Start by marking “Zondervan NIV Matthew Henry Commentary” as Want to Read:
Zondervan NIV Matthew Henry Commentary

Zondervan NIV Matthew Henry Commentary (Matthew Henry's Commentary #1-6)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  2,084 ratings  ·  40 reviews
As the anticipated one-volume edition of the classic devotional commentary, this single book preserves, in condensed form, all that is most valuable and timely in the original multi-volume edition.
ebook, 2000 pages
Published September 21st 2010 by Zondervan (first published January 1st 1710)

To ask other readers questions about Zondervan NIV Matthew Henry Commentary, please sign up.

Jo The really diligent employ foresight as well as labour.

Kristen Stieffel
I read through this commentary over about a year and a quarter as I did a chronological reading of the Bible. I used the Olive Tree Bible Study app, which synched my daily readings with the commentary. This was a great way to read through the Bible. Henry's comments illuminate the text and place everything in the Old Testament in context of our understanding of Christ. I appreciated the insight into finding the savior in the OT. Henry's text makes for a great devotional, as it often challenges t ...more
Benjamin
I haven't read this in entirety, nor do I really want to put it as currently-reading, because it's a whole Bible study series, I doubt I'd ever either say I've 'read' it, but it'd be on currently-reading forever if I did that.

This series is often helpful in drawing your attention to God's glory & Christ throughout the Bible. I don't know if MH relied on just his English translation or Greek & Hebrew, some of his interpretations do seem to be found only in the KJV - while a good, faithful
Kevin Driskill
This is a wonderful commentary. It is very old but the subject has not changed so it is as accurate today as when it was written. This is a source I go to often to stimulate a deeper consideration of a text. It is very rich and truly plumbs the depths of every passage in a near exhaustive manner. That being said it can be very dense and somewhat overwhelming to some readers. I see it as a means to stimulate thought about a passage rather than a strict interpretation. Henry speculates and expound ...more
Chris
A great many excellent pastoral insights into God's written word are contained in this volume. Useful for devotions, but not, of course, more techinical concerns.
Lee
The concise commentary is what I use on a daily basis, and it's in nice bite size chapter portions. Wise man. Love this commentary.
Erik
Dec 27, 2011 Erik is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I have used this standard Bible Commentary for many years, but only in the abridged editions available. Many Christian friends have informed me that these often miss out many important points that Matthew Henry makes to illuminate the Word of God and apply it to our hearts and life situations. So I have decided to take the plunge and managed to obtain the unabridged one volume version for $29.97 which I consider to be a great bargain for the golden nuggets it contains. If you are not very good w ...more
Royal A.
No indexing

I love this book in hardcopy format, but not in Kindle format due to its difficulty in searching for passages.
Cheryl Jordan
As a layperson wanting to go deeper in the Bible and to more fully understand what I am reading, this commentary is a tremendous asset.
S. Sloan
I love studying the Bible. Matthew Henry's Commentary was a great help in studying the scriptures.
Eric
This is my "go-to" commentary for reading the Bible and helping to understand it.
Linda
A detailed exegetical commentary, filled with pearls of wisdom and knowledge.
Ed Wojniak
A great devotional read. Absolutely the best of its kind.
Blanca Irons
All over this commentary- eloquent & practical
Nicole Rose
Matthew Henry certainly has a gift for turning phrases, and he does a good job of giving a practical application for the passages that he is working on (his preaching side comes through in many expanded notes!). This commentary, often available in a concise version online, is a heavy go for first-time researchers. Keep in mind that he was studying and writing in the early 1700s, and people thought, spoke and wrote differently in that time. Wisdom abounds, for those with the patience to pick thro ...more
Mitch
Jan 25, 2013 Mitch rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any student of scripture
Fantastic reference to aid in the understanding of proper exegetical study, context, purpose, intent, and meaning of every passage in the Bible. A timeless work that will help you further appreciate the Holy Bible and will bring you to a deeper understanding for application of scripture in your daily life (and every time you encounter scripture).

Matthew Henry was a master of study and his works have continued even today to appreciate the most important guide we have, the Holy Bible!

Grace to you,
Frankie
Wonderful, clear and applicable.
Trice
May 22, 2011 Trice rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Trice by: JR
Back in 2001 I was introduced to this during a group Bible study on Romans - truly revealing thoughts.

I've now gone back to it for reference during some difficult reading in Leviticus and found it once again thoroughly helpful.

Using it online right now (http://www.ccel.org/ccel/henry/mhc1.i...), but seriously contemplating purchasing this version.
Hannah
I love this! My family has owned the six volume set, originally my great-grandfather's, for years, but I never really got into it until I bought the study Bible a few years ago. I love his classic wisdom! I can also recommend the smartphone/tablet app. It's well worth the couple dollars, is searchable, and is complete.
Bob Ladwig
One of the must have commentaries for any serious Bible student. Henry's depth and precision are remarkable as well as his ability to apply the word to the reader. If your library is to have but one bible commentary this is the one to have.
Annette Godwin
I'm emjoying using it as a guide to study. I bought it for help with Proverbs, but was excited to find all Henry's work in one handy volume for my Nook. It is easy to scoot back and forth between this and my NIV.

A
D. L.
This is a wonderful study addition for the Pastor/Teacher. I refer to Henry's commentary whenever I want to expound on the Word of God. The commentary brings to life the Logos, Pathos, and ethos of the scriptures.
John
...a must have resource for Christian thought.

Matthew Henry has, perhaps more than any other author, shaped my view of Scripture. His commentaries are conservative, scholarly and well-balanced.
Rick Metrick
A classic commentary . . . it will keep you grounded in truth and expand your understanding of God's Word. A must for the library of and child of God interested in the knowledge of the Holy.
Lisa
Want a one stop location for Bible commentary? Then this is the one to choose. Matthew Henry does a super job on showing readers exactly what God was saying in His Word.
Sue
I love this commentary. It is so insightful and really aids in understanding the Scriptures. It is an indispensable tool when doing any type of Bible study.
Wayne
A classic, it can be a bit overwhelming for the average reader due to its size and vocabulary -- it is a large, heavy book and was written in 1706!
Ann
Haven't read it entirely since it's more the type of book I'll use as a reference, but it is excellent and a great addition to anyone's library.
Cult
An absolutely must-have for anyone wanting insights from one of our Christian forefathers. Outstanding credibility. Wonderful content.
Debbie
I haven't even put a dent in this book, but I love it so far. You could read this book over and over and always learn something new!
Andrew
Currently proofreading a new edition of this for Zondervan, abridged and unabridged. It is quite a beast, but also very enlightening.
Matthew Henry as a Bible Commentator 4 19 Dec 28, 2014 12:28PM
  • Commentary on Galatians
  • G.K. Chesterton: The Apostle of Common Sense
  • The Book of the Acts, Revised
  • Zondervan Handbook to the Bible
  • Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words: With Topical Index
  • The Epistle to the Romans
  • John (St. Andrew's Expositional Commentary)
  • The First Epistle to the Corinthians
  • Peace with God: The Secret Happiness
  • Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament
  • The IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament
  • New Bible Commentary
  • Spurgeon's Sermons Vol. 1-10 (5 double volumes)
  • The MacArthur Study Bible (NKJV)
Matthew Henry was an English non-conformist clergyman. Henry's well-known Exposition of the Old and New Testaments (1708–1710) is a commentary of a practical and devotional rather than of a critical kind, covering the whole of the Old Testament, and the Gospels and Acts in the New Testament.
More about Matthew Henry...

Matthew Henry's Commentary (5 books)
  • Joshua to Esther (Matthew Henry's Commentary #2)
  • Job-Song of Solomon (Matthew Henry's Commentary, #3)
  • Isaiah to Malachi (Matthew Henry's Commentary, #4)
  • A Church in the House: Restoring Daily Worship to the Christian Household
  • Acts to Revelation (Matthew Henry's Commentary, #6)
A Method for Prayer: Freedom in the face of God The Quest for Meekness and Quietness of Spirit A Church in the House: Restoring Daily Worship to the Christian Household Experiencing God's Presence Matthew Henry Daily Readings

“Extraordinary afflictions are not always the punishment of extraordinary sins, but sometimes the trial of extraordinary graces.” 138 likes
“The woman was made of a rib out of the side of Adam; not made out of his head to rule over him, nor out of his feet to be trampled upon by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be beloved.” 114 likes