The Balloon Tree

The Balloon Tree

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  488 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Little princess Leora likes balloons very much, but her evil uncle hates balloons and he destroys all the balloons except one.
Published October 1st 1997 by Firefly Books (first published January 1st 1984)

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinCharlotte's Web by E.B. White
Best children's books EVER
182nd out of 956 books — 1,207 voters
The Balloon Tree by Phoebe GilmanLove You Forever by Robert MunschThe Paper Bag Princess by Robert MunschJillian Jiggs by Phoebe GilmanJelly Belly by Dennis Lee
Canadian Books for Young Children
1st out of 35 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Kimikimi
I remember this book! In fact I remember that I adored this book, but in the years between I had forgotten it completely until a chance mention reminded me again. Since I work in a library I ran to the shelves, grabbed it and read it again.

This book is charming and whimsical and I would read it to every child, but especially a girl child because it doesn't talk about being pretty or wearing pink or etc. Leona just is a child and she goes out and fixes a mess that a grown adult made to make her...more
Anne
"Moon balloon, moon balloon, tickle the tree.
Four balloons, more balloons, blossom for me."

Little girls especially love the adventure of Princess Liora and her little dog. The illustrations are beautiful, and it is one of the many legacies that Phoebe Gilman has left behind.
My favorite book as a little girl is still a favorite now, as a preschool teacher and as an auntie to a little princess of my own! Girls and boys both in my 3-4 class love it - there aren't many books of this length that younger children will sit through, but it's a regular occurrence for us.

Recommend to kids of all ages! A classic for sure.
Brady Pullman
I think this is a fun story and there are a few teaching opportunities. At one point a little boy gives his last balloon to help the princess. I could use this to teach my students about generosity or the concept of being selfless. There is also an opportunity to talk about littering and environmental sustainability.
Reno (Falling Letters)
I love the colourful illustrations of this book when I was a child - and I still love them now!
Valerie Keith
Phoebe Gilman was an awesome writer. I miss her literary works with their rhythmic words.
Courtney
One of my absolute favourite children's books
Caitlin
Of all of the books I remember from my childhood, this one stands out as a favourite.

A feisty princess, an evil uncle, a secret passage in a castle, and ultimate victory (of course). What else could a little girl ask for in her literature?

The story features a strong main character, there are great messages about standing up for yourself and judging people by their actions and not their titles, and the art work is colourful and exciting.

I'm going to get this book for my kids some day!
Mckinley
Fairy-tale-esque
Bookslut
This book was nice because it's an actual fairytale, instead of a spin-off fairytale or a fairytale with a twist that makes it funny, or ironic, or modern. It's nice to find a book that is just a fairytale. The girls loved it. The illustrations are beautiful.
Allison
This was one of my favourtie books as a kid. I would ask my mom to read it to me again and again. There are wonderful illustrations and a truly magical story.
Read it to your kids! They will love it!
Victoria
This was always my favourite book growing up. The illustrations are beautiful and the story is perfect, and I don't say that lightly. It was a wonderful, unique, different fairytale. I still love it.
Heather R
A fun story to act out.
Thebruce1314
A simple tale, that sounds a little familiar with the exception of the balloons. Beautiful, colourful illustrations make the story stand out.
Lucy Winnowski
Sep 26, 2007 Lucy Winnowski rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any girl who likes balloons...
I must have read this book 50 times when I was little. I loved just pouring over the beautiful pictures, imagining myself the Princess...
Polly
If anything is better than a classic wicked-uncle fairy tale with a feisty heroine and lots of balloons, I don't know what it is!
Gemma
This is a wonderful story enhanced by detailed, colorful illustrations that play on the imagination. A tree that grows balloons!
Alicia C
One of my favourite childhood stories. Ever since I read this book, i have been so fascinated with secret passageways
Jasmine P
Jan 19, 2008 Jasmine P rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any one
Shelves: childhood
I loved this book at school and have been looking everywhere to buy a copy. Illustrations are beautiful.
Harmony
Basically my favourite children's book ever. Absolutely gorgeous illustrations, sweet story.
One of my all time favourites as a child! Can't wait to share it with my own kids!
Michelle
William brought this home from the library. It is a wonderful fairytale.
Dijon Chiasson
A very charming and magical book, with gorgeous illustrations.
Mandy
My daughter and I absolutely LOVE Phoebe Gilman's picture books!!!
Fire_Dragon_
the illistrations were really good, lots of deatail
Luisa
Coco said she remembered reading this one as a kid.
Juweria
OMG!!!! THIS WAS MY FAVORITE BOOK WHEN I WAS A KID!<3
Amy
beautiful book and what illustrations. is a terrific book.
Ania
Beautifully illustrated but the story is much too simple.
Renee
One of the first books I loved as a child.
  • A Promise Is a Promise
  • Red Is Best
  • Chester (Chester)
  • The Busy Beaver
  • Stella, Queen of the Snow
  • Looking At The Moon (The Guests of War Trilogy, #2)
What can I tell you about myself? I like to make up stories and draw pictures. I like to go ice skating, to the movies and I love reading books.

I was born and grew up in the Bronx, New York. My Mother loved to read so it was only natural that my brothers and I got our own library cards as soon as we were able to print our names. My favorite books were fairy tales. When the pictures didn't match t...more
More about Phoebe Gilman...
Something From Nothing Jillian Jiggs The Wonderful Pigs of Jillian Jiggs Grandma and the Pirates Jillian Jiggs to The Rescue