Start by marking “Spaniel Rage” as Want to Read:
Spaniel Rage

Spaniel Rage

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  12 reviews

A graphic novel collection of the artist's three self-published diary comics, plus anthology contributions and more. "Miss Davis's comics are charming, funny and honest, with a mysterious, compelling rhythm that is all her own." -Daniel Clowes. "Vanessa Davis' principal character is a young woman whose Renoiresque form belies her seething inner life... We follow a young wo

Published December 31st 2005 by Buenaventura Press

To ask other readers questions about Spaniel Rage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spaniel Rage

This is a collection of Vanessa Davis's journal entries over a couple of years. I liked it because you can't really peice together everything, but there are just charming snippets. She obsesses about her hair and sits around in her underwear at home a lot, which might not sound engaging, but it really was. It is inspiring to do more journal-entries-as-comics i think.
I picked this graphic novel up initially because the drawing style reminded me of Lynda Barry. The drawings have a similar crude, yet secretly really skilled kind of quality that I like a lot and I like that the book is in a diary format. The writing isn't ground-breaking or anything, but it's got a nice day-in-the-life pacing to it.
Personal bloggers retire every day. It happens in waves in my Google Reader. Two down here, two down there. No one wants to fill the internet with the inane details of a day anymore. Unfortunately, that’s still what I like to read. I call it “The Curse of Knowing Who Eric Nies Is Syndrome,” or “Coming of Age at the Onset of Reality Television.” More than status updates and Tweets and links on Google+. I’m a sucker for the “And then we went to Trader Joe’s and I couldn’t find my car keys and.”

It could be my attention span, but I can't help but love reading pictures right now. It is instantaneous communication where there is no separation between the aesthetics and storytelling. Yea, pictures! I was delighted to find a copy of Vanessa Davis' book at the bookstore and get a chance to see what came before Make Me a Woman. It is still amazing art of honest autobiographic snippets. I was trying to think what about the pictures makes it feel so compelling and I think it may be the perspect ...more
Loved this collection / scrapbook. Many of these pages were filled with short comics. Others were sketches / cartoons that were still very funny and VERY insightful. I laughed and felt very connected with Vanessa Davis through this. No big single story, just a really great scrapbook of comics and cartoons by an incredible comics author!
Goofy, self-deprecating, unbearably hip auto-bio comics. It's hard to even use the word "comics" because they are really just odd ball sketches. Do you wear a resigned half smile while pondering the randomness of being in your 20's? If so, this book is all you. (Actually, I saw Ms. Davis at Reading Frenzy two years ago and she was hilarious! But ultimately this stuff is not my cup of tea.)
Autobiographical, sketch-a-day format. Makes me want to try it, too! Maybe if I practice enough, I could draw. Hmmm...

I love how Davis draws herself, and represents herself so unself-consciously. I want to be her friend!
Nat Smith
didn't realize there were more sketches with captions than storylines. Still, you can see the growth in her and her work, very accessible, but the full length stories at the end were more my style.
Aug 06, 2007 jenne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
best comics ever. its sorta roz chast without the oneliner, autobiographical and a little too heartbreakingly true to life.
Adam Hodgins
some hilarious stuff in here, my favourite is the one panel about listening to Cat Power
lucy by the sea
kindof ya but not ya. nice short read and the last story is heaps funny.
Vanessa Davis, pls be my friend.
Freema Telotoy
Freema Telotoy marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Amber marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Chloe A-L
Chloe A-L marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Art Thomas
Art Thomas marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Nichole marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Katie marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Ariel marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Lily Rojo
Lily Rojo marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Johanna marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014