Start by marking “The Cat Who Came to Breakfast (Cat Who..., #16)” as Want to Read:
The Cat Who Came to Breakfast (Cat Who..., #16)

The Cat Who Came to Breakfast (The Cat Who... #16)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,841 Ratings  ·  137 Reviews
Jim Qwilleran and his feline companions Koko and Yum Yum get more than they bargained for when they begin to investigate several "accidents" on idyllic Peaceful Pear Island.
Audio, 0 pages
Published October 1st 2003 by New Millennium (GB) (first published February 9th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat Who Came to Breakfast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat Who Came to Breakfast

Sue
Dec 06, 2014 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, usa
A big resort has been built on Pear Island, aka Breakfast Island, aka Grand Island and Qwill for one is not happy about the changes. Qwill's friends Nick and Lori Bamba are now on the island running a B&B. Nick contacts Qwill because he's concerned about a series of recent accidents and wonders if Qwill would be willing to come over and snoop around. He goes - under the guise of reporting about the island and the resort for the Newspaper - and, of course, life is not dull during his 2 week ...more
Mrs.Y. Yeingst
Jan 29, 2009 Mrs.Y. Yeingst rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these books--the main character is funny and really understands how cats think. I also enjoy these stories because they are mysteries, my favorite genre.
Danny
Jan 05, 2011 Danny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
Ok, so I picked this up partly because I'm in charge of the Mystery/Adventure/Suspense area of my library and it behooves me to know more about the books in that section.

But also because there's this parody book called "The Cat Who Killed Lillian Jackson Braun," which I wanted to read. And I felt like I should read one of the books being parodied before I read the funny book.

I wasn't thrilled with this little mystery, though I guess I could see what people who DO like these books see in them. Ol
Becky
Apr 24, 2011 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
People who flock to Mackinac Island and enjoy mysteries will enjoy this tome. Though named differently, the mysteries take place on Breakfast (or Pear, or Grand, or Pirate, or ....) Island. The name changes depending on the type of resident. There are a lot of similarities between this fictitious island and Mackinac Island.

Fellow "The Cat Who..." fans already know the main characters and what they are usually up to. If you've been paying attention, Qwill and the siamese reside in a different pla
Courtney
Jun 01, 2014 Courtney rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not thrilled about this one. It seemed like they put the majority of the mystery solving in the last two chapters of the book and the rest of the chapters galavanting around breakfast island. However, the book did have potential, and since it was my first cat who book I'd be willing to give the series another shot before I doom them to the will not read shelf
itchy
Apr 25, 2016 itchy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: w
koko plays with dominoes at providence island this time

except my mind's on westeros
what a bummer
Michelle
May 25, 2015 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I continue to be impressed by the late author's mastery of language. Reading her books on Kindle expands my vocabulary, which is great fun.

As for the book, I'm really tired of Qwill and his curmudgeonly benevolence. He seemed less dimensional in this book than in the previous books. During the series, he's gone from being a somewhat realistic character to a "wise, knowing, curmudgeon who gives his billions to the community."

In this book, there seems to have been less emphasis and development on
Amy "the book-bat"
I would give this one a 3.5
Once again, Qwill and the cats are away from Pickax, so there were a lot of new-ish characters. Some we have met before, but they had larger roles this time around. A lot of seemingly unrelated "accidents" catch Qwill's attention and he investigates (of course).
The Hobbit
16th book in series. Journalist Jim Qwilleran and his two Siamese go to an idyllic island that is being developed as a resort. Although open only for two months, the new hotel has had a food poisoning that sent 15 people to the hospital and now a drowning. One of the B&B's that had just passed a structural inspection has a caved in step that injures an elderly visitor. When a boat blows up in the marina, Qwill is convinced these aren't accidents as the resorts owners and police claim - they ...more
Una Tiers
Oct 13, 2013 Una Tiers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorites. Qwilleran leaves Moose County (400 miles north of everywhere) but a case of regulars are also temporarily relocated. Another vacation for Polly seems to make room for another adventure.
Mary Tonks
Jul 14, 2015 Mary Tonks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Be careful when a big corporation tries to "improve" a beloved vacation destination!
Monica
Nov 27, 2014 Monica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The books in this series are always such a delight to read...relaxing, a way to escape into the world of Qwill and his cats, Koko and Yum Yum.

This time Qwill and the cats are off to Breakfast Island...aka Pear Island...where the locals are none too happy about the development that has taken place, turning the island into a “resort”. Accidents happen, deaths occur. Is it all coincidence or a plot to return the island to its former state of tranquility for the locals.

I did not see it coming, the e
Knit Spirit
Jan 13, 2014 Knit Spirit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bon, vous l’avez sans doute compris avec toutes les critiques que j’ai déjà pu poster sur la série des « Le chat qui… », j’adore ces livres ! Encore une fois, c’est avec joie que j’ai pu retrouver les différents personnages.
Cette histoire se passe sur une île, ça change un peu de d’habitude et c’est pas plus mal.
Les mystères qui entourent cette fameuse île m’ont tenu en halène de bout en bout et je me demandais vraiment comment cela pourrait finir.
Parfois, je me dis que les histoires de ce journ
Lisa Kucharski
I love the characters in this series which kept me reading this story, however the mystery was so distant... and Qwill's ability to get information so elusive that the quick summation at the end fell flat for me. In this story, Qwill goes to a nearby island where a new summer resort has pretty much inflicted itself and its crass commercialism on the locals. He goes to investigate a series of "accidents" and ends up trying to investigate but ... I it felt more like he was just wandering about.

Br
Wookie Wifey
Jan 14, 2014 Wookie Wifey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite books in the series...A series that, though I know I shouldn't, I unashamedly love. The characters are so cute and endearing that I find myself absorbed the instant I open the book. It brings back good feels as the small towns and bee-in-the-bonnet, meddling, yet well-meaning personalities of the inhabitants remind me of the one I grew up in, and I find Braun's writing is charming as can be. Though they are usually pretty predictable, I read for the characters and thei ...more
Lee
Book 16 finds Jim Qwillerin and his two Siamese cats Koko and Yum Yum visiting an island near Pickax. Breakfast Island, Providence Island or Grand Island as it's variously known has been developed with a large hotel, little shops and crowds of people much to the dismay of the full-time island residents. Now several deadly accidents have taken lives and Qwill suspects sabotage making Jim and his kitties curious. When they start investigating, several more incidents occur and Qwill is now sure it' ...more
Kirsti
Sep 07, 2015 Kirsti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cat lovers, Mystery lovers, Animal detective fans
This is one of two books out of the entire series that I have never read, due to the completely futile search to find them. Then, unexpectedly, my sister gave me a gift voucher for my birthday to Dymock's. I assumed the stores I visited in bigger cities would still be open, but the recent closures meant it was impossible to find one, so after a few months deliberation, I went online and to order books. I didn't expect there to be any available, but after typing in 'Lilian Jackson Braun' it came ...more
Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: This 16th in the long series has Qwilleran visiting his friends The Bambas, on Breakfast Island, a newly developed formerly "hunting lodges only" little place in the a lake near Pickaxe. A good, solidly satisfying cosy, with strong characters and a fast-moving plot.

A couple of weeks vacation starts out interesting and winds up deadly, as Qwill heads for the highly promoted “Pear Island Resorts”, a new development near which the Bambas are fixing up their bed’n’breakfast. Suspicious
Shannon
Yawnyawnyawnyawnyawn. Not the worst of these books I've read, but still patronizingly obnoxious and I found the mystery less than inspired - it could have been good & complex, but it failed to take advantage of the possibilities offered - which is why it's getting only 2 stars. It's almost worse when you can see that this could have been an intriguing book.

Not really surprised at this point. Listening for the sake of having something to listen to at this point!
Sheryl
Nov 04, 2015 Sheryl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have read a few books in this series. Some are good and some not so good. This is one that can easily be skipped. It never seems to quite get off the ground and when the ending comes along, you feel like you've been jipped. The ending never answered all my questions about the murders.
T.Scott
The cat who came to breakfast was boring to me. It would be a great for people who people who enjoy mysteries. In summary, there is this guy and this cat on a Breakfast island. The guy was invited to this hotel. Then an incident happen and he eventually solved the incident.
Roxana Griffith
Oct 14, 2015 Roxana Griffith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lillian will be missed by me. I have loved each and every one of her books. She took me to a nice place and kept my attention on the story. I was always able to come back to my book. Even if I didn't want to leave.
Jeana Rock
I love cats, so I liked the idea that this man loves his cats and they do funny, yet smart things. It was an okay plot, but I don't think I will read any other books by her.
Denise Kettering
Another book in the "Cat Who" series that delivers the same feel good reading experience as the earlier ones in the series. The mystery remains fairly lighthearted and free from any gory details. The cats remain the central figures and in their own way discover the truth behind the mystery. This book delivers the same inviting characters as the others in this series.

James Qwilleran sets out to explore a series of "accidents" on Breakfast Island and ends up trying to solve the death of his neighb
Suzanne
All of "The Cat Who. . . " books are entertaining and easy reads. There's just enough mystery to keep you reading but not so much that you need help.
Gina
Apr 12, 2014 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is my favorite of all her Cat Who books. It is probably because I love to read books where people are at retreats or on vacation.
Betsy
Jan 20, 2013 Betsy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was not as good (to me) as the previous Cat Who books. For one thing, Qwil didn't seem quite like himself and the early chapters. For the entire first half of the book it seemed like little to nothing was going on, except for Quil's meandering around Breakfast Island, being a crotchety old man, not even taking his usual interest in people or paying much attention to the cats. I give it a 3 star rating because the book comes through in the last several chapters -- Qwill is more like him ...more
Delia
Mar 29, 2016 Delia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a nice read! An honestly good cozy mystery.
No stupid clumsy characters or lovey-dovey sappy romance in the background. Ahhhh, nice!
Kin Caid
Jul 10, 2015 Kin Caid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Une petite lecture de vacance bien sympathique même si c'est très différent de ce qu'on attend d'un roman policier habituellement !
Eliana
Maine mysteries solved in great part by kitties Koko and Yum Yum, with assistance from their human, Mr. Qwilleran.
The Women's Myste...: The Cat Who Came to Breakfast #17 1 1 Aug 09, 2013 10:05PM
  • Murder, She Meowed (Mrs. Murphy, #5)
  • The Cat Who... Cookbook: Delicious Meals and Menus Inspired By Lilian Jackson Braun
  • Pussyfoot (Midnight Louie, #2)
  • The Cat Who Killed Lilian Jackson Braun
  • Sleight of Paw (A Magical Cats Mystery, #2)
  • Cat on the Edge (Joe Grey, #1)
  • The Cat, the Lady and the Liar (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #3)
Lilian Jackson Braun was an American writer. She is well-known for her light-hearted series of The Cat Who... mystery novels. The Cat Who books center around the life of former newspaper reporter James Qwilleran, and his two Siamese cats, KoKo and Yum Yum in the fictitious small town of Pickax located in Moose County, "400 miles north of everywhere." Although never formally stated in the books, th ...more
More about Lilian Jackson Braun...

The Cat Who... (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1)
  • The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2)
  • The Cat Who Turned On and Off (Cat Who..., #3)
  • The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4)
  • The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who... #5)
  • The Cat Who Played Post Office (Cat Who..., #6)
  • The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)
  • The Cat Who Sniffed Glue (Cat Who... #8)
  • The Cat Who Went Underground (Cat Who... #9)
  • The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts (Cat Who... #10)