Start by marking “Slowing Down to the Speed of Life: How To Create a Peaceful, Simpler Life F” as Want to Read:
Slowing Down to the Speed of Life: How To Create a Peaceful, Simpler Life F

Slowing Down to the Speed of Life: How To Create a Peaceful, Simpler Life F

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  212 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Feel like you're always rushing but never catching up?Are you doing more, but enjoying it less? The frantic pace and pressure of modern life can take a serious toll on your happiness and your health'but there is one way to step off the treadmill without giving up your career or your activities. The answer lies not in sacrificing your work productivity or your lifestyle but...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Slowing Down to the Speed of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slowing Down to the Speed of Life

Safat
ওয়েস্টার্ন ফিলসফি সম্ভবত জন্ম থেকেই অনেক বেশি 'mind dominated'.' Mind dominated' মানে হল,ঝগড়াঝাঁটি তর্কাতর্কি বিচার-বিশ্লেষণ এবং কাঁটাছেড়ার সংস্কৃতি। একটু ব্যাখ্যা করি। ধরা যাক,আপনি এবং আপনার বন্ধু দুজনেই হলেন অনেক বড় মাপের ফিলসফার। আপনি বললেন জীবনের আসল উদ্দেশ্য হল আসলে খাওয়াদাওয়া করা,আপনার বন্ধু বলল যে জীবনের আসল উদ্দেশ্য হল ঘুমানো। এখন খাওয়া না ঘুমানো-কোনটা জীবনের আসল উদ্দেশ্য এটা নিয়ে আপনারা দুইজন মরে ভূত হবার পরও আপনাদের ভক্তরা এটা নিয়ে তর্ক বিতর্ক করতেই থাকবে। তারপর একশো বছর পর যখন সমাজ ও...more
Charity (CJ)
Ironically, perhaps, I read through this book very quickly.

I really like the basic idea---that through mindfulness and in-the-moment living, we can bring back the balance between our analytical and non-analytical thought processes, thereby derailing the circuitous train of thought that often leads us in a circle of stress, confusion, and overwhelm. The chapter on parenting was an especially good reminder for me, particularly the section about having compassion for our children's moods, even when...more
Eh. I got almost halfway through when I decided that "change your thoughts to change your feelings" just doesn't often work for me, and I lost interest.
Phil
Scanned/read it as a reference from another author (Leo Babauta) that I admire on the same subject. Mostly useful for the tools that they give you, in dealing with stessors. Probably pretty standard "psycho-therapy" treatment in book form. I scanned probably 60% and read the rest (relationships, children). Good reference. There are better, more up-to-date works out there, now, on the same subjects.
Stacy
Apr 14, 2010 Stacy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stacy by: Ken
Shelves: non-fiction
I liked the content of this book. I definitely can get on board with the idea that most of our stress is a direct result of our thoughts. I am only giving the book three stars, however, because I thought is was poorly written and presented. But as long as you look beyond all the awkward sentences it was pretty insightful.
Ken
In this book Richard Carlson and Joseph Bailey teach you how to create a more peaceful, simpler life from the inside out. It all starts by changing our thought patterns. A great read for anyone who wants to improve not only their life but the lives of those around them.
Richard
Aimed at those feeling rush, harried, stressed or if you ever feel like you can never get enough done (so that'd be all of us, nowadays!) this book explains how you can achieve a calmer state of mind on a day-to-day basis.

I'm a big fan of Richard Carlson's books since I discovered them, and like his other books, "Slowing Down to the Speed of Life" delivered some great wisdom that in itself caused me to slow down and reflect on how we have more leisure time than ever, but seem to be less satisfie...more
Sean Goh
No matter where you go, you always take your thinking with you.
Without thinking, there would be no experience.
Thoughts and feeling are inseparable.

Analytic thinking works best when we have close-to complete information.
Using it for matters of the heart will lead to negative emotions arising.
When trying to force answers instead of letting them unfold, we end up rushing around frantic, confused and frustrated.
Such negative feelings are an emotional compass that something is up.

Admitting that we d...more
Lia
Okay, I've finished and updated my review. If you are wondering about reading this book, read my review to get the concepts, and you can probably skip the book.

From the book: "Given that thoughts and feelings are one and the same ..."

Something kept bugging me about the approach in this book, and I think this is it. I don't think thoughts and feelings are one and the same. That's not a given for me. So, their premise keeps tilting back and forth as it wobbles on this problem. Just prior to this...more
Gordon Gatiss
Many people do not read books, but they too have problems and issues in life. If you are not a normal book reader and you are asking questions about how you could change your life ... then this book could be a book you will enjoy and get a lot from.

For those of you who have read a lot of self-help books, and think you know a thing or two, then you may find this book telling you what you already know. However, if you don’t know what you don’t know, then try reading this book. It is clear and well...more
Michelle
A friend recommended this book for me...hinting I may want to slow down because I am always so busy. Self-helps are hard for me to read because I feel like the information is common sense. I know I should/could be doing things to simply and de-stress my life, yet I fall off the wagon and go back to my daily routine of craziness too often. There was no new ground breaking information, but sometimes we all need a nudge or reminder to do those things that are good for us - for our health and relati...more
Mel
Live in the moment and maintain perspective for a calmer life and less stress.
The book is good for introducing this to people that aren't aware they control they're reaction to something, but it's very repetitive and droll for those that get it in the first chapter.
There are chapters for dealing with children and work which some people may want to skip to if they just need a refresher or reminder on this.
Amy
Very yogic, without mentioning yoga - or religion at all - for that matter, while seeming complementary to any of the major religion's teachings. But I understand how to access this mindset better through this book than I have through any yogic text or religious writings I've read. Everyone's life would be enhanced by learning how to slow down a little more and take time to enjoy life, moment by moment.
Karena
OK, I can usually finish a book...and I'm usually pretty patient...but you'd have to be very mellow to read this book fully! There might be a few snippits of information which are useful, but there is a lot wading to get to them. Whoever can read this book probably doesn't need it. ;)
Anna
Short, simple, and easy enough for an engineer to understand ('cuz we dun like no psychology or fuzzy sciences). This books is the only one that made me hopeful about handling stress. I'm buying one for each of my family members.
Sandy
Living from the inside out. Realizing that outer circumstances do not cause stress or disappointment etc. The way we think about outer circumstances creates the way we see and feel about them. Highly recommended.
Tatjana
Good book. Mentioned some of the same ideas that my Weight watchers leader mentioned. Simple processes that don't require journalling for 30 minutes a day... very reasonable changes in one's life.
Shirley
This book changed my life. Are you a workholic? Or more relevant perhaps, do your friends think you're a workholic? Is there never enough time? Are you always busy, busy, busy? Read this book.
Jonathan-David Jackson
I've just read this book for the second time. It reminded me to slow my mind down (again), and I think I'll probably need to read it a few more times before it really takes.
Tara O'Neal

I, daily, am reminded of things that this book taught me. It was recommended to me by my therapist. It was really every helpful and I'm so glad I read it.
Tina
This book really helped me to learn methods of focusing on the moment to release anxiety about the future. It's clear, simple, and concise.
Ilse
Zeer interessante kijk op het denken, waarbij de invloed van onze gedachten op onze beleving van de realiteit centraal staat.
Leo Babauta
The best book I've ever read on reducing the stress in your life and learning to live in the moment.
Lori Grant
A must-read book on time management which is a critical competency as you manage your career or startup.
Teeni
I fail at "self-help" books. But this one had some tips that I actually find myself using successfully.
Laurie
It gives great strategies for creating a more peaceful home and work life.
Magersdorf
What a simple idea for dealing with stress. Thoughts are powerful.
ValeDeOro
A great reminder of the importance to live the present moment.
Patricia Brooks
LOVE THIS AUTHOR.
  • Simplify Your Life: 100 Ways to Slow Down and Enjoy the Things That Really Matter
  • Lifehacker: Upgrade Your Life
  • The Five Things We Cannot Change: And the Happiness We Find by Embracing Them
  • The Essential Gandhi: An Anthology of His Writings on His Life, Work, and Ideas
  • Understanding the Enneagram: The Practical Guide to Personality Types
  • Radical Honesty : How to Transform Your Life by Telling the Truth
  • How to Work a Room, 25th Anniversary Edition: The Ultimate Guide to Making Lasting Connections--In Person and Online
  • The Joy of Simple Living: Over 1,500 Simple Ways to Make Your Life Easy and Content-- At Home and At Work
  • Don't Know Much About the Universe: Everything You Need to Know About Outer Space but Never Learned
  • The Relaxation Response
  • Feeding the Hungry Heart: The Experience of Compulsive Eating
  • You Can Buy Happiness (and It's Cheap): How One Woman Radically Simplified Her Life and How You Can Too
  • The Art of Extreme Self-Care: Transform Your Life One Month at a Time
  • The Enneagram: Understanding Yourself and the Others in Your Life
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Women: Simple and Practical Ways to Do What Matters Most and Find Time For You
  • How To Get What You Want And Want What You Have
  • Your Body Speaks Your Mind: Decoding the Emotional, Psychological, and Spiritual Messages That Underlie Illness
  • The Slow Fix: Solve Problems, Work Smarter and Live Better in a World Addicted to Speed
Richard Carlson Ph.D. was an author, psychotherapist, and motivational speaker, who rose to fame with the success of his best-selling book Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff…and it’s all Small Stuff (1997).

He met and married Kristine Anderson (Kris Carlson) in 1981 while he was a student at Pepperdine University in Malibu, California.

Carlson published his first book in 1985, but became famous when his Do...more
More about Richard Carlson...
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things from Taking Over Your Life Don't Sweat the Small Stuff in Love: Simple Ways to Nurture and Strengthen Your Relationships While Avoiding the Habits That Break Down Your Loving Connection Don't Sweat the Small Stuff with Your Family: Simple Ways to Keep Daily Responsibilities and Household Chaos from Taking Over Your Life Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at Work: Simple Ways to Minimize Stress and Conflict While Bringing Out the Best in Yourself and Others You Can Be Happy No Matter What: Five Principles for Keeping Life in Perspective