Start by marking “Spaniel Rage” as Want to Read:
Spaniel Rage

Spaniel Rage

“I love [Davis’s] free-form drawing . . . She just has a funny, truthful voice.” —Audrey Niffenegger

Vanessa Davis’s autobiography, more observational than confessional, delighted readers ten years ago when she first began telling stories about her life in New York as a young single Jewish woman. Spaniel Rage is filled with frank and immediate pencil-drawn accounts of datin
Published June 1st 2007 by Buenaventura Press (first published December 31st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Spaniel Rage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spaniel Rage

Kevin
Casual and fun. Like hanging out with a good friend.
Serena
Apr 16, 2017 Serena rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nope. Just no. I love a good diary comic but this was hot mess.
Kristian Wilson
Feb 21, 2017 Kristian Wilson rated it really liked it

In 2003, an artist living her post-college life in New York City made it her mission to draw one thing every day. Vanessa Davis didn't always manage to meet her goals, but the resulting book, Spaniel Rage is well worth the effort.

The most striking thing about Spaniel Rage is how relevant it feels today. Davis' illustrations date to 2003, and the book was originally published in 2005 by a now-defunct press. (Drawn + Quarterly re-released Spaniel Rage in 2017.) A lot has changed in that time, but

Marissa
Apr 22, 2008 Marissa rated it liked it
Shelves: comix
I picked this graphic novel up initially because the drawing style reminded me of Lynda Barry. The drawings have a similar crude, yet secretly really skilled kind of quality that I like a lot and I like that the book is in a diary format. The writing isn't ground-breaking or anything, but it's got a nice day-in-the-life pacing to it.
Megan
Jan 27, 2008 Megan rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is a collection of Vanessa Davis's journal entries over a couple of years. I liked it because you can't really peice together everything, but there are just charming snippets. She obsesses about her hair and sits around in her underwear at home a lot, which might not sound engaging, but it really was. It is inspiring to do more journal-entries-as-comics i think.
Rebecca McNutt
Jun 17, 2016 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was amazing
A uniquely-drawn and vibrant graphic novel, Spaniel Rage is unlike anything I've ever read and it was a great story, too. :)
christa
May 28, 2012 christa rated it liked it
Personal bloggers retire every day. It happens in waves in my Google Reader. Two down here, two down there. No one wants to fill the internet with the inane details of a day anymore. Unfortunately, that’s still what I like to read. I call it “The Curse of Knowing Who Eric Nies Is Syndrome,” or “Coming of Age at the Onset of Reality Television.” More than status updates and Tweets and links on Google+. I’m a sucker for the “And then we went to Trader Joe’s and I couldn’t find my car keys and.”

Cu
Dec 24, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
It could be my attention span, but I can't help but love reading pictures right now. It is instantaneous communication where there is no separation between the aesthetics and storytelling. Yea, pictures! I was delighted to find a copy of Vanessa Davis' book at the bookstore and get a chance to see what came before Make Me a Woman. It is still amazing art of honest autobiographic snippets. I was trying to think what about the pictures makes it feel so compelling and I think it may be the perspect ...more
Thomas
Aug 05, 2012 Thomas rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Goofy, self-deprecating, unbearably hip auto-bio comics. It's hard to even use the word "comics" because they are really just odd ball sketches. Do you wear a resigned half smile while pondering the randomness of being in your 20's? If so, this book is all you. (Actually, I saw Ms. Davis at Reading Frenzy two years ago and she was hilarious! But ultimately this stuff is not my cup of tea.)
Shoshanna
Oct 20, 2014 Shoshanna rated it it was amazing
Loved this collection / scrapbook. Many of these pages were filled with short comics. Others were sketches / cartoons that were still very funny and VERY insightful. I laughed and felt very connected with Vanessa Davis through this. No big single story, just a really great scrapbook of comics and cartoons by an incredible comics author!
Margot
Autobiographical, sketch-a-day format. Makes me want to try it, too! Maybe if I practice enough, I could draw. Hmmm...

I love how Davis draws herself, and represents herself so unself-consciously. I want to be her friend!
Nat Smith
Jan 16, 2008 Nat Smith rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
didn't realize there were more sketches with captions than storylines. Still, you can see the growth in her and her work, very accessible, but the full length stories at the end were more my style.
Simon Sweetman
May 26, 2016 Simon Sweetman rated it really liked it
Loved this, crude in some cases, hilarious and like an oversized 'zine essentially...a series of journal/diary drawings taken over a year or so...some great threads and some wonderful nonsense too.
P.
Jun 25, 2009 P. rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, nonfic
Vanessa Davis, pls be my friend.
jenne
Aug 06, 2007 jenne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
best comics ever. its sorta roz chast without the oneliner, autobiographical and a little too heartbreakingly true to life.
lucy by the sea
Nov 23, 2009 lucy by the sea rated it really liked it
kindof ya but not ya. nice short read and the last story is heaps funny.
Susie
Susie rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2008
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it it was ok
Feb 14, 2016
Tamah White
Tamah White rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2017
Andie
Andie rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2017
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2011
Colleen
Colleen rated it it was ok
Jun 25, 2007
Tatiana
Tatiana rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2011
Nana Yeah
Nana Yeah rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2013
Vivian
Vivian rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2017
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2011
Pamster
Pamster rated it it was ok
Apr 22, 2009
Elliott Elijah nelson
Elliott Elijah nelson rated it did not like it
Mar 19, 2017
Rebecca Epstein
Rebecca Epstein rated it did not like it
Jan 20, 2017
Alej
Alej rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2013