends Become Gay Lovers
46th out of 240 books — 393 voters
Hot Head by Damon SuedeBear, Otter, and the Kid by T.J. KluneThe Locker Room by Amy LaneDivide & Conquer by Abigail RouxBetween Sinners and Saints by Marie Sexton
Best M/M Romance Published in 2011
371st out of 506 books — 1,018 voters

More lists with this book...

Kassa
Feb 25, 2011 Kassa rated it it was ok
The Boy Next Door is a cute premise that just didn’t capture my attention. The characters have some good depth and the writing is perfunctory. There are several themes that are likely to appeal to fans and some nice use of tension. The conflict is kept real and believable throughout the story, so much so I didn’t actually buy into the happy ending and resolution. Unfortunately there are many issues left hanging as well with the hope that together the two men can get through them. Unfortunately I ...more
Ami
Jan 27, 2011 Ami rated it really liked it
Lowell returns to Greenbriar after 16 years to take care of his mother. The first day he gets to his house, his realtor (and friend) tells him that his neighbor is Jason "Jase" Midland and his daughter, Layla. Jase had been the star of so many Lowell's teenager's fantasy. What will happen now that they're adults ... and Lowell finds out the real reason why Jase's marriage falls apart.

This is the kind of story I enjoy ... I love how "down-to-earth" it is. This kind of setting can be boring, becau
Arthur
May 14, 2011 Arthur rated it it was ok
The theme (childhood friends become lovers) is my favorite. To a degree, the author tried to make the problem real. However, the solution that she offers doesn't seem to be one. I'm tired of reading this 'gays v. non-gays' mentality. Apart from the closest friend that the MC has from the beginning, it seems all non-gays try to do harm to the MCs. The ones that seem sympathetic happens to be... gay also! The ending is HFN, not HEA. If I knew it's HFN, I wouldn't have bothered to pay six bucks.
Cole Riann
Second Read - 6/7/13

Review posted at The Armchair Reader for Kate McMurray Week!

I tried to read this book once before. It wasn't too long after I first read Kindling Fire with Snow, which I really liked. And… I couldn't make it through the book. Ultimately, I DNFed it and went on. I think, though I remember little of the reason now, I didn't have any real hangups with the book, I just couldn't get into it. And now that I've read all of Kate's backlist, I was eager to try it again. Chances are
jules0623
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
A childhood fantasy can’t be the love of your life, can he? That's what Lowell thought when he moved back to his hometown to take care of his ailing mother. Lowell’s childhood friend Jase just happens to be his next door neighbor. But life has certainly changed for both men as Jase is now divorced with a young daughter. As the two men reconnect, Lowell and Jase face a lot of obstacles that test their newfound friendship and romance.

The Boy Next Door is a sweet romance with the familiar and well
Heidi Cullinan
Jan 04, 2012 Heidi Cullinan rated it it was amazing
This book has a lovely tossed salad of tropes mixed up with some new twists, excellent storytelling, and a refreshing voice. The Boy Next Door was my first Kate McMurray, and I quickly went out and read everything else she'd written after reading this.

It's a book about family, about coming out, about coming home, about hard decisions and falling in love. The characters are real and distinct but allow a reader to insert herself into the scene a little and feel resonances in her own life. The situ
Sadonna
Oct 22, 2011 Sadonna rated it liked it
Shelves: pdf, mm, friends-to-lovers
Nerine Petros
Mar 29, 2011 Nerine Petros rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The Boy Next Door is a story based on childhood fantasy. Those love stories or wishful thoughts we have either heard about or felt towards that special someone, but never had the guts to do anything about. It's about acknowledging and facing the past that we may have left behind but could never quite outrun, and finally facing truth.

Lowell feels almost resigned to the next stage of his life. The one where he returns to a previous phase and revisits those haunts of his childhood home, along with
Raevyn
Dec 04, 2012 Raevyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, 2012
Lowell and Jase were friends as kids, but that friendship fell apart in their teen years. Lowell was abused by his father, an art major and very out, while Jase was a jock and very closeted. Lowell returns to their home town and happens to move into the house next door to Jase and his daughter. Things heat up between them and seem to be going okay, even with the fear Jase deals with about being found out. Something major happens and Jase and Lowell have to reevaluate their relationship.

I liked t
Pianisuparse
Oct 15, 2015 Pianisuparse rated it liked it
3.75 'Another quick and easy to read' stars.
Kmtanay
good
melek
Oct 19, 2015 melek rated it it was amazing
Lowell comes back after 16 years to his home town too look after his mum. His next door neighbour is an old friend jase divorced and has a an 6 year old girl. he finds out jase is gay they start a friendship and turn too lovers these drama with his ex that can break their relationship apart. What will jase do between choose between his daughter or his love for lowell. light read with a little drama
Mel
Apr 30, 2012 Mel rated it it was ok
2,5 - I do like Kate McMurray's writing but in this particular case I had some major problems with the main characters, mainly Jase.
I have not much sympathy for characters who struggle to fight for their own happiness. Hence the ending of this story seemed constructed. I really don't get Jase's hesitation to integrate Lowell in his life.
Chris
Mar 24, 2011 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, gay, done, 2011, ebook
Good m/m romance about a designer who moves from NYC back to his small Connecticut hometown to keep an eye on his mom after his dad dies. He discovers that the house he just bought is next door to the guy he had a crush on in high school, who's now divorced with a six-year old daughter.
Mandi
Jul 04, 2011 Mandi rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance-mm
2.5 stars. Good writing, but I didn't really like either character or the situation they were in. Maybe I wasn't expecting so much angst? And I'm a sucker for a HEA, not an uncertain HFN.
Janna
Mar 17, 2012 Janna rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Friends reunite and become lovers in this story, a theme I love. Add some serious angst, complex family ties and hot smexing to the mix and you get an enjoyable read.
Tana
Jan 30, 2011 Tana rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, but I wasn't to happy with the way it ended. To much of the story is still untold is the best way I can explain it. Maybe there is a sequel???
Patty
Dec 21, 2012 Patty rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this one down. I started it last night, and finished it at 5:00 in the morning. This one is going on my favorites list.
Meredeth Kingsley
Oct 28, 2011 Meredeth Kingsley rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story. It didn't feel forced, like some do. I highly recommend it.
Wt Prater
Oct 04, 2013 Wt Prater rated it really liked it
I love Kate, both as a friend, and as an incredible author!
Hrtnsoul28
Jan 18, 2013 Hrtnsoul28 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Wonderful story with a sweet 6 year old girl.
Fernanda Parente
Dec 21, 2012 Fernanda Parente rated it it was amazing
one of the sweetest book I read this year
Bogusia
3.5 Stars
Nichem
Jan 26, 2011 Nichem rated it liked it
Dex
Dex marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Lorlena
Lorlena rated it did not like it
May 11, 2016
Loïc
Loïc marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
  • Accidentally In Love
  • Back to Normal
  • Calvin's Cowboy (Calvin's Cowboy #1)
  • Pinky Swear
  • Friday Night Jamie
  • Rhapsody for Piano and Ghost
  • Sonoran Heat
  • Embrace My Reflection (Embrace, #1)
  • Trust In Me
  • Nobody's Hero (Superpowered Love, #3)
  • Two-Man Advantage (Seattle Marauders, #1)
  • Red Skies
  • The Heir Apparent
  • Le Jazz Hot
  • Electric Melty Tingles
  • Blind Passion
  • Nothing Ever Happens
  • His Christmas Wish (Men of Charlestown, #1)
Kate McMurray is a nonfiction editor. Also, she is crafty (mostly knitting and sewing, but she also wields power tools), she plays the violin, and she dabbles in various other pursuits. She’s maybe a tiny bit obsessed with baseball. She lives in Brooklyn, NY, with a presumptuous cat.
More about Kate McMurray...