The Carpenter's Lady

The Carpenter's Lady

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  653 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Shaken by a painful divorce, successful television writer Debra Barry leaves New York for the beautiful countryside of New Hampshire, where she hopes to find peace and solitude to mend her wounded heart. The old house she's bought, though, needs as much repairing as her own shattered emotions. To make it the home she's always wanted, she seeks the help of master cerpenter...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Carpenter's Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Carpenter's Lady

Susannah
Dec 04, 2011 Susannah rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Absolutely no one
Shelves: reviewed
Yeah, no.

This book is a re-issue of an edition that was first published in the early 1990s, but originally the story itself was written and published in 1983. It seems rather sad to look back through the window of time and wonder, is this what passed for acceptable romance twenty to thirty years ago? Really? If so, no wonder this genre has the reputation it does. This book is really, really horrible. I couldn't finish it - and that's saying something. I feel compelled to warn readers about certa...more
Dyana
This is an early Barbara Delinsky romance novel. It is well-written fluff and a fast read and I liked it - guilty, guilty! Debra Barry is a newly divorced (cheating husband) soap-opera script writer who moves from New York to the New Hampshire countryside to start over. Graham Reid is a successful architect who had moved to New Hampshire many years earlier to work with his hands as a carpenter because his ex-wife had destroyed his relationship with his daughter. Debra buys an old house that need...more
Rhonda Rae Baker
Loved this book's emotion and adventure. Extremely delightful!

Am very happy that I gave the premise of 'romantic novel' a chance. The setting descriptions were so vivid and exciting, I couldn't put it down and if it weren't for a paying job, this story would have ravenously been devoured in one setting...(-:

It's all about taking second chances on happiness. I'm all too aware that this can only happen after you break free from the chains of previous relationships and heartaches. Break free from p...more
Marilyn
Debra Barry is determined to move on with her life after having found her husband cheating on her. Fortunately for Deborah, she can work her job as a script writer for television from anywhere in the world. She has bought an old house in New Hampshire, in need of remodel, but with tremendous character. Having found the perfect man for doing the repair and design she's having a hard time reconciling her attraction to him with her need to remain focused on the remodel job and her script work. Spar...more
Lindsay Nelson
It was a nice, easy read. A little smutty, but that's what makes it good.
Debbie George
Predictable but I adore Barbara Delinsky!
Mary Gramlich
When you move forward do you have to leave your past behind?

Debra Berry has said goodbye to her cheating husband, over bearing family and hello to a life that will be one she creates. Debra has so many possibilities of where to go from here, especially with the new house she just bought and the career she is so successful at. The house is a mess but she owns it and nothing from the past can spoil this dream.

She hires the best carpenter in town, Graham Reid who is less than anxious to take the j...more
Louise
This novel is one of Delinsky's older books originally written in 1983 and re-published by Harper Collins. Although I enjoyed the story, it was a little too much of a romancy type story for me.

"Shaken by a painful divorce, successful television writer Debra Barry leaves New York for the beautiful countryside of New Hampshire, where she hopes to find peace and solitude to mend her wounded heart. The old house she's bought, though, needs as much repairing as her own shattered emotions. To make it...more
Christianne
I really like this story. First half was a bit dull then when I started reading the second half, BOOM!, can't put the book down until it was finish.

First half was all blurry. It felt like the author wasn't really sure what to do with the characters. And then continues on to the second half, and they like molded to each other. It felt like everything was put in the right place at the right time. They both held onto each other neither one having second thoughts of letting go. And it was really...more
Barbara
This was a pretty good romance. I didn't really feel there were any great surprises.
Lori
This was not my favorite novel of Barbara Delinsky, but it was okay.
Kathy
the title says it... a carpenter (okay, he's also an architect) and a lady (okay, she's had a little money, and lived in new york). they both have lived in the fast life, and have moved to the country. She's a successful soap opera writer who divorced her husband/mentor after she found out about his affair. He was a successful architect who left for the quiet life and working with his hands when his rich exwife sabatoged his relationship with his daughter.
Kendra
I was hoping for something along the lines of the movie "Under the Tuscan Sun" with some romance. That is NOT what I got. The 2 main characters practically jumped all over each other within the first couple of pages. And the "hero" was a jerk. I just couldn't relate so I finally gave up on it. Thank goodness I just picked it up at the thrift store.
Natalya
This book was terrible, but mostly because I love Delinsky for her later novels and this was typical romance trash written probably in her adolescence when brawny workmen were too hot to write sensible dialogue about. In all fairness, there is one time towards the end when father/daughter relationship is discussed I saw a glimpse of her good writing to be.
Hortencia
This is the first book of Delinsky's that I've read, and from what I understand, her first. This might sound bland, but it was a nice book. The characters were likable, the setting was pleasant, the story simple. Not the most memorable book I've read, but... nice.
Jacque
There were some funny parts to this book, mostly revolving around Debra's career writing soaps. I felt the men a little shallow. Graham immediately wants nothing to do with her because she is an attractive female, and her ex-husband is beyond self-involved.
Dixie
Another romance novel. Starting to remember why I haven't read this type of book for 10 years. They're predictable and boring! The women pour their heart out to the men immediately upon meeting and the men hold everything back!
Dannae
I have read this book twice now. I absolutely love it. I love how Debra decides to take her life back and live on her own terms. The attraction between her and the carpenter make for a great story. Definitely read this book!
Lisa Currier
An older book. While I enjoyed it, it was a quick, easy read, I didn't feel there was alot of character development until the end. Then it felt like a way to tie up the story.
Judith
Very light, easy reading. I liked it because it moved quickly and was easy to pick up and put down. Nice story, nothing mind boggling...and you can finish it quickly.
Tracy
Predictable and a bit too Harlequin for me - although I have read many of her newer books before and this is quite an older book so it's one of her earlier.
Jennifer McMurrain
I really enjoyed this book, all the way to the ending. Then the climax was a big let down. Things were fixed just a little to easy for my taste.
Nan Williams
Totally predictable.
I read e-book new release.
I kept thinking something was going to happen, but it didn't.
Waste of time.
Amkemp Kemp
Very different from her others. Didn't realize it was an older book until she mentioned watching a TV show on betamax!
Deanna Tuck
This was not my favorite book by this author. It was just ok. I don't like when every little expression is described.
Dawn Mcnulty kelly
I was raised by the rule, if you can't say anything nice font say anything at all. Read something else. Anything else.
Dawn
It's been a while since I read this one, yet I remember it fondly. I will add it to my re-read list!
Emily
Obviously one of Delinsky's earlier works and it shows. I'll stick with her recent works from now on.
Diana
Loved this book. Would love to see the house the Carpenter's Lady renovated. Great, great read!
Loni
I read this one 2x it was great. tells how we can change our lifestyle with a little work
  • A Baby For Emily (Silhouette Special Edition #1466)
  • Chain Lightning
  • The Great Scot (Chisholm Brothers, #2)
  • Annie's Rainbow
  • Claimed: The Pregnant Heiress (The Takeover #1)
  • Immediate Family
  • The Perfect Summer
  • Bygones
  • The Devil's Lady (de Laci, #1)
  • The McCaffertys: Matt (McCaffertys)
  • Morning Comes Softly
  • Home Before Dark
  • Lady in Black
  • Rhiannon (The Roselynde Chronicles, #5)
  • The Deception (Baron, #3)
  • Mourn The Living
  • The Best Mistake
I was born and raised in suburban Boston. My mother’s death, when I was eight, was the defining event of a childhood that was otherwise ordinary. I took piano lessons and flute lessons. I took ballroom dancing lessons. I went to summer camp through my fifteenth year (in Maine, which explains the setting of so many of my stories), then spent my sixteenth summer learning to type and to drive (two sk...more
More about Barbara Delinsky...
Not My Daughter While My Sister Sleeps The Secret Between Us Coast Road Family Tree