Start by marking “Back to School, Splat!” as Want to Read:
Back to School, Splat!

Back to School, Splat! (Splat the Cat)

How can there be homework when it's only the first day of school? Splat must pick only one of all of his fun summer adventures to share with his classmates at show-and-tell. But in the end, Splat may find that the best part of his summer wasn't an adventure at all. . . .
Published June 28th 2011 by HarperFestival

To ask other readers questions about Back to School, Splat!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Back to School, Splat!

Kayla
May 11, 2011 Kayla rated it liked it
This book really should be called Splat's Show and Tell or something similar, as back-to-school isn't the true topic of the story. It's all about Splat recalling the fun things he did over the summer in order to choose something for his show and tell project. Pretty cute book, but someone should talk to Rob Scotton about topic sentences. Not one to pick up if you're actually looking for a story about going to school--we don't even see Splat AT school. The original Splat book is a better choice f ...more
Kiera Turner
Jun 19, 2014 Kiera Turner rated it really liked it
This book is so cute! I would love to read this book on the first day of school and then have a discussion of what each child did over the summer. That way the children get to talk more about themselves and get a chance to listen and make connections based on their peers summer adventures!
Jamie
It was Splat's first day of school. Splat was super excited to see all of his friends and his teacher. At the end of the day Splat was no longer excited. Splat's little sister asked why he was not excited? Splat told his sister that he has homework. His homework was a show and tell assignment from what he did over the summer. Splat told his sister that he did a lot of fun stuff and picking one would be very hard. As Splat is telling his readers what he did over the summer Splat's little sister a ...more
Danielle Baker
Oct 14, 2013 Danielle Baker rated it really liked it
Shelves: spalt-the-cat
Review:

Here is silly old Spalt again. This is a great story to read the first couple weeks of school. Splat uses his imagination to think about all the things he could have done over the summer and he kept leaving his little sister out. It's cute when he decides to bring his little sister for show and share. Also I could read the story during a unit of study of family. We would discuss different family memebers and who all lives in our home.

Learning Experience:

I would have the children tell me w
Melissa
Jan 10, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Another book featuring my son's favorite ultra fluffy literary cat..Splat. In this book Splat gets homework on his very first day back to school.

This one was cute as we learned all about the adventures Splat had over the summer. I love how he realized how important his sister was during those adventures

As always my son LOVED the book. While he didn't catch onto certain things like Splat was swimming in swimming pool the whole time and not the ocean with sharks he still was able to get the overa
Brenda
Sep 04, 2012 Brenda rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Splat the Cat series lovers
Shelves: picture-books
Over the summer Splat has his sister following him around as he was having one fun adventure after the other (snorkeling in the deep ocean etc.). Who hasn't had a sibling tagging along and can relate? Except now on the first day of school, his homework is to tell the class what he did over the summer. What's a poor kitty to do when he can't think of anything? Lucky for him, he comes up with a heart warming answer. I read this as a paperback, but would have loved it as a hardcover book instead.
Zoraya Brown
This book, I would use to teach children about having siblings and how great it can be. I would help them to see how Splat's little sister always helped him out even when he told her she couldn't come, and compare that to how siblings can help, too. I would also talk about the various things that children can do during the summertime as Splat does in the story and we would bring in our very own show and tell items from the Summer. Sometimes children don't like to help each other, and this book c ...more
Dolly
Aug 28, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is another fun book in the Splat the Cat series, originally by Rob Scotton. The story is cute and the illustrations are as adorable as ever.

I'm not sure how I feel about the numerous stories in the series created recently by other authors and illustrators; it feels a bit commercial, but our girls like them, so I suppose that's all that matters.
Karen
Jul 06, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
Ah, Splat. I remember being so excited about that first day of school. That first day of new opportunities. But then came the first night's homework. Why did Summer have to go by so fast?

Splat gets to relive his Summer a bit for his prep work for the next day's Show and Tell. And Splat discovers what really was the best part of his summer.

The illustrations -- as always -- are adorable.
Rosa Cline
Splat the Cat is excited to go back to school after summer, but after his first day of school he's disappointed because he has homework. He has to do show and tell about his summer. He says to his little sister that his summer was full of wonderful things that there is to much to talk about,... without telling the story in the end he realizes out of all the wonderful things he did the most wonderful was his little sister! A wonderful 'sibling' book!
Even more adorable than the original. This one features Splat and his little sister. Splat is stressed because he has to take something to show and tell, something that represents what he did over the summer. Splat did a lot of things, so he’s having a hard time choosing something. He and his little sister recount all of the fun things Splat did, and Splat starts to notice a constant in his summer fun: his sister. So adorable! I now have to read all of the Splat the Cat books.
Sandy
This is a good read aloud for Pre K-3rd for the first day of school. Pictures are big and detailed. Splat has to write about what he did over the summer and as he goes through everyting he did there was one constant thing, he spent all his adventures with his little sister and that was his most favorite part of the summer.
Nicole
Aug 29, 2011 Nicole rated it really liked it
Read to my 2-year-old today. Bought it for my 8-year-old to go with the rest of his Splat collection. The best part about the Splat books is, of course, the pictures. They're so darling and totally lovable. The story on this one doesn't have as much to do with school (other than the premise for his homework assignment) as it does with family. Simple story and cute. Great kids' book!
Monique Williams
This book could be used during the first week of school to get the children to draw pictures or write stories about their summer. It could be used to help children who may need little reminders of the little things they did over the summer.
Jazmin Palma
Cute story about siblings. An activity I would do is having the children talk about the qualities for their siblings, older or younger. The children can draw a picture about something they like about their sibling and I would write what the children dictate to me.
Tc
Jun 27, 2014 Tc rated it really liked it
Rob Scotton does it again with this sweet Splat story. This book would be perfect in a classroom for text connection discussions about school, siblings, summer vacation, and using imagination during play. The fabulous artwork just adds to the enjoyment!
saferia
Aug 26, 2011 saferia rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-fiction
Great "back-to-school" read for kindergarteners and first graders. My students really enjoyed the story, and were able to make accurate predictions about how the story would end. A good read for brothers and sisters as well.
Joy
Oct 29, 2011 Joy rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, cats
My son loves Splat the Cat, so this was a perfect back to school book. I love Splat's imagination. What made this book special for our family was the sibling interaction since my son has a little sister just like Splat the Cat. Cute illustrations and an endearing story.
Christina Maksymczuk
I would read this book during the first few days of school and have then draw a picture of their brother or sister and dictate what they say on their papers about their summer.
Diane
Of all the things Splat did over the summer, he's most proud of his little sister who always tagged along.
Oct 01, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Love Splat! This one is a great BTS read aloud.
Huda
Jul 22, 2011 Huda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: en-pic-books
It wasn't easy on Splat to pick only one activity to share with his classmates. His summer was quite busy.
Tara Ramos
Aug 24, 2016 Tara Ramos rated it did not like it
bleh- gender stereotypes, Splat finds his little sister annoying and continually tells her she is incompetent.
Stephanie Tercero
Jul 10, 2011 Stephanie Tercero rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ls-5360
I would add this book to a school library.
Holly Letson
I was very UNimpressed with this story. I really disliked how mean Splat was to his younger sister during his summertime adventures.
Nancy Jo Lambert
Jan 06, 2013 Nancy Jo Lambert rated it liked it
Shelves: series, humorous
This addition to this series is just as good as the others! I know that kids who are fans of this series, are really going to enjoy this book. Another Splat the Cat hit!
Shelby Troutman
'typical' book. I may provide this book as an easy read for younger students.
K.
Oct 12, 2014 K. rated it it was amazing
Another awesome read from the Splat the Cat series. Great read for back-to-school time.
Ijanaya
Sep 17, 2015 Ijanaya rated it it was amazing
Great book!
Kailey Roberts
Kailey Roberts rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Night Before First Grade
  • Don't Eat the Teacher
  • Bailey
  • Apple Trouble!
  • Three Samurai Cats: A Story from Japan
  • Blue Goose
  • Duck at the Door (Max the Duck)
  • Curious George Curious You: On Your Way!
  • Amelia Bedelia's First Day of School
  • Bats at the Ballgame
  • Kindergarten Rocks!
  • Sea Monster's First Day
  • Mrs. McNosh and the Great Big Squash
  • She's Wearing a Dead Bird on Her Head!
  • Never, Ever Shout in a Zoo
  • Pirates Go to School
  • Cookie's Week
  • Sneeze, Big Bear, Sneeze!
Rob Scotton is the bestselling author and illustrator of "Russell the Sheep," and "Russell and the Lost Treasure." His latest book, "Splat the Cat" is the story of a young cat facing all the wonders and worries of his first day at cat school. Rob's work can also be found on greeting cards, ceramics, textiles, prints, stationery, and glassware. An honors graduate of Leicester Polytechnic, Rob now l ...more
More about Rob Scotton...

Splat the Cat (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Splat the Cat
  • Love, Splat (Splat the Cat)
  • Merry Christmas, Splat
  • Scaredy-Cat, Splat!
  • Splish, Splash, Splat!
  • Splat the Cat: Splat the Cat Sings Flat
  • Splat the Cat: Where's the Easter Bunny? (Splat the Cat)
  • Splat the Cat: Good Night, Sleep Tight