Start by marking “Across the Universe (Across the Universe #1)” as Want to Read:
Across the Universe (Across the Universe #1)

Across the Universe (Across the Universe #1)

3.78  ·  Rating Details ·  97,602 Ratings  ·  9,446 Reviews
A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder....

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, 300 years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end 50 years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaces
MP3 CD, Unabridged Retail Edition, 1 page
Published January 11th 2011 by Listening Library (Audio)

To ask other readers questions about Across the Universe, please sign up.

Mirica Eclipse There are moments where the characters walk in on other characters mating (that's how they refer to it), and one of the characters is almost raped.…moreThere are moments where the characters walk in on other characters mating (that's how they refer to it), and one of the characters is almost raped. The language isn't too bad. She makes up her own curse words.

You should also know that suicide is a big component of the novel as well, especially in the last quarter.(less)

Ava Oceana
3.5

When I found ACROSS THE UNIVERSE at the library, I spent several minutes trying to decipher what the cover was. I finally decided that the cover featured space fish kissing before I realized that it was actually a girl and a boy trying to kiss, Spider-Man style.

Before you laugh, look:

Lip-Locked Fish
description

VERSUS

Cover
description

Told you.
Kat Kennedy
I've heard it mentioned before that DNF(Did Not Finish)reviews were useless and self-indulgent. Why would someone want to read a review by someone who didn't even finish the book?

My answer to that?

have a fucking cookie

There's always going to be a small fraction of reviewers who don't connect with a book and can't finish it, but to dismiss all DNF reviews, I think, is problematic. Especially for an author.

Because it's not necessarily the reader's fault for not being able to connect to the book. Often there are rooki
Cory
Jan 12, 2011 Cory rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't enjoy Across the Universe as much as I thought I would. Like most YA, after the first 100 pages, you know you're reading a novel written for teens. That isn't a bad thing, but readers looking for a deep, complex novel, aren't going to find it here.

ETA: YA is not synonymous with shallow. Some writers think it is, but it isn't. They think that because they're writing for teens, they get a pass to write a book filled with plot holes. I don't think that's the case with Beth Revis, but I jus
Jillian -always aspiring-
I had much trouble forming my thoughts about this book to write a review. Across the Universe is a hard book to describe. Yes, it has that lovely cover that beckons everyone to read it. Yes, it has an interesting premise. Yes, it has all these elements to make it a brilliant read, something fresh and exciting. But, for me, it just didn't give me everything I had wanted.

Dystopias and I have a love-hate relationship. I love The Hunger Games and Unwind -- but others books, like Matched and Wither,
Elizabeth Usual
May 20, 2011 Elizabeth Usual rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Feeders,
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Bookstore employee who better hope we never run into each other again.
There were a lot of problems with this book. Some were parts that just fell flat when they should have created some intrigue, and some were full on fail. I think I can divide my issues with the book into four categories: Flat Characters, Obvious Plot Twists, Science!Fail, and Bad Storytelling. I'll keep the spoilers behind cuts, and try to give a fair account and some suggestions for improvement. Let's start with...

Flat Characters:
Amy is a girl. She's got red hair. She likes running. She loves h
Jessica (priceiswong)
Jul 20, 2015 Jessica (priceiswong) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Really enjoyed this! I loved all of the twists and surprises! The characters were just okay though... This could have been a 5 star book, I think, if I'd loved them more! I think Harley was my favorite :'( I'm excited to read on and see where this story goes!
Trina (Between Chapters)
Update 2/11/17 - After reading the second book and having more time to sit on it, I'm lowering my rating of this one from 3 stars to 2.5 stars. The sequel was fine, but this first book was a rough start and was a mostly negative experience for me.

Update 2/8/17 - Got my hands on a copy of the print book so I've edited this to include some direct quotes from the book about the issues I brought up.

Original 2/6/17 -I wrote some harsh things about this book on Twitter and in earlier reading updates a
Lyndsey
Space is awesome! I say that like I've been there. For all you know, I have. I could be a certified astronaut in the U.S. Space Program who took time off from being in space to write fiction about being in space and that's why I've been on Goodreads so much. I could be.... You don't know.

Okay, so I'm not. I haven't nor probably never will go to outer space, but that doesn't stop me from thinking it's the coolest and most awesomest thing in the universe. Which as a matter of fact it actually is t
Steph Sinclair

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

I have read a few YA dystopian society books and I have to say, I really enjoyed this one. It would have gotten 4 stars, but I found the ending to be a bit predictable. There were also a few things I didn't like. There will probably be spoilers in this review, but I'll indicate where I'm about to reveal something.

Across the Universe is a really cool story about a girl named Amy who is frozen in time for 250 years aboard the space ship Godspeed. However, she is violently a
Emily May
As science-fiction, or as a dystopian space mystery this book was pretty much awesome. I loved the idea behind it: frozen people being transported on a spaceship to a new planet, destined to arrive in 300 years from take-off... but, uh-oh, not everything goes to plan. Someone is reviving the frozen people in their containers with the intention of letting them drown.

I really liked this whole aspect of it, and I've never been a space story fan. I never cared for Star Wars, Star Trek... or anything
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
First of all: YAY I FINALLY FINISHED A BOOK FOR THE FIRST TIME IN LIKE OVER A WEEK WOOOO. Now on to the actual(ish) review! I AM SO MAD AT MYSELF FOR WAITING SO LONG TO READ THIS. I've had it on my shelf for years and finally decided to pick it up on a whim and WOW. I loved it SO MUCH. I want the next ones already bc I am dying to know how it ends!!
Krystle
Aug 06, 2010 Krystle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book has one of the most beautiful covers I’ve ever seen but…
I hated this book. HATED it.

Why? Because all the characters sucked. Elder is just a horny boy who only thinks with his brain down there whenever he sees Amy, and Amy is just a dumb, pathetic protagonist who can do nothing for herself. The whole time she is either moping or screaming, nothing in between and when she’s moping all she can think about is all the times she missed out with her oh so wonderful boyfriend she left behind (
Juliana Zapata
May 08, 2015 Juliana Zapata rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Estoy impresionada con esta historia, me parece sumamente original, las emociones y el peligro son protagonistas. El libro se pone mejor a cada página, descubrimos las mil mentiras con las que funciona "Fortuna" y nos enamoramos de los protagonistas.

Me ha encantado, espero leer pronto el segundo libro.

Reseña Completa: http://bastvilard.blogspot.com/2015/0...
Lotte
A highly underrated book in my opinion. A great mix of science-fiction, dystopia and murder mystery that keeps you guessing until the very last page. Also a great trilogy as a whole! Definitely recommend this.
Hailey (HaileyInBookland)
4.5*
More thoughts later, now I must sleep
oliviasbooks
4.5 stars. The spaceship Goodspeed is on its 300 years long journey to an inhabitable planet, Centauri-Earth. On board are about hundred specialists and their families (bio-engineers, tacticians, sociologists) stored as frozen human cargo in the deep and forgotten bowels of the huge vessel as well as two and a half thousand common inhabitants, who either research plants, weather and livestock for the future socialization or farm and produce goods for the small community. Since an obscure past ev ...more
Sandy
I really, REALLY wanted to love Across the Universe. I've been eagerly anticipating this book for months. And then...I started reading. And it put me to sleep three nights in a row.

I hate that feeling when a book you've looked forward to for so long turns out to be...meh.

Part of my problem? I read Maria V. Snyder's Inside Out last week, and I couldn't help but make comparisons with Inside Out so fresh in my mind. Inside Out is so unique and compelling that Across the Universe felt flat, weary, a
Princess Bookie
May 27, 2010 Princess Bookie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read2010
My Thoughts: Wow, Wow, Wow! I tend to stay away from Sci-fi based novels but this one blew me away. As soon as I saw the summary I knew I wanted to read it, than the cover alone is worth buying it over.

We are introduced to Amy right away and her thoughts and feelings. She is getting ready to be frozen and even the very beginning of the book is very intense. The first few pages made my stomach hurt because I felt so sorry for her because the decision she had to make was huge. Than a few pages la
Nomes
I'm just going to come right out and say it: This book was BRILLIANT and I absolutely LOVED every moment of it. I devoured it all through the night and have been thinking about it ever since (3 weeks ago).

Where to begin with my (rave-on) review?

It's epic, dystopian, has an impossible romance, mystery, creativity and lots of heart and soul.

The prose: Gorgeous and evocative. For a sci-fi it was so not complicated to follow - it flowed seamlessly.

The whole concept: Mate, it's so well explored. Th
Kiki
Dec 26, 2011 Kiki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, favorites, dystopian
I unexpectedly LOVED this one, up until the last eight pages, which were bullshit.

(Also the whole nuclear thing annoyed me because that's just not how spacecraft engines work, but I was enjoying the story so much that the science fails washed over me.)

Review to come. Damn those eight pages.
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Lessons learned :
Never trust history.
Never trust doctors.
Never trust scientists.
Never trust technology.
Never trust blanket medication.

Overall my experience with this book was like meeting and falling in love, being excited and happy, then slowly finding out that he's not perfect. He drinks out of the milk carton, he ignores you in favour of sports events and when you finally get his clothes off he's as smooth as a Ken doll but insists he can still have children. Then finding out he's right he c
Ariana
"A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder."

So..

# First - the cover is absolutely gorgeous (at least I love it) and this is what made me want to read this book.. And so the myth saying that a book with a great cover is always horrible is busted (just) for the moment ;))

# Second, the cover and the beginning of the quote from above are just a bit wrong - this is not really a love story (not so far), we have some romance in it but it is a small part of this book compared to ever
Denisse
Jun 16, 2012 Denisse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA Sci-Fi fans
Recommended to Denisse by: What else? THE COVER.
Shelves: crushes
With a fluent pace and fresh sci-fi/mystery elements, Across the Universe offers a light read mixed with some glimpses of serious topics. The entire dynamic of the spaceship and how it is controlled was very well developed, and while it does takes some time to start the actual plot, the first pages are very interesting and well written. Beth Revis has some of the best sci-fi ideas I have read about, and even when I’d want her to do an adult book, her young adult light development is always refre ...more
Yulitza Moncada
Feb 27, 2016 Yulitza Moncada rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Siempre quise leer este libro y no sé por qué no lo había hecho, DIOS MIO ME ENCANTO!!

El libro me ha sorprendido totalmente, la historia me envolvió como tienen idea, es muy original y los personajes aunque no son muchos y no te saturas de tantos te llegas a meter tanto en la historia que cuando vas a ver, solo te faltan 20 páginas para terminar el libro ya que no te aburres ni te cansas, ni se te va a ser una historia pesada para nada, estoy magnificada con el mundo que construyo la autora dent
V
Jul 12, 2012 V rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, fiction
Hello everybody, and welcome to another one of Nessa's reviews. This time we're looking at Across The Universe by Beth Revis, a YA novel set on a dystopian (don't you dare run away!) spaceship.

Before we begin, I have one thing to get out of the way – the cover. So many times I would pick this book up in the shop and focus on the white space, wondering what the hell it was supposed to be. Is it supposed to be a spark made by two worlds colliding? No, the planets are shaped too weirdly. Is it two
Cherry
Oct 12, 2014 Cherry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
descriptiondescription
Keeper Level Shipper Level Feeder Level

The whole idea of an enormous spaceship is just AMAZING.
Well-constructed world. Brilliantly crafted mystery and suspense.
Severe case of insta-love.

This is nothing I've expected. I'm somewhat surprised.
I did enjoy the book and it's worth reading.
If you LOVE sci-fi, you should definitely pick up this book.

Amy's parents have been chosen to be a part of the secretive space mission to a whole new planet, Centauri-Earth. Amy and her parents have been frozen and p
Nic
Aug 26, 2010 Nic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Favourite quote:- “It is like a piece of my soul had been lost, empty, and it is now filled with the light of a million stars.”

Wow! What an amazing debut. Across the Universe is a book that you will get lost in and completely forget about the rest of the world. Utterly captivating.

It is unique with it’s mix of part space travel, part thriller and part romance. If you are worried that it sounds too sci-fi with all that space travel talk, it is not at all. It will definitely appeal to fans of para
Maureen
I thought this book was just alright.
I liked it, I enjoyed it, and it was a real page-turner, but I don't think I want to continue on with the series at this point.

I loved the world Beth Revis created, but I feel like there could've been more done with it. I'm sure it's explored in the later books, but especially the first half of this book felt really pointless and empty.

overall I enjoyed it but not enough to read the other books in the trilogy. Maybe someday when my TBR is at 0 I will, but h
Crystal Starr Light
Amy Martin is put into cryogenic freeze with her parents, to travel to a far distant world called Centauri-Earth, which the ship, Godspeed will reach in 300 years. But she is awakened suddenly and nearly dies in the process. Who woke her from her sleep and who is killing the others cryogenically frozen?

I love science fiction. I love Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica...even hard scifi, like Arthur C. Clarke. And when I started this book, I adored it! There is just far too little scifi out there in
Crazy for Young A...: Across The Universe (Across The Universe #1) by Beth Revis → Start Date: March 13, 2017 12 20 Feb 02, 2017 10:48PM
Drop Everything A...: Across the Universe 4 27 Feb 02, 2017 06:14AM
Did Passengers copy it? 41 2721 Jan 27, 2017 10:59PM
Around the Year i...: Across the Universe, by Beth Revis 2 50 Jul 09, 2016 03:22PM
http://healthflyup.com/revi-spa-cream/ 1 3 Jun 23, 2016 08:59PM
Addicted to Ink: * The Characters (SPOILERS) 3 22 Mar 10, 2016 09:02PM
  • A Long, Long Sleep
  • Spark (Sky Chasers, #2)
  • Shattered Souls (Souls, #1)
  • All These Things I've Done (Birthright, #1)
  • Shift (Shade, #2)
  • Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky, #2)
  • Fever (The Chemical Garden, #2)
  • For Darkness Shows the Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1)
  • Earthseed
  • Tempest (Tempest, #1)
  • Hourglass (Hourglass, #1)
  • Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1)
  • Prized (Birthmarked, #2)
  • Forgotten
  • Neva
  • Earth Girl (Earth Girl, #1)
  • Middle Ground (Awaken, #2)
  • Breathe (Breathe, #1)
Beth Revis writes books. She also eats too much chocolate, wishes she could travel more, and prefers puppies to people. Beth lives in rural NC with her boys: one husband, one son, two very large puppies.
More about Beth Revis...

Across the Universe (3 books)
  • A Million Suns (Across the Universe, #2)
  • Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)

“I never thought about how important the sky was until I didn't have one.” 664 likes
“Power isn’t control at all — power is strength, and giving that strength to others. A leader isn’t someone who forces others to make him stronger; a leader is someone willing to give his strength to others that they may have the strength to stand on their own.” 519 likes