Start by marking “Lightning Strikes (Hudson, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lightning Strikes (Hudson, #2)

Lightning Strikes (Hudson #2)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  3,128 ratings  ·  46 reviews
RAIN HAS SEARCHED FOR A PLACE TO CALL HOME. BUT THERE'S NOWHERE TO HIDE WHEN THE NIGHT SKY LIGHTS UP WITH TERROR....

Torn from the embrace of her poor but loving family, Rain Arnold now lives surrounded by opulent riches but feels more like an outsider than ever before. Her heart's true passion -- the theater -- may prove to be her salvation, as she embarks on a journey to
Published February 8th 2011 by Pocket Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Lightning Strikes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lightning Strikes

TheFountainPenDiva
Epic Fail Alert Part Deux!!!

Yes, it behooves me to admit I read Part Two of the so-called "thrilling" Hudson series. And more than likely, I'll be reading the last one as well.

No, I lied. I'm done. I'll let some other poor sap slog through this tripe. My brain just can't take any more.

So, I left off on Point of Fail #9:The characterization of Rain's sister Beni from the first book. Why was the darker-skinned sister portrayed as the troublemaker? I think the Andrews ghost-writers need a little s
Kris
When I read these novels back in the day I would have given them 3-3.5 STARS and now would say about one Star

I started reading VC Andrews books in the 1991 and stopped about 2003.

I have read:
-Hudson Series
-Shooting Stars Series
-DeBeers Series
-Broken Wings Series

As a preteen reading these novels was a rebellion and the gothic theme also seemed cool. I stopped reading this author because
Chelsea Gouin
This is the second book in the Hudson series, featuring Rain Arnold. After getting a scholarship to a prestigious acting school, Rain is shipped off to London to live with an an aunt and uncle who don't know she's their half-neice. In true VC Andrews fashion, Rain gets into some bizarre situations while staying in a mysterious mansion.
Rain was a lot more whiny in this book than she was in the first. She was trying to "find herself" and anytime she was complimented, she went on a tirade on how
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
**Spoiler Alert**

Lightning Strikes was a good read. I have read some of the reviews on this book and I disagree with most of what I have read in them saying that this book is stereo-typical and that the author being a ghost-writer was not good. I don’t find this VC Andrew novel to be stereo typical at all. This book is the 2nd in the series about Rain, a Black and Caucasian girl who finds herself in let- down after let-down from everyone around her. VC Andrews has plenty other novels in where th
rebellyell666
Inhalt:

Die junge Rain Arnold, die in den Slums von Amerika heran gewachsen ist, findet sich plötzlich in einer Familie wieder, die reich und wohlsituiert in Richmond lebt. Die Hudsons haben die unehelich geborene Rain nach ihrer Geburt an ein armes Paar verkauft – nun ist sie in der Familie zurück. Als sie von Großmutter Hudson nach England auf eine Schule für bildende Künste geschickt wird, ahnt sie noch nicht, wie ihr weiteres Schicksal sich stricken wird…

Schreib-/Erzählstil:

Die Hudson Saga en
Roger Bailey
This is only my second V.C. Andrews book. The first one was Heaven and it has been some time since I read it, some time in terms of years, that is. I am not a V.C. Andrews fan. I just read both of these books because they came my way and I feel a compulsion to always be reading something. I think I notice a pattern about V.C. Andrews books though. I base this on the two books I have read and on bits and pieces of information that has passed my way over time. That is that V.C. Andrews writes abou ...more
Kim Smiley
Kaitlyn
I read the book called Lightning Strikes written by V.C. Andrews which is the next book after the other book I read which was called Rain. I thought the theme of this book was similar to the theme of the first book because she’s still trying to find a place where she’s loved. The theme I thought of in the last book was money or being rich can’t give love or a place to call ‘home’. Also what I think this book’s theme could be about would be to believe and to succeed. The reason why I thought of ...more
Rissy
Leslie Edwards
I remember sneaking these books from my moms book collection when I was 11 or 12. The storyline to all the ones that I have read were pretty terrible but I couldn't stop my 12 year old self from reading them! I can't say I do not like these books because I use to love them! I think I may read one at 26 and see how I feel about them.
Anne Marie
Again, this book is very similar to other books by this author. Most of the book was uneventful, and slow moving. It was no surprise that Rain's great uncle has mental issues and that she gave into having relations with Roy. Of course I want to see what happens next, though, so hopefully the story line will pick up for the next book.
Nico
one of the best, most loved series/authors of all time. V.C. Andrews books are something so easily recognizable and new books continue to evolve to go with the times and bring in a whole new generation of loving readers
Sarah Malone
It was good but in one scene Rain sees her great aunt in cottage acting like a little girl yet when she finds out that Mary Margaret is pregnant. Rain said it was her she saw. Did anyone else catch that?
Nikki Marie
v.c. andrews books are all absolutely amazing and very easily distinguishable from any other authors. i love the darkeness, secrets, lies, very addicting, i have almost every single book!
J.N.
In this second installment of the Hudson series, Rain goes to London to enroll in a famous acting school. She lives and works at her Great Aunt and Uncle's house, but they are unaware that she is related to them. In London, Rain finds new friends, a boyfriend, and even begins a journey to find her real father. But at her Great Uncle and Aunt's house, she will discover a horrifying secret . . .

I liked this book more than I remember liking it. As usual, Rain is an easy character to like and relat
Dorothy Presnell
This is second of the Hudson series. Rain found out that the parents that raised her were not her real parents. She now is living with her real grandmother in her mansion but still needs to keep secret her real identity. Her mother had her very young with an African American man.e If her real family found out there could be a scandal.
Now she is being sent to England to live with her grandmothers sister.
The reader can feel the agony she goes through keeping her secret. The horror of the secret s
Liz
I enjoyed this installment, and found the plot very interesting but slightly unusual. . . by Andrews' standards. The plot was very fast, filled with twists and turns that some of were expected, and others were not. Although this book was entertaining, it seems to lack the orginial Andrews' quality (like the De Beers,if you need an example).
The characters dont have as good of developement as past novels, but thats become expected after reading Neidermans later series.
I like the drama that this
Delicious Strawberry
This book was one of the most laughable I have ever read. It wasn't nearly as bad as any of Mr. Neiderman's newer works (April Shadows, Secrets in the Attic, etc) and had SOME traces of VCA elements in it. But still, this book was rather subpar, as was the rest of the series. Mental illness is made light of, and Rain's grandaunt and uncle are just creepy, and what great-uncle does with a servant... well, given the campiness of this book, it shouldn't be surprising. The "secrets" in this book fal ...more
Stephanie Tuell
this is the second book in the hudson series. this book was just a tiny bit better than the first. in this book, rain is sent to london to study acting at a prestigious drama school. rain finds herself in a few bad situations. she finds a few secrets that are hidden in the house of which she is staying. the secrets are so wrong, that if they were found out, the family would be ruined. when rain is called back to the states for a death in the family, she finds that war is set to begin. a war that ...more
Jodie Angeline Lee
I loved this book. Can't wait to read the next in the series.
Khyrra
Ok, I must be honest. At first, I didn't think this book would hold my interest, the way the first one did. And I'm not ashamed to say I was soooo very wrong! Now I can't wait to get the 3rd installment to this series, Eye Of The Storm. I love the way this story shows us that drama, sadness, disappointment, & grief knows no race, gender, or station in life. Awesome read!
Brandi Bates
Apr 11, 2011 Brandi Bates is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I cannot fully express my adoration of reading V.C. Andrews. And this book has reminded me why these series were some of my favorites, while growing up. Rain Arnold is a very likeable character, and Andrews a very reliable narrator. I love how she delves into the mind of a bi-racial girl and what it could have been like being raised in the ghetto of Washington D.C., but still be able to interweave life in the Old Country with its tea and crumpets and high society.
In this book, Rain goes to live with her creepy great-uncle and her lovely great-aunt. I really liked how Andrews used the peculiar cottage to really prove the strangeness throughout Rains family and how one little tragedy can change your world forever.

When in London, Rain meets Arnold. They develop a close relationship; he helps her find her real father. I loved this book!
Angel **Book Junkie**
I have always adored V.C. Andrews and the works that she produced. (Or her secret person who is publishing her work now). I think that each book takes you into a story of what could be real life but, we all know that there may be lives out there like this. I love Rain. Yes, there were portions of the book that I did not like but, I think this work of art was pretty good.
Dawn
Jan 04, 2009 Dawn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys V. C. Andrews books.
Recommended to Dawn by: I have read all of V. C. Andrews books.
This is the second book in a very enjoyable series put out in V. C. Andrews name. Though her books all revolve around constant misfortune to the main character, abandonment, rape, incest & abuse, I enjoyed this series more than some of the others recently brought out in this author's name.
Debs
Second in a trilogy and although it would stand well on its own a great progression of the amazing, powerful story of a young girl thrown into a storm. The characters are well explored as is their relationship to one another. There are some lighter moments too. All in all a fantastic book
Jackie
Patricia Atkinson
the story continues with the second book in the series as she starts to live with her great aunt and uncle who have no idea who is is.she finds her real father and works towards becoming an actress and still everyone is disowning her.
Nicole Mathias
Tina86
not as good as the first novel in the series. I also think i may be growing out of these VC Andrews books...sad really...I've always enjoyed reading these twisted stories.
  • Virus (Med Center, #1)
  • Beach Party (Point Horror, #8)
  • De Gelukkige Huisvrouw (Dutch Edition)
  • Nightshade
  • Journey's End
  • Malice
  • The Manse
  • The Dragon Done It
  • Teacher's Pet (Point Horror, #10)
  • Every Pearl Has Its Oyster (Hidden Gem, #4)
  • My Beloved Son
  • Sacred Intentions (Arrington #3)
  • Fangs: The Vampire Archives, Volume 2
  • Wishes in the Wind
Books published under the following names - Virginia Andrews, V. Andrews, Virginia C. Andrews & V.C. Endrius. Books since her death ghost written by Andrew Neiderman, but still attributed to the V.C. Andrews name

Virginia Cleo Andrews (born Cleo Virginia Andrews) was born June 6, 1923 in Portsmouth, Virginia. The youngest child and the only daughter of William Henry Andrews, a career navy man w
More about V.C. Andrews...

Hudson (6 books)
  • Gathering Clouds (Hudson, #.5)
  • Rain (Hudson, #1)
  • Eye of the Storm (Hudson, #3)
  • The End of the Rainbow (Hudson, #4)
  • De Hudson omnibus
Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger, #1) Petals on the Wind (Dollanganger, #2) If There Be Thorns (Dollanganger, #3) Seeds of Yesterday (Dollanganger, #4) Garden of Shadows (Dollanganger, #5)