Start by marking “Choices: Taking Control of Your Life and Making It Matter” as Want to Read:
Choices: Taking Control of Your Life and Making It Matter

Choices: Taking Control of Your Life and Making It Matter

“Melody Beattie gives you the tools to discover the magnificence and splendor of your being.” — Deepak Chopra, author of Jesus and Buddha

“Beattie understands being overboard, which helps her throw bestselling lifelines to those still adrift.” — Time magazine

From the New York Times bestselling author of Codependent No More, The Language of Letting Go, Finding Your Way Home
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Choices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Choices

Michelle
Jan 21, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Choices" by Melody Beattie is a unique non-fiction book. I've never encountered anything like it before. Normally it takes me forever to read non-fiction, but she sprinkles in stories and scenarios that are interesting to read and help her make the point in each chapter that she is trying to convey. "Choices" is filled with a lot of truth and many useful lessons about how we make choices all the time whether we realize it or not. Some parts (the stuff about reincarnation and spiritual journeys ...more
Mckinley
Self-help with a Christian bent. Choices have consequences. Starts with cause and effect, talks about living in the mystery (here the process of becoming real), linking (past work on?) codependency with being grateful (that "when you learn your lessons, the pain goes away), one step at a time that works for you, give of yourself, all with God's help.
Sharon
Mar 01, 2017 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A reality-check of a book about the power and consequence of choices large and small, and no matter what the circumstances and situations of life are. Beattie is compassionate and real, calming and straight-talking. Her work is so important to codependents everywhere, although I would say that the insight about choices in this book can apply to everyone at some point in their lives.
Hilary
Where Stop Being Mean to Yourself largely failed to engage me Choices consistently engaged me. I breezed through this book quickly, and felt that that the end of it I had indeed learned something. It's nice to find a self-help book that consistently maintains such a positive outlook on life, and on all that a person can accomplish therein. Melody Beattie tends to be relentlessly upbeat while also continuing to approach the topics of self-improvement from a blunt, no hold's barred sort of way. ...more
Tanya Harrison
Jul 31, 2015 Tanya Harrison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the type of book that you want to savor like a cup of tea. It's nice and relaxing to take small sips or read small samples at a time in order to enjoy and absorb all of these wonderful and meaningful stories. It's a book for improving your life and uplifting your spirit.

Her writing style is very engaging. When you see how many books she's written you'll understand why.
Natalie
The one thing I liked about this book was all the stories in it causing me to think more about my own choices in life. Otherwise, I felt it was confusing and disorganized and I didn't get a clear picture of the points she was trying to make. Quick and easy read though.
Gatlianne Gatlianne
I almost read this book in one sitting. Beattie has a lovely way of laying her point out there in a simplistic yet profound way. This book was one of those quite life changers. It doesn't rattle you. It doesn't shake you out of your stupor. It very gently helps you wake up.
Andrea
Apr 25, 2013 Andrea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a book with lots of anecdotes from people on the things that have happened in their life and the consequences of their choices. I thought it was decidedly non-religious. I didn't really find the book that helpful.
Jen Gurney
Life changing.
Larry Moore
Nov 09, 2012 Larry Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Melody Beattie is one of my favorite Authors.
Reading her books I always feel they were written for me.
Charisma Tandy
Feb 07, 2013 Charisma Tandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous! Reading it for the 2nd time. Taking notes and highlighting this time.
Kari
Feb 10, 2011 Kari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot a great information and ideas to think about.
Romaine and Bill Conner
Romaine and Bill Conner rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2014
John
John rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2014
Alicia
Alicia rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Sonia Bellani
Sonia Bellani rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2013
Dolores
Dolores rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Lori Hopper
Lori Hopper rated it really liked it
May 19, 2015
Sandra Raney
Sandra Raney rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2016
Jenny
Jul 23, 2012 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2014
Sharen
Sharen rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2015
Lobna
Lobna rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2009
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2013
Joanne Rose
Joanne Rose rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2017
Inès Younkins
Inès Younkins rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2015
Austin Lewis
Austin Lewis rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Reconna
Reconna rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2017
Elaine T Martens
Elaine T Martens rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2016
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Workbook for Dummies
  • The Guru in You: A Personalized Program for Rejuvenating Your Body and Soul: Unlock the Powers of Health and Healing Within
  • Don't Call That Man!: A Survival Guide to Letting Go
  • The Body Image Workbook: An Eight-Step Program for Learning to Like Your Looks
  • Find Out Who's Normal and Who's Not: Proven Techniques to Quickly Uncover Anyone's Degree of Emotional Stability
  • The Little Black Book of Big Red Flags
  • The Illustrated Rumi: A Treasury of Wisdom from the Poet of the Soul
  • Healing Your Aloneness: Finding Love and Wholeness Through Your Inner Child
  • Boundaries and Relationships: Knowing, Protecting and Enjoying the Self
  • The Wisdom of a Broken Heart: An Uncommon Guide to Healing, Insight, and Love
  • Spiritual Partnership: The Journey to Authentic Power
  • You Are Here: Exposing the Vital Link Between What We Do and What That Does to Our Planet
  • Zapped: Why Your Cell Phone Shouldn't Be Your Alarm Clock and 1,268 Ways to Outsmart the Hazards of Electronic Pollution
  • Living a Charmed Life: Your Guide to Turning the Ordinary into the Extraordinary
  • The Ten Things to Do When Your Life Falls Apart: An Emotional and Spiritual Handbook
  • Your Perfect Right: Assertiveness and Equality in Your Life and Relationships
  • Everything Happens for a Reason: Finding the True Meaning of the Events in Our Lives
  • Facing Love Addiction: Giving Yourself the Power to Change the Way You Love
Over the years, Melody Beattie has become well-known in the world of self-help literature. After turning away from a life of addiction and suffering, Melody shared her own story in order to help others change theirs. Her overnight sensation, Codependant No More, has been influencing millions for over twenty years. Her passion for writing has resulted in fifteen books, including: Co-Dependants Anon ...more
More about Melody Beattie...